• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

royalan

They could've totally Algernon'd her and things probably would've been fine...

Besides the fact that Maeve is literally programmed to be a sexually manipulative and had those gaffers whipped, I don't think they thought they could. Someone (Arnold) with much higher clearance had already gone in and set her base attributes to what they were.

That tour was such a good scene. Worked as a emotional moment and world-building

Also Maeve manipulating them makes sense when you realizes she's basically a super-advanced chatbot probably able to perceive and extrapolate from micro-expressions and whatnot

Sean C

Newton is awesome in this part (in the debate over AI intelligence, it's interesting to see a person essentially alter their own personality made-to-order).

When Bernard declined Elsie's initial call to go in and speak with Theresa about the problem, I was momentarily expecting her to take him out. Though it turns out it was Elsie who fell victim.

I read somewhere that Tessa Thompson was supposed to be appearing in this show, but it had slipped my mind, so I was surprised to see her pop up.

Kerned

Banned
I don't buy that the two technicians would have any motivation to help Maive. I feel that the writers did a poor job establishing why they were helping her and this week's scenes with her fell flat for me as a result. I liked the Radiohead tour sequence, but i was very distracted by the implausibility of that tech being able to just walk her around with no one questioning it.

Makai

hui7gF7.png
5761e3f97c5da1361b39a26129ebbfd5.jpg

They even played the movie sound effect and showed the V/ logo

phaonaut

Was just about to come say this. Why didn't they just lower every stat?

Morbid curiosity.

I'm curious what the outside world is like. Is this place a Vegas type place where all this stuff is allow? Can a person own one of these privately? Are there lesser versions working as maids etc.

Sanjuro

I don't buy that the two technicians would have any motivation to help Maive. I feel that the writers did a poor job establishing why they were helping her and this week's scenes with her fell flat for me as a result. I liked the Radiohead tour sequence, but i was very distracted by the implausibility of that tech being able to just walk her around with no one questioning it.

She doesn't have sharp knees, so...

The first guy, I can see. He's obviously fascinated with AI and hosts and probably sees this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

The second guy, I didn't buy him helping

pargonta

really good episode. felt alot more focused. the directing style even, from the first scene, was more composed. great stuff

Loam

Ok. Hands down my favorite episode yet, but honestly, they couldn't find a better way for Maeve to up her stats? The show manages to balance several narratives at once with some solid writing, but the robot uprising starts because two technicians couldn't think of maybe turning the sliders down instead of up? In that situation why on earth would you listen to the crazy manipulative robot instead of just turning her into a vegetable?

EDIT:
So, has the theory that Arnold is an out of control AI in the system been proposed yet?
Oh, I'd be willing to bet Arnold is going to be a ghost in the machine type deal.

Also I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one wondering why the hell you wouldn't just bottom out Maeve numbers.

royalan

That part I didn't have problem with, mostly because I get the impression that Delos' company culture is extremely cellular, to the point that you could be completely oblivious to what the people in the very next office are doing. Other techs probably saw him walking around with Maeve and thought, "Fucking [insert department here]..."

Ok. Hands down my favorite episode yet, but honestly, they couldn't find a better way for Maeve to up her stats? The show manages to balance several narratives at once with some solid writing, but the robot uprising starts because two technicians couldn't think of maybe turning the sliders down instead of up? In that situation why on earth would you listen to the crazy manipulative robot instead of just turning her into a vegetable?
Never underestimate human stupidity and curiosity. That's a more likely cause than an AI getting there by itself

Ploid 3.0

Besides the fact that Maeve is literally programmed to be a sexually manipulative and had those gaffers whipped, I don't think they thought they could. Someone (Arnold) with much higher clearance had already gone in and set her base attributes to what they were.

Yeah she played them like a fiddle. Heck she would have been able to charm me too. "Please goddess Maeve, when I help you ascend into your greatness, take me with you." She also promised them profits of some sort, I didn't catch that. Maybe they will be protected and kept as pets.

Helmholtz

Great episode, one of the best so far. Loved the scene of Maeve walking through the facility with motion picture sound track in the background.

Fuck, I can't get over how stupid the scene with the two guys was. I mean, just lower her attributes and clean up the mess you created.

That was weak. I couldn't accept it.

Honestly it seems reminiscent of the Jurassic Park "spared no expense" narrative irony where, in Westworld's case, the hiring budget was cut enough for the folks managing Maeve's recovery are just not smart/talented enough to rise up to the job and sophistication of the park when something truly unexpected happened. Expenses were spared, and the consequences are happening.

Kerned

Banned
I feel like there was some good supporting evidence for the two timeline theory this week. Elsie (?) says that something is transmitting to some of the older hosts using a system they haven't used in decades. We are seeing Dolores being spoken to with that system in both timelines, one decades ago and one in the present day.

Also, there was an old logo on the old computer system in the old, seemingly hastily abandoned lower levels. It was prominently in frame, they are showing the audience this stuff for a reason.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So was the lounge area for guests too? Figured it was basically a break room for the employees
It's the guest resort, guest stay there at the end of their trip.

LEAVING THE PARK
Even humans need to recalibrate — Westworld is an experience like no other and we have designed the world's finest decompression chamber: the Mesa Gold. At the conclusion of your stay, begin the process of dipping your toe back into the real world: swap adventure stories with other guests, drink award-winning cocktails, experience food prepared by world-renowned chefs, burn off adrenaline at professional-grade athletic complexes. Even here, you can fulfill your every desire.

TTG

That doesn't even make the top 3 fuck ups this episode:

1. The most cliche oblivious character getting ambushed set up I've seen possibly ever.
2. New high executive doing some reconnaissance on the down low to the embarrassment of present staff.
3. Whoops, those ropes weren't tied well enough! Now everyone's dead.
4. I'm here tinkering with your personality, but don't worry, I'm not touching the combative slider. Or, you know, like the coordination thing so when you reach for that scalpel you trip and fall.
5. I guess I'll help because all of a sudden I want to establish a black market prostitution gig.

Yea, your thing comes in fifth.

Sanjuro

Fuck, I can't get over how stupid the scene with the two guys was. I mean, just lower her attributes and clean up the mess you created.

Out of everything that has happened on the program so far, I'm having a difficult time believing this is the part going over the line for some.

Curious, not stupid. Also they probably couldn't lower any of her settings due to the changes made by higher up

Top Bottom