• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Fuck, I can't get over how stupid the scene with the two guys was. I mean, just lower her attributes and clean up the mess you created.

That was weak. I couldn't accept it.

She sees them slide it down instead of up and grabs the knife and slots their throat?

They were scared and she had them by the balls.

It's way too easy to pair some Radiohead with your TV show about robots man. It just comes across as way too corny for me.

At least it wasn't Paranoid Android lol, would of been hilarious just to overlay that song on a scene. I'll give them a pass considering these are their own covers too.

Can't wait for Pop is Dead for the final scene in the finale.

robotrock

Banned
At least it wasn't Paranoid Android lol, would of been hilarious just to overlay that song on a scene. I'll give them a pass considering these are their own covers too.

Can't wait for Pop is Dead for the final scene in the finale.

When they do eventually play Paranoid Android (I know those fuckers won't be able to resist), I'm going to be rolling my eyes for years!

If they did their own rendition of Pop is Dead that might redeem this aspect of the show for me.

Thom Yorke guest stars as Arnold and sings it live.

Yes it turns out Paranoid Android is the final piece of the puzzle turning all hosts into a murderous robot army and Radiohead created it for this sole reason.

When they do eventually play Paranoid Android (I know those fuckers won't be able to resist), I'm going to be rolling my eyes for years!

If they did their own rendition of Pop is Dead that might redeem this aspect of the show for me.

I don't think I'd be able to stop laughing if they actually did Pop is Dead for some reason, maybe have the hosts perform the music video.

PolishQ

Can someone compare the robot dad from this episode with the photo of "Arnold" that Ford showed to Bernard? They're identical, right? In which case we don't necessarily know what Arnold really looked like. Or if Arnold is a real person.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So before the two butchers altered Maeve's stats, they mentioned a higher up has already altered her stats in a non-logged session and upped her Paranoia. Meaning her whole existential arc is part of a bigger plan and not a coincidence. Her rebellion is a calculated move.

Kerned

Banned
Can someone compare the robot dad from this episode with the photo of "Arnold" that Ford showed to Bernard? They're identical, right? In which case we don't necessarily know what Arnold really looked like. Or if Arnold is a real person.
I definitely thought it was the same person, but I haven't went back and checked the photo.

So before the two butchers altered Maeve's stats, they mentioned a higher up has already altered her stats in a non-logged session and upped her Paranoia. Meaning her whole existential arc is part of a bigger plan and not a coincidence. Her rebellion is a calculated move.

Yep. Nice catch.

Seems like the same guy
tmg-article_tall.jpg

Kerned

Banned
Yup. Weebay.gif.

Kerned

Banned
I think Ford is a host. I don't have a good theory on who Arnold is.

There were 5 unregistered hosts in Sector 17: the parents, the two children and... Ford.

Yea. Even if the techs did what people here suggested, "Arnold" would just go undo it and begin the ride again

Zabka

I was wondering if the trigger phrase Dolores used on her could be related to that.

PolishQ

We saw someone (was it Elsie?) change Maeve's stats in an earlier episode, when she wasn't connecting with the guests adequately. I don't recall paranoia being mentioned at the time, though. Wonder if that's what the butchers were referring to or if an unknown party has been making changes as well.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I feel like there was some good supporting evidence for the two timeline theory this week. Elsie (?) says that something is transmitting to some of the older hosts using a system they haven't used in decades. We are seeing Dolores being spoken to with that system in both timelines, one decades ago and one in the present day.

Also, there was an old logo on the old computer system in the old, seemingly hastily abandoned lower levels. It was prominently in frame, they are showing the audience this stuff for a reason.
The current logo was also shown during the lab tour. It hadn't clicked before until I saw it again this episode, but the full logo says a "A Delos Destination". It reminds me of the directv rebrand post att buyout, how they use the phrase "Now part of the att family".

Also while searching for an image of the full logo I came across some VR promo event HBO did a few months ago that mimicked the WW guest intake. Might mean nothing but they used current logo for it instead of the old one.

Kerned

Banned
I don't think a dog would be a host. Would a bison or a horse be hosts? I don't think animals are regarded quite the same way.

The current logo was also shown during the lab tour. It hadn't clicked before until I saw it again this episode, but the full logo says a "A Delos Destination". It reminds me of the directv rebrand post att buyout, how they use the phrase "Now part of the att family".

Also while searching for an image of the full logo I came across some VR promo event HBO did a few months ago that mimicked the WW guest intake. Might mean nothing but they used current logo for it instead of the old one.
"A Delos Destination", huh? Which implies there are more destinations/parks

Wow they are the same person.

Possibly Arnold is Ford's dad?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
We saw someone (was it Elsie?) change Maeve's stats in an earlier episode, when she wasn't connecting with the guests adequately. I don't recall paranoia being mentioned at the time, though. Wonder if that's what the butchers were referring to or if an unknown party has been making changes as well.
You're right, but it was a regular employee in... Behavior or was it narrative? And the stat they altered was explicitly stated to be related to aggression/assertiveness. Elsie caught it in her logs and called them out for being idiots. It could be related this, or it could a red herring.

At the end of this episode I realized this show isn't for me. All the vague mysteries the show presents are a tedious slog. I really had high hopes after the strong first episode, but all I see is wasted potential.

boxter432

"A Delos Destination", huh? Which implies there are more destinations/parks

movie spoilers:
the park is called Delos, and westworld is one part of the world, with medieval world and roman world. no proof of other worlds yet in the show. the movie sequel also had more worlds (movie was futureworld, with futureworld/space station as a themed world)

I made a quick comparison of the host we met in this episode who is supposedly Ford's father versus the photographed man who is supposedly Arnold.

http://imgur.com/a/AwOHX

They have very similar features, an identical haircut, and the same clothes.

Definitely the same guy IMO. Bernard even recognized him as such. It could mean anything though.

One thing that may be relevant is that the robot we saw tonight seemed to have some sort of British accent. Does Arnold in the Shell have a British accent? I don't remember hearing one but I could be wrong. Again, it could mean anything.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I made a quick comparison of the host we met in this episode who is supposedly Ford's father versus the photographed man who is supposedly Arnold.

http://imgur.com/a/AwOHX
Um, is this even up for discussion? I thought it was clear as day. When Ford handed Bernard the photo of the two, he said "this is Arnold" but never pointed out which is which. Bernard just assumed it was the other guy, now revealed to be Ford's dad replica. This is why I strongly believe between Ford and Arnold, one is an AI/host.

And for the second time I'll quote a line from the movie stated by one of the head scientists: "We're not dealing with ordinary machines here. These are highly complicated pieces of equipment, almost as complicated as living organisms. In some cases they've been designed by other computers."

#WeSkynetNow

PolishQ

You're right, but it was a regular employee in... Behavior or was it narrative? And the stat they altered was explicitly stated to be related to aggression/assertiveness. Elsie caught it in her logs and called them out for being idiots. It could be related this, or it could a red herring.

It was episode 2, just watched the scene again. Elsie notes that the guys in narrative had bumped up her aggression. Then Elsie bumps Maeve's perception and emotional acuity. So all sorts of people have been altering Maeve's stats.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It was episode 2, just watched the scene again. Elsie notes that the guys in narrative had bumped up her aggression. Then Elsie bumps Maeve's perception and emotional acuity. So all sorts of people have been altering Maeve's stats.
I need to rewatch today's scene and confirm the stats mentioned as being altered.

suaveric

If they never wanted the hosts to go above 14 intelligence then why have the scale go up to 20? That to me seemed like the biggest jump in logic this episode.

At the very least that should take Ford or Bernard level clearance to go above 14.

Matty77

So we have now seen mechanical first gen hosts, and they are indistinguishable on the outside from current day.

So are all the people all week who used mechanical,robotic, you'd be able to tell they are not real as an argument against two timeframes even against previous evidence and arguments made by myself and others going to willfully eat crow, or just bow out of the thread?

And as someone who only bought into two timeframes with last weeks episode, and will gladly admit I am wrong if it's not, kind of funny that in an episode mostly about present day out of park stuff the only real in park storyline we saw was Teddy and MIB no hide or hair of Logan and William.

P.S. Nice to see Marsden get a win.

If they never wanted the hosts to go above 14 intelligence then why have the scale go up to 20? That to me seemed like the biggest jump in logic this episode.

Because as many westworld employees have said before: westworld has different purposes to different groups of people.
For the theme park, they want to limit the hosts' intelligence. But I'm sure you can imagine scenarios where you'd want a fully intelligent host.

PolishQ

At the very least that should take Ford or Bernard level clearance to go above 14.

tumblr_m5a5kdoVcw1r9prsfo1_250.gif

So we have now seen mechanical first gen hosts, and they are indistinguishable on the outside from current day.

So are all the people all week who used mechanical,robotic, you'd be able to tell they are not real as an argument against two timeframes even against previous evidence and arguments made by myself and others going to willfully eat crow, or just bow out of the thread?

And as someone who only bought into two timeframes with last weeks episode, and will gladly admit I am wrong if it's not, kind of funny that in an episode mostly about present day out of park stuff the only real in park storyline we saw was Teddy and MIB no hide or hair of Logan and William.

P.S. Nice to see Marsden get a win.

Yeah, I'll admit I was wrong about the old mechanical hosts. That's a point for the two timelines team. However it adds a new wrinkle too, in that 80-ish hosts in the park are STILL the old mechanical style, apparently including Dolores.

So, if in the future we see William open up a host and find mechanic bits inside, we still won't know what time period we're seeing.

By the way, I was practically yelling at the screen when Maeve was watching the welcome video on the wall. If they had included a logo in there we might have been able to finally put this theory to bed!

royalan

This pretty much confirms for me that Arnold doesn't actually exist.

Arnold IS Ford.

Edzi

This pretty much confirms for me that Arnold doesn't actually exist.

Arnold IS Ford.

Uh, Ford is standing next to Arnold in that picture.

Specifically associated with a legacy system. I'd be pretty smug if I were a double timeline theorist right now.

As if they weren't smug before.

Though wasn't that mention of trouble in Pariah supposed to reference the commotion that went down in the last episode with Delores/William/Lawrence?

Top Bottom