• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Luigi87

I thought it implied Arnold and Ford are just brothers, and that Arnold is the spitting image of their father, since the boy whom Ford was talking to was the robot version of his young self.

Unless I completely misread the ep (I'm rather tired admittedly, lol)

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Man, this show is moving at a breakneck speed. So glad this isn't like Lost where you had to slog through 24 episodes a season.

So before the two butchers altered Maeve's stats, they mentioned a higher up has already altered her stats in a non-logged session and upped her Paranoia. Meaning her whole existential arc is part of a bigger plan and not a coincidence. Her rebellion is a calculated move.

Yep, that's what I thought of as well. I'd say Arnold is the ghost in the machine playing 3D chess with Robert. Not sure how the corporate espionage plot ties into this though...

Hankodank

This pretty much confirms for me that Arnold doesn't actually exist.

Arnold IS Ford.

0267ea5ac87d8e38432838dd22d5266d.jpg

Faddy

Banned
So before the two butchers altered Maeve's stats, they mentioned a higher up has already altered her stats in a non-logged session and upped her Paranoia. Meaning her whole existential arc is part of a bigger plan and not a coincidence. Her rebellion is a calculated move.

The thing I don't get though is that we saw Elsie change her stats and update her build so why didn't she notice the changes?

royalan

Ford is standing next to a host replica of his supposed father in that picture

Exactly.

After this episode we don't know that Ford is standing next to Arnold.

We know that Ford is standing next to one of the original hosts who was made to look like his father.

PolishQ

This pretty much confirms for me that Arnold doesn't actually exist.

Arnold IS Ford.

Yeah but if Ford is Arnold, why does he act like he doesn't know anything about Arnold's voice talking to the hosts? He's been taken aback by that multiple times now, most recently when talking to robot kid (who he would have no reason to lie to).

Maybe Ford is a host duplicate of Arnold. You know, now that they've established the idea of creating hosts based on the image of real people.

Matty77

tumblr_m5a5kdoVcw1r9prsfo1_250.gif

Yeah, I'll admit I was wrong about the old mechanical hosts. That's a point for the two timelines team. However it adds a new wrinkle too, in that 80-ish hosts in the park are STILL the old mechanical style, apparently including Dolores.

So, if in the future we see William open up a host and find mechanic bits inside, we still won't know what time period we're seeing.

By the way, I was practically yelling at the screen when Maeve was watching the welcome video on the wall. If they had included a logo in there we might have been able to finally put this theory to bed!
Yeah bottom line for me regardless if it's true or not I am a fan, especially now that the out of park stuff is finally moving forward.

I'm starting to think the hosts have some programming where they cannot process certain information unless Ford or Arnold wants them to, like stuff in pictures. For example, Abernathy freaks the fuck out when he sees the picture of the woman in Time Square, while Dolores just looks at it and says "doesn't look like anything to me" as if she can't see what he's seeing.

This could mean that the picture Ford showed Bernard of him and "Arnold" doesn't look at all like what we saw. The man in the middle is actually the host version we saw of Ford's father tonight, and the gap in the far right is where Arnold is. We don't see it because Bernard cannot see it either, since he's also a host and most likely was modeled after Arnold himself. Something in Bernard's programming makes it so that he can't process the full picture and find out that he's a host too.

arnold-1.gif

I'm starting to think the hosts have some programming where they cannot process certain information unless Ford or Arnold wants them to, like stuff in pictures. For example, Abernathy freaks the fuck out when he sees the picture of the woman in Time Square, while Dolores just looks at it and says "doesn't look like anything to me" as if she can't see what he's seeing.

This could mean that the picture Ford showed Bernard of him and "Arnold" doesn't look at all like what we saw. The man in the middle is actually the host version we saw of Ford's father tonight, and the gap in the far right is where Arnold is. We don't see it because Bernard cannot see it either, since he's also a host and most likely was modeled after Arnold himself. Something in Bernard's programming makes it so that he can't process the full picture and find out that he's a host too.

arnold-1.gif

Yeah, Ford and that host are oddly off center in the photo.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm starting to buy into the Bernard is a host version of Arnold theory. Would make sense that if the picture is of Ford, host Ford Sr, and Arnold that host Arnold/Bernard might not be able to process Arnold and not be able to see him in the photo.

Matty77

arnold-1.gif
While I have no interest in trying to untangle the Arnold mystery it is show confirmed that hosts are programmed not to register certain things, Logan and William even argue about it when William thinks Dolores understands their coversation out of character which hosts are not supposed to be able to do.

Another example would be MIB telling teddy about how they used to be beautiful and how he opened one up and teddy just looks like a ditz listening but not actually registering a thing he says.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The thing I don't get though is that we saw Elsie change her stats and update her build so why didn't she notice the changes?
This is Marge's stats screen before the butchers attempted to make the alterations (i.e. Narrative and Elsie's logged sessions?):

As soon as they hacked in this is what they said in a state of surprise: "some of her attributes have already been changed. Paranoia, self-preservation. Fuck! Someone's already been altering her in an unlogged session. Someone with a fuck-ton more privileges than us."

I personally wouldn't consider Elsie or narrative having a "fuck-ton" more privileges than those two, enough to freak them out that much.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think Ford is a host. I don't have a good theory on who Arnold is.

There were 5 unregistered hosts in Sector 17: the parents, the two children and... Ford.

You forgot the dog.

If Ford is a host he is a host that won't show up on scan(new or old) because otherwise he would have been detected any of a bazillion times since he arrived. The entire complex is full of host-creation/manipulation/monitoring equipment, after all.

I think my question is why are the underlevels abandoned? Why do they still have power? Why are perfectly fine desktop computers left down there, attached to the network? It has the appearance of something abandoned 30m ago due to some disaster.

Ford is standing next to a host replica of his supposed father in that picture

And Arnold took the picture. Dun dun DUUUUNNNNNN~

Arnold is Ford's older brother is my guess. Arnold built that first gen family clone of HIS and Robert's family, not just Robert's. That older boy Ford was petting for a while was young Arnold.

Episode was ok but it was like those movies where if someone was smart 90% of the plot wouldn't have happened.

Horror movie cliche, dumb employees, etc.

That Arnold part with Hopkins was good, same with Teddy mowing down those guys (even though the way he and MIB got out was so weak).

ezekial45

Banned
I'm a little confused why the two lab guys were going along with Maeve's demands. I believe one of them said that they were incapable of wiping her memory and bringing her stats down because of user privileges, right?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So, the first gen hosts are indistinguishable on the outside from modern hosts, which lends credibility to the two timelines thing. Dolores is also one of them.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Exactly.

After this episode we don't know that Ford is standing next to Arnold.

We know that Ford is standing next to one of the original hosts who was made to look like his father.

Called this last week...

I'm gonna play the devil advocate:

Ford showed Bernard a photo of two people and said "this is Arnold." Everyone assumed it was the other guy. But he could have simply been referring to his former self.
💅

Luigi87

What's up with Wild Bill, though? He's super shitty and supposedly he was the second host in the park, right?

I'm guessing that Ford doesn't exactly do proper maintenance on Wild Bill. He said himself that he maintains and occasionally modifies the five unregistered hosts.

jett

D-Member
This show suffers from the occasional poor writing, doesn't it. I fail to see any reason why those two numbskulls are catering to Maeve's every whim. Kind of a lazy way for her to reach sentience too, but whatever. And then there's the Elsie stuff. That shit could not have been more telegraphed.

Elsie, No!

Damn, I can't wait for next week. I'm just absolutely loving the pace everything is going at where everything is just slowly going to hell

I just saw the movie yesterday and randomly this is the episode where they tie in the movie with the show, insane timing.

It wasn't just Yul Brenner or the music, the room Bernard enters is the butcher room from the movie, complete with the exact same dogs and animal robot parts left on the operating table when everyone died.

So is this an Easter egg or is the movie canon now. I guess it's an Easter egg but man everything is so calculated and this seems so self serving.

You guys keep blowing my mind with what you uncover. That damn photo. Isn't there a scene where they show the past and we see Arnold?

Luigi87

This show suffers from the occasional poor writing, doesn't it. I fail to see any reason why those two numbskulls are catering to Maeve's every whim. Kind of a lazy way for her to reach sentience too, but whatever. And then there's the Elsie stuff. That shit could not have been more telegraphed.

Elsie's stuff bugged me in that it was largely for me a "Why the hell are you still there!" thing.
I mean personally, if you stumbled across an internal conspiracy, you should at least suspect that the one you're investigating may come and return to the place they're doing their stuff...

Brakke

Banned
Elsie's stuff bugged me in that it was largely for me a "Why the hell are you still there!" thing.
I mean personally, if you stumbled across an internal conspiracy, you should at least suspect that the one you're investigating may come and return to the place they're doing their stuff...

I laughed when she heard the noise and called out "Bernard...?". What a dummy.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What's up with Wild Bill, though? He's super shitty and supposedly he was the second host in the park, right?
He simply never received the same amount of updates. Dolores on the other hand is a favorite. Stubbs states in the first episode: "You know why she's special? She's been repaired so many times she's practically new. Don't let that fool you. She's the oldest host in the park."

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I now also buy into two timelines as well. I just don't buy into William = MiB.

I have similar feelings now, as well, but I'm totally not onboard the two timelines thing yet. What also is a point in favor of the two timelines theory is that the girl Sizemore was hitting on at the pool is the representative, not William and Logan.

DerekNYC

Yeah after this episode I am convinced that Bernard is a host and, unbeknownst to him, also a vessel for Arnold's consciousness. Split personality kind of thing.

jett

D-Member
If 14 on the Intelligence scale is about roughly a moderately smart human being, good god at what 20 is like.

Here's an interesting article on AI I read a while back.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

AI Caliber 3) Artificial Superintelligence (ASI): Oxford philosopher and leading AI thinker Nick Bostrom defines superintelligence as “an intellect that is much smarter than the best human brains in practically every field, including scientific creativity, general wisdom and social skills.” Artificial Superintelligence ranges from a computer that’s just a little smarter than a human to one that’s trillions of times smarter—across the board. ASI is the reason the topic of AI is such a spicy meatball and why the words “immortality” and “extinction” will both appear in these posts multiple times.

It takes decades for the first AI system to reach low-level general intelligence, but it finally happens. A computer is able to understand the world around it as well as a human four-year-old. Suddenly, within an hour of hitting that milestone, the system pumps out the grand theory of physics that unifies general relativity and quantum mechanics, something no human has been able to definitively do. 90 minutes after that, the AI has become an ASI, 170,000 times more intelligent than a human.

Superintelligence of that magnitude is not something we can remotely grasp, any more than a bumblebee can wrap its head around Keynesian Economics. In our world, smart means a 130 IQ and stupid means an 85 IQ—we don’t have a word for an IQ of 12,952.

The real question is, will Maeve grow even beyond level 20? Because why wouldn't she.

Top Bottom