• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So it is all an Easter egg. That's kind of cheating, so many argue that everything is done on purpose, every detail specifically shown to give clues or is part of the mystery. But we get a whole room recreated from the movie and eh it's just an Easter egg, don't pay attention to any of this.

Well, it's Norm's phrasing. Don't know if he knows the future plotline of the show, just might have had conversations with that artist, who might have let him in on a future appearance of this statue in the HBO show.

It standing there motionless, would fall in with the pre-existing notion of storage of hosts, standing upright. Unsure if they'll go to the effort of making him a moving CGI thing, though, but it works as a motionless prop.

voOsh

I've been entertained thus far but the writing doesn't seem to be anything special. It's obvious at this point that they want us to heavily empathize with the hosts and be invested in their self-discovery. But it is happening so fast that we haven't had enough time to develop that strong emotional attachment and Maeve's reaction was not particularly believable.

Also the "rules" of the park and hosts that the show can operate within aren't very clear. This gives the writers jurisdiction to make up so much bullshit when it's convenient. Because of this the stakes feel so low since we know they will just sci-fi a solution. I want to challenge the writers to go 1 episode without using those magical touchpads.

negitoro7

Was hoping that female data collector with the potty mouth would meet her demise this episode. "Look at me I'm so edgy with every other word being profanity". Damn she's annoying.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also I've never thought Bernard was a host but this episode contained the first piece of evidence that might convince me: Ford's miraculous appearance during the scene in the house.

We're just meant to believe that Ford just happens to be there and Bernard doesn't notice him standing in the corner? If I thought Bernard was a host I'd read that scene as the entire scene freezing once the dad figure shoves Bernard against the wall as some sort of "security procedure" until Ford can arrive, and Bernard's consciousness "skips" the time, since he's on pause

Burt

Was hoping that female data collector with the potty mouth would meet her demise this episode. "Look at me I'm so edgy with every other word being profanity". Damn she's annoying.
100% probability that was señor Hemsworth's arm and he thinks she's the corporate spy that he's secretly been tracking and she goes "NO, STUPID!"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fuck I didn't notice it last night but the more I think about it the more Ford's appearance there bugs me. Can someone who recorded it double check if I'm crazy?

Fuck I didn't notice it last night but the more I think about it the more Ford's appearance there bugs me. Can someone who recorded it double check if I'm crazy?

In my mind, Ford probably put safeguards in place that notified him if anyone searched for Sector 17 on any computer anywhere. Likely especially if someone searched Host history of Sector 17.

He gets a ping when Bernard asked that lady in the control room to look up the host history of sector 17 and starts going to the house as fast as possible.

I liked the episode, but I felt that Mauve's subplot is advancing too fast. She seemed way too comfortable with herself despite her entire existence and reality being a lie. She somehow manages to keep her composure while travelling through the Westworld facility. I would think that she'd be freaking out despite her best efforts not to.

Yeah... also, it just seems incredibly stupid that the robot manages to take control of the situation over the two scientists and demands shit. Really really stupid and annoying IMO

Oscar

I completely agree. The same thing happened for me with True Detective, and to an extent Game of Thrones. People get so obsessed with the show, build some impossible standards in their head and when the show doesn't deliver on those crazy expectations, you get some disproportionated hate. That or some people just give too much importance to the writing. Sure on a TV show it's important, but there's more to a series than that. You can argue that the butcher scenes weren't as well written as other moments, but I appreciated the energy of those scenes, the exciterment as you feel like things are about to unravel. It's about momentum, and the whole episode was full of it, it kept going forward. It certainly didn't take me out of it.

But then again I mostly just enjoy the ride, I don't watch Westworld for the deep philosophical conundrums or the flawless worldbuilding. Maybe the people that get really nitpicky about shows just take them too seriously.
Agreed 100%.

I had to bail on the True Detective thread because of the same behavior. Users would tune in like clockwork every sunday just to break down every scene and call it dogshit as it airs. Reminds me of grade school when we had to write an essay on a film as we're watching it in class, frantically taking notes instead of giving the show undivided attention. Doesn't seem like an enjoyable way to watch any show.

I'm just over here like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ enjoying the season.

MoeDabs

I double checked on HBO go, and he does seemingly appear out of nowhere. There is another set of doors in that room but they are closed and Ford is there too quickly to have opened them and closed them without being noticed...

In contrast to everything Nolan has ever written or touched?
He's been part of more linear, straight forward narratives than not in his career so yes.

I don't particularly care one way or the other, but I said way back people were making new smoke monsters out of this shit and I don't think the answers will reflect such conjecture.

Thanks for the reminder about Rust being
the killer and Marty's daughters being in on it
theories in True Detective.

Desperately waiting for this character to be written off and replaced with someone that actually sounds like a human.

Solo

To be fair, True Detective S2 was hot, stinky, festering shit on almost every front, and it deserves all the criticism it got.

MoeDabs

Agreed 100%.

I had to bail on the True Detective thread because of the same behavior. Users would tune in like clockwork every sunday just to break down every scene and call it dogshit as it airs. Reminds me of grade school when we had to write an essay on a film as we're watching it in class, frantically taking notes instead of giving the show undivided attention. Doesn't seem like an enjoyable way to watch any show.

I'm just over here like ¯_(ツ)_/¯ enjoying the season.

Speculation is fun. I don't take notes or anything but I can use my brain and connect dots as they appear. I might not be always right,but it's fun and I think the show encourages this with how it presents its narrative.

Oscar

At the 9 min mark, he's talking with the construction dudes at that Mexico style town and says "I'll find my own way back", as if he traveled there with the crew.

Then it cuts to a scene of him digging through notes/books in his office.

20 mins later he pops up at the house with Bernard. I imagine he has Super Mario warp pipes scattered throughout the world.

Matty77

Thank you, always my favorite posts of the week with HBO shows I love reading all the extra stuff but am too lazy to search around for it myself.

PolishQ

Speculation is fun. I don't take notes or anything but I can use my brain and connect dots as they appear. I might not be always right,but it's fun and I think the show encourages this with how it presents its narrative.

Oscar wasn't talking about speculation and theorizing, but about people who complain about every little mistake, plot contrivance, or poor line reading.

Episode 7 promo spoiler:

Is that the writer having his head smashed into the glass? Damn son. I saw that scene before in another promo ("What's coming in the next weeks" or something like that) but I never realized it could be him.

Matty77

Oscar wasn't talking about speculation and theorizing, but about people who complain about every little mistake, plot contrivance, or poor line reading.
Yup and he is right, some people seem to never be satisfied. As I said in one of my earlier posts no matter what ends up true, which theory's were right and wrong it has been a fun ride getting there, and it's been fun both discussing and arguing the show on this thread, most Television does not get me so involved.

So I can overlook flaws.

MoeDabs

Yup and he is right, some people seem to never be satisfied. As I said in one of my earlier posts no matter what ends up true, which theory's were right and wrong it has been a fun ride getting there, and it's been fun both discussing and arguing the show on this thread, most Television does not get me so involved.

So I can overlook flaws.

The only thing I don't like is the snarky dismissive posts. Agree or disagree, but don't be an ass about it (not directed at you).

Episode 7 promo spoiler:

Is that the writer having his head smashed into the glass? Damn son. I saw that scene before in another promo ("What's coming in the next weeks" or something like that) but I never realized it could be him.

Let's hope so.
Dude's being written for you to dislike him and he's completely expendable with no real role in the plot.

Even in the promos they are editing trolls.

Ep 7

That part where Theresa talks about finding something "quite disturbing" then they cut to Maeve, the actual following scene is with the other prostitute - you can see the similar dress. That will probably end up with her smashing the writer's head into the glass, which in the promo was just before that.

It doesn't impact my enjoyment of the show at all, but it still seems weird to me that they surgically operate on "dead' hosts. I would have figured that they'd just have the machines 3D print missing tissue or whatever.

Also, how cool is the shot in the opening credits of the woman on a horse?

Do you guys know a website (or a YouTube channel) posting theories based on facts and clues and not guessing stuff based what would be logical or nothing at all ?

I am sick of reading or listening to people establishing stuff like "I think The Man in Black is that dude because I guess this and this is probably that" ?

It doesn't impact my enjoyment of the show at all, but it still seems weird to me that they surgically operate on "dead' hosts. I would have figured that they'd just have the machines 3D print missing tissue or whatever.

Also, how cool is the shot in the opening credits of the woman on a horse?

I suspect surgery is cheaper. They're seriously sloppy about it (see: the bullet lodged inside Maeve, the fact that she had a MRSA infection).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I also think what's interesting about this episode is what it says about Ford's personality and how he chooses to act in front of others.

In episode 4, he tells Theresa that he's not the sentimental type, even though now we know that he keeps around 30 year old hosts because they are replicas of his family. He even made their traits more negative to fit history more accurately.

We also see this contradiction when he tells that random tech to not feel anything for the hosts, even though we see Ford show that he does care for the hosts or at least look fondly upon them to some extent.

bounchfx

I'm halfway through the episode now, and it's fantastic so far, but I needed to take a minute to bitch about how fucking bad hbonow.com's streaming is. This shit fucking freezes every 5-10 minutes like clockwork. Never had any issues before with any streaming sites but this is hot garbage.

Santiako

Things are getting interesting outside the park, and they used the old logo again when in the legacy system.

I have a mega crush on Elsie.

She was pretty hot on Raising Hope

8ILm2hH.jpg

bounchfx

really fucking fun episode.

that being said the one thing I don't like or at least confuses me a shitload, is do they seriously not have any security footage of these testing rooms? the fact that not only could he take maeve on a full fucking tour but they messed with her for what feels like hours and no one notices? huh?

otherwise, DOPE

edit: also, apparently it's just a running joke to have dolores shooting backwards from a racing horse in every single next episode preview. this is what, the 5th time now? Lol

Top Bottom