• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Does Elise have any sort of love interest in the show? ...just wondering.

(Assuming she's still alive that is)

Edit: Fuck, sorry Cornballer.

FStop7

Banned
I hope they don't do anything stupid like replace the real Elsie with a robo-clone.

"Please disregard that phone call, Bernard. Beep boop this unit I mean I was not functioning I mean feeling well last night."

boxter432

that being said the one thing I don't like or at least confuses me a shitload, is do they seriously not have any security footage of these testing rooms? the fact that not only could he take maeve on a full fucking tour but they messed with her for what feels like hours and no one notices? huh?
they do in some capacitiy, as Elsie showed that random skinny low level dude video of him banging a host on her magic tablet.

but it seems clear there isn't really a great standard security system, and the level of thouroughness varies in and out of the park (in the park Maeve has tons of drawings of the butchers in her room that nobody knows about, but othertimes they show are aware of exactly what is going on, who's dying, who's off course etc...)

Skeletron

Latest episode was fuckin' great. So tense. So awesome. Can't wait to see Maeve kick some ass. Loved the music. All the NiN and Radiohead covers are a real treat.

Things are getting interesting outside the park, and they used the old logo again when in the legacy system.

She was pretty hot on Raising Hope

8ILm2hH.jpg

She looks nothing like Ellen Page.

My thoughts.. (great episode)

#1. When MiB & Teddy were approaching Pariah, and the border was closed, I first thought it was because of what we saw last episode with William & the Confederatos etc.. which would put them in the same time line.

Later in the episode though, some of the Westworld staff were talking about how Pariah was almost at capacity again, so it makes sense that they'd close the border to keep more people from going there until some left. Again, they make you think it's one long contiguous series of events.. but always drop something that makes another option plausible.

Also, the Union soldiers all had wounds from Wyatt and were clearly tied into that story line, none of them mentioned "The War" or Confederatos or anything we've seen in the William story line (and vice versa we've never seen anything Wyatt related in William's scenes). Being in such relatively proximity to each other, I would think we'd see SOME sort of bleed through or crossover, though, again, it's plausible that you might not.

#2. The tech said Maeve has only been at the brothel for a year or so. This lines up with her NOT being there when William arrived "sometime" in the past. Though, to be fair, she could have been busy or with a guest or.. something, so it's not conclusive.

#3. I think it's fitting to have a MiT Theory (Multiple Independent Timelines) and MiB (Man In Black = William) Theory, with both being possible, but the MiT could be true without the MiB being true. To me there are CLEARLY multiple timelines being show, some in flashbacks (young Ford, old Church, etc), some in Dolores' glitches (missing gun, getting shot, shooting bandit, etc). The main one would be William's story and it taking place at SOME other time than the present (i.e. the one with Westworld staff/Maeve/MiB).

If MiB=William, than William's story needs to be ~30 years ago or something. If it's JUST MiT, then it could be a couple years prior, 5 years, 10 years, etc. It's less limiting.

#4. (Preview for next week talk)
We see Native Americans (Indians?) who look a LOT like the ones who tried to scalp Maeve in that scene where one turns into the MiB. Maeve has the child as well. I'm guessing this is the "Ghost Nation" on the map. If William ends up running across Maeve w/ Child.. boom! MiT proven! But it could be anywhere older than a year before the present. They do not look like Wyatt's people we've seen in the past, so I don't imagine MiB is headed there as well.

#5. Teddy. He didn't die! Woohoo! He's a bad ass. Did his story get changed when Ford saw him, or when he was captured by Wyatt's people? In re-watching EP3, they cut it so where you think Teddy is against what Wyatt is doing, but it's not explicit. But if Teddy was on Wyatt's side the whole time.. why would they beat him and leave him for dead? The other soldiers sure seemed to think he was in on it, and then he freely admits it.

#6. Westworld Intake Host in White in the promo video. Obviously we see her with William.. so her showing up in the current day is interesting. Could be an old video, or put together a while ago.. or she's still in service however many years later. We also see Maeve w/ Child so we know that part is "at least" 1-year old.

So many questions! So many new ideas. I love this show and look forward to it each week.

Q1: Have we ever seen a drawing of the maze in "Williams Timeline"? Dolores sees it in the village on the ground, but it's gone when the girl disappears and William comes out. It's on the coffin in the train, but at that point William/Lawrence are missing.

Q2. "Old Westworld" down in the basement seemed to be using very much 'today' tech. So I'm guessing present day Westworld is 2050'ish?

scabro

ok episode but everyone from the delos staff besides ford, bernard, and maybe theresa continues to be complete garbage

that tessa thompson tho

Sullichin

I love the NIN and Radiohead in the soundtrack but I think that's become my favorite part of the show. Man, for how crazy this show is, I also find it surprisingly boring. Still sticking with it but I didn't really like that episode. :/

Didn't really like the Maeve scenes. It's a cool plot development but I just think it's stupid that some low level employees are able to do this.

I figure since some of the floors had hosts being trained, the visual of one walking around with an employee might not be considered strange, or strange enough to be questioned about.

Felix (the Asian guy) also had a nervous look on his face the whole time he was walking around Millay through the complex. You can see that he was trying to be discrete while constantly looking at his clipboard, while the host was wide -eyed and looking at everything. You can see that he was not trying get noticed by anyone else and just fade into the background. Even the look on his face implied that he wasn't suppose to be there. But yeah, the other employees didn't notice because there were hosts everywhere in various stages of development.

Off topic from that: The family of first generation hosts were pretty cool. I like that William was keeping them around. The way that the kid's head opened up was a cool throwback to the original movie.

I also thought it was interesting that Bernard was almost choked to death by one of them, before William had to call him off. Did anyone also notice that later in the episode William called them "harmless" despite one of them almost choking the life out of an employee? Did William have one of the OG hosts act as a personal bodyguard while he was in that house?

Off topic from that: The family of first generation hosts were pretty cool. I like that William was keeping them around. The way that the kid's head opened up was a cool throwback to the original movie.

I also thought it was interesting that Bernard was almost choked to death by one of them, before William had to call him off. Did anyone also notice that later in the episode William called them "harmless" despite one of them almost choking the life out of an employee? Did William have one of the OG hosts act as a personal bodyguard while he was in that house?

By William, you mean Robert Ford right?

http://westworld.wikia.com/wiki/Robert_Ford

William is a Delos representative that may be in 2 separate timelines but is not personnel at Westworld

boxter432

Felix (the Asian guy) also had a nervous look on his face the whole time he was walking around Millay through the complex. You can see that he was trying to be discrete while constantly looking at his clipboard, while the host was wide -eyed and looking at everything. You can see that he was not trying get noticed by anyone else and just fade into the background. Even the look on his face implied that he wasn't suppose to be there. But yeah, the other employees didn't notice because there were hosts everywhere in various stages of development.

Ford, not William. unless your timeline theory is william becomes anthony hopkins

Ford, not William. unless your timeline theory is william becomes anthony hopkins

I meant Ford, but made a typo. We're 6 episodes in and I still mix up the characters names. I just want to call "Robert" Anthony Hopkins still.

And I don't believe the timeline theory with William. I don't think it makes any sense at this point.

shira

Do you guys know a website (or a YouTube channel) posting theories based on facts and clues and not guessing stuff based what would be logical or nothing at all ?

I am sick of reading or listening to people establishing stuff like "I think The Man in Black is that dude because I guess this and this is probably that" ?

reddit westworld

there are all sorts of crackpots and normals and they moderate pretty well

FStop7

Banned
E7 guess based on the preview

Hale and Cullen are gonna sabotage Clementine to attack during that meeting in the glass room in order to slow down / shut down Ford, at the orders of the board - or at least a faction of the board.

So did that "harmless punches" idea get thrown out when MiB got knocked the fuck out during that skirmish?

The farther from Sweetwater you get the more challenging the experience. I believe that also suggests you can get hurt more the farther out you get.

They were just at the edge of the southern territories which is likely one of the farthest points from Sweetwater so I imagine you can get knocked out etc. like in that criminal city when Logan got beat up

So did that "harmless punches" idea get thrown out when MiB got knocked the fuck out during that skirmish?

Did MiB actually get knocked out or just roughed up and restrained? I always assumed the hosts pull their punches quite a bit to not cause any injury.

Matty77

No one said the punches had to be harmless, according to the people behind the show themselves the further out the more real the danger and risk to create the illusion of real danger, but at the same time no permanant injury,long lasting harm allowed.

So getting knocked out fine, but you notice they were in no rush to further injure or brand him like teddy.

FStop7

Banned
Episode 10 concludes with Anthony Hopkins transferring his consciousness into Jock the dog. "Now I am rog. Roodbye." Then he trots off into the sunset.

zeemumu

The farther from Sweetwater you get the more challenging the experience. I believe that also suggests you can get hurt more the farther out you get.

They were just at the edge of the southern territories which is likely one of the farthest points from Sweetwater so I imagine you can get knocked out etc. like in that criminal city when Logan got beat up

No one said the punches had to be harmless, according to the people behind the show themselves the further out the more real the danger and risk to create the illusion of real danger, but at the same time no permanant injury,long lasting harm allowed.

So getting knocked out fine, but you notice they were in no rush to further injure or brand him like teddy.

True

Are they able to calculate how much blunt trauma they can put on each specific person, though?

Did MiB actually get knocked out or just roughed up and restrained? I always assumed the hosts pull their punches quite a bit to not cause any injury.

Well he went limp after that punch so I assumed he was out cold.

Did I miss something? I don't remember William saying he works for Delos.

You're correct. That's not an accurate description of William as we know him.

It's more like William is a EVP at Logan's Parent's Company who at some point in the park's history thought about buying it. Their company has never been named for some reason.

Something like that.

True

Are they able to calculate how much blunt trauma they can put on each specific person, though?

I have to imagine some approximation of what someone can take is calculated and even notes of specific newcomers might be stored in every host. What happens if someone has a bad knee and you kick it out from under them causing irreparable damage? Wouldn't surprise me if MIB's profile has high damage thresholds though as Ford doesn't seem to like him and MIB seems to like a challenge

Purkake4

Banned
Shit's popping off. Fingers crossed that this will be the good LOST.

Also don't get the Dolores hate, she's just a poor AI confused by her forced awareness. Maeve is going full Skynet.

Brakke

Banned
It's pretty hard to even buy the concept that it's possible to cause "irreparable" damage to a guest, short of death or brain damage. They got all kinds of fancy tissue-stitching machines they use to make the robots in the first place. But they can't repair a real person's bum knee? How do you figure?

Given Westworld's bioengineering capacity, it's probably less "dangerous" to shoot a real person's kneecaps out than to concuss them.

If the two timeline theory is correct and the Dolores/William storyline is in regards to the 'incident 30 years ago', then my prediction is that Dolores comes to a choice where she can either save herself or save William or Logan from death, and she chooses herself resulting in the death of a guest.

If it's Logan, that would cement William's fall into the black hat abyss and disassociating the hosts with basic humanity.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I wish Elise was played/written a degree or two less self-righteous and dramatic. It's a little much especially when she gets a lot of screen time.

It's pretty hard to even buy the concept that it's possible to cause "irreparable" damage to a guest, short of death or brain damage. They got all kinds of fancy tissue-stitching machines they use to make the robots in the first place. But they can't repair a real person's bum knee? How do you figure?

Given Westworld's bioengineering capacity, it's probably less "dangerous" to shoot a real person's kneecaps out than to concuss them.

Hmm hadn't thought of that although I think there would always be the PR worry.

Some people that pay $40,000 a day will expect not to get shot nor for the possibility to exist for them to get shot so even letting one incident happen might be too dangerous to worry about.

You're right though one would assume that any person who can afford to stay at Westworld could afford to fix their body up to what's currently possible.

Mechanical hosts just as lifelike as organic hosts. Dolores being one of the originals.
MiB and Teddy conveniently sidestep Pariah so they don't run into Logan.
Two Timelines still yet to be disproved.

Also like people have mentioned, Maeve wasn't at the Brothel when William and Logan show up. She was in her frontier mother role at that point.

Also not sure why people are saying a Delos Rep being in the present somehow precludes William and Logan from being Delos employees in the past.

The two technicians are idiots. What control does Maeve exactly have over those two? They can just turn her off can't they? I'm going to assume they can't just off her without management interrogating her and her spilling the beans on those two? I dunno, it just requires more suspension of belief than I can give that these two would willingly turn her into a Terminator.

Wild Theory Time: Ford is a robot clone of Arnold. Seeing as how there is child Ford host, I wouldn't be surprised if Arnold made various versions of himself at different ages.

I don't want to say dual timeline is 100% confirmed, and I get annoyed with people who discount the possibility that it might not be true, but I am increasingly on board that train. The logos are what really seal it for me. HBO is meticulous in their details, the use of the old logo in William's scene is nothing if not deliberate, and since then we have seen that logo consistently associated with the old park presumably before Delos bought it. It featuring so prominently on the old computer in this episode can't be a coincidence. Another detail is that Maeve has apparently only been madam of the saloon for a year, and back when William arrived sure enough he didn't see Maeve but rather Clementine who is said to have previously worked as the madam.

Now, what I'm not so sold on is William=MiB. While there's mounting evidence for dual timeline, people have lumped W=M in with it as if they have to go together. Really, they don't, and there's no real solid evidence for that yet other than his apparent relationship with Dolores. Logan=MiB is just as likely in my opinion, or even someone else.

Purkake4

Banned
Because the Sweet Polly Purebred act is lame.
But she's programmed to be that way. Her arc is becoming not that presumably.

The two technicians are idiots. What control does Maeve exactly have over those two? They can just turn her off can't they? I'm going to assume they can't just off her without management interrogating her and her spilling the beans on those two? I dunno, it just requires more suspension of belief than I can give that these two would willingly turn her into a Terminator.
That's true, it was getting kind of Prometheus-y by the end there.

Top Bottom