• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Solo

Go back and watch the scenes with Bernard interviewing Dolores off record. They are happening in the basement of the nowhere house. But when Bernard goes to the home he can't see the door? Seems odd.

Actually, they said in this last episodes that there are numerous satellite offices such as that one.

gazele

Banned
Go back and watch the scenes with Bernard interviewing Dolores off record. They are happening in the basement of the nowhere house. But when Bernard goes to the home he can't see the door? Seems odd.

Not the same room, also who says it's Bernard and not arnold?

It appears to be the same room, due to the presence of the chair. Most people at this point however think the interview scenes with Dolores are 30 years ago, and its Arnold doing the interviews to get to the bottom of consciousness. At some point Arnold goes away, and Bernard is created by Ford with Arnold's appearance.

Bernard/Arnold interviewing Dolores, notice the chair
http://i.imgur.com/vF0EEjH.jpg

Last episode, right before someone gets... retired. Same chair it seems.
http://i.imgur.com/sQCTAdp.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Bernard isnt interviewing her. Arnold is. Bernard = Arnold 30 years ago.

Bernard cant see the door because Bernard is a robot Ford created to have Arnold's look alike work for him like a little bitch.

Arnold was human and started a rebellion by asking Delores to find the center of the maze 30 years ago.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
For posterity:

L+SD ratings

Episode 1: 1.96 million
Episode 2: 1.50 million
Episode 3: 2.10 million
Episode 4: 1.70 million
Episode 5: 1.50 million
Episode 6: 1.60 million
Episode 7: 1.74 million

Beefy

For posterity:

L+SD ratings

Is that high? I don't know what you would call high in the US.

Bernard isnt interviewing her. Arnold is. Bernard = Arnold 30 years ago.

Bernard cant see the door because Bernard is a robot Ford created to have Arnold's look alike work for him like a little bitch.

Arnold was human and started a rebellion by asking Delores to find the center of the maze 30 years ago.

Not exactly. Arnold died at least 5 years before Dolores took the trip with Willian. That trip is triggered by the bicameral mind of her, hearing Arnold's commands. But Dolores was also present at Arnold's death 5 years before (as Ford said). Who knows how many trips did Dolores made before and after Willian?

But for sure if our theories are right, Arnold interviewing Dolres is 34-35 years ago.

Which host used Bernard's phrase about loss where he asked if that was written or improv? Wasn't that Dolores? It seemed our first clue he was a host. If it was Dolores doesn't that imply the interviews are in the present?

fanboi

Banned
The weapon Delores found, can someone compare it to the gun she uses with William? I bet it is a trigger for her to wake up.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
For posterity:

L+SD ratings

Oh wow, it's actually gaining viewers, that's awesome.

Not exactly. Arnold died at least 5 years before Dolores took the trip with Willian. That trip is triggered by the bicameral mind of her, hearing Arnold's commands. But Dolores was also present at Arnold's death 5 years before (as Ford said). Who knows how many trips did Dolores made before and after Willian?

But for sure if our theories are right, Arnold interviewing Dolres is 34-35 years ago.

The bicameral mind thing is interesting. First you believe you hear the voice of god, Dolores hears a voice which we assume is Arnold early on. That tells her to shoot, it tells her to remember and so on. Next step of the bicameral mind is that they realize the voices in their head are their own. Later on dolores stops hearing "Arnold" and instead sees herself and she has discussions with herself. She is moving through the steps.

How does this compare to typical ratings for Game of Thrones?
GoT averaged about 7-8 million during S6 under this metric. Total audience for a given episode is around 23+ million for GoT (S6) versus about 12 million for Westworld (S1). The Westworld S1 numbers are slightly better than GoT S1 numbers.

Kayhan

GoT averaged about 7-8 million during S6 under this metric. Total audience for a given episode is around 23+ million for GoT (S6) versus about 12 million for Westworld (S1). The Westworld S1 numbers are slightly better than GoT S1 numbers.

That bodes well for Westworld Season 5.

John_B

This show is incredible smart. They didn't dumb it down but instead pushed it to above mind-blowing. I think the show will receive a ton of love when all is revealed and everyone's jaws are on the floor.

William is the Man in Black. It was not that well hidden. They fooled everyone with actually showing Arnold (all the scenes with Dolores in the basement). That scene with Ford showing the picture of Arnold to Bernard is crazy in retrospect. It was Bernard not being able to see Arnold next to Ford and the dad replica.

Dolores is the true mystery though. The picture that made her dad go crazy has Dolores in it, but she couldn't see that in the same way Bernard couldn't. So she's based on a real person. Someone related to Ford because he questions her if she can remember the man that he used to be. Husband? Father?

For the end I'm leaning towards that Arnold is alive as a real person. Ford is mighty but he was only the apprentice. Arnold is the master.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
That scene with Ford showing the picture of Arnold to Bernard is crazy in retrospect. It was Bernard not being able to see Arnold next to Ford and the dad replica.

Dolores is the true mystery though. The picture that made her dad go crazy has Dolores in it, but she couldn't see that in the same way Bernard couldn't. So she's based on a real person.

Ooooh shit that's a crazy idea. If that's true that is brilliant.

Lorcain

I'm not reading any posts or theories, just dropping in to say that the GAF Collective analysis of this show is spot on. I really want to read and contribute to the episode discussions, but the theory-crafting in here has been too good, including the major reveals so far. It's uncanny.

Ok, back to covering my ears and eyes until next Sunday.

LotusHD

Banned
I think a lot of the cringey dialogue and hokey ass performances is a result of unnecessary swearing. In something like The Wire, it seems natural and actually enhances the scenes. In Westworld it comes across as forced and makes perfectly okay lines come off as terrible.

Like when Tessa Thompson goes, "We've seen glitches before.But this...thus is fucking breathtaking." That line delivery actually sounded like it was sabotaged by that swear. It just sounds like they're trying to make this corporate world seem edgy and cutthroat. And every time someone needs to show that they're angry or baffled, they swear a lot. I dunno if HBO has a swear quota, or the writers feel they're not taking advantage of HBOs looser standards for profanity, or they feel like viewers won't take a sci Fi show seriously if characters aren't swearing and fucking all the time. But it is jarring and stands out and kinda takes me out of the show.

Oh thank god, I thought I was the only one a little turned off by the random swearing from Tessa's character. Even the scene where Theresa meets her felt awkward as fuck. I mean, I guess you could interpret it as an act of dominance to just stand there naked in front of her, as well as her general demeanor towards Theresa afterwards, but it just felt somewhat forced. Maybe it's partly because stuff like that is far easier to stand out when a lot of the other scenes are on their A-game.

golem

Logan already said the partner disappeared and the company stock is in free fall and they may buy them out. This is after Arnold.

Since that house is off the grid, it may be that in the past even Ford did not know about the location so it may have been Arnold's hide out. Also I think it is mentioned that they have multiple diagnostic sites that can be configured the same and I'm thinking that the events in the interview sequences could predate William and Logan's arrival. Alternatively it's all in her head.

On the next episode of Westworld...
uOk5Jzf.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Good ratings.

Waiting until 2018 is actually a blessing in disguise for this show, allows more people to catch up on the show and in turn driving the anticipation towards season 2 through the roof, and more time for the writers to make a kickass season.

FStop7

Banned
That lady from the board (can't remember her name) is so cringey. Who talks/acts like that??

Yeah, this was poorly done. A board member is like 30-something years old and goes to the park to bang hosts and act like a cartoon villain.

Hale is a _verrrry_ Michael Crichton-esque character. He wrote a character in Airframe who is almost exactly the same. His writing often became super cynical when it comes to corporate behavior (espionage, betrayal, unscrupulous and immoral people) as someone previously mentioned in this thread.

Good ratings.

Waiting until 2018 is actually a blessing in disguise for this show, allows more people to catch up on the show and in turn driving the anticipation towards season 2 through the roof, and more time for the writers to make a kickass season.

Plus, tbh this show was slow to get started. The first 2 or 3 episodes were pretty meandering and you have to really like the world building aspect to enjoy them, I thought.

Being able to watch the whole season won't make those episodes feel like that so much/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Don't know if we are spoiler-ing things but ...
So Theresa... She will just disappear? Or perhaps Ford will mimic her with a host, that he can now control?

I hope she's not done -
I like the actress, loved her in Borgen.

Don't know if we are spoiler-ing things but ...So Theresa... She will just disappear? Or perhaps Ford will mimic her with a host, that he can now control?

I hope she's not done - I like the actress, loved her in Borgen.
Once something has aired, it's fair game for discussion and speculation. Only spoilers (i.e. information about future episodes) from trailers, interviews, and other sources need to be tagged.

To answer your question:
She noted in one of her interviews this week that she's finished with the show as of Ep 7.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Once something has aired, it's fair game for discussion and speculation. Only spoilers (i.e. information about future episodes) from trailers, interviews, and other sources need to be tagged.

To answer your question:

Oh wow. Thanks! Will be interesting to see how that's swept away.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Or it ends up killing all the show's momentum!

xcIx3hW.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If it does shift to a more cyberpunk tone with the Delos megacorp and the hosts out in the world, HBO could present it as the competition against Netflix's Altered Carbon

I would imagine HBO would want to keep the western setting for at least another season or two to get a better return on their investment.

Parch

Not sure if already mentioned, but fans of Westworld would probably enjoy the movie "The Machine". It's an interesting performance by Caity Lotz (Legends of Tomorrow).

Kayhan

They should take all the time they need to keep up the quality.

Too few shows reach this caliber so we must cherish the ones that do.

Personally, True Detective Season 1 was the last show to be of that caliber for me.

Solo

Rewatching Ep. 2 and something stood out. When MiB is sitting with Lawrence and threatening his family (ultimately killing his wife), he says (paraphrased) "you and I have been through a lot, we fought off Ghost Nation braves...etc". And then we actually see that in episode 7 when William and Lazo fight Ghost Nation after the train. Further confirmation that William = MiB.

Rewatching Ep. 3, which has several Bernard/Dolores scenes, and I'm now absolutely convinced that Bernard is Arnold or at least a clone of him and that all "Bernard"/Dolores scenes are in the past as Arnold. Dolores is clothed, they're in a satellite hub, and Arnold is mulling over reverting Dolores but can't bring himself to do it. From here, it's clear that Arnold dies and Dolores almost destroys the park. Also, the "Bernard" scene with his wife is actually Arnold in the past.

I love this show so much.

My dumb nitpicky complaint for this episode: when the hazmat suits guys took the prostitute, EVERYONE around was a host. You're telling me there wasn't a single guest at the entrance to Westworld?

I'M DONE WITH THIS POS!

Not really. I love this show.

Kayhan

Why are they wearing hazmat suits anyway?

The air is breathable or the guests would be in danger.

What is this? Amateur hour?

Makai

To answer your question:
She noted in one of her interviews this week that she's finished with the show as of Ep 7.
oh nooooo

Or maybe its like kit harrington

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Or it ends up killing all the show's momentum!

xcIx3hW.gif

It'll depend on how they'll handle the season finale.

If it ends with a mind blowing cliffhanger not a cheap one the anticipation will be through the roof, and they can let that gestate for awhile.

Plus this is isnt like GOT where there were book spoilers from season 1 onwards and people had a vague idea where the show was going to go. Westworld is uncharted territory since day 1, even if it borrows themes and ideas from the movie, the show is its own beast, that works in Westworld's favor.

ctothej

For posterity:

L+SD ratings

For those who don't know, the average total audience for this show is 11.7 million (when you add in HBO Go streams, DVR, etc.). So while the live Nielsen ratings might look low, the show is actually doing really well.

My dumb nitpicky complaint for this episode: when the hazmat suits guys took the prostitute, EVERYONE around was a host. You're telling me there wasn't a single guest at the entrance to Westworld?

I'M DONE WITH THIS POS!

Not really. I love this show.

It's a weird inconsistency since when they were collecting the hosts after the saloon heist, the employees were in costume.

Top Bottom