• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

jelly

Can I just say Theresa's facial expression change at the end of this episode. Amazing and perfectly subtle acting conveying such strong emotion.

Kayhan

I really hope we see the Roman or Space themed theme parks in future seasons.

Rome world or Medieval world is almost certain I think. Especially if there really will be 5 seasons.

Space/Sci-Fi world is probably more expensive due to more CGI.

Also, you know HBO can't resist some Rome-style orgies.

Rome world or Medieval world is almost certain I think. Especially if there really will be 5 seasons.

Space/Sci-Fi world is probably more expensive due to more CGI.

Also, you know HBO can't resist some Rome-style orgies.
I doubt it. Maybe as one-offs during the early days of the host rebellion, but I can't see season-long stories stagnating in different themed worlds

Kayhan

I doubt it. Maybe as one-offs during the early days of the host rebellion, but I can't see season-long stories stagnating in different themed worlds

Where are you seeing them run around for 4 more seasons.

There is definitely going to be more theme worlds. It is a major thematic draw to the whole story. They are not doing the next 4 seasons as Blade Runner Redux.

Cuburt

The show has been a real slow burn but the revelations have been satisfying so far.

As much as I'd like to participate in the theorizing, speculation, and analysis of the show, like I do with other shows I like, this one feels like whenever I've read theories it takes some of the fun out of the discovery myself or the discussion I might have with my friends.

Granted, it's cool to see hints by the creators I might have missed but for this show in particular, if I didn't know, for instance the theory about
it taking place over several timelines
if that ends up to be true, that would have taken quite a bit of the fun out of the surprise and me figuring it out myself.

Like this Bernard twist, I had suspected there will be hosts that work at the park from the first day but I hadn't followed any speculation about whether Bernard was one. It was so much more satisfying to slowly piece it together during the episode as the show directs the audience to the reveal than it would be for me to already have a better idea and then see if and when the show lines up with the theories.

In one of the analysis speculation videos on IGN that I actually watched for the show after seeing the title of the video on Youtube basically had them discussing that idea of everyone trying to know too much about this show. I get where the internet gets engaged with the show and wants to absorb every nuance to try to guess what might happen next, but there is also some degree of people trying to be smarter than the show and that just is a step too far for me on this show.

I'd rather it surprise or disappoint me on it's own merits. This is one show I'm interested more in rewatching than most TV series I've watched lately.

Where are you seeing them run around for 4 more seasons.

There is definitely going to be more theme worlds. It is a major thematic draw to the whole story. They are not doing the next 4 seasons as Blade Runner Redux.
The showrunners have said that the core of the show is the origin of a new species. They have loftier ambitions than just moving between different parks

Plus Person of Interest expanded well beyond the premise of its first season. I expect the same for this show.

In one of the analysis speculation videos on IGN that I actually watched for the show after seeing the title of the video on Youtube basically had them discussing that idea of everyone trying to know too much about this show. I get where the internet gets engaged with the show and wants to absorb every nuance to try to guess what might happen next, but there is also some degree of people trying to be smarter than the show and that just is a step too far for me on this show.

I'd rather it surprise or disappoint me on it's own merits. This is one show I'm interested more in rewatching than most TV series I've watched lately.
The shows that drive me to want to dissect them and think about them for the entire week between episodes are rare. That's a testament to the show IMO. I loved Breaking Bad and The Shield, and really really like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead and The Americans, but Fringe, Hannibal, Black Mirror, and Westworld make me need to know more, really think about the characters and stories and themes and such.

Such games are rare too. SOMA and Inside gripped me. I needed to read other's impressions and reactions and interpretations. Those kinds of experiences are special

If William really is the MiB how does he go from being so loving to her to dragging her into the barn early on in the season?
Personally I think that scene was all an act for the watchful eyes of Ford and management, while he was actually trying to trigger the incident that caused them to first reunite (dragged into the barn). He's trying to get her to remember her past, so Arnold's plan can finally be completed.

Corpekata

Banned
If William really is the MiB how does he go from being so loving to her to dragging her into the barn early on in the season?

Well, it's 30 years apart, and the MiB suggests there is some major catalyst to his change (he refers to it as his birth) that we obviously have not seen yet.

And as others have suggested, we don't actually see what the MiB does to her. The implication is a brutal rape, but we've already seen in episodes after that that he is fucking with the "game" and that may have been part of that.

bounchfx

Can I just say Theresa's facial expression change at the end of this episode. Amazing and perfectly subtle acting conveying such strong emotion.

Completely agree. That entire scene was sooo fucking well acted. There were a few moments like that this episode. Incredible stuff.

The amount of emotion they convey in this show with just facial expressions and gesture is straight up impressive.

It's decades. Maybe his obsession with her ends badly and it crushes him. The story line, while I think it'd be too obvious, would be that he evolves from an unassuming nice guy to evil dick, obsessed with the park and preying on Dolores/punishing her, knowing she can't die. I don't know. Some shit like that.

I don't actually subscribe to that theory though.

Kayhan

Dolores absolutely turns on William/MiB in the finale for reasons he doesn't understand and he spends the next 30 years trying to figure out what it all meant.

I assume William will be the one to put down old Dolores.

New Dolores will fare better in the present day.

JeTmAn81

They'll stay in the park. I see this going all the way through to an established group of independent AI.

Edit: Then again, that kind of idea could lead to storylines outside the park but they'll continue to tell stories inside it at the same time.

They'll stay in the park. I see this going all the way through to an established group of independent AI.

Edit: Then again, that kind of idea could lead to storylines outside the park but they'll continue to tell stories inside it at the same time.
True, the park could work as the place for them to build their own civilization. But I could see the scope expanding to the world at large reacting to a machine society. Like that story in the Animatrix

royalan

I don't think the sadism is an act MiB is putting on for the park. It's too complete. It wasn't just him dragging Dolores into the barn, or scalping that guy, or killing Lawrence's wife in front of him and his daughter. It encompasses everything he does. He's not just doing these vile things to check a box and move on to the next stage. Look at his face, his reactions. He's enjoying what he's doing. If this were an act, a part of his character, I'd expect a crack in the facade somewhere. At the very least in his conversation with Ford.

It's part of the reason why I'm hoping MiB is not William. Because if he is, the writers are going to have a hell of a time coming up with a plausible scenario that makes me believe William could turn into this guy. At this point, it would take more than someone he knows getting killed in the park. Logan? LOL - I doubt he'd care much at this point.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
William seems teetering on a breakdown due to being unintentionally caught up in the game on, as he puts it, the deepest level. I think the polarity in his personality is what will tip him over the edge; you have someone who is reserved, intelligent, and able to see the mechanisms of the game/park for what it is, now finally buying into the process and developing as a person on an emotional and intimate level. The kind of person who goes from querying Dolores' automated processes and behavioural cycles right to her face, to basically falling in love with her and buying into whatever off-cycle process she's currently running. He's in the middle of a mental crisis as he reassess his own identity, wasted years right down to business and marriage in the real world. He having an emotional awakening, a coming of age, but the context is still potentially incredibly volatile. Dolores is an AI primarily running off scripted loops. The park is an entirely fictional, meticulously constructed ecosystem. When someone goes from resilience and cynicism, to becoming deeply entrenched in and convinced by the illusion, and that shakes their fundamental identity, the illusion breaking once again could have profound impact on his emotional stability.

BeeDog

I initially had big reservations about the Danish actress playing Theresa and found her dreadful. But damn, she acted the shit out of that scene, good stuff. And let's not talk about Hopkins, living legend in every way possible!

By far the best episode up until now, let's hope they can keep this kind of momentum up.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I initially had big reservations about the Danish actress playing Theresa and found her dreadful. But damn, she acted the shit out of that scene, good stuff. And let's not talk about Hopkins, living legend in every way possible!
Don't you dare talk badly about my Sidse Knudsen like that!

Everyone who hasn't (or even if you have) go watch Borgen (again)!

William seems teetering on a breakdown due to being unintentionally caught up in the game on, as he puts it, the deepest level. I think the polarity in his personality is what will tip him over the edge; you have someone who is reserved, intelligent, and able to see the mechanisms of the game/park for what it is, now finally buying into the process and developing as a person on an emotional and intimate level. The kind of person who goes from querying Dolores' automated processes and behavioural cycles right to her face, to basically falling in love with her and buying into whatever off-cycle process she's currently running. He's in the middle of a mental crisis as he reassess his own identity, wasted years right down to business and marriage in the real world. He having an emotional awakening, a coming of age, but the context is still potentially incredibly volatile. Dolores is an AI primarily running off scripted loops. The park is an entirely fictional, meticulously constructed ecosystem. When someone goes from resilience and cynicism, to becoming deeply entrenched in and convinced by the illusion, and that shakes their fundamental identity, the illusion breaking once again could have profound impact on his emotional stability.

this is why i keep scoffing at people saying the william/dolores story is boring. i find it very intriguing.

Olrik

Neo Member
Nolan has said they'll be exploring the physical nature of the hosts in the second season, including how they are made, what they are made of exactly, and their power source. He goes on to tease that their biological makeup does not require them to breath oxygen and comments that it opens up interesting possibilities. Take that as you will.

Mermaids obviously.

Speevy

Banned
The show makes an allusion to the idea that these hosts are being monitored at all times while in Westworld, but sometimes they are pulled out for inspection and other times they are not.

Like...how would you not stop the Will and his friend storyline halfway through if it were being monitored?

Speevy

Banned
The coolest reveal would be one in which Ford and others are killing all the human guests and sending them back into society as hosts.

Maybe they bust out and find out they're on mars, and it'll become a space western.

This is confirmed if Knights of Cydonia is played on the piano in an episode

I would love to hear a piano version of that song.

I've been kind of wondering if they're actually on Mars or some other terraformed world. They make comments about rotation of shifts and orbital launch facilities and the like. Could be nothing. Could be something.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Maybe they bust out and find out they're on mars, and it'll become a space western.

tTFs5hNtPA3MA.gif

Nodnol

This is confirmed if Knights of Cydonia is played on the piano in an episode

I'm anxiously waiting for a piano rendition of Plug In Baby.

In terms of other worlds...SpartacusWorld would be brilliant. Role-playing as a Gladiator...maybe without the slavery part anyway.

Grapes and orgies? That's got HBO written all over it.

Is there a continually updated list somewhere of the songs being played on the saloon piano? I've caught most of them, but have no idea what the one on the latest episode was.

So, what you're saying is, William = S2 Locke?

Also, his whole spiel on the train with Dolores post-coitus pretty much made me accept that not only is this particular part of the story in the past, but William = MiB.

Top Bottom