• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

TVexperto

exob53vdxvxx.gif

Woah ... so I guess this is a spoiler? Is this true

So I decided to watch the original Westworld and Futureworld movies to see if there was anything in them relevant to the plot of the new show.

Nope!

Solo

I really hope Elsie isn't dead. I'm pretty sure she is... but I really like her character and hope she comes back somehow.

I'm reasonably sure she isn't dead. If they were going to kill her, they wouldn't have done it as a gigantic horror movie cliché. However, using those clichés as misdirection is totally something that I can see Nolan and company doing.

duckroll

For sure! Could just be a general shirt used by the costume team.

That's not how costume design works, especially on a show with a period setting. When you're costuming for a show, especially for major characters, it's very deliberate. There's no "general shirt". How a character looks, from the costume down to the hair and the makeup, is a statement of who and what that character is.

That said, it's hard to tell what similarities there are in photos like that. It could just be a similar looking shirt because of the color, but even that would have been deliberately chosen. Look at what Ford wears, and look at what young Robert wears for example. The clothes make the man, and the character.

That's not how costume design works, especially on a show with a period setting. When you're costuming for a show, especially for major characters, it's very deliberate. There's no "general shirt". How a character looks, from the costume down to the hair and the makeup, is a statement of who and what that character is.

That said, it's hard to tell what similarities there are in photos like that. It could just be a similar looking shirt because of the color, but even that would have been deliberately chosen. Look at what Ford wears, and look at what young Robert wears for example. The clothes make the man, and the character.
Well said.

I really want William to be the MiB because those guys were excited to meet MiB when he had his "my fucking vacation" line and I feel like that's opposed to Logan's "executive Vice President" line. I like the idea that Logan's family is just using William to help their company but William takes over and becomes the CEO and face of the company.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Here's my crackpot theory after rewatching most of the episodes:

William is in face the MiB. There's lots of evidence for this both thematically and evidently. William and MiB are following opposite character arcs, William growing more in love with the park, MiB more disillusioned. MiB seems to be referencing events in William's storyline like the Ghost Nation fight, Lawrence. I also believe that Bernard is in fact Arnold and his talks are in fact thirty years prior to MiB's storyline. Here is where my conjecture takes over. Arnold, through his talks with Dolores is attempting to create sentient life. In fact, the security guy uses the exact same questions early in the series as a diagnostic. That tells me that Arnold's line of questioning did in fact foster sentience. Later on, these questions are used as a diagnostic to know if any of the hosts are becoming sentient. If they are, they are decommissioned. I would suspect this is a protocol instituted by Ford as he believes the hosts are nothing but dolls and cannot think or feel, contrary to what Arnold believed. William falls in love with Dolores. They go on an adventure, and perhaps Dolores achieves true sentience. The park finds out and has her mind wiped. In the intervening thirty years, MiB/William returns frequently to the park to try and break Dolores out of her loop so that they can be together. He mentions that when they (host/guest?) are suffering that is when they are their true self. So in a bizarre way he keeps running through her loop and torturing her to get her to remember every iteration.

jelly

I can't believe the two time periods simply because the technology gap isn't there. From what they showed in earlier episodes of previous incarnations those should be in play not the hard to discern as anything but human we see all the time.

Corpekata

Banned
I can't believe the two time periods simply because the technology gap isn't there. From what they showed in earlier episodes of previous incarnations those should be in play not the hard to discern as anything but human we see all the time.

What makes you say that? Before the park opened to the public, we see in the flashbacks them moving out of the Old Bill stage and into the modern one.

MiB even basically says at one point the only major differences between his first visit and now is their innards.

We literally saw hosts that Arnold built himself 35+ years ago and they didn't look any different on the outside from the newer 3d printed hosts that are currently in the park.

The only technology gap is in how they are built, not how lifelike they are. It's already been explained that they achieved lifelike hosts with nuts and bolts robots 30 years ago and some are still in use in the park in the present.

Technology has plateaued and only evolves in very small and minor increments over those 30 years in the world of Westworld. 3D printing organic hosts was more advantageous because they are cheaper to produce, not because it made them behave even more lifelike.

Raven117

1)

, which begs the question why Bernard told Dolores to find it.
This implies that those scenes with Bernard and Dolores are actually Arnold talking with Dolores, setting her on the path to destroy the park. And the journey we see with William and Dolores is the one with that fateful end: Dolores attempting to enact Arnold's plan and failing, and something that happens between them that shatters William's belief in the park's illusion and kindles that cynical perspective we see in the Man In Black.
This...right here.

I don't think the William with his infactuation with the park and the MIB's disillusionment are irreconcilable. It makes perfect sense actually. When MIB is speaking with Ford. He wants to find something "True." IMO, we will see William get woefully effed over either by Dolores...or something that completely shatters his view of the park...where he knows..KNOWS its all false. Hence why he can kill at will...He knows its all B.S., but there is something true he is searching for. Maybe it is sentience with Delores. Maybe its simply playing the "game" to its ultimate conclusion. Don't know.

Further, I do think he and Logan are the "money men" that were talked about. Hell...remember when Ford talks about the "board" and how its all a little game between Ford and him? Felt like the conversation between MIB and Ford. I think MIB is the president of the Board of Delos. (Delores...that's not a coincidence). And him and Ford are playing games.

While of course it could be a red-herring (and it could be)...I do think William = MIB.

Joni

What if Dolores dies in the William timeline? Like completely destroyed before reaching the Maze. Extremely heartbroken William returns to the world, marries and Delos buys Westworld. He goes back for work, and finds that Ford has introduced a new Dolores. Same model, same everything, but not his Dolores. Or he restored her without any knowledge. He becomes extremely cynical, takes over Delos and starts trying to turn Dolores in his Dolores. In the end, he thinks he will find his Dolores in the maze. Through his manipulations she starts awakening.

I'm also curious about the Dolores blueprint that Ford had in his extra host chamber beneath his replica childhood house. How many Doloreses are there? And across how many timelines? I love this show.

Corpekata

Banned
Those scenes aren't suggesting there's multiple Dolores copies nor is it neccessarily in Ford's house. It's just a satellite lab, of which Bernard suggests there are many because after all the area is huge and sometimes they would need to access a host in an area where it would be impractical to bring them back to the full lab.

Just let me have my shitty speculation, It's all I have a left! There's a million Doloreses! All shrunk down into Westworld! 10 timelines confirmed!

I like to imagine Ford carefully placing the Bernard evidence on an easy-to-find area of his work station, then hiding in a corner when Bernard and Theresa finally enter the room, waiting for his moment to appear.

"He just appeared out of nowhere! In front of that dumbwaiter!"

I've only now just come across the two timeline theory after reading the last few pages here.

The supporting evidence makes a lot of sense to the point where I'm thinking 'Eh?' to the people who aren't buying it.

I mean, do you not get the implication of the image?

Theory:
There is speculation that we are viewing two different periods in the park's history.

Oh, I get the implication and the theories, I just think comparing the actors
aside from ensuring they generally looked the same
is a bit of a stretch

I like to imagine Ford carefully placing the Bernard evidence on an easy-to-find area of his work station, then hiding in a corner when Bernard and Theresa finally enter the room, waiting for his moment to appear.

"He just appeared out of nowhere! In front of that dumbwaiter!"

"Did somebody say 'secret remote diagnosis facility'?"

People seem to have a real problem differentiating between Old Bill being the second bot built and Dolores being the oldest bot in the park.

Didn't the host tell William when he was first checking in that everything for him was bespoke? If that is the same shirt, then I see that as a pretty good hint toward the Lawrence=MIB theory being true.

Dolores is also the first host built (the original) but she's been upgraded and updated constantly

I don't recall that ever being said. They said she was the oldest in the park, and we know she was there while Arnold was, so before the park opened. However they've also said they did years of beta testing before opening the park, so they could have build dozens or even hundreds of models before her.

Top Bottom