• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When Ford said "In that sleep... what dreams may come" was he just being a pretentious prick, or was that the command phrase to make Bernard kill? If so, would that phrase work on other hosts?

I think it's the "I'm afraid our guest has grown weary. Perhaps you can help her Bernard." line. Bernard jumps into action right after that.

The "what dreams may come" line is a Hamlet quote about death. Perhaps it could be a clarifying line for the previous command to actually kill her, but for now I'm thinking that it's just because Ford likes to quote Shakespeare, as he's done before.

Future

I think it's the "I'm afraid our guest has grown weary. Perhaps you can help her Bernard." line. Bernard jumps into action right after that.

The "what dreams may come" line is a Hamlet quote about death. Perhaps it could be a clarifying line for the previous command to actually kill her, but for now I'm thinking that it's just because Ford likes to quote Shakespeare, as he's done before.

Ford says in ep 3 when he's telling Bernard about arnold that the only thing remaining from those old days are some of the voice commands they used to use. Would make sense that only ford knows some of them

Dumb question:

Does Bernard always wear a tie during his scenes except when he's talking to Dolores in the basement facility?

Good question. On my second viewing, I noticed Bernard was much more confident in what are presumed to be the Arnold scenes. Feels like a guy in charge, and not just a curious researcher.

Speevy

Banned
Ed Harris looks like this as a young man.
young-ed-harris-in-medical-scrubs-photo-u1.jpg

Ehhhhh....

Better than

When dou you think we will have the William/MIB revelation?

I say episode 9. But a chance for next episode?
From the ep.8 synopsis:

the Man in Black looks to the past to explain the present.

hey do you have a source for that quote? i can't find it anywhere online.

See, that just cements the William=MIB theory for me. He's been trying to help/free her, and once she is, the two will team up to face whatever threats arise. I dont think you can continue the mysterious bored-with-the-game player arc for another season. Revealing that he's William and working with Dolores would be a cool step moving forward

Also he's a significant link to move the story from inside the park to the outside world

They won't say if Hopkins is returning until the season ends. Do you think the show needs Ford to succeed as well as it does?

I was just thinking, they have about 30 years worth of stories to tell with the Man in Black alone. That character would lend itself so well to self-contained stories, kind of like Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name.

TV would be tricky, but graphic novels maybe?

Westworld could probably attract some big character actors to play a meaty villain role, like Hopkins is doing now. One season commitment to play the season villian, get to be in the HBO's big new show?

Future

See, that just cements the William=MIB theory for me. He's been trying to help/free her, and once she is, the two will team up to face whatever threats arise. I dont think you can continue the mysterious bored-with-the-game player arc for another season. Revealing that he's William and working with Dolores would be a cool step moving forward

Also he's a significant link to move the story from inside the park to the outside world

They won't say if Hopkins is returning until the season ends. Do you think the show needs Ford to succeed as well as it does?

The best shows have strong villains IMO. Hopkins delivers in spades and they'd need a replacement

Im in on the MIB = William thing. Especially after rewatch cementing the timeline differences.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Westworld could probably attract some big character actors to play a meaty villain role, like Hopkins is doing now. One season commitment to play the season villian, get to be in the HBO's big new show?

Most definitely. People that don't even traditionally do TV would be lining up to be on HBO's newest "It" show. Lot of actors were chasing True Detective Season 2. Hoping for that career shot in the arm.

Violet_0

Banned
random thought - could Ford have set up the Maze storyline, or at least parts of it, for the MiB in advance, knewing that he would be back? That events like Teddy running into his former comrades who recognized him are not simply a coincidence? I mean, there just happened to be a soldier camp on the route they need to traverse. The irony being that, instead of acting outside the parks rules, the MiB is really just unknowingly following another narrative. That would also explain what Ford's secret new project is all about, the grande finale

Hell yes to MIB returning for S2.

Ed Harris looks like this as a young man.

Someone pointed out on Reddit that James Marsden has closer bone structure to Ed Harris than Jimmi Simpson does, and now I can't unsee it. Them quality cheekbones. If William does end up being MIB, I still think the casting was a bit weak.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dumb question:

Does Bernard always wear a tie during his scenes except when he's talking to Dolores in the basement facility?
My girlfriend keeps saying that the color of Bernard's shirt changes dark blue to black in some of those things.

OrionX

Okay, so I just got caught up on this show. Really enjoying it so far, though a lot of it has felt like build up to something bigger and I'm just anticipating crazy shit to start happening. And speaking of crazy...

HOLY SHIT at that ep 7 twist!! I didn't see that coming at all until the "what door?" moment. I feel like I need to go back and watch all 7 episodes again, especially the Bernard and Dolores scenes.

...WTF IS GOING ON!!?!

tumblr_nuqenzHncE1uzlmbho1_500.gif

Solo

Ed Harris is a great actor, second only to Hopkins on WW. Beyond excited that he'll be back for S2. I really can't wait for this whole thing to blow wide open and start seeing Bernard interact with MiB, or Dolores, Ford Maeve and Teddy interact in the same scene etc. They've established some great characters and it's going to be amazing to see where it goes from here.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
that reveal was out of no where for me. probably cause i have no idea what the hell is going on with this show. hopefully season 2 isn't as confusing.

Ed Harris is a great actor, second only to Hopkins on WW. Beyond excited that he'll be back for S2. I really can't wait for this whole thing to blow wide open and start seeing Bernard interact with MiB, or Dolores, Ford Maeve and Teddy interact in the same scene etc. They've established some great characters and it's going to be amazing to see where it goes from here.
Damn, you're totally right. We haven't seen Harris alongside any other major characters except Ford and Teddy. Even Dolores' scenes with him was so short and she was still in "farm girl" mode that I'd say we never really saw them interact properly

boxter432

Damn, you're totally right. We haven't seen Harris alongside any other major characters except Ford and Teddy. Even Dolores' scenes with him was so short and she was still in "farm girl" mode that I'd say we never really saw them interact properly

And the scene with Ford and him was pretty good and intense.

Ok, I've been catching up on the show (which is amazing), and the scene in episode 6 where the techs are increasing Maeve's stats is still bothering me; why would they listen to her? Couldn't they've just decreased Maeve's intelligence and her other stats to a point of where she couldn't be a threat?

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but that would require to filter through 154 pages.

Ok, I've been catching up on the show (which is amazing), and the scene in episode 6 where the techs are increasing Maeve's stats is still bothering me; why would they listen to her? Couldn't they've just decreased Maeve's intelligence and her other stats to a point of where she couldn't be a threat?

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but that would require to filter through 154 pages.
The theory is that given their previous line (someone higher up had already altered her stats), the implication is that they couldn't lower her stats below the current settings, only raise them. Or that if they did, whoever already changed her stats would just change them back

Did anyone else take mib's threat to "open you up" to Ford as implication that Ford is a host? Given MiB's previous instances of talking about opening up hosts, I thought it was possibly a big clue.

Corpekata

Banned
Did anyone else take mib's threat to "open you up" to Ford as implication that Ford is a host? Given MiB's previous instances of talking about opening up hosts, I thought it was possibly a big clue.

No.

I mean, the threat was obviously meant as a parallel to his comments, but it was just a stlylized threat because the conversation dealt with the MiB's unorthodox behavior in that regard.

The theory is that given their previous line (someone higher up had already altered her stats), the implication is that they couldn't lower her stats below the current settings, only raise them. Or that if they did, whoever already changed her stats would just change them back

Ah that makes sense.

Barzul

Here's my crackpot theory after rewatching most of the episodes:

William is in face the MiB. There's lots of evidence for this both thematically and evidently. William and MiB are following opposite character arcs, William growing more in love with the park, MiB more disillusioned. MiB seems to be referencing events in William's storyline like the Ghost Nation fight, Lawrence. I also believe that Bernard is in fact Arnold and his talks are in fact thirty years prior to MiB's storyline. Here is where my conjecture takes over. Arnold, through his talks with Dolores is attempting to create sentient life. In fact, the security guy uses the exact same questions early in the series as a diagnostic. That tells me that Arnold's line of questioning did in fact foster sentience. Later on, these questions are used as a diagnostic to know if any of the hosts are becoming sentient. If they are, they are decommissioned. I would suspect this is a protocol instituted by Ford as he believes the hosts are nothing but dolls and cannot think or feel, contrary to what Arnold believed. William falls in love with Dolores. They go on an adventure, and perhaps Dolores achieves true sentience. The park finds out and has her mind wiped. In the intervening thirty years, MiB/William returns frequently to the park to try and break Dolores out of her loop so that they can be together. He mentions that when they (host/guest?) are suffering that is when they are their true self. So in a bizarre way he keeps running through her loop and torturing her to get her to remember every iteration.

I like your theory the best. Sounds definitely plausible given all the information available to us.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Trace Decay

Teddy is disturbed by painful memories; Maeve hopes for a change in her script; Dolores has trouble separating her dreams from reality; Bernard is ordered to return to business as usual; the Man in Black looks to the past to explain the present.

Top Bottom