• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Stubbs quotes from the pilot:

“She’s the oldest host in the park.”
“She’s been repaired so many times, she’s practically brand new.”

bernard2.gif

Bernard: I'm real.

Ron Howard: He wasn't.
Ha ha

Ferrio

Banned
I also believe there's a level of degradation with Old Bill that makes his movements more stilted and unnatural looking. Like an old computer that needs defragging.

Old Bill is Arnold, and his jerky movements is his human side trying to break free from the shackles of Old Bill logic.

Did we ever re-evaluate cold storage after the last episode? Is that why Delos keeps the destructive and broken hosts in storage, to preserve the desired data? Was it Ford's decision? Is cold storage what rests at the center of the maze?

MIB
The deepest level of this game, and you're gonna help me find the entrance.

Teddy
"The maze itself is the sum of a man's life. The choices he makes, the dreams he hangs onto. And there at the center there's a legendary man who'd been killed over and over again countless times. He always clawed his way back to life. The man returned for the last time and vanquished all his oppressors in a tireless fury. Built a house, and around that house he built a maze so complicated only he could navigate through it. I reckon he'd seen enough of fighting."

Bernard/Arnold?
"It's a game, a secret. It's called the maze. It's a very special kind of game, Dolores. The goal is to find the center of it. If you can do that, then maybe you can be free."
Which ties into MIB's quotes
You have always been a prisoner. What if I told you I'm here to set you free?
You could say I'm here to honor [Arnold's] legacy

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
"The maze itself is the sum of a man's life. The choices he makes, the dreams he hangs onto. And there at the center there's a legendary man who'd been killed over and over again countless times. He always clawed his way back to life. The man returned for the last time and vanquished all his oppressors in a tireless fury. Built a house, and around that house he built a maze so complicated only he could navigate through it. I reckon he'd seen enough of fighting."

This line is very evocative of the Eqyptian afterlife.

In the fully developed afterlife beliefs of the New Kingdom, the soul had to avoid a variety of supernatural dangers in the Duat, before undergoing a final judgment known as the "Weighing of the Heart". In this judgment, the gods compared the actions of the deceased while alive (symbolized by the heart) to Ma'at, to determine whether he or she had behaved in accordance with Ma'at.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_religion#Afterlife

Corpekata

Banned
The nitro on that train...that's not REAL nitro, right? Higher risk or not, future-OSHA would have a fit.

They had to authorize the MiB's explosions in earlier episodes so presumably if it is in range of guests they have safety measures

This is after all a scripted event (host against host combat), so I imagine it is watched closely.

Regarding the incident and under the assumption that the multiple timelines thing is true and that William's story is leading to it, I had a thought that no doubt someone else has already had (using a key element from the film too)

William is soon to be marrying into the Delos family and last we saw, Logan was getting his ass beat by the confederati. Seeing as though he can't die and he and William locked eyes, I'm only gonna assume he's gonna be preeeetty pissed about the whole thing. I'm only gonna assume that he's gonna make another appearance and try and fuck Will's shit up at some point.
Now as we saw in the premiere, Dolores said she couldn't hurt a living thing but then kills a fly at the end. Could it be that Dolores ends up killing Logan to 'save' William (is it ever stated that guests can't kill each other?) and that's what gets things all messed up? The death of a guest would certainly send your company into freefall and could very well warrant people still discussing it 30 years in the future. The only reason Dolores doesn't get decommissioned is because she was the first host and as she plays an important role to the Maze plot, Robert knows this and talks his way out of it somehow (she contains special code deep down or some shit).

ad libbed idea:
The maze itself could be the key to that code which allowed hosts to kill guests and didn't MiB say something along the lines of wanting something more real? He seems a bit tired of god mode after 30 years of visiting. Perhaps he still feels guilty over the death of his brother in law and what that did to the family(?) and so when he says "this time I ain't going home", he means he ultimately wants to die in the place that he felt he was born....?

Actually, most of that sounds like straight up trash but I don't wanna delete it so I'm just gonna post it anyway.

DavidDesu

What I want to know is....

In the second episode (I believe) when William goes from the facility and into the "changing room" with the host that is aware she isn't real... then he steps through a door and onto a moving train in the park, HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT WORK?

Are we all sure this park isn't some massive VR or holodeck kinda thing? I only watched that part once, maybe I should watch it again, but it seemed as if William was in one part of the park then magically walks through a door and on to a moving train which is physically impossible as far as what we understand is the level of technology going on in this place. Ultimately though if the park really is somewhere beyond the Earth (talk of rotating back home sounds like it's an arduous journey) then the tech is way further ahead than we realise..

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What I want to know is....

In the second episode (I believe) when William goes from the facility and into the "changing room" with the host that is aware she isn't real... then he steps through a door and onto a moving train in the park, HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT WORK?

Are we all sure this park isn't some massive VR or holodeck kinda thing? I only watched that part once, maybe I should watch it again, but it seemed as if William was in one part of the park then magically walks through a door and on to a moving train which is physically impossible as far as what we understand is the level of technology going on in this place. Ultimately though if the park really is somewhere beyond the Earth (talk of rotating back home sounds like it's an arduous journey) then the tech is way further ahead than we realise..

It's an elevator that rises until finally it is in the park. Each guest is on a separate floor and the train car elevator picks them each up one at a time. You can see the light from his hallway fade down after he closes the door.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I haven't kept up with the thread, so apologies if this was discussed already:

Hale chastised Theresa for the woodcutter mess. "He slipped on a fucking rock and bashed his own head in." So the board are seemingly unassociated with this.

Bernard later accused her and her team for being responsible for the woodcutter incident, and she doesn't deny it. She's clearly not working Ford, nor for "Arnold" and his army of hosts.

So the party she's affiliated with (or was affiliated with), who are seemingly of Chinese origin, are still a mystery. But more importantly, they're definitely a new player. And now she's dead, and will probably be replaced by a host. I wonder how her affiliates will be reintroduced.

Episode 7, holy shit. Loved it. I had no suspicion about Bernard at all. Now I'm reading here that a lot of people saw it coming, which makes me glad I hadn't been reading the thread before (I think it would have lessened my enjoyment of the reveal if I had suspected it), and makes me want to bail out now as to not ruin future surprises.

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm loving this show. First show that grips me enough to stick with it since Breaking Bad three years ago.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Another thing I noticed from Theresa's meeting with Hale, and again, I apologize if it has been discussed:

Hale: "Our interest in this place is entirely in the intellectual property. The code."
Theresa: "The hosts' minds, the storylines—"
Hale: "I don't give a rat's ass about the hosts. It's our little research project that Delos cares about. That's where the real value is. And due to a lack of foresight on part of one of my predecessors, 35 years of information — raw information — exists here. Nowhere else. Ford has always insured that."

Who is this "predecessor"? The statement made me think it was Arnold at first, but that doesn't add up. Ford and Arnold have technically never been members of Delos or the board.

It's William... In the past. And his "lack of foresight" was exercised 30 years ago, with Dolores, at the church revealed in the next episodes... Right before they found the maze? Is that what's waiting in center of the maze— the source code?

pa22word

Just got an email from HBO saying a new episode is available...?

Just a badly worded email or did they put up another one early for now?

Hydrargyrus

Good episode, one of the best so far, but all the Maeve's arc start to be annoying.
Seriously, if they help her to escape because they're scared from being murdered by Maeve, this would be the stupidest thing in the entire script.

squidyj

Another thing I noticed from Theresa's meeting with Hale, and again, I apologize if it has been discussed:

Hale: "Our interest in this place is entirely in the intellectual property. The code."
Theresa: "The hosts' minds, the storylines—"
Hale: "I don't give a rat's ass about the hosts. It's our little research project that Delos cares about. That's where the real value is. And due to a lack of foresight on part of one of my predecessors, 35 years of information — raw information — exists here. Nowhere else. Ford has always insured that."

Who is this "predecessor"? The statement made me think it was Arnold at first, but that doesn't add up. Ford and Arnold have technically never been members of Delos or the board.

It's William... In the past. And his "lack of foresight" was exercised 30 years ago, with Dolores, at the church revealed in the next episodes... Right before they found the maze? Is that what's waiting in center of the maze— the source code?

I"m not convinced it's relevant, it just sets up the fact that they have no means of getting the data out of the park.

Future

Rewatched first episode and I'm glad I did. I don't think I understood shit the first time.

It's very clear to see the guests versus the hosts. Guests are all jackasses

Bernard looks at a Teresa facial experession and expresses desire to video tape it. I'm sure he's been studying her this entire time, providing all the info needed for the copy

Dolores father shows her a picture of the present, and then she says
doesnt look like anything to me
. So good after seeing the last ep

otapnam

Finally caught up guys. Love the discussion in the thread. Really wondering what's going to happen with maeve storyline since everything else is
back to the future

Arnold
Bernard
Clementine
Dolores

Wont be surprised if these are the first robots built, and given names in alphabetical order.

We already knew that the robots have been refined and AI perfected by other robots anyway. What if Arnold was the first, gained sentience, and deemed too dangerous by Ford?

Jacob4815

When dou you think we will have the William/MIB revelation?

I say episode 9. But a chance for next episode?
From the ep.8 synopsis:

the Man in Black looks to the past to explain the present.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm crossing my fingers that they put up next week's episode early because of the holiday weekend. Be nice to watch Sunday's episode and then HBO just drops another one on Wednesday or Thursday.

When dou you think we will have the William/MIB revelation?

I say episode 9. But a chance for next episode?
ep 9 - MIB revelation, (option a - maeve getting killed)
ep 10 - arnold revelation, maze, (option b - maeve taking over)

There's so many things left that can happen in 3 episodes. Possibly Bernard going against Ford, Ford possibly dieing, what Ford's new storylines are supposed to be, reaching the maze, MIB backstory with William, Who is Dolores, Maeve resolution (either taking over, running away, or getting killed), new possible location, Arnold being revealed & some of his motivation, management goals.

I doubt we get everything but even half of that adds for a ton of suspense. Like someone said, everything will make sense by episode 10. All the cuts, the purposeful edits, timelines. Can't wait to see it unfold.

Future

Rewatched second episode. Definitely feels like a different timeline with William after quickly watching ep 1-2 back to back. Bernard in a different outfit (and probably not Bernard). Dolores asked to remember and then it flashes to William. Different storylines happening in the main hub area near the whore house (treasure hunting, different criminal). The cuts to current timeline are obvious because you can see everything that's different

On3 confusing thing is maeve sees the man in black in her dreams, and he looks the same as he was now. So it couldn't have been 30 years ago for her, so that has to be a different timeline flashback

Presentation to viewer is shady only because Dolores in the past time line starts to freak out just like she is doing in the present making you think it's in the same timeline

Bernard comments on Teresa smoking behavior after talking to the board as a personality trait.... more evidence he was gathering info for the copy. This is cool cuz none of this registers the first time you see this, since you think Bernard is just eclectic about noticing those things to perfect other hosts

Rewatched second episode. Definitely feels like a different timeline with William after quickly watching ep 1-2 back to back. Bernard in a different outfit (and probably not Bernard). Dolores asked to remember and then it flashes to William. Different storylines happening in the main hub area near the whore house (treasure hunting, different criminal). The cuts to current timeline are obvious because you can see everything that's different

On3 confusing thing is maeve sees the man in black in her dreams, and he looks the same as he was now. So it couldn't have been 30 years ago for her, so that has to be a different timeline flashback

Presentation to viewer is shady only because Dolores in the past time line starts to freak out just like she is doing in the present making you think it's in the same timeline

Bernard comments on Teresa smoking behavior after talking to the board as a personality trait.... more evidence he was gathering info for the copy
Yeah, rewatching the early episodes, you catch creepy details like that, of Bernard taking note of Theresa's behaviors and expressions.

duckroll

When Ford said "In that sleep... what dreams may come" was he just being a pretentious prick, or was that the command phrase to make Bernard kill? If so, would that phrase work on other hosts?

Pooya

How Ford controls his minions is something they have to answer at some point. I don't think it's through key words, he controls others with hand waves or... nothing at all like in the restaurant. Brain implant maybe.

Future

Rewatching 3 now. I swear Bernard's past self when talking to Dolores has even a slightly different hairline, but now I feel like I might be imagining shit haha

Just got to the part when ford gives teddy the new storyline about Wyatt. He mentions like all great stories it's rooted in truth

Later teddy explains the story. Says Wyatt was his sergeant and friend. Then he left and came back with strange ideas. That the area didn't belong to them or the natives, but it only belonged to him. Then cut to Wyatt killing everyone

I wonder if that's a parallel to Ford and Arnold. One of them changed their views on the park and got some crazy ideas causing a rift.

Damn, just like game of thrones all that slow shit at the start that can cause people to lose interest at first is potentially very meaningful on second watch once you are looking for explanations

I wouldn't be surprised if to some degree (i.e. at the plantation) Ford loads scripts into the hosts near him on an as-needed basis. It's not like he always has a phrase ready to go for "everything within 300 feet of me stop moving."

How Ford controls his minions is something they have to answer at some point. I don't think it's through key words, he controls others with hand waves or... nothing at all like in the restaurant. Brain implant maybe.

In the restaurant: Pay attention to his left hand. He makes a gesture with all fingers together, like you do when you want silence, but with the hand down, very near his body. The hosts then freeze. Later, he makes a similar gesture, and all the hosts resumes. Very subtle, I have to watch the scene twice just looking for it. Great performance.

I wouldn't be surprised if to some degree (i.e. at the plantation) Ford loads scripts into the hosts near him on an as-needed basis. It's not like he always has a phrase ready to go for "everything within 300 feet of me stop moving."
But we've seen him do it at whim. To the random rattlesnake. All the hosts in and around the restaurant. etc

And with a simple move of his finger too

I'm just imagining Ford spending all this time coding the hosts to make him look intimidating/cool. "Alright, so like 2 minutes into my speech everyone stop moving. Movement will resume after 1 minute. Yeah, that'll freak Teresa out. I'll have to get with construction later about getting the bulldozer over the ridge at the right time."

Here's what Nolan said about it after Ep 4 in his EW interview:
Dr. Ford halts all the hosts with a wag of his finger, just like he did with the snake. But the snake could see him while all the hosts in the field working below could not. Is there any insight that you care to lend on how that works?

Nolan: He describes himself as a magician. His mechanisms of control are subtle. We thought a little bit of a conductor with an orchestra, where the entire orchestra at any moment is so hyper aware of what the conductor is doing that the tiniest gesture can ripple through the orchestra — not just those who are actively watching, but it all becomes one large organism. He’s had 30-plus years to gain his level of control. I’ve worked with some great directors and seen the way they control a set is very subtle — it’s very quick, and it’s total. Not to get too bogged down on the way the park is built, but there’s a network that allows data to carry through the hosts that allows for instantaneous small updates. For more significant updates they need to be brought down below.

Watching ep. 1 and 2 right now. Yep, it's pretty blatant since ep. 2 opens with a voice (mib or Arnold?) asking Dolo "Do you remember?" Then fades to a dream like awakening introducing the William timeline.

Future

Finished 3, and the Dolores timeline stuff almost makes sense. Still a little confusing the way it was shot at the end, because I think they showed like 4 different timelines of Dolores in the same scene. I think it was like this through the episode

-Past Dolores is seen having secret meetings with Bernard/Arnold changing her fundamentally
-Future Dolores looks at gun in drawer, than flashes to past memory of it not being there
-Future Dolores gets saved by teddy and was unable to shoot the gun with him. Teddy leaves on Wyatt adventure
-Past Bernard/Arnold decides not to update past Dolores. Indicates he's been changing her and it might not have been a good idea. This is in line with ford conversation that Arnold saw hosts differently

This is where the flashes get fast and confusing in that last scene

-Future Dolores sees evidence that teddy got into danger in the Wyatt adventure
-Future Dolores goes back to the house in her storyline loop
-Future Dolores sees current dad dead. Then flashes back to past Dolores looking at past dad at this moment in the loop
-Past Dolores gets dragged to the haystack and pulls the gun

Then it gets a little confusing when it shows another timeline in episode one where MIB dragged her in there (call it MIB Dolores). You assume MIB Dolores head got sliced open and there are no more flashes here

-Past Dolores told by voice to kill and she does

Then some timeline of Dolores gets killed when going back to the house. It doesn't make sense for that to be future Dolores since another version of herself seems to remember it. It only
Makes sense for this to be yet another timeline of a further past Dolores

-past Dolores remembers that and runs away to avoid getting shot. Then she runs into William

Finally watched this week's episode, and no deep thoughts or anything. I thought Bernard being a host was so telegraphed that it might be a red herring. But when he said "what door" it was clear that this was going to be his reveal.

What bid didn't anticipate was him killing Theresa.

The show is finally starting to pick up.

Top Bottom