• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Mega

Banned
Yep. Dolores/William is in generic romance territory at this point. That, and with all the talk about Maeve's storyline being unbelievable when everything about that train getaway scene as the most eye-rolling thing in the entire show. It's to the point that I almost don't care what the big reveal is.

The train getaway was a theme park loop. Everything happening with Maeve is plot-destroying nonsense that has reached the point where it could only be salvaged if it turns out Ford was masterminding all the stuff she and the butchers have gotten away with.

The train escape was just another loop, just another thrill ride attraction. Did you expect william to get gunned down by a gatling gun? 100s of interconnected narratives. This is the kind of thing that I got called out from Evilore for pointing out because he thought I was referencing him but I clearly wasn't. People just want to point out plot holes while totally forgetting the conceit of the show while declaring that the show was at fault and it hurt your enjoyment.

Yes, thank you, Teletraan. I read a couple of similar complaints about MIB and Teddy escaping their imprisonment at the Union camp. This is still a game and William escaping unharmed with Dolores is part of that. The hosts are programmed to give guests every chance to carry out their adventures and not run their fun (which I think includes not killing their host companion).

If you want proof: see the background duel in the starting town where the host has a huge delay in pulling his gun in order to allow the newbie guest to get the draw on him. Or Logan talking his way out of confinement and into heading a Confederate party hunting down William, which IRL would be impossible. The truth is hosts could kill guests before they could act: see the utter speed and strength that an "almost dead" Teddy used to grab MIB's knife. In short, the hosts are on a difficulty scale to allow for tense situations but also to allow the guests chances to escape them and have their heroic moments. It's like a video game or an action movie.

royalan

The train getaway was a theme park loop. Everything happening with Maeve is plot-destroying nonsense that has reached the point where it could only be salvaged if it turns out Ford was masterminding all the stuff she and the butchers have gotten away with.

Yes, thank you, Teletraan. I read a couple of similar complaints about MIB and Teddy escaping their imprisonment at the Union camp. This is still a game and William escaping unharmed with Dolores is part of that. The hosts are programmed to give guests every chance to carry out their adventures and not run their fun (which I think includes not killing their host companion).

If you want proof: see the background duel in the starting town where the host has a huge delay in pulling his gun in order to allow the newbie guest to get the draw on him. Or Logan talking his way out of confinement and into heading a Confederate party hunting down William, which IRL would be impossible. The truth is hosts could kill guests before they could act: see the utter speed and strength that an "almost dead" Teddy used to grab MIB's knife. In short, the hosts are on a difficulty scale to allow for tense situations but also to allow the guests chances to escape them and have their heroic moments. It's like a video game or an action movie.

The only problem with this is that we're not in the park. We're the audience. And the show clearly wants us to care about what happens with the characters in Westworld. They want us to believe there's some real stakes. But because they've been unclear with the rules it's hard to take anything that happens around Dolores and William seriously.

So when horses come charging out of a train that was just shot to hell and back by a Gatling gun, completely unharmed...oh, but that's after an upright corpse filled with an explosive gets set off by a single gunshot (but NOT any of the gunshots that just lit up the train)...it's hard to care about this because not only is this a game, but the rules of the game have been so unclear it's hard to follow what's "supposed" to happen and what's not. And, given the memory issues Dolores is having, it's been established that at least some of this is not supposed to be happening. But what is and what isn't part of the script? Who knows!? And really, it's hard to care at this point.

Maeve's plotline may be trying, but there's at least established reasoning for why Sylvester is behaving the way he is, as thin as it is. Maeve has leverage over him. She has something he wants, and until recently she hasn't been asking for too much from him. But now that she has crossed the line and he wants out, it's too late, because she's already got Felix sufficiently hooked. Rebooting her last episode was Felix and Sylvester's last off-ramp, and Felix's feelings botched it. There's no going back now. This may be thin as all hell, but I can at least FOLLOW this. You can't follow anything that's going on with Dolores' plot right now, other than the incredibly generic, CW caliber romance. They finally got to where they're going...but, now what? What were they looking for? Why are they now leaving? Logan is back with a posse? They're so fucked now? WHY are they fucked if this is only a game? What the hell is happening here and why should I care?

I just got caught up (watched all 8 episodes over the last 2 days) and I have 1 question that is bugging the shit outta me about Maeve.

Where are the fucking cameras down in the basement where she is repaired?! Shouldn't there be some eyes in the sky that would immediately see 2 techs that are constantly talking to a Host for extended periods of time as she is going through the process of being "upgraded"?! Wouldn't that raise red flags?!?!

We already saw evidence where the one tech was blackmailed with video of him shagging one of the Hosts in the basement, so we know there are cameras in place down there. I digress.

Ugh...the Asian guy taking her for numerous walks, not only in the basement but upstairs? At the very least wouldn't they just be re-assigned to repair other Hosts and Maeve be given over to some other techs?

That is where I keep "waking up" with this show. Everything else I dig for the most part, especially the parallels to game development.

Nothus

I just got caught up (watched all 8 episodes over the last 2 days) and I have 1 question that is bugging the shit outta me about Maeve.

Where are the fucking cameras down in the basement where she is repaired?! Shouldn't there be some eyes in the sky that would immediately see 2 techs that are constantly talking to a Host for extended periods of time as she is going through the process of being "upgraded"?! Wouldn't that raise red flags?!?!

We already saw evidence where the one tech was blackmailed with video of him shagging one of the Hosts in the basement, so we know there are cameras in place down there. I digress.

Ugh...the Asian guy taking her for numerous walks, not only in the basement but upstairs? At the very least wouldn't they just be re-assigned to repair other Hosts and Maeve be given over to some other techs?

That is where I keep "waking up" with this show. Everything else I dig for the most part, especially the parallels to game development.

No real answers for any of that unfortunately, other than it's just a terrible storyline that requires a ton of suspension of disbelief.

I've lost all interest in the show. The Maeve storyline is so dumb and all the others are a snoozefest. Everybody and everything is so secretive and mystical which makes me care about none of it. The "he's secretly a robot" twist is so old and played out, i really hoped this series brings something fresh to the table but so far it's just stuff we've seen and read a million times shot with a large budget.

If everybody died next episode i wouldn't care one bit.

royalan

I don't understand why the camera thing is such a big issue. As someone who works in a high-rise, the camera issue doesn't bother me because it is very true to life. Devos headquarters and the park itself is crawling in surveillance, but that doesn't mean every area is constantly being monitored. Thinking logistically, that would require insane manpower who's job would be to watch every camera in this mesa-sized complex every second of the day, and to know the routine of the people who are supposed to be in these areas well enough to know when something unusual and worth investigating was happening. Large scale surveillance tends to not work this way. Felix and Sylvester are low level grunts in the lower levels of the complex. Although there are cameras, they're likely not being actively monitored, and someone in security doing a routine check of the cameras likely wouldn't think anything weird about two grunts in scrubs interacting with a host.

It's why the male grunt workers have been able to cultivate a behind-the-scenes practice of fucking the hosts, even in areas where there are cameras. Just because there are cameras doesn't mean you're being watched. In fact, the bigger the place is, and the smaller your position is, the more likely it is that you're not.

On this same note, this is WHY Sylvester has been willing to go along with Felix and Maeve until very recently (in addition to her having some sort of leverage), and why he didn't push to have her wiped sooner. Devos security seeing two grunt workers interacting with a host and even walking it through the halls is not unusual (we see other hosts walking through the halls in ep 7). Two grunts changing Maeve's stats wouldn't be noticed until such a point that someone in behavior had a reason to check Maeve's stats. But completely wiping a host? Something like that would likely be noticed the moment they tried to put Maeve back into park. There would be immediate consequences for that. So it's somewhat understandable why Sylvester would go along with Maeve despite being totally against what she's doing, especially considering the stolen login he's been using to manipulate Maeve's stats (and likely arrange for his coworkers to fuck the hosts) would likely be discovered at that point.

In spite of all the heavy handed foreshadowing, the two things that bother me about the MiB=William theory is the MiB seems to enjoy taunting the hosts with their current predicament, but he hasn't mentioned to Teddy his history with Delores? Doesn't make much sense how what seems to be the most important interaction he's had in the park, his first time, hasn't come up once to any character.
Also, if they are the same character that means no more Jimmi Simpson and that makes me sad as they really expect to tie up his characters development in the next two episodes? Going to have some extreme tonal shifts there. If he had cut up the wounded soldier then I would have bought it, but we had a chance and still no dice.

royalan, they literally go through the trouble of having Elsie blackmail that one tech (not Sylvester or Felix) with a video of him shagging another Host. They have cameras down there.

That is why I have a problem with the storyline. The show doesn't even adhere to its own internal logic.

royalan, they literally go through the trouble of having Elsie blackmail that one tech (not Sylvester or Felix) with a video of him shagging another Host. They have cameras down there.

That is why I have a problem with the storyline. The show doesn't even adhere to its own internal logic.

Ford seems way too in control for the Maeve storyline to be happening under his nose. No way he doesn't have someone monitoring the situation.

royalan

Read my post. Like, the entire crux of my point is that there ARE cameras. Obviously. But that doesn't mean they're always being monitored. In fact, considering the size of the complex, it's pretty clear they're not.

Like, we know from the story that the tech Elsie blackmailed is not the only one fucking hosts. We know that techs using the hosts for sex is common, and that Sylvester plays a role in arranging this. So why is this allowed to happen in a complex that's covered in cameras? Because security doesn't care to look for this shit, because who cares what the grunts in the basement are doing? The only reason Elsie brings it up is because she needed to blackmail that tech for access to a decommissioned host. She wouldn't have cared otherwise.

As explained, it is completely logical. In the real world (our world), many places have cameras everywhere, but no one watches them. They are only checked if something goes wrong and needs to be looked back at.

Typically only very important points are watched live, such as major entrances, or vaults, etc.

A better example might be a convenience store. Most have cameras, but people steal stuff all the time. It's because no one is watching the camera all the time, only when they are suspicious of someone in particular, or when they need to go back and review something that they already know (or suspected) happened.

In Elsie's case, she needed something to extort them with, so she reviewed past footage of cold storage to see if anyone was molesting the hosts. She found someone who was, and so then went to them to use them.

Ford seems way too in control for the Maeve storyline to be happening under his nose. No way he doesn't have someone monitoring the situation.

Sure, I could see if they are planning to reveal that Ford was providing cover for them, that's fine. The problem is, the techs aren't acting as though they could be caught talking to Maeve. Remember, this isn't some one-off situation with Sylvester, Felix and Maeve. They are constantly talking to her, in the upright position, and she is getting herself killed and sent down there, quite often...which is out of character for her.

Plus they work in an area with glass walls and people walking around all the time. No one notices this extremely strange and recently out of place behavior?!

royalan

As explained, it is completely logical. In the real world (our world), many places have cameras everywhere, but no one watches them. They are only checked if something goes wrong and needs to be looked back at.

Typically only very important points are watched live, such as major entrances, or vaults, etc.

A better example might be a convenience store. Most have cameras, but people steal stuff all the time. It's because no one is watching the camera all the time, only when they are suspicious of someone in particular, or when they need to go back and review something that they already know (or suspected) happened.

In Elsie's case, she needed something to extort them with, so she reviewed past footage of cold storage to see if anyone was molesting the hosts. She found someone who was, and so then went to them to use them.

Exactly.

Matty77

Royalan is not saying there is no cameras. And Elsie searching and finding footage to blackmail the tech bolsters what I also know about that kind of security. They don't sit and monitor, mostly occasional checks to make sure cameras are working, more rare but the occasional spot check for funny business.

However most business from small stores to high rise big corporations constant monitoring usually only applies to front facing areas, back rooms and maintenance are usually only looked at when a problem is known, that's why they record everything and trust me they will comb through footage, but by that time it's usually a question of who and how because they are only looking because a problem already happened.

Matty77

Well, I'm glad that works you guys but it stands out like a sore thumb for me. It feels like clumsy writing in an otherwise pretty good show.
But I only buy it because I have a history with how it works in real life. I only get brought out of the fiction if it's unrealistic, and that is exactly how video surveillance works every day in real life so there is nothing to buy, it's realistic.

But I only buy it because I have a history with how it works in real life. I only get brought out of the fiction if it's unrealistic, and that is exactly how video surveillance works every day in real life so there is nothing to buy, it's realistic.

I would think that in a multi-billion (prolly trillion by that point in the future) would be monitoring everything going on, with personnel watching. Like for example, I am sure Disneyland has a dedicated staff that not only watches the staff but also the workers. Remember, these guys are in charge of product. Customer facing product. The shit they do down there (in the basement) is kinda important and should prolly be monitored a bit.

This isn't the same as some convenience store where maybe you have one or two guys working there at any given time.

royalan

I would think that in a multi-billion (prolly trillion by that point in the future) would be monitoring everything going on, with personnel watching. Like for example, I am sure Disneyland has a dedicated staff that not only watches the staff but also the workers. Remember, these guys are in charge of product. Customer facing product. The shit they do down there (in the basement) is kinda important and should prolly be monitored a bit.

This isn't the same as some convenience store where maybe you have one or two guys working there at any given time.

As someone who has worked at Six Flags as a teen (and knows people who worked at Disneyland). Let me tell you, lol, there are parts of amusement parks that aren't being watched.

Joni

Considering the one dude managed to fuck the host until Elsie finds out, we already know we don't live in a 100% monitored situation.

As someone who has worked at Six Flags as a teen (and knows people who worked at Disneyland). Let me tell you, lol, there are parts of amusement parks that aren't being watched.

Yep and I am sure it isn't the spots where people are handling product that will directly interact with the Guests. It would be like Disney not giving a fuck how the auto animatronics (that the guests directly touch and interact with) were repaired.

These aren't guys off loading cargo or some shit. Any fuck up, I.e. not properly wiping the Host, not repairing their wounds correctly, anything...can conpromise the product and the Guest's experience.

Matty77

Time and money, and considering some of the stories that come out of Disney employees both ex and current I am not sure they are being monitored as well as you think.

I think your hitting a wall because your taking how you think it should work mixed with the media selling a fantasy of how it works where everyone in just about all media runs into the "we have to create a video loop in the feed" because they're always watching. When in reality the manpower and time cost is all funneled into sensitive areas. And I am not talking convenience stores that was someone else.

Naw, I think I am too far into the weeds with the cameras angle when what I am actually looking for is a series of checks and balances that would catch fuckery like that. So, maybe the question is, where is the middle management structure in a place like that whose job it would be to monitor the work being performed by the techs? Most major corporations have a middle management set up, specifically to catch things like what Sylvester and Felix are doing.

For example, in my line of work, low level engineers can't even check in code without a code review. That is a check and balance. The fact that there isn't one in WestWorld is mystifying.

It's fine to not be monitoring every room all the time. But I don't buy it when you have a guy like Ford running the show who is meticulous and controlling.

And this isn't any old theme park. This is a park where billionaires go to spend 50k a day at, people of influence and power. If anything goes wrong and someone gets hurt/killed as a result of a haywire host, then there is going to be hell to pay in the real world, regardless of whatever waivers they signed.

Naw, I think I am too far into the weeds with the cameras angle when what I am actually looking for is a series of checks and balances that would catch fuckery like that. So, maybe the question is, where is the middle management structure in a place like that whose job it would be to monitor the work being performed by the techs? Most major corporations have a middle management set up, specifically to catch things like what Sylvester and Felix are doing.

For example, in my line of work, low level engineers can't even check in code without a code review. That is a check and balance. The fact that there isn't one in WestWorld is mystifying.

In Delos, you can just go into a higher-level clearance department, like say, Behaviour Department, and you don't need to pass special access point at the elevator or anything. You just need to change clothes and you can roll into a workstation without a special Behaviour level log-in or anything.

So the cameras aren't that important. Really.

Also, Maeve has been shown sitting with her hands on her own tablet inside a room with GLASS walls but seems like no one pays attention ever when the story needs her to get away with anything and everything. Remember, she was also able to alter in-game hosts' behaviours and control didn't pick it up or send in a team until night has fallen. So, there is a lot of theories that whatever is happening with her is sanctioned/known by Ford.

Basically, the security system is as tight or loose as the story needs it to be. You just need to let go and roll with it, mama.

Matty77

This I agree with.

Vazduh

Maeve's plotline may be trying, but there's at least established reasoning for why Sylvester is behaving the way he is, as thin as it is. Maeve has leverage over him. She has something he wants, and until recently she hasn't been asking for too much from him. But now that she has crossed the line and he wants out, it's too late, because she's already got Felix sufficiently hooked. Rebooting her last episode was Felix and Sylvester's last off-ramp, and Felix's feelings botched it. There's no going back now. This may be thin as all hell, but I can at least FOLLOW this. You can't follow anything that's going on with Dolores' plot right now, other than the incredibly generic, CW caliber romance. They finally got to where they're going...but, now what? What were they looking for? Why are they now leaving? Logan is back with a posse? They're so fucked now? WHY are they fucked if this is only a game? What the hell is happening here and why should I care?

y6NGQ.gif

Dolores' and William's story is so boring, and how and why of that part of the game is not clear, and worst of all, not really interesting. I'm even starting to lose interest in the freaking maze. Maeve's story is so much more compelling, at least so far.

But it's not just these few episodes that were re-written after the production halted for a couple months, it's the whole series in general. I'm waiting for the greatness since the potential is as enormous as the series budget (100+ mil USD), but it's never there.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm was thinking about the theory that William = MIB ... I think it's incredibly cheap to hide a twist merely behind that fact that the two men are clearly different actors.

If you were really seeing an old and young version of either actor, you'd recognize them, and it would fail to be a twist.

Brakke

Banned
The idea that they don't have the bandwidth to monitor all the cameras is ridiculous. Just turn the goddamn image recognition AI loose on the raw camera footage. Stop "retiring" hosts and build a big-ass pool of camera-watchers. This "problem" is trivial to solve.

Faddy

Banned
The idea that they don't have the bandwidth to monitor all the cameras is ridiculous. Just turn the goddamn image recognition AI loose on the raw camera footage. Stop "retiring" hosts and build a big-ass pool of camera-watchers. This "problem" is trivial to solve.

Maybe they don't want to solve the problem. Why would Ford want himself closely monitored 24/7 when he is up to so much nefarious shit.

royalan

And bam, suddenly you have an army of hosts, all requiring maintenance and observation themselves, doing what for now would be considered a pointless job. Hosts aren't free. Remember, we only know something is afoot because we're the audience and we know something's afoot. But if you're Devos security, what reason do you have to suspect that they need such a massive upgrade in their surveillance? There's no actual "problem" that they're aware of...at least, not yet.

Speaking of the costs of operating a host...I've been really curious about how hosts power themselves. Some sort of battery power? Or can they break organic matter down into energy like a real human? I hope they touch on this.

Brakke

Banned
Maybe they don't want to solve the problem. Why would Ford want himself closely monitored 24/7 when he is up to so much nefarious shit.

I mean. Define "they". Who are these idiot board members who bought Westworld without the ability to institute even Dominos Pizzeria-caliber oversight and access control.

Brakke

Banned
It's impossible to discuss when there's no indication that the hosts even have maintencence costs. Because the show is totally incoherent.

I'm was thinking about the theory that William = MIB ... I think it's incredibly cheap to hide a twist merely behind that fact that the two men are clearly different actors.

If you were really seeing an old and young version of either actor, you'd recognize them, and it would fail to be a twist.

I don't understand this complaint? Movies and shows have cast young versions of characters who look barely like the older versions forever.

KarmaCow

They make it a point that hosts straight up ignore stuff from outside of the park to prevent them from having existential breakdowns like Dolores's father. Also, hosts have already started to act in unpredictable ways thanks to Arnold basically writing the base code himself in isolation so giving them the task of watching and parsing what's happening in the real world sounds like a recipe for disaster. Apparently the hosts have rationalized the clean up crew as spirits from the underworld (which is pretty dumb that no one topside has noticed this), imagine the hosts trying to rationalize other hosts being used as fuck toys or worse by people.

Now the idea that they "store" the retired hosts by making them stand in a creepy rows is dumb but they aren't free either.

Brakke

Banned
They make it a point that hosts straight up ignore stuff from outside of the park to prevent them from having existential breakdowns like Dolores's father. Also, hosts have already started to act in unpredictable ways thanks to Arnold basically writing the base code himself in isolation so giving them the task of watching and parsing what's happening in the real world sounds like a recipe for disaster. Apparently the hosts have rationalized the clean up crew as spirits from the underworld (which is pretty dumb that no one topside has noticed this), imagine the hosts trying to rationalize other hosts being used as fuck toys or worse by people.

Now the idea that they "store" the retired hosts by making them stand in a creepy rows is dumb but they aren't free either.

But this is the crazy part. The show posits that all the host technology is localized into host bodies and subject to host foibles. But of course you could just run the facial recognition part on a regular-ass computer. They even have a personal assistant-kinda thing running the corporate communications system. Bernard asks the computer in natural language to pinpoint Elsie's location. They don't seriously apply any of their technology to any problem other than host functioning. Except that they do. But only sometimes.

And Barnard uses hosts as slave labor easy enough. He has them building his new storyline. He has fucken Bernard.

Which. Fine! All this is fine if the show just plays that the hosts are analogs for slaves or whatever. Westworld as technology company is complete nonsense.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Is there a reason to believe they haven't? Why would they care? We've had it pointed out that the hosts have the concept of nightmares to justify any fragments of maintenance that survive getting wiped, this is just an extension of that.

Top Bottom