• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

boxter432

Was it actually a part of Maeves plan to get captured? She didn't actually accomplish anything back there.
No I don't think so, she killed new clementine by accident when she relived slicing the MiB. But now she intentionally killed her self and the outlaw guy so they can do stuff inside.

Ferrio

Banned
But the
photo is the one that Logan had that Dolores' dad found in present day so did we just ditch present Dolores after the end of episode 1?

For the most part yes, though we see her off and on when it flips between the timelines during her scenes.

And unless I'm mistaken, we don't know yet why Abernathy didn't think it "looks like nothing." Random glitch or part of a bigger plan? If it's the latter, was it Ford, MiB or Arnold who's setting these events in motion.

Long story short, I'll reiterate that it holds more significance.
Reveries update.

Shy Fingers

Banned
My personal acting award of the year goes to Anthony Hopkins.

"...Goodbye my friend" and the actual remorse he showed walking away. Just ugh. Beautiful

royalan

The prime directive to not kill humans has to be manually entered. Ford built a backdoor that prevents them from ever harming him even when at a clean slate.

Unless you think she got sliced open a second time, Arnold is already dead during William's part.

FUCK

Brakke

Banned
Show remains risible. Bernardold's dramatic "my god..." had me rolling. Plus we gotta have a winking Tony Hops Jokes About Eating People moment?

I liked Young Tony tho. Anthony HOTkins more like amirite?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No offense to anyone in this thread but you all ruined the big reveals in the episode for me lol. I think most of the twists were predicted going back to episode 3, it's really quite ridiculous.

Oh well, reading gaf has its drawbacks i supposed.

Ferrio

Banned
So is there going to be two Bernards going head to head? Bernarold after Maeve fixes him up, and Bernard after Ford makes a new one?

Matticers

So is there going to be two Bernards going head to head? Bernarold after Maeve fixes him up, and Bernard after Ford makes a new one?

I figured Ford wouldn't make a new one. I thought he was planning on coming back to wipe Bernard's memory later or something but I'm assuming Maeve and crew get to Bernard first.

kirblar

I figured Ford wouldn't make a new one. I thought he was planning on coming back to wipe Bernard's memory later or something but I'm assuming Maeve and crew get to Bernard first.
I don't think this was the first Bernard. I don't think he plans for it to be the last, either.

Joni

It is interesting to see how many important people that they are killing. Seems like we are losing Arnold/Bernard, young William can't be back with the timeline theory, ... They must know they still have Hopkins next year if they're willing to kill Bernard.

Mega

Banned
I'm with the rest remarking on threads like these ruining or dampening the impact of bot big reveals and the unfolding plot and merging storylines. I'm staying out for the next full season. I binged completely blind on Mr. Robot and the experience was better than waiting around for thoroughly dissected theories to come true.

Zoe

It is interesting to see how many important people that they are killing. Seems like we are losing Arnold/Bernard, young William can't be back with the timeline theory, ... They must know they still have Hopkins next year if they're willing to kill Bernard.
William's company is buying a share of the park. If they continue the narrative technique in future seasons, they could show how things have changed in the outside throughout the years.

I don't think this was the first Bernard. I don't think he plans for it to be the last, either.

Why make a new one when he could just repair the old?

I think he's going to be part of Marge's army.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Such a shame to see Bernard go. You could tell that Ford is very upset having to do so.

Right?! I just hope they keep him on past season 1.

He's so fucking great in this, I'd hate for this show to lose it's current main redeeming quality to me

Zoe

We are well past "2 timelines", we have at about... 5? going on with Dolores.

Beta Dolores - secret sessions, kills everyone in the town
William Dolores - town is buried, walking around with her gut sliced open
MiB Dolores - solo trip, town is reconstructed but empty

There are other loops where she has failed, such as when she got shot at her farm in the gut or when she drowned in the river

The one thing I don't get is:

how did no one in the real world, like the board, recognize that Bernard looked exactly like Arnold? Surely there'd have to be some record of who Arnold was and what he did with Ford.

Makai

how did no one in the real world, like the board, recognize that Bernard looked exactly like Arnold? Surely there'd have to be some record of who Arnold was and what he did with Ford.
they're all hosts and he doesn't look like anythng to them

royalan

Beta Dolores - secret sessions, kills everyone in the town
William Dolores - town is buried, walking around with her gut sliced open
MiB Dolores - solo trip, town is reconstructed but empty

There are other loops where she has failed, such as when she got shot at her farm in the gut or when she drowned in the river

There's also Ford Dolores, from when he has the conversation with her in a dark room, and she says to herself "I didn't tell him" when he leaves.

I'm trying to figure out where in the timeline this fits in.

We could get young William next season. Anybody, really. All it takes is MiB learning the secret of Arnold's AI and having a young version of himself made with his current memories/thoughts/whatever, so he essentially gets to live forever in his young body. Also they wouldn't have to pay Ed Harris anymore, as I'm sure he an Hopkins cost a fortune.

f0lken

No one (EDIT: Human) we know in the show knew Arnold beyond Ford, he was working in an underground facility where everyone died before the park was even open, so its easy for Ford to delete and make it impossible to find records of his as Logan even aknowledged, there is no hint that Arnold was a celebrity or someone that people must have had known. Add to that the fact that Bernard was created years after he was murdered and Ford was the oficial face of the park for the investors no one must have really cared about its looks because Bernard was just an employee and Arnold just some guy that worked there.

No one noticed because no one cared to look for it

Zoe

There's also Ford Dolores, from when he has the conversation with her in a dark room, and she says to herself "I didn't tell him" when he leaves.

That was following an Arnold session though, probably over of their last.

Unless I'm mixing up her naked session with him.

Edit: I am mixing it up. I agree with Killthee that it occurred during one of the present day recalls.

So Maeve turned the tables on Fords most advanced host? Her storyline is true shit tier and if it wasn't for Hopkins and Wright this show would be another b tier tv show.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Could be during the initial recall in episode 1. Ford could have walked in once the interviews were done and interrogated her alone.

Joni

Who on the board would know Arnold? The ones like William that saved the park back then would have no reason to bring it up, while it is clear no one is around anymore that has met Arnold.

KingKong

Its an interesting question if Ford/Arnold were and are creating life if they can essentially create it at will. Its kind of like slaughterhouse animals, they wouldnt exist if we didnt create them for that purpose. What if he made a billion slightly randomized copies of Bernards mind on a computer, is that creating a billion lives

f0lken

So what about the security dude? Thats Ford controlling the savages?

I took it as such, with the next week series finale I think Ford is closing down loose ends and whats his name was already suspicious of Bernard last week when he brought that he knew about Bernard and Theresa

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Arnold died 34 years ago before the park opened to the public. Delos - Logans dad - didn't buy Westworld till 30 years ago (4 years later), so no one would have known Arnold then. And we don't know how many years later the board was established and William took over either (and we even see Logan say "I had no idea who this ARNOLD person is" in this very episode)

Future

Yeah started calling all this shit after talking here and rewatching episodes. Only thing they didn't confirm is MIB = William, and the only thing that could leave a ping of doubt on that is that it is so damn obvious.

So last episode

- how will robot uprising start. What stupid thing will Felix and Sylvester do next
- will ford pay for anything he has done. Can anyone actually hurt him
- how and why did Dolores kill Arnold
- what is the secret Arnold code. Is he a ghost in the machine
- whose controlling the natives. Only ford knows she's dead so is it him?
- hot board lady plan of exporting host... how's that gonna work
- what exactly is the new ford narrative

So even with the obvious MIB twist tons of thing to still see play out

One thing I have to remember to turn my brain off for is how relatively empty this whole base station is. Had a crowd of techs pinning Maeve down, ford and Bernard come in, Bernard freaks out and shows he's a host .......... but no other tech saw it? No camera to record it? It's the same thing that makes the Maeve and Felix scenes so hard to grasp.... you'd think people would see the revealing shit that tends to happen right out in the open

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wasn't it just a bit convenient for Maeve's plan that she happened to be woken up by a behavior tech that happened to be a host? What was her plan if it was yet another low level tech?

I shrug this off as sort of another part of our loose grasp of time within the show. We don't know how many times she's been down since the last episode, could be a few, and if it wasn't Bernard this time maybe it would have been him next

TheYanger

Yeah started calling all this shit after talking here and rewatching episodes. Only thing they didn't confirm is MIB = William, and the only thing that could leave a ping of doubt on that is that it is so damn obvious.

So last episode

- how will robot uprising start. What stupid thing will Felix and Sylvester do next
- will ford pay for anything he has done. Can anyone actually hurt him
- how and why did Dolores kill Arnold
- what is the secret Arnold code. Is he a ghost in the machine
- whose controlling the natives. Only ford knows she's dead so is it him?
- hot board lady plan of exporting host... how's that gonna work
- what exactly is the new ford narrative

So even with the obvious MIB twist tons of thing to still see play out

One thing I have to remember to turn my brain off for is how relatively empty this whole base station is. Had a crowd of techs pinning Maeve down, ford and Bernard come in, Bernard freaks out and shows he's a host .......... but no other tech saw it? No camera to record it? It's the same thing that makes the Maeve and Felix scenes so hard to grasp.... you'd think people would see the revealing shit that tends to happen right out in the open

Why would another tech see it? They're not going to just randomly be watching each person in their employ unless something happens to give them reason to check whatever footage they may have. They don't appear to have tons of employees, the overhead you're assuming they have to notice that kind of thing would effectively double their workforce.

Why would another tech see it? They're not going to just randomly be watching each person in their employ unless something happens to give them reason to check whatever footage they may have. They don't appear to have tons of employees, the overhead you're assuming they have to notice that kind of thing would effectively double their workforce.

I agree that you have to shut off your brain (just like any other show in history), but yea, that's really nitpicky. Maeve's storyline hasn't really been great for me until now. No one would really confront the boss engineer dealing with a random host even if something looks a bit off.

Top Bottom