• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Dolores' is still my favorite storyline. It has been dragging but she has bad bitch status for life after she flipped the script in Episode 5. She could pussyfoot around the ranch and paint still lifes for an entire season and I'll stick with it. Plus, I like William. Good actor and character.

Maeve's storyline is in the middle. The writers ask you to swallow a lot of bullshit, and yet I find a bit intriguing. Will she actually get away with this? If I think about it less like a cliche robot rebellion and more like a heist movie, I enjoy it more.

Ford & Bernard are last. They have the best actor performances without question but all of their material is secrets secrets secrets. Strip that away and there isn't much left.

That all went as expected, I haven't really been following this OT or seen anything else in terms of theories for this show but even without the internet speculation it was pretty predictable despite some sort of attempt at the people who wrote it probably thinking they were being clever.

SwolBro

Banned
That all went as expected, I haven't really been following this OT or seen anything else in terms of theories for this show but even without the internet speculation it was pretty predictable despite some sort of attempt at the people who wrote it probably thinking they were being clever.

I don't think they thought they were being clever... i mean, this is a Nolan we are talking about here. Him and his brother know their audience. They know the general public is kind of slow and so they throw everything they can right on the nose and yet people STILL don't see it. lol

so, what do you expect really? Can you blame them?

MoeDabs

They left hints and clues for a reason. Congrats on picking up on them.

It wasn't predictable in the negative context you're using the word. It wasn't supposed to be a SURPRISE TWIST!!!!

Those are actually pretty lame. This was very well telegraphed and not at all random. I thought the breadcrumbs were really well laid out. Of course an internet filled with a zillion people are going to catch on.

The Mule

I'm kinda bored by this show now. The last episode wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it would be given the reveals. I think following all the theory crafting here took the wind out of the show's sails for me.

Future

The Nolans have been trying to catch the Wachowksis ever since The Matrix. This show is really the Matrix flipped on it's head.

The difference between the W's and N's is that the Nolans are so goddamn on the nose. That's why people had figured out so much of the twists already way beforehand.

Also, in this show there actually isn't much happening besides the twists themselves. Even this episode: it felt like literally 50% of it was flashback (many repeating themselves within the episode). The other 50 was slow build up to reveals we new. Not much character progression outside of William/Logan. Dolores wasn't given any time to do anything with the information she has. MIB still on the hunt for the maze. Got board lady still wanting to get ford out. Ford still working on the new narrative. Maeve still army recruiting and got...... one new member only after 2 episodes lol

What do people think about teddy? He's there after Wyatt because of ford.... which led him to the blond chick who seems self aware and related to all the natives? But then he seems to have a memory of himself doing all the shooting? Is she an off the grid host?

Dmax3901

3UH0gvb.png

I'm sure people have already theorised, but I wonder if this photo is of Julia, and was left in the dirt by William all those years ago.

I know I'm not a special snowflake but please let me at least have this.

MoeDabs

It wasn't predictable in the negative context you're using the word. It wasn't supposed to be a SURPRISE TWIST!!!!

Those are actually pretty lame. This was very well telegraphed and not at all random. I thought the breadcrumbs were really well laid out. Of course an internet filled with a zillion people are going to catch on.

Yeah I'm not seeing the problem with these reveals. I understand that the overall plot has stalled but with a 90 minute finale, I'm hoping for a decent conclusion. I'll be disappointed if they have all this build up and still leave stuff dangling. That said, I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Qvoth

just watched it, so 2 theories down, 1 more to go
anthony hopkins is AMAZING in this show, he MUST return for the 2nd season

duckroll

There isn't anything wrong with having well telegraphed mysteries. I think Westworld's problem is just that there isn't much else. The characters are largely uninteresting, there isn't a lot going on with any of them, and most just fill roles in service of the storyline. That's boring. I find that i really miss Theresa's interactions with Bernard and Ford, and I'll miss Bernard's interactions with Ford and Elsie. I can't bring myself to really care for any of the remaining characters. Dolores, MiB/William, Charlotte, who gives a fuck. Hopefully Maeve and Hector are the leads next season instead.

Also, in this show there actually isn't much happening besides the twists themselves. Even this episode: it felt like literally 50% of it was flashback (many repeating themselves within the episode). The other 50 was slow build up to reveals we new. Not much character progression outside of William/Logan. Dolores wasn't given any time to do anything with the information she has. MIB still on the hunt for the maze. Got board lady still wanting to get ford out. Ford still working on the new narrative. Maeve still army recruiting and got...... one new member only after 2 episodes lol

What do people think about teddy? He's there after Wyatt because of ford.... which led him to the blond chick who seems self aware and related to all the natives? But then he seems to have a memory of himself doing all the shooting? Is she an off the grid host?

BrcUses he's Wyatt. Duh. they repurposed his storyline and made him his own nemesis. (And he now remembers) What's so unclear about this?

There isn't anything wrong with having well telegraphed mysteries. I think Westworld's problem is just that there isn't much else. The characters are largely uninteresting, there isn't a lot going on with any of them, and most just fill roles in service of the storyline. That's boring. I find that i really miss Theresa's interactions with Bernard and Ford, and I'll miss Bernard's interactions with Ford and Elsie. I can't bring myself to really care for any of the remaining characters. Dolores, MiB/William, Charlotte, who gives a fuck. Hopefully Maeve and Hector are the leads next season instead.

Potato potatoe. You think it's boring, others don't. I don't.

It's sort of a slow burn and it's been like that from day1.

Solo

Despite my voiced opinion last night of the internet's cracking of the show hurting my enjoyment, that was a great episode. Which was needed, both because Ep. 8 was by far and away the worst this season (and the only stinker so far) and to set the board for Ep. 10. "What door?" is a landmark moment for this show, and while all the reveals of last night are weighty too, none of them landed like that one did.

I do intend to take the advice of those who quoted me last night and not follow the online community for S2. Thinking I'll enjoy that experience a lot more.

As for last night, I think the reveal that had the most weight was that Dolores killed Arnold - Evan Rachel Wood acted the hell out of that reveal. Hoping in the finale that we actually see the event and what triggered it. Did Arnold make Dolores martyr him in hopes of it starting an uprising? Did Arnold see the hosts and a new, pure, superior lifeform that deserved a chance to exist without being under the thumb of corrupt, flawed, selfish humans?

Is it all of part a chess game he's playi
I don't think Elsie is dead. We haven't been shown her body and it'll be a waste of her character if she got a offscreen death.

Pretty sure she's dead. Assassin Arnold gets the job done. The printed body in the house was.speculated.to be what's her face (who got her head smashed on the wall) but with the beacon.coming live, the new host is 90% gonna be Elise

RS4-

People's Hernandez is the best. I hope he isn't gone for long lol.

Great work ep to make up for the precious one.

So Bernard crashes when he see Meave kill herself, what if he crash when Ford is not around? That's shitty Win ME reliability right there.

Between Logan and William, I kind of on Login's side. William is basically like one of those guy who goes to Vegas for a Bachelor's party weekend and lost himself to a hooker.

Overall I like this show a lot more than Lost, and Interstellar. I think Sir Anthony Hopkins elevates the show so much.

I still don't give a fuck about MIB and Teddy's stories.

Future

BrcUses he's Wyatt. Duh. they repurposed his storyline and made him his own nemesis. (And he now remembers) What's so unclear about this?

More that

- why did ford give him this new storyline at all. Does he want them all to remember? Seemed like Arnold is all about the self awareness
- the blond host that seems to already be self aware

Dolores' is still my favorite storyline. It has been dragging but she has bad bitch status for life after she flipped the script in Episode 5. She could pussyfoot around the ranch and paint still lifes for an entire season and I'll stick with it. Plus, I like William. Good actor and character.

Maeve's storyline is in the middle. The writers ask you to swallow a lot of bullshit, and yet I find a bit intriguing. Will she actually get away with this? If I think about it less like a cliche robot rebellion and more like a heist movie, I enjoy it more.

Ford & Bernard are last. They have the best actor performances without question but all of their material is secrets secrets secrets. Strip that away and there isn't much left.

My rating of the story lines:
Great:
Ford and Bernard
Ford and the corporate foos

Meh
Arnold cat and mouse game with Dolores (she is pretty good at acting shock again and again, even though there is no fucking stake.)

Bad
British writer, Theresa, Board chick, Thor brother
MIB
Wyatt, who actually cares about this nobody?

Terrible
Maeve, just no.

Zoe

One thing I have to remember to turn my brain off for is how relatively empty this whole base station is. Had a crowd of techs pinning Maeve down, ford and Bernard come in, Bernard freaks out and shows he's a host .......... but no other tech saw it? No camera to record it? It's the same thing that makes the Maeve and Felix scenes so hard to grasp.... you'd think people would see the revealing shit that tends to happen right out in the open

They brought in the big boss because her malfunction was off the charts--just like when her daughter was killed. Both times, the lower techs were told to clear the floor while she was being evaluated.

Solo

Maeve is a great character, she's wonderfully acted, and has a great arc. Yes, the 2 goofball techs hurt it, but it's still a good arc. Thandie Newton is killing it.

Violet_0

Banned
great episode, it pretty much confirmed everything we know but Hopkins was marvelous

the only new revelation for me was that I didn't connect the dots of Wyatt and Teddy shooting everyone in the town to Dolores doing the same in the last episode

regarding Bernard, I forgot, do headshots effectively kill the hosts?

creatchee

That photograph - so what's happening with William and Deloris occurred long ago - it's all flashbacks? I'm confused.

My idea on the photograph is that it's not actually a picture of William's fiancee - it's one of the stock photos that handlers show hosts while analyzing them and asking them if they mean anything to them. Following that:

- Logan and William are hosts, but different from park hosts - perhaps the next level in terms of application of the host program. The other hosts can't kill them for the same reason they can't kill actual humans - programming. I'm thinking either test models for real life military or corporate espionage missions.

- The Westworld park is basically a training scenario for these next level hosts to assimilate and perform in the real world and provide them with self-actualization - something that would make AI far closer to actual human intelligence.

- Somebody planted the photo to specifically get Dolores' dad out of circulation, just like somebody planted the gun to break the storyline cycle of Dolores getting killed by the bandits. I have no idea why on the first (should be revealed, as they pulled him out of cold storage recently), and the second might have been MiB for maze purposes.

I dunno, just thoughts. Probably completely off.

Violet_0

Banned
oh yeah, one odd scene was that Maev could command Bernard to freeze. You'd think Ford would have taken special precautions to ensure no one accidently shuts down and reveals his sleeper agent. And if he did, there's no way she could know about it

Bernard: *makes a throwaway joke*
other person: "Oh, that's enough Berna... huh?"
if I was working at Westworld I'd always check first if the other person is a host, and again every time I meet them just in case they were replaced by bots in meantime

Makai

great episode, it pretty much confirmed everything we know but Hopkins was marvelous

the only new revelation for me was that I didn't connect the dots of Wyatt and Teddy shooting everyone in the town to Dolores doing the same in the last episode

regarding Bernard, I forgot, do headshots effectively kill the hosts?
If they did, what would they do with all those storylines. They probably have the code stored elsewhere and they just rebuild them.

Helmholtz

Maeve is a great character, she's wonderfully acted, and has a great arc. Yes, the 2 goofball techs hurt it, but it's still a good arc. Thandie Newton is killing it.
I agree. Whenever I check this thread I'm kind of baffled by all the hate it gets. The scene of her walking through the facility to motion picture soundtrack is one of my favorites too.

why are people even still arguing about the MIB being William? That's pretty much a forgone conclusion at this point.

Because the writing about it is deliberately sloppy and shows inconsistency. Most likely on purpose to throw the viewer off.

It was Logan handing William the photo and William cutting up all the hosts to show they are metal that did it for me, before that I couldn't get over why we see William in any scene without Dolores if he only exists as a flashback. Additionally, Dolores being the frontier daughter for so damn long seems strange she was never assigned any other role. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Am I the only one who's enjoying Maeve's storyline? She's a badass character and acting is great as well.

I am. I've been viewing it as a progression, from realization, to determination, and then to finding better ways. Her connecting/turning Bernard was brilliant.

This episode was a little ho-hum, in that it was mostly confirming what we already surmised. But Maeve/Bernard connection was ace.

And Ford disagreed with Arnold because Ford thought giving them consciousness would create scenario's like Maeve is doing right now. He says in this ep he didn't want the android's to be like humans in that way.

I don't see why it makes much sense for Maeve to be part of Ford's plan and if it is that would be a misstep imo.

I really hope that Maeve isn't part of a plan so much as the technology getting out of control once it passes a certain threshold. For it to all be orchestrated would not be as Chriton-esque as unplanned consequences of science.

ZOONAMI

Yeah so mib = william, so eating crow, but I pretty much accepted that's what was going to happen a few weeks ago.

I do think william completing going off the deep end somewhat suddenly is pretty well out of character for him, and even mib, and also doesn't really jive with mib killing Maeve and her daughter as being some sort of breaking point. He literally murdered the shit out of an entire army camp so I don't really see how killing Maeve and her daughter was some sort of awakening after his divorce or whatever.

Top Bottom