• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Barzul

Dolores storyline confuses me. That segment with Arnold when she says she killed him, was that past Dolores or present Dolores having that realization? If it was past Dolores, was her mind then wiped of it after the fact? Sometimes it's hard to follow. Or is there only one timeline...

Violet_0

Banned
Dolores storyline confuses me. That segment with Arnold when she says she killed him, was that past Dolores or present Dolores having that realization? If it was past Dolores, was her mind then wiped of it after the fact? Sometimes it's hard to follow. Or is there only one timeline...

cowboy outfit, empty village, no cut-open stomach, encounters MiB at the end - "current" timeline Dolores (the one set farthest in the future)

the flashback when she was wearing the dress - first timeline (the oldest known one, pre-William)

we don't know what happened to William-era Dolores yet

duckroll

Yeah so mib = william, so eating crow, but I pretty much accepted that's what was going to happen a few weeks ago.

I do think william completing going off the deep end somewhat suddenly is pretty well out of character for him, and even mib, and also doesn't really jive with mib killing Maeve and her daughter as being some sort of breaking point. He literally murdered the shit out of an entire army camp so I don't really see how killing Maeve and her daughter was some sort of awakening after his divorce or whatever.

Well it's kinda like the difference between killing an entire camp of bad guys in an open world RPG, and going out to find some peaceful NPC family in the corner of the world and murdering them in cold blood.

He literally murdered the shit out of an entire army camp so I don't really see how killing Maeve and her daughter was some sort of awakening after his divorce or whatever.

Killing a mother and daughter, defenselessly running for their lives =/= killing a camp of soldiers

He even explains why it was a suitable test for himself.

He had a wife and daughter so there was a degree of symbolism going on there for him to do that particular kill type.

Barzul

cowboy outfit, empty village, no cut-open stomach, encounters MiB at the end - "current" timeline Dolores (the one set farthest in the future)

the flashback when she was wearing the dress - first timeline (the oldest known one, pre-William)

Ah ok, thanks so much....clears up a few things for me.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

That town is buried in the current timeline. We're seeing multiple different time periods with Dolores. The key thing to realize is that she's blending in things from different time periods. She's not sure who is who or 'when' she is. So in the church she may see MiB, but it could actually be young William.

jett

D-Member
What's the deal with "present time" Dolores? Is this the first time we've seen her since the first episode(s)?

Barzul

That town is buried in the current timeline. We're seeing multiple different time periods with Dolores. The key thing to realize is that she's blending in things from different time periods. She's not sure who is who or 'when' she is. So in the church she may see MiB, but it could actually be young William.

See this is what I was leaning towards also, that she was blending timelines. It's just confusing for the viewer...me anyways...I hope it ties up together in the finale.

Violet_0

Banned

fair point, though I think the town was already dug up again in the current timeline, while it is burried in the William timeline
What's the deal with "present time" Dolores? Is this the first time we've seen her since the first episode(s)?
every scene where she was suddenly shown standing around alone was probably her, definitely the ones where she wasn't wearing the dress. Like in the graveyard or on the train, retracing her steps

Solo

But *is* the town buried in the current timeline? We see the steeple buried in Ep. 2, but in Ep. 4 Ford has massive excavations underway. Was he not having the town dug up?

duckroll

But *is* the town buried in the current timeline? We see the steeple buried in Ep. 2, but in Ep. 4 Ford has massive excavations underway. Was he not having the town dug up?

The town is unburied today. It was buried in William's time. It was buried after Arnold's death, and remained buried for the entire duration of 34 years until now.

Holy shit

Wl9DY95.jpg

What am I looking at?

jett

D-Member
fair point, though I think the town was already dug up again in the current timeline, while it is burried in the William timeline

every scene where she was suddenly shown standing around alone was probably her, definitely the ones where she wasn't wearing the dress. Like in the graveyard or on the train, retracing her steps

Seems messy. I definitely cannot trace back her steps in any coherent manner.

ced

The town is unburied today. It was buried in William's time. It was buried after Arnold's death, and remained buried for the entire duration of 34 years until now.

It was shown unburried in Williams time when they went to that south of the border town, unless it was a different church.

FStop7

Banned
Am I the only one who's enjoying Maeve's storyline? She's a badass character and acting is great as well.

I like Maeve just fine. But fuuuuuuuuuuuck the two dipshit Jar Jar Binks idiots helping her. They're terrible. They look dumb. They have dumb dialogue. Their acting sucks. They stuck out like sore thumbs.

duckroll

It was shown unburried in Williams time when they went to that south of the border town, unless it was a different church.

No it wasn't, it was buried. There was no town there, which is why William didn't see anything. It's just the black steeple of the church sticking out of the ground. The vision Dolores sees when she is in the area is a flashback to pre-opening.

yeah, that seems to make the most sense.

anyone else thinking that ford may be a host? i'm wondering if he was created by arnold to help him (similar to ford and bernard's relationship). also, i don't think bernard is dead and gone. and i can't see the point of ford building a new bernard when he could have just wiped the memory of the old one... unless building a new one would prevent the memories from popping up.

and is there any speculation into the code that arnold created? clearly ford cannot remove it for some reason and it seems to be the cause of the "problems" with the hosts. ford seems to keep patching them and stacking layer upon layer of new code on top yet whatever it is that arnold programmed continues to break through to the surface...

Solo

Bernard isnt dead and gone - he's a host. He'll be cleaned up and back tomorrow without knowledge of what happened. But, like Maeve and Dolores, it seems like Bernard is going to keep on (re) discovering the truth over and over.

Ford being a host would be awful for me.

-griffy-

Banned

No, the town was buried in the current timeline at the start of the show, but was excavated by Ford for his new storyline with Wyatt.

The town was used for testing the hosts before the park was opened, where we see Dolores meeting with Arnold, host behaviors tested, and Teddy massacring the town. It was then buried and the park was opened. A few years later, after the park is opened, William and Dolores eventually find the town buried, which triggers flashbacks for Dolores. 30 years pass and Ford starts to develop his new storyline involving Wyatt, and gives Teddy a new backstory based on the event from 30 years ago where he shot up the town. Ford excavates the town and restores it for this new storyline. Dolores in the present storyline, who is newly self aware and remembering her past under the guidance of her Arnold inner monologue (and having trouble differentiating between those past memories and the present since hosts experience memories in perfect clarity and feeling), finds the excavated town, remembers who Arnold is and what happened to him, and encounters the Man in Black (who is William some 30 years after Dolores first met him).

If Maeve gets the drop on Ford, I drop the show. I can't stand that storyline, though I love Thandie. I'm also grateful, GAF made me check this show out. Well worth it. Also happy I didn't stick around for the OT, I didn't see any of the twists except for the MiB one.

Hopkins needs to get some gold for his acting on this one. Jesus. Same for Jeffrey Wright. And Evan Rachel Wood.

I want to like Maeve, but my problem with her is that she keeps making progress just through her commanding voice. It makes sense with Bernard because he's a host. And I'd suspend belief that it would work on the butchers cause they're spineless except that she introduced herself to Sylvester by putting a scalpel to his neck.

"You're going to give me 10/10 stats and you're not going to shut me down the first chance you get even though I have no real control over you and can't hurt you unless you allow me to...DAWLLLLINGGG."

I know they want me to think she's a strong female character who uses smarts and wits to start the revolution. But I don't think any part of her plan has succeded because she did anything smart. It's all been one big gamble every step of the way. Not a calculated gamble either. Just "you're gonna do it dawling! (god I hope he does it or else I'm fucked!)"

And I wish they left Hector a joke character, an edgelord type character who's been focus tested to hell and back to be the ultimate badass and ladies man but just keeps getting killed by dorky ass guests. I guess that's Teddy's role though.

Violet_0

Banned
the problem I have with Maev is that I think she's pretty much the Daenerys of Westworld, a character destined to "win" and overcome any challenge with ease until the writers decide otherwise. I can't bring myself to like her arc, it feels lazy, it's the least compelling story for me

No, the town was buried in the current timeline at the start of the show, but was excavated by Ford for his new storyline with Wyatt.

The town was used for testing the hosts before the park was opened, where we see Dolores meeting with Arnold, host behaviors tested, and Teddy massacring the town. It was then buried and the park was opened. A few years later, after the park is opened, William and Dolores eventually find the town buried, which triggers flashbacks for Dolores. 30 years pass and Ford starts to develop his new storyline involving Wyatt, and gives Teddy a new backstory based on the event from 30 years ago where he shot up the town. Ford excavates the town and restores it for this new storyline. Dolores in the present storyline, who is newly self aware and remembering her past under the guidance of her Arnold inner monologue (and having trouble differentiating between those past memories and the present since hosts experience memories in perfect clarity and feeling), finds the excavated town, remembers who Arnold is and what happened to him, and encounters the Man in Black (who is William some 30 years after Dolores first met him).

yeah, i think this is spot on. also assuming that everything that went down there included arnold's death which may explain why the town was buried in the first place.

Zoe

30 years pass and Ford starts to develop his new storyline involving Wyatt, and gives Teddy a new backstory based on the event from 30 years ago where he shot up the town. Ford excavates the town and restores it for this new storyline.

This is the only part that bothers me. Ford said he's not a sentimental guy yet he's completely rehashing the past.

the problem I have with Maev is that I think she's pretty much the Daenerys of Westworld, a character destined to "win" and overcome any challenge with ease until the writers decide otherwise. I can't bring myself to like her arc, it feels lazy, it's the least compelling story for me

Daenarys has leverage and clout and ancient bloodline and all that shit though. She doesn't just throw her weight around, she can back it up and people have reason to fear her. And she does not have a killswitch installed in her spine that the Sons of the Harpies can just trigger with the touch of a button.

So Dolores seeing the MiB at the end of the episode is in the current timeline? Cause he didn't look dirty or unshaven compared to when we last saw him with one of the board members.

Joni

The tablet seems to work strange. Requires Ford fingerprint to unlock stuff? So how could the butchers unlock anything?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

Yeah, it's definitely possible that the town has been dug up again. But then the question is when does MiB enter the church? Is that supposed to be a flash forward from his current storyline?

Haruko

Holy shit

Wl9DY95.jpg

Having a physical copy of a photo... who does that in 2016, let alone whatever future year Westworld is set in (at least, when William/Logan are there)?

Most unbelievable thing in the show so far; immersion ruined.

/s
sorta, but honestly who does this anymore?

ActWan

Okkkk good episode! I loved the "Bernard is based on Arnold" reveal although it was expected.
I still do not think the Man in Black is William, or any other character. I think it's all a big red herring. But something is DEFINITELY going on with the times here...if the Man in Black IS future William, it won't really make sense at all so "multiple timelines" is something I can sort off accept I guess.

But under it all..I think one scene in this episode confirmed my most important theory - that Ford is a robot. The scene where "young" Ford goes out of the room and calls Arnold...his movement seems so robotic, especially while closing the first door...guess I'll have to wait for episode 10 for the reveal :).

Angry Fork

This reminded me of when she's running in the woods hurt from the stab wound and then it suddenly went away. Just now realizing that was the transition to the different time period but at the time I was like ???.

duckroll

Yeah, it's definitely possible that the town has been dug up again. But then the question is when does MiB enter the church? Is that supposed to be a flash forward from his current storyline?

It's not "possible", it is stated for a fact by Charlotte in the previous episode that Ford has completed digging up the old town.

MiB freed himself from the horse rope trap, dusted himself off, told Charlotte to leave him the fuck alone, and he walked to the church.

Top Bottom