• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Solo

Excellent finale, made me immediately want to rewatch the entire season (which I'll probably do next year if S2 isn't out until 2018).

I will say though, until I read a Vulture recap of last week's episode -- which is the first time I'd ever read a recap of this show -- I had absolutely no idea that William = MIB was at all a thing, much less a theory everyone was already rolling with. Wish I hadn't read that because it would've made the reveal that much more impactful for me. I will continue to steer clear of recaps and GAF theorizing next time. :lol

Consider yourself lucky!

William = MiB
Wyatt = Dolores
Bernard = Arnold
Bernard = Host

All of these things and many more were figured out weeks ahead here. I too wish I hadn't been reading this thread haha. I'll be going on radio silence in S2. I want to be surprised.

Either rthat or S2 needs to be constructed differently, in such a way that "solving" the reveals doesn't become the driving force of social media.

Kalentan

One thing that is rather untidy though is Elsie and Stubbs. S2 wasn't confirmed until loooong after S1 was finished. So to just have Elsie and Stubbs maybe have deaths off-screen is quite clumsy.

The ARG seems to imply Elsie is still alive. Stubbs probably as well by virtue of him not appearing again and being connected to her (after all he did vanish looking for her.)

Solo

The ARG seems to imply Elsie is still alive. Stubbs probably as well by virtue of him not appearing again and being connected to her (after all he did vanish looking for her.)

I'm certain both will be in S2 and alive, too. Just saying that both of their character arcs would have had no closure if it had been a one season show, whereas characters like Ford, Dolores, William had great, complete arcs.

YJwRiVd.gif

Solo

I really hope HBO releases Ramin Djawadi's full score. The music in the show was fantastic and was just as important as the cinematography and direction.

Corpekata

Banned
Not resolving Security Guy (and possibly Elsie) was odd given all the other stuff that was answered. It isn't like there's a big investment in his fate so leaving it on a cliffhanger just seems awkward.

I imagine it will lead to both of them being alive, as with Ford dead, William in the past, Bernard a host, the show will need some humans to interact with the rebellion that we might have some positive (if faint) affinity for.

Vic_Viper

Loved the last episode until like the last 20 minutes.

You could almost tell where they had trouble finding the right ending for the finale. I thought Ford's character did a complete 180 when he says he was trying to help them find consiciousness. Everything else was great. Can't wait to see what they do next.

Loved the last episode until like the last 20 minutes.

You could almost tell where they had trouble finding the right ending for the finale. I thought Ford's character did a complete 180 when he says he was trying to help them find consiciousness. Everything else was great. Can't wait to see what they do next.
Suffering is the key

It was all an act and a means to keep pushing them to consciousness

Moff

Hosts "dying" from shots is basically just programming, since we saw the host in the first episode completely disregard gunshots. So if they can override the death reaction to being "killed", security forces and their guns aren't very useful

we have seen hosts disregard bullts from security guards?

also, I think elsie and security guy might be the protagonists of season 2

Jb

While I enjoyed the finale I feel like they spent too much time over-explaining most character's motivations in soliloquies that I found a little on the nose. It's kind of a problem I have with a few of this season's narrative arcs: less time spent on them would have made them punchier and less predictable (Maeve, MiB...). Still, good show.

I didn't quite get that either. Of all the loose ends they could have tied up or teased, they decided to show us what happened to the host who had her arm stuck in a door...

They could have cut it out like an arm stuck in a door and it wouldn't have been missed.

lmao WHAT???

She was easily one thousand percent the BEST THING ABOUT THAT EPISODE. (Which itself was fucking overflowing with standouts at every turn.)

The ENTIRE time from the escape I was like "Holy fuck, this is the best charac, wait WTF she's gonna die, FUCK THAT." And then, WHAMMY. She didn't die.

Best post credits since Doctor Strange.

KingKong

My favorite part of the episode was Dolores finding consciousnesses right in front of William and his response being 'yeah but where's Wyatt. I need to solve this quest'

Akim

Banned
I must be an idiot because I didn't read anything before I watched the series and I didn't see any of the twists coming.

The only thing I thought is that one of the main characters would be a host, but I didn't know who. I was thinking Dr. Ford.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
William turned out to be a real piece of dog shit.

Well yeah. Williams own wife killed herself after being scared of him for 30 years. His daughter didnt care much for him either. He was always a piece of shit inside, Delores just brought it out of him. I think it was cool how it kind of... kind of alludes to this internet white knight gamer who are actually a bunch of piece of shits inside ready to turn on women at the first sight of betrayal.

My favorite part of the episode was Dolores finding consciousnesses right in front of William and his response being 'yeah but where's Wyatt. I need to solve this quest'

lol he just wanted some xp.

shira

I must be an idiot because I didn't read anything before I watched the series and I didn't see any of the twists coming.

The only thing I thought is that one of the main characters would be a host, but I didn't know who. I was thinking Dr. Ford.

That's probably the best way to watch it.

I envy your restraint.

lmao WHAT???

She was easily one thousand percent the BEST THING ABOUT THAT EPISODE. (Which itself was fucking overflowing with standouts at every turn.)

The ENTIRE time from the escape I was like "Holy fuck, this is the best charac, wait WTF she's gonna die, FUCK THAT." And then, WHAMMY. She didn't die.

Best post credits since Doctor Strange.
She had some terminator vibe. If anything, that scene further proves how incompetent the TAC team is. She is stuck and they still got wiped out.

Good finale and overall great season, not perfect but pretty much the best in television right now IMO.

Sad to see Hopkins go thought, he reaIly did bring quite a lot to the plate acting wise. I am going to assume they are not going to use some host fuckery to bring him back, although he might be present in flashbaks or some such smaller role, I hope. All characters ending up in interesting places along with that feudal Japan tease gives me hope for what's to come.

Now to wait for the next season.

Koobion

I am at a strange crossroads where I totally don't believe that Ford will be in season 2, but I absolutely adored his character that I can't accept that he won't be. Anybody else feel that way?

The William reveal was very exciting to me, as somebody who ignored almost everything about the show online. I do hope they continue a dual timeline, but it's expected now, so maybe not.

This might be a dumb question, but why did so many people refer to Wyatt's men? I guess it was just in their story, rather than there actually being any evidence of the character existing in a physical sense?

Vengal

Hosts "dying" from shots is basically just programming, since we saw the host in the first episode completely disregard gunshots. So if they can override the death reaction to being "killed", security forces and their guns aren't very useful

And Dolores showed us how strong a host is, by taking William's punches like they were little taps and then throwing him around with ease

Pretty sure they can't regenerate and still have the same structural physiology as people. So they use eyes to see, bullets handle flesh pretty well. So gut and chest shots may not put them down but get joints, eyes, or just do enough damage toll they are bled dry and they stop.

Future

I am at a strange crossroads where I totally don't believe that Ford will be in season 2, but I absolutely adored his character that I can't accept that he won't be. Anybody else feel that way?

The William reveal was very exciting to me, as somebody who ignored almost everything about the show online. I do hope they continue a dual timeline, but it's expected now, so maybe not.

This might be a dumb question, but why did so many people refer to Wyatt's men? I guess it was just in their story, rather than there actually being any evidence of the character existing in a physical sense?

All part of the narrative. The real show twist was to get the oldest hosts to suffer enough to want to make decisions of their own. Dolores and Maeve being the first two. Every other host is still following narrative.

Pretty sure they can't regenerate and still have the same structural physiology as people. So they use eyes to see, bullets handle flesh pretty well. So gut and chest shots may not put them down but get joints, eyes, or just do enough damage toll they are bled dry and they stop.

That's also programming, that was the point of the milk guys scene. He was getting shot up and not dying because he doesn't really have to die. They have physiology that looks human but with different rules. They never really showed what truely kills a host

Koobion

All part of the narrative. The real show twist was to get the oldest hosts to suffer enough to want to make decisions of their own. Dolores and Maeve being the first two. Every other host is still following narrative.

I love how suffering was an awakening of both the human and host minds in the show :)

Ford telling "Bernard" that he's afraid he'll have to do more suffering yet gave me chills.

Akim

Banned
That's probably the best way to watch it.

I envy your restraint.

Hah it wasn't as much restraint as I watched a majority of it in a weekend. But I agree it was a really interesting way to watch it. I do the opposite with Game of Thrones and read everything and I think sometimes it puts a damper on my enjoyability of the show.

So, Ford is dead, but how can anyone else die without the entire park getting shut down?

And how come nobody knew Bernard was Arnold? Shouldn't there be like media reports on Westworld to the outside world?

Arkeband

Banned
Well yeah. Williams own wife killed herself after being scared of him for 30 years. His daughter didnt care much for him either. He was always a piece of shit inside, Delores just brought it out of him. I think it was cool how it kind of... kind of alludes to this internet white knight gamer who are actually a bunch of piece of shits inside ready to turn on women at the first sight of betrayal.

He brought out his inner McPoyle.

Top Bottom