• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Socreges

Banned
Good ep but too many threads unexplained. We all knew William was MIB so that reveal wasnt much

- who were those native hosts, and where did they take the security dude
- Is Elise dead? Why is Ford so ruthless in killing her she didnt do anything but snoop
- Father with the data in his head. I guess hes out there with the rest of the hosts killing everyone?
- Who was Ford printing?

And I guess Dolores and Maeve were the only 2 hosts that actually seemed to go beyond their loops? Dolores listening to herself and Maeve going after her daughter. I thought Teddy was remembering but it seemed like that was just part of Fords narrative since he just ended up with her exactly where Ford wanted

Security fight was a little weak. Why the hell were they not shooting on sight they are just hosts. So many times they are issuing commands instead of just firing at their heads
Why can't some mystery remain for next season?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Some flaky stuff in this episode but the ending and the explanation of the history of the park was beautiful.

It will take some time to digest but I think this might be my favourite single season of TV, obviously leaves a lot open for season 2 but I think it holds together as it's own story really well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why can't some mystery remain for next season?

Some of those would be odd to hold back and then expect the audience to remember and have a significant reaction to later. Hemsworth getting snatched by the natives, Elise being dead but maybe not 100% confirmed, Dolores' dad. It's odd that they kept getting brought up but the show totally ignored them in the finale. You don't have to resolve those mysteries but it's beyond Chekov's Gun violations, you got Chekhov's Armory going on here. It isn't smart to not even callback to something if you're going to leave it until next season.

If you cut out Hemsworth getting jumped by the natives, what changes about this plot? Nothing. He would still get locked out during the shootout. But instead of the reaction being from a character we're familiar with, it had to come from someone we didn't know. It lessens the impact.

That's sorta why the finale was disappointing to me. There were quite a few things they left on the table after fiddling around with them in the last few episodes.

erawsd

To the extent he's allowed dozens to die in the thirty minutes after and did nothing about it?

Sure, its obvious that he has some affection for Maeve, he had the opportunity to wipe her and chose not to. They make a big deal out of how good she is at manipulation and reading people.

Disappointing finale for me. This show is obsessed with lauding secrets over its viewers, but the secrets aren't that interesting.

There is this veneer of sophistication that it uses as a crutch to hide how silly everything has become. They have Hopkins act the shit out of a speech, insert a historical quote or story, and then call it a day. But the rest of the show feels very phoned in.

You nailed it.

(It being why I'm also extremely dissatisfied with this show).

When I heard about the concept and production team and cast I couldn't have been more excited.

Continue watching week after week, but it's just thin and soulless, nothing grips me.

erawsd

Some of those would be odd to hold back and then expect the audience to remember and have a significant reaction to later. Hemsworth getting snatched by the natives, Elise being dead but maybe not 100% confirmed, Dolores' dad. It's odd that they kept getting brought up but the show totally ignored them in the finale. You don't have to resolve those mysteries but it's beyond Chekov's Gun violations, you got Chekhov's Armory going on here. It isn't smart to not even callback to something if you're going to leave it until next season.

If you cut out Hemsworth getting jumped by the natives, what changes about this plot? Nothing. He would still get locked out during the shootout. But instead of the reaction being from a character we're familiar with, it had to come from someone we didn't know. It lessens the impact.

That's sorta why the finale was disappointing to me. There were quite a few things they left on the table after fiddling around with them in the last few episodes.

I had already forgotten about Hemsworth, it is weird they didnt touch on that at all. I do think the blackmail plot was pretty much resolved with the way things ended, theres no need to blackmail Ford now.

jett

D-Member
That was absolutely fantastic.

I sadly knew an actor of Hopkins' fame and caliber would not last more than a season.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Loved the final and how it tied together so many crucial plot threads and retroactively explained character motives, particularly Ford.

I was under the impression that Maeve was still in a loop though? Doesn't Bernarnold imply she won't leave on the train, and that's exactly what happens? Or did it state in her code that she does in fact leave the park? I missed it.

Violet_0

Banned
One of the post finale ARGs seems to confirm that
Elsie is alive.
everyone can feign surprise now

I wonder if Dolores is going to be presented as a villian next season after her destroy all humans speech to William
I really hope Shogun World is just a tease and that season 2 is still focused in Westworld.
nah, give us Sudoku World I say

the illusion is broken now so the Western setting has played out anyway

Amazing season finale. Everything was great except that sequence where Delos security were chasing Maeve and her gang. Are they like stormtrooper rejects or something? It's also weird how the hosts are still in "practice mode" while the place was in lockdown.

Despite answering many questions, the episode still opened more mysteries. What happened to Logan? The photo Abernathy found was accidentally dropped by William and conveniently ended up near his farm, but why would the photo glitch him up in the first place? MiB is shot in the arm with real bullet wounds. How did the guns all of a sudden can hurt humans? The hosts are not holding P90s.

I really hope Shogun World is just a tease and that season 2 is still focused in Westworld.

KRod-57

Banned
Do we know nessisarily that the hosts have achieved consciousness, and if so at what point does this happen/what triggers this?

Maeve's narrative has me questioning everything, we know her escape is predetermined, and then we see Hector is unable to enter the elevator with her because Maeve didn't make escaping a part of his narrative.. So at what point do the hosts' all gain consciousness?.. do they all gain consciousness, or only a select number of hosts who are now controlling the remaining hosts?

Also, Dolores seems to be obeying a command near the end when she waits till the end of Ford's speech to fire her gun. So why are we sure the revolt isn't just another narrative?

erawsd

Loved the final and how it tied together so many crucial plot threads and retroactively explained character motives, particularly Ford.

I was under the impression that Maeve was still in a loop though? Doesn't Bernarnold imply she won't leave on the train, and that's exactly what happens? Or did it state in her code that she does in fact leave the park? I missed it.

Bernard's exact words are: "Then you are to make your way to the train. Then when you reach the mainland..." which seems to suggests that she was suppose to reach a destination but chose her own path in the end by getting off before it departs.

Amazing season finale. Everything was great except that sequence where Delos security were chasing Maeve and her gang. Are they like stormtrooper rejects or something? It's also weird how the hosts are still in "practice mode" while the place was in lockdown.

That was one of the big issues that I had with this too. Surely the security would know that these hosts can posses super human abilities as well as aimbot like skills. I thought it was stupid that they went in headstrong and were mowed down like punks.

Yo is Armistice gonna run around Samurai World being like a white Baiken?

That was one of the big issues that I had with this too. Surely the security would know that these hosts can posses super human abilities as well as aimbot like skills. I thought it was stupid that they went in headstrong and were mowed down like punks.
I think
they're hosts repurposed as security.

jett

D-Member
Next season is totally going to be about the hosts "building" their Zero One isn't it.

Y2VWx7P.jpg

Violet_0

Banned
So why are we sure the revolt isn't just another narrative?
We know that it is, Ford's final narrative. Maeve's escape was planned (motive unknown), we don't know whether she was supposed to leave the train or not. Dolores killing Ford was planned, but this time it was out of her own free will because she understood what she needed to do. The other hosts achieving consciousness is going to be a big plot point next season

Yo is Armistice gonna run around Samurai World being like a white Baiken?

I think
they're hosts repurposed as security.

Oh, that makes sense. But why would they still have awful aim? Shouldn't they be as quick to draw as the West World hosts?

EDIT: Oooh, maybe their aim was turned down on purpose to help Maeve escape? Maybe this is all part of some weird ARG narrative?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bernard's exact words are: "Then you are to make your way to the train. Then when you reach the mainland..." which seems to suggests that she was suppose to reach a destination but chose her own path in the end by getting off before it departs.

Fuck, thanks. Totally misheard that scene.

So quick question.
I had the impression we are made to believe that Maeve made here first own decision on the train. But I believe it's all part of the narrative. Maeve's elevator was looking like it was going down, instead of up. I feel like she wasn't moving toward the exist, but a set that just looked like the exit.
It's a narrative inside a narrative that Bernard was part of, but to what end?

jett

D-Member
DerZuhälter;226031558 said:
So quick question.
I had the impression we are made to believe that Maeve made here first own decision on the train. But I believe it's all part of the narrative. Maeve's elevator was looking like it was going down, instead of up. I feel like she wasn't moving toward the exist, but a set that just looked like the exit.
It's a narrative inside a narrative that Bernard was part of, but to what end?

There's no more narrative.

edit: I feel somewhat silly to take anything anyone says in this show at face value, but I feel like Ford was actually being honest. And also I don't expect Hopkins to return.

EatChildren

Ford was definitely being honest in my opinion, and it's reflected in his little bits of commentary throughout the season. Arnold's death was really the catalyst for a desire to replicate true life, and he had developed a increasing distaste for people in general. This is a person spurred by two points of interest; one to create a world of authentic fantasy and adventure, and finally one to create life. In the end he was fucked from all angles. His masterpiece was being taken away from him by people he had zero respect for. He loathed the new narratives and visions being introduced to the project. He seemed disillusioned by the predictable behaviour of visiting guests who, as he'd put it, would just follow the same loops. There was really nothing left. It's like he started with a desire to make the park as the most interesting place imaginable for humans, and both it and humans had become predictable and boring to him. He understood Arnold's pursuits as he became driven by the very same thing, and in his mind the only reasonable solution would be to see the ascension of a new sentience and have them take the park as their own. His work is complete and, like an intelligence singularity, it's impossible for him to see beyond. And he loves that.

Pooya

I'm just looking back at the show, I don't see the point of Elsie, Hemsworth's character or even Theresa's death really.

Season 2 is probably a completely different show. I don't know how to feel but it was a decent ending. Without Ford/Hopkins I'm not sure I'll stick around, honestly everything else was more or less mediocre.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Good ep but too many threads unexplained. We all knew William was MIB so that reveal wasnt much

- who were those native hosts, and where did they take the security dude
- Is Elise dead? Why is Ford so ruthless in killing her she didnt do anything but snoop
- Father with the data in his head. I guess hes out there with the rest of the hosts killing everyone?
- Who was Ford printing?

And I guess Dolores and Maeve were the only 2 hosts that actually seemed to go beyond their loops? Dolores listening to herself and Maeve going after her daughter. I thought Teddy was remembering but it seemed like that was just part of Fords narrative since he just ended up with her exactly where Ford wanted

Security fight was a little weak. Why the hell were they not shooting on sight they are just hosts. So many times they are issuing commands instead of just firing at their heads
You never watched LOST I presume. Get ready for this every season end.

Drifters

Ford sent a copy of himself to die so that the board could see his death. It's so genius as he remains in control of the whole narrative of which we'll see unfold in S2. I love the fact that they are now exploring the entire spectrum of the uncanny valley in regards to conscience voice of the hosts.

Also, MIB being a timeline was fucking amazing; And the smile on Williams face upon being shot? What a sadistic bastard he really has become.

Bring on Season 2!

I know not every show can have the budget of GoT. But I was expecting more spectacle. We know what happens in the Westworld movie. So I was expecting the finale to be more in line with that. Instead we get a mild breakout scene against storm troopers. And then a massacre scene cut-short.

I like the MiB reveal. I like Ford's real intentions reveal and subsequent sacrifice. The Maeve stuff isn't totally redeemed. It makes sense that Ford would script her to act out when no one else is watching. But her story still relied on the two butchers not going off script and reporting her. Did Felix fixing that bird trigger her story or what? Still tons of unanswered questions in that regard.

Violet_0

Banned
He made him ride off naked and bound to die to take over his dad's company.

the park is a controlled environment, they don't let their guests die randomly, particularly not potential investors. It's already kind of crazy that they let William take Logan as a prisoner

He made him ride off naked and bound to die to take over his dad's company.

Do we know that for sure? I felt like it was a temporary thing, like to take over the company while Logan's lost and naked. Make Logan miss out on some meetings and make him seem irresponsible. He'll try to blame William. But no one believes him because William plays that innocent and moral character in real life. I feel like there's precautions to not facilitate murder in WW, even by human hands.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Caught up in time for the finale. The characters are pretty bland. I don't mind non-linear storytelling but it's used here purely for fakeouts. Nobody knowing what Arnold looked like is stupid. Ed Harris wasting 30 years looking for 'the maze' in a game where he has invincibility is stupid. Dolores might be the most bland character I've ever seen in a TV show.

The corporate espionage plot was incredibly boring. I don't know what else to say about it beyond that.. Just... yeesh.

Next season I guess is poised to have more of a survival-horror type vibe akin to the movie but there's nobody in the park I care about in the slightest. I'll give it a couple of episodes into S2 but I think I'm probably going to bail unless there is a dramatic turnaround.

And I love those Radiohead songs as much as anyone, but it just comes off as awfully pretentious here. For something that clearly is meant to be high-concept science fiction, it really didn't seem to have much to say in Season 1.

Very disappointing from top to bottom.

Epcott

Hmm, just what did happen to Stubbs. I wonder if he shows up next season... either he had an off screen scalping, or he's living it up, in a Dances With Robitic Wolves kind of way.

Caught up in time for the finale. The characters are pretty bland.

Really? What characters in narrative are not bland to you?

holygeesus

Banned
And I love those Radiohead songs as much as anyone, but it just comes off as awfully pretentious here. For something that clearly is meant to be high-concept science fiction, it really didn't seem to have much to say in Season 1.

Very disappointing from top to bottom.

Not much to say? I think you need to watch it again.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Really? What characters in narrative are not bland to you?

Well, for example, while treading the same ground, the characters in Ex Machina were all far more interesting, had more sensible motivations and were just better realized in general than anyone in Westworld. And part of what I like about the teleivsion format is I get to dig deeper into the characters than I would in a movie.

ISee

Do we know that for sure? I felt like it was a temporary thing, like to take over the company while Logan's lost and naked. Make Logan miss out on some meetings and make him seem irresponsible. He'll try to blame William. But no one believes him because William plays that innocent and moral character in real life. I feel like there's precautions to not facilitate murder in WW, even by human hands.

I'm pretty sure. The company is lead by logans (and williams future wifes) father. No way the father would give controlle over the company to William over Logan after his own death, if logan was still alive.
Also a human can't survive for longer then three days without water, in a hot environment probably even less. So William only has ~three days to convince the father that logan doesn't deserve a place in the company. Hardly enough time, especially when a rescue company can confirm that logan was naked, left alone, helpless and bound (something he could not have done to himself).

No logan let William die, because he needs to take controlled over the company to call the shots in the future. The only way to do so is to marry into the family and to get rid of logan forever.

And this still doesn't make 100% sense because why wasn't the park security able to find logan? They must've been very uppset after noticing that the son of a very wealthy investor gone missing.

It's a plot hole. One way or the other.

Elandyll

Banned
I enjoyed the season finale, mostly.
Wood and Hopkins were definite standouts, and it was good to see some mysteries finally solved, even if the big reveal fell flat on its face after months of having guessed it, at least for me.

I also have to say I would have a lot more respect for the show if it didn't use a completely artificial trick with editing and splicing timelines to make the show appear more complex than it really is.

I get the parallel between the maze, Dolores' mind/ memories and having to sort through all that as viewers, but the result is a lot of unneeded confusion frankly.

Still, WW S1 kept me entertained, so I'll be on board for S2.

Top Bottom