• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

KahooTs

Did people catch someone say that if you want to get into the real fucked up shit you go see Teddy?

I wonder if when these hosts wake up if they'll hold grudges against the other hosts.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
i'm rewatching ep2 and something's not sitting right with me about the William = MiB theory. in the scene where he and Logan first come to the town and enter the saloon, the camera pans to Delores and she stares at her reflection in a window really intently like she's going through the weird shit she's going through in the supposed present day. if we subscribe to the theory and these scenes are taking place 30 years prior, how do we explain that?

Even though I feel William might be a red herring, I think that can be explained as an early malfunction. The show might be throwing a whole bunch of curve balls.

Makai

Did people catch someone say that if you want to get into the real fucked up shit you go see Teddy?

I wonder if when these hosts wake up if they'll hold grudges against the other hosts.
What was weird about that is they said they would use him for target practice and he didn't flinch.

marzlapin

The milk thing struck me as weird but maybe it's a subconscious memory of that liquid all the hosts are made of.

I also wonder if, in the case the hosts successfully break away from humans and establish their own society, would they ultimately feel unfulfilled since the literal meaning of their lives is to entertain humanity?

God I love this show so much. I'm such a sucker for robots with feelings.

http://i.imgur.com/4OOhl3O.jpg

Something I made in regards to the
William being the Man in Black
theory. Linked it instead of posting it directly in-case anyone on mobile wanted to avoid it. Wanted to gif it, but didn't know how.

Interesting but that event - the can falling on the ground - happens every day, doesn't it? So any day someone could pick it up.

But his buddy does say, "You'll be begging me to never leave" and "everyone gets seduced" and all that.

Makai

The milk thing struck me as weird but maybe it's a subconscious memory of that liquid all the hosts are made of.

I also wonder if, in the case the hosts successfully break away from humans and establish their own society, would they ultimately feel unfulfilled since the literal meaning of their lives is to entertain humanity?

God I love this show so much. I'm such a sucker for robots with feelings.
I'm pretty sure the Greeks believed something similar and were still mostly cool with it.

New posters
westworld-circuit-poster-1.jpg
westworld-circuit-poster-2.jpg

Dany

Banned
The Ed Harris plot isnt exciting nor alluring to watch. There's no consequence and him rambling about a deeper level of the game is Corny. Gosh

Did love everything regarding the prostitute though, so many questions!!

PepperedHam

The Ed Harris plot isnt exciting nor alluring to watch. There's no consequence and him rambling about a deeper level of the game is Corny. Gosh

No consequence? I'd say his adventures are part of the reason some of the robots have started to malfunction. What do you mean by no consequence exactly?

hydruxo

Huh, I felt the opposite. His scenes are really intriguing and I'm enjoying the
mystery of figuring out what the maze actually is.

UberLevi

Yeah, I'm the opposite of you. Ed Harris steals the show for me and every time he comes on screen I'm super hyped.

bounchfx

He's been in how many pointless shootouts? 3 I think or 4.

what makes them pointless? does he have to die for there to be a point?
the first one showed us that he couldn't be hurt by them. another he was saving/rescuing someone, and the latest one he was trying to protect himself while questioning about the maze. there was story progression tied to each

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if it was mentioned. In the first episode when Harris walks into the saloon he turns away the prostitute mid sentence with a gesture similar to Hopkins in episode two. Could be coincidence.

otapnam

Not sure if it was mentioned. In the first episode when Harris walks into the saloon he turns away the prostitute mid sentence with a gesture similar to Hopkins in episode two. Could be coincidence.

The security dude said this guest can do whatever he wants.

So it's definitely known he's VIP or something

RexNovis

Banned
I feel like the only person on earth who is not digging this show at all. I've watched both episodes now and they do absolutely nothing for me. It feels like LOST all over again (another show that was a public phenomenon that I didn't enjoy in the least).

I found the use of musical covers in the first episode to be cheesy and totally immersion breaking and I am glad that this was not a thing in episode 2 but it still felt pedestrian. I feel like they're ramping up the stakes way too fast. There are so many characters that just aren't established at all yet so what should be shocking and riveting ends up falling totally flat for me as I haven't really developed the kind of connection to any of these character that such things depend upon for impact.

It also kind of feels like they are just throwing crazy out there to see what sticks. While there are multiple divergent narratives going on they seem so loosely connected they fail to capture my attention/imagination in a way that I feel they were meant to.

All said I find myself incredibly disappointed after the first two episodes.

Ploid 3.0

As a person that haven't seen the movie, I was thinking this had to be some type of VR, but now it seems like it's not. So the world (planet?) is in good shape, and this is some expensive theme park that they have to clean up, and put everything back in place each visit cycle. For the amount of newcomers, the tickets must cost a fortune and then another fortune. If the world was a mess I could see why people would want to go to this virtual world, but since it's not virtual the world has to be in a good enough shape for these locations to exist. So it's just a period, scifi, and whatever the third world is theme park that have androids that you can abuse, talk to, or take quests from (which people seem to stop doing).

If technology is this far along I'd imagine VR, computer AI, and videogames would fulfill a lot of the experiences these android filled worlds could do at a fraction of the cost, and to a ton more customers. I hope they show off what life is like outside of the company. Maybe show the guy that showed up in season 2 at his home as he think about reasons for returning, and if selling his house would cover the costs.

Moonkid

Those posters are great, especially the one on the left. It's clever because it evokes the conventional robot/android figure when their equivalent in this show is anything but.

Da-Kid

It would fit the video game theme given Assassin's Creed. But it's clearly not given that they have a staff writer and we see the same people in different roles and different people in the same roles.
That's true, but that doesn't mean one personality can't fit in different scenario. They're programmed to follow storylines with limited ability to improvise whenever something goes off key. Now the show is implying
that these memories are just from different roles they took which may be the case.

But I find it strange how that lady analyzing one of them said
"Could you imagine what will happen if they remembered what we do to them?"
she's basically acknowledging they are in some capacity,
sentient
. And she doesn't say it as if it's something programmed to be perceived, more like it's something they inherently can do and obvious cannot be bypassed unless their memories are wiped. Because free will cannot be programmed out of human DNA, even when construction into data.

I feel like the only person on earth who is not digging this show at all. I've watched both episodes now and they do absolutely nothing for me. It feels like LOST all over again (another show that was a public phenomenon that I didn't enjoy in the least).

I found the use of musical covers in the first episode to be cheesy and totally immersion breaking and I am glad that this was not a thing in episode 2 but it still felt pedestrian. I feel like they're ramping up the stakes way too fast. There are so many characters that just aren't established at all yet so what should be shocking and riveting ends up falling totally flat for me as I haven't really developed the kind of connection to any of these character that such things depend upon for impact.
But none of the endings were particularly shocking or character driven

The first show was more about the general nature of the AI (evolved to the point of lying and hurting living things) and whatever the next plan for the park is. Sure the first ending was about Dolores, but it told us more about the AI's sentience than some major shocking character reveal

~Kinggi~

Banned
I really love the show. I feel like beyond the wonderful production and high-concept ideas they are toying with stuff that gives them a lot of depth as far as characters and story goes. And the actors they have on board are amazing. The thing im uncertain of is what type of scope they are looking at. To have a 5 season plan already is good to hear but still uncertain so early.

bounchfx

I really love the show. I feel like beyond the wonderful production and high-concept ideas they are toying with stuff that gives them a lot of depth as far as characters and story goes. And the actors they have on board are amazing. The thing im uncertain of is what type of scope they are looking at. To have a 5 season plan already is good to hear but still uncertain so early.

I'm happy to hear there's 5 planned but a part of me hopes that it doesn't extend much longer than that. If they can pull it off and keep it super good, then by all means continue. I would just rather it end then watch it become bland and meandering

marzlapin

I don't know if this needs spoilering but I'm going to do it anyway.

The more I think about the theory that the Man in Black
is William
, the more I like it.
MIB has a really cynical, cavalier attitude towards the hosts and the park in general that seems to come from some kind of deeply personal beef. I wonder if the "birth" he mentioned wasn't the moment where he let loose and immersed himself, but the moment when the illusion broke for him. Like maybe the moment he realized Dolores could never actually love anyone and he felt like the biggest idiot in the universe. Heartbreak and a deep resentment stemming from embarrassment are very plausible motivations for the type of behavior MIB exhibits. His interactions with Dolores have the tone of an abusive ex or something.

Makai

is William
, the more I like it.
MIB has a really cynical, cavalier attitude towards the hosts and the park in general that seems to come from some kind of deeply personal beef. I wonder if the "birth" he mentioned wasn't the moment where he let loose and immersed himself, but the moment when the illusion broke for him. Like maybe the moment he realized Dolores could never actually love anyone and he felt like the biggest idiot in the universe. Heartbreak and a deep resentment stemming from embarrassment are very plausible motivations for the type of behavior MIB exhibits. His interactions with Dolores have the tone of an abusive ex or something.
Nah, he's just satisfying the win conditions for each quest.

jfkgoblue

I give up on following this thread closely, you guys talk about this show A LOT. :p

The William=MiB theory is very interesting and something I did not even think about while watching. This is getting to Uncharted fans level of obsession though, like the Westworld logo differences and finding it in cold storage lol.
\W/

Anyone else see Bart Simpson with his hands in the air?

I DO NOW

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't subscribe to William = MiB just yet. Right after he interacts with Dolores, Dolores looks at her reflection and shows signs of remembering stuff. This wouldn't have happened 30 years ago.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The parallels with William and the MiB may be intentional, but metaphorical. Perhaps William's idealism is meant to suggest what the MiB was once like. And the difference between the two shows how hardened the MiB is in his cynicism.

Wait, what if Teddy is the man in black?!?! Like Agent Smith-type shit getting out of The Matrix.

stahp

Man in Black is human and he definitely always was. "Who he is" is definitely a relevant and open question, but "what he is" is locked down. Anything pertaining to him being a host or former host makes no sense to anything.

is William
, the more I like it.

I'm going to guess one of the hosts kills his friend and wounds him. Thus in his settlement with the park, he gets a free pass. That's why they are letting him get away with so much crap.

Now for why he totally changes, who knows. Maybe he does develop feelings for them. Thus why he would take a pass in the first place. I wouldn't want to go back there if the above theory comes about.

stahp

Man in Black is human and he definitely always was. "Who he is" is definitely a relevant and open question, but "what he is" is locked down. Anything pertaining to him being a host or former host makes no sense to anything.

Yeah you're probably right.
Well, someone we don't expect is going to end up being either real or an android (i hope).

Platy

I'm going to guess one of the hosts kills his friend and wounds him. Thus in his settlement with the park, he gets a free pass. That's why they are letting him get away with so much crap.

Now for why he totally changes, who knows. Maybe he does develop feelings for them. Thus why he would take a pass in the first place. I wouldn't want to go back there if the above theory comes about.

So HE is
the one from 30 years ago !

http://i.imgur.com/4OOhl3O.jpg

Something I made in regards to the
William being the Man in Black
theory. Linked it instead of posting it directly in-case anyone on mobile wanted to avoid it. Wanted to gif it, but didn't know how.

No, this thing is bull, no offense intended (I know writing it like this makes people think it's personal to them, but it's not, it's just at the interpretation of the editing and storytelling).

The reason is simple: the editing makes zero effort to make any kind of claim that such a thing is happening, Dolores has an event with the trigger phrase within the same scene, the technology shown in the arrival of White Hat is consistent with that in MiB's scenes so there is no reason to suspect a time difference at all, and furthermore adding such a ridiculous jump in interpretation would so needlessly overcomplicate the already not-directly told narrative that it would get the show cancelled in about two seconds flat. It would just be another LOST and nobody wants that. The way Nolan described it, is the white hat / black hat is just something taken from video games, where choices tend to be digital as well (which sucks), and it's just a visual token for what kind of character -or man- these guests choose to be or play. MiB: villain, Unknown: hero. That's all.

Seriously, good storytelling is holding back on crazy stuff and keeping things simple and direct. If we have to ask what it means, it doesn't (quote from Armond White).

Furthermore, while the decision to tell the story through the hosts is appreciated in creating understanding and empathy, it does lead to -predictable- problems when we are asked to play for both Team Bot as well as Team Human in the form of Bernard, Ford, and other staffers. Iceman has made an analysis on it, and while I think the sequence stuff is kind of overdoing it (because no real movie actually works like that, even if most screenwriting books tell you that they do. Theory versus praxis) , I am forced to agree with him on the lack of properly defined protagonists. This is what happens when you watch someone play a video game without commentary or otherwise a human hook for the video. It becomes random, meaningless, devoid on real interest other than the question what the fuck it is you're looking at. As Iceman tried to put it: due to the lack of clear protagonists, the show is completely dependent on the appeal of its mystery. And the moment that either fails by reveal (which I want) or bullshitting (which is LOST, which I don't want), the show will deflate like a balloon, unless by that time they have subtly restructured the show towards having proper protagonists: Dolores (which is at least one), MiB, Ford, Bernard. Which are also the highest billed and best known actors (so is the black madam, but she appears to be a minor character in the pilot, with the second episode having a plot for her, so I don't know if she's a 'top billed' or not), so they are probably supposed to be the protagonists and antagonists (to each other), but the way the narrative is structured make that unclear.

FLEABttn

Banned
"I know you think you have a handle on what this is going to be. Guns and tits and all that. Mindless shit that I usually enjoy. You have no idea."

Meta-commentary?

-griffy-

Banned
"I know you think you have a handle on what this is going to be. Guns and tits and all that. Mindless shit that I usually enjoy. You have no idea."

Meta-commentary?

Also one of the first lines uttered in the series is something like "It cost a fortune, it better be good."

Jimmi Simpson is straight up an actor that Jonathan Nolan trusts in. He was also in Person of Interest and frequented 2 times, once on Season 5 (final season, filmed before Westworld.. not surprising am I rite?)

Which is cool, he's great.

Oh yeah that's right he was in PoI :)

The actors on this show are incredible. The way they change their performance based on upgrades/modifications. Super level immersion.

Yeah.

UberLevi

the editing makes zero effort to make any kind of claim that such a thing is happening
Well William and The Man in Black both have a scene with Dolores that runs parallel to one another. Yes, I am aware that her dropping the can is a scripted event and that guests are intended to pick it up for her but it could also be showing Man in Black's first interaction with Dolores as well. If a misleading timeline is the twist they're going for, it would make sense for the similarities to not run too deep just from Episode 2. There could be more hints to this down the road.

Dolores has an event with the trigger phrase within the same scene, the technology shown in the arrival of White Hat is consistent with that in MiB's scenes

Her "event with the trigger phrase" when she's staring into her reflection could be an example of what Ford was saying about the old hosts malfunctioning back in the day, freezing up and/or repeating themselves. This would prove that the technology is not in fact consistent.

so there is no reason to suspect a time difference at all

An earlier post did an observation of the Westworld logos portrayed in William's scenes and found that it matches the logo found on the walls in Cold Storage (an older part of the facility), where as later in the episode when Sizemore is giving his presentation on Odyssey on Red River we can clearly see that the logo in the background does not match the one shown when William is visiting Westworld.

furthermore adding such a ridiculous jump in interpretation would so needlessly overcomplicate the already not-directly told narrative that it would get the show cancelled in about two seconds flat.

I feel like portraying the story as William's narrative being the origin story for Man in Black makes things less complicated and actually streamlines the storyline more-so than having him be a separate character and then having to add Man in Black's actual origin story in down the road, adding to the number of things people are gonna need to keep up with. Plus, this is high concept, philosophical sci-fi anyways so I think you underestimate the target audience's ability to follow the plot. Game of Thrones got a huge following and early in the show it's not the easiest thing to remember names, backstory, and character connections. Plus, I feel like having all of these intentionally disjointed stories weave into each other and achieve an over-arching plotline is one of their intents.

We'll just have to see where they take the narrative. Could go in any direction, honestly. Game of Thrones threw a big curveball at the end of their first season and that kinda informed the plot direction for a good while, so who knows what we'll be looking at in terms of endgame when this season is wrapped up.

Top Bottom