• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

kris.

Banned
why the hell did i watch the promo for ep3? hype cannot be contained. plus with neil marshall directing ughhhh. this show's got its claws in me.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The actors on this show are incredible. The way they change their performance based on upgrades/modifications. Super level immersion.

turtle553

Nope, not that I know of. I need to rematch episode 2 but I think the only known host they interact with is Dolores, and she's the oldest host still running, so they could definitely be 30 years in the past or whenever. I guess if it turns out true, one of them is likely Ed Harris.

Along with that, the first quest option was different than in the pilot. Instead of the sheriff looking for the bandit, it was a bunch of soldiers recruiting.

duckroll

Along with that, the first quest option was different than in the pilot. Instead of the sheriff looking for the bandit, it was a bunch of soldiers recruiting.

Unfortunately that doesn't tell us much, because last week they accelerated the bandit event and ended it. So it would have been a different quest either way. :(

kris.

Banned
clementine's there. the prostitute that works for maeve. she tries to solicit william's friend while they're walking past the saloon but gets denied.

Could be nothing and probably already pointed out, but Ed Harris mentions how he was born there in a sense, and on the train McPoyle's friend talks about how people find out who they really are at the park and he can't wait to see who William really is.

Can't believe they showed what happened to the hosts after the are gunned down by the guests. The actors in this show are very good at acting lifeless.

Corpekata

Banned
I posted a while ago thinking we were seeing a hidden flashback episode. I'm not 100 percent on board with William being the MiB simply because physically it's a hard transition to see (you don't just grow a jawline like Ed Harris, though maybe in this future you can) but it is what I thought when first thinking when thinking on the idea.

I do think it's most certainly not the other guy though, Ben Barnes. That character's pretty much already a meta gamer and it would be weird to tell the tale of him going from that to MiB in 30 years. I think if they were setting out to tell his tale they'd be setting up a character that seems normal or sympathetic like Jimmi Simpson's character is.

kris.

Banned
She was always there, no? They just wrote her to take over for Maeve.

i mean when William is there. Maeve's being tinkered with during that bit in the episode but that could be some clever editing. could be that Maeve wasn't the madam at that point in time if this took place 30 years prior. i dunno.

Burt

Can't believe they showed what happened to the hosts after the are gunned down by the guests. The actors in this show are very good at acting lifeless.

And they're all good actors so I can't even make the cheap joke about it being easy for them to act like lifeless robo-dolls

Palmer_v1

Damn, I was hoping Season 5 would be about one specific storyline, and we get to see it from the perspective of each Host/Guest/Employee, but there's a twist at the end when the douchey guy ends up with Dolores anyway and Teddy is killed off screen.

duckroll

Could be nothing and probably already pointed out, but Ed Harris mentions how he was born there in a sense, and on the train McPoyle's friend talks about how people find out who they really are at the park and he can't wait to see who William really is.

But the guests don't need to find out who they really are. They already know who they are. They want to see a glimpse of who they could be!

bounchfx

maybe this was mentioned already, but on my second watch of the 2nd episode I got heavy vibes that mcpoyle and his friend are going to be enemies in the future. unless character development gives that dude more empathy he's already on the path to be a psycho

But the guests don't need to find out who they really are. They already know who they are. They want to see a glimpse of who they could be!

I hope this all ends in a wrestling match between Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins over the true experience the park brings.

maybe this was mentioned already, but on my second watch of the 2nd episode I got heavy vibes that mcpoyle and his friend are going to be enemies in the future. unless character development gives that dude more empathy he's already on the path to be a psycho

Yeah Mcpoyle doesn't really care for the guy much. I think he may be Williams's girlfriend or whatever's brother. Maybe this is an extended bachelor party.

Sou Da

There's no way they can get 5 seasons out of "robots slowly gaining awareness of their circumstances in the park", but if they don't allow themselves to be constrained to that they could take it in who knows how many exciting directions.

The comparison above to Supernatural is a good one

So Romeworld?

- Esquire interview with Jimmi Simpson
- HitFix: The Effects Team Of ‘Westworld’ Reveals What It Takes To Create A Host
“The idea is that you have a skeleton. This muscle tissue gets threaded onto the skeleton, and then the skeleton and muscle tissue move over to this bath.” Westworld Makeup Department Head Christien Tinsley says, speaking of the host assembly line. “The concept behind it was the body gets dipped into this sort of protein liquid that attaches itself to the muscle tissue. That then builds the tissue around the body. You have those flashes of light in the back which is this UV ray concept.”

As to what the process is called? VFX Supervisor Jay Worth clarifies the milky substance is colloquially known as “The skin dip.” Which is where things start to get interesting.

While in the real world, Tinsley’s team creates a silicon dummy to fit inside the host mold, he explains that “n the story world, it's a biological material. I don't want to start getting into the timeline as far as when this story takes place, but you know we have to assume technology can create something that's so believable and so realistic. In some ways, we're right in that world now. Biological and 3D growing and everything like that is very real, it just hasn't caught up to the speed of what we see in this story.”

- Slashfilm: 10 Questions From “Chestnut”
- NY Mag: How Realistic Is Westworld? We Asked a Futurist
- NY Mag: The Best Westworld Fan Theories So Far
- IGN: Who is the Maze Meant For?

duckroll

There's no way they can get 5 seasons out of "robots slowly gaining awareness of their circumstances in the park", but if they don't allow themselves to be constrained to that they could take it in who knows how many exciting directions.

That's not what the show is about. It's going to move much faster than that and probably be much more ambitious.

Here's what Nolan says about the big picture: "But one of the exciting things here is being able to commit upfront to a big, big, big story. Our story is a really big one. It’s the story of the origin of a new species on this planet, and being able to tell that in chapters and commit to aggressive moves season-by-season that propel that story upwards and outwards and inwards."

That's not what the show is about. It's going to move much faster than that and probably be much more ambitious.

Here's what Nolan says about the big picture: "But one of the exciting things here is being able to commit upfront to a big, big, big story. Our story is a really big one. It’s the story of the origin of a new species on this planet, and being able to tell that in chapters and commit to aggressive moves season-by-season that propel that story upwards and outwards and inwards."
"the origin of a new species"

...and the end of another?

Neoweee

The seasonal progression is going to rapidly expand like Fringe, Lost, and Person of Interest did. Each of their seasons increased the scope of the show to tell a much larger story.

Epcott

Finished watching the 73' film and watching episode 2 again. I think William is
MIB via a flashback. Something probably happens which makes him MIB, his friend probably dies much like the old film. It shows him meet Deloris for the first time. Because he's a survivor I guess he gets a lifetime pass.

That's my theory.

Back to the show.

Nothus

Only just watched the first ep so not going to read the thread, but I loved it! Easily one of my favourite pilots I've ever seen.

But is anyone else put off by the actress who plays Theresa Cullen? She's the woman in charge of park security. Man her acting just seems really off to me, almost to the point of ruining the show. She's so wooden in her delivery and there's practically no emotion on her face at all - it's so jarring compared to everyone else in the show who are doing a great job.

Makai

Only just watched the first ep so not going to read the thread, but I loved it! Easily one of my favourite pilots I've ever seen.

But is anyone else put off by the actress who plays Theresa Cullen? She's the woman in charge of park security. Man her acting just seems really off to me, almost to the point of ruining the show. She's so wooden in her delivery and there's practically no emotion on her face at all - it's so jarring compared to everyone else in the show who are doing a great job.
Foreshadowing

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Their bodies essentially being, well, human bodies is both fantastically creepy and completely fitting. What I'm very curious about is what their minds are housed in. Is it literally a computer inside their skull? or do they have organic brains as well? We don't get to see inside the guy who gets scalped in ep 1 right?

kris.

Banned
so is Person of Interest a solid show? does it have a definitive ending that doesn't disappoint? basically should i watch it?

Moff

That wouldn't happen. They would never program anyone in the park with the ability to kill people. They might have sedatives to remove people that cause too big problems, but the park would get locked immediately if there was a guard robot killing a guest on purpose.

but I'm not talking about park hosts, I am talking about the staff in the control center

and we already know there is something going on with the higher ups, something that's about to happen, to change, and that they are using/testing the robots for another purpose, according to the dialogue between the boss lady and the writer guy.
soldiers maybe?

it wouldn't be that far off if one of them was a robot with more liberties. besides, dolores already killed a fly

PolishQ

Their bodies essentially being, well, human bodies is both fantastically creepy and completely fitting. What I'm very curious about is what their minds are housed in. Is it literally a computer inside their skull? or do they have organic brains as well? We don't get to see inside the guy who gets scalped in ep 1 right?

Another thing I'm wondering, does each host have multiple bodies? It would make the park operations more efficient if when a body receives significant damage, they can move the host's brain (or even just the code) to a duplicate body while the damaged one is repaired.

The alternative is that the park staff is somehow able to seamlessly repair body damage (using some kind of surgical method, judging by the MRSA scene) in a matter of hours.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
so is Person of Interest a solid show? does it have a definitive ending that doesn't disappoint? basically should i watch it?
It's a very solid show with some of the best episodes of TV ever and some great underlying concepts. Unfortunately, it's held back a bit by the budget/content restrictions and episodic structure of being a network TV show; I can only imagine how incredible it could have been as an HBO series.

The ending is good considering the limitations the creators were under, but the time, format, and budget constraints definitely hurt it. I'd still recommend the show; just be prepared for a heavily episodic (rather than serialized) first couple of seasons, and a disappointing (but still good) ending season.

-griffy-

Banned

Wouldn't be surprised if the actual "Westworld" theme park setting is like two seasons max before it branches out entirely to the real world as the hosts are integrated as new citizens, which then makes the real world the "wild west" for this new recognized life form to explore.

Makai

I just watched Futureworld, the sequel to the movie. Pretty shitty, but also a hint to where the series could go. Delos replaces all of its staff with robots, including its president. Then, it starts making robotic clones of guests in a world domination plot. The clones murder their originals and pose as themselves in the real world. They start with journalists to brew good press after the Jurassic Park-esque disaster of the first film.

...which I feel like they've already done because Will's friend and the saloon robber look and act so damn similar/ly. Although this must be a coincidence because they have different actors, but even they look extremely close.

a3bfb51f76f728da6228eeb17326be95.jpg

rodrigo_santoro-228845.jpg

kris.

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/4OOhl3O.jpg

Something I made in regards to the
William being the Man in Black
theory. Linked it instead of posting it directly in-case anyone on mobile wanted to avoid it. Wanted to gif it, but didn't know how.

yea i'm a believer at this point.
if it is the case, it'll be interesting to watch how his transformation to the MiB happens.

It's a very solid show with some of the best episodes of TV ever and some great underlying concepts. Unfortunately, it's held back a bit by the budget/content restrictions and episodic structure of being a network TV show; I can only imagine how incredible it could have been as an HBO series.

The ending is good considering the limitations the creators were under, but the time, format, and budget constraints definitely hurt it. I'd still recommend the show; just be prepared for a heavily episodic (rather than serialized) first couple of seasons, and a disappointing (but still good) ending season.

hmm, i'll check it out. it's on netflix and i need something to binge in between episodes of this. thanks!

Helmholtz

http://i.imgur.com/4OOhl3O.jpg

Something I made in regards to the
William being the Man in Black
theory. Linked it instead of posting it directly in-case anyone on mobile wanted to avoid it. Wanted to gif it, but didn't know how.
Oh my god, first I've heard of this theory, I'm convinced already. Wow this is going to be awesome. It never even occurred to me that William's
timeline could be in the past

Top Bottom