• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This show went from mild interest to OH SHIT! It's Birgitte Nyborg Christensen from Borgen!

I hope they use her a lot.

Could be nothing and probably already pointed out, but Ed Harris mentions how he was born there in a sense, and on the train McPoyle's friend talks about how people find out who they really are at the park and he can't wait to see who William really is.
That's all he's ever going to be. It's like he decided to leave Philly for a while.

Hope it's worth the investment.

http://i.imgur.com/4OOhl3O.jpg

Something I made in regards to the
William being the Man in Black
theory. Linked it instead of posting it directly in-case anyone on mobile wanted to avoid it. Wanted to gif it, but didn't know how.

I'm not convinced because the whole theme at the beginning of the episode with William was that Westworld is where you find out who you truly are. Then Dr. Ford subverts that with his speech about how the guests already know who they are. To then reverse it again and say nope Will did find out who he really was would feel thematically inconsistent, but if this twist is going to be way down the line maybe it won't matter. I may be bias as well because I agree with Dr. Ford's philosophy and I really liked the way they flipped that at the end.

I'm not convinced because the whole theme at the beginning of the episode with William was that Westworld is where you find out who you truly are. Then Dr. Ford subverts that with his speech about how the guests already know who they are. To then reverse it again and say nope Will did find out who he really was would feel thematically inconsistent, but if this twist is going to be way down the line maybe it won't matter. I may be bias as well because I agree with Dr. Ford's philosophy and I really liked the way they flipped that at the end.
But The Man In Black subverts that by saying he was born in the park.

Corpekata

Banned

You're missing part of the speech. Ford also suggests it is about them finding out "who they could be" that is said right when William meets Delores, and more than fits thematically.

bounchfx

http://i.imgur.com/4OOhl3O.jpg

Something I made in regards to the
William being the Man in Black
theory. Linked it instead of posting it directly in-case anyone on mobile wanted to avoid it. Wanted to gif it, but didn't know how.

ok wait, let me make sure I understand correctly. Is the idea here that this show also has TIME TRAVEL?

because otherwise, they're both guests as far as we know, which means they're both actual people. what am I missing here? is the suggestion time travel or something else like brain transfer shit

ok wait, let me make sure I understand correctly. Is the idea here that this show also has TIME TRAVEL?

because otherwise, they're both guests as far as we know, which means they're both actual people. what am I missing here? is the suggestion time travel or something else like brain transfer shit
No, not time travel but that the show is taking place at different times (the current plot, and the events that lead to the critical failure 30 years ago)

kris.

Banned

flashbacks breh

CSJ

ok wait, let me make sure I understand correctly. Is the idea here that this show also has ...

No more that the
other scenes are literally in the past, the park has been there that long,
or so some think.
We already know some of these hosts have been around a long, long time.

Corpekata

Banned

The idea is that it's a flashback. The hosts are ageless and have been around for a long time. Delores looked the same and was likely in that same routine for like 50 years, and she's the only element we see him really interact with, and she appears normal.

If we see William interact with her and she's glitching out like before, or if he was in a scene with Thandie Newton's character freaking out, or passed by a member of the staff we know (since they age), it would suggest his story is in the present, but for now it's a possibility we're seeing his origin story of 30 years ago.

No time travel, just the theory that the scenes with William take place 30 years or so before the current show timeline.

But The Man In Black subverts that by saying he was born in the park.

That's what I mean. "Born" would imply he did find out who he was which would go against what Dr. Ford said.

You're missing part of the speech. Ford also suggests it is about them finding out "who they could be" that is said right when William meets Delores, and more than fits thematically.

I got that part. I thought it was more foreshadowing that he was going to be the guest to notice there's something deeper there with the robots because he treats them with respect. And just generally I think he means that good hearted people can have a chance to say save someone's life or something like that in a future where day to day life is pretty boring and being a good person doesn't mean much because most things are out of your control.

Makai

Random prediction.

William's friend fucks his girlfriend/wife. William finds a way to get friend killed in park.
So they take a break and come back to the park, or he knew that ahead of time? I think this season will be a single romp in the park.

What if that kid Ford meets in the desert IS HIS YOUNGER SELF?

Fuck, this is Lost all over again.
Could be, or a beloved sibling that died. I don't see Ford as the kind of person that would recreate himself, but I do see him as someone who might have created this tech for a personal reason

The quote about the fathers saying similar things and them wearing similar outfits implies a connection

Makai

Could be, or a beloved sibling that died. I don't see Ford as the kind of person that would recreate himself, but I do see him as someone who might have created this tech for a personal reason

The quote about the fathers saying similar things and them wearing similar outfits implies a connection
Then why did he say, "one day we may even ressurect the dead" if he had already done it?

If this season is really a current plot and a flashback plot about the critical failure, then the show gets to have its cake and eat it too.

A heady tale about the orign of a synthetic species, and a park disaster if/when the hosts go homicidal

Then why did he say, "one day we may even ressurect the dead" if he had already done it?
Perhaps he feels having an robotic replacement isn't the same as resurrecting the actual person?

Da-Kid

I was thinking the actual Westworld exists in a different time and the people there are based on the actual people that lived there, and the data of their DNA help give their personalities and traits and unexpectedly... memories of their past when they were human.

Saerk

I thought it was his son that had died. He said a quote, and the boy said his father used to say the same thing. Then Ford goes on about how to the creator the magic is only fleeting to him since he knows the truth of every action, so its hard for him to be fooled by the world. Like a programmer of game will see his game differently than someone who can get engrossed in the world. He only sees the programming. He then says goodbye to boy, and he powers down.

I figure he created his son as a robot to attempt to bring back his son, but he is only slightly distracted by him since he knows he is just a creation of his. He wishes he could be fooled like the guests of the park. This may also tie into his earlier statement to saying wishfully hoping for the the human race to be able to resurrect the dead since they have already conquered sickness.

Makai

I was thinking the actual Westworld exists in a different time and the people there are based on the actual people that lived there, and the data of their DNA help give their personalities and traits and unexpectedly... memories of their past when they were human.
It would fit the video game theme given Assassin's Creed. But it's clearly not given that they have a staff writer and we see the same people in different roles and different people in the same roles.

graffix13

Late to the thread (and I haven't watched episode 2 yet), so I apologize if this has already been asked: is this in the same 'continuity' of the movie? Or is this a complete reboot?

It doesn't really matter but would be kind of cool if they were connected.

Kyuur

Late to the thread (and I haven't watched episode 2 yet), so I apologize if this has already been asked: is this in the same 'continuity' of the movie? Or is this a complete reboot?

It doesn't really matter but would be kind of cool if they were connected.

Nothing explicitly said yet I think, but there are several theories on how it is in the same continuity.

Kind of irritating to be honest, coming in here and half of the discussion is around elements of the original movie. I feel like I have an obligation to go back and watch it instead of there just being tiny nods to it. Not sure how interested I am in doing that either. :/

KahooTs

So they take a break and come back to the park, or he knew that ahead of time? I think this season will be a single romp in the park.

Break, his girlfriend/wife is the reason he hasn't embraced the park, why he hasn't been (can't be) born or discovered who he could be there, yet.

Yeah I thought that was what the scene was. He's programmed a young him. Their father's both said the same thing didn't they?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nothing explicitly said yet I think, but there are several theories on how it is in the same continuity.

Kind of irritating to be honest, coming in here and half of the discussion is around elements of the original movie. I feel like I have an obligation to go back and watch it instead of there just being tiny nods to it. Not sure how interested I am in doing that either. :/

I don't think "same continuity" is quite accurate. There's theories that the events of the movie also happened in the TV show, but not that they exist in the same "universe", if that distinction makes sense

So I was wondering about the entrance lady host who was helping William. She mentions to William for him to ask the obvious question if she is real. From her words and actions in the scenes, she is obviously not human, a host. Since she is one of the park's entrance hosts, they get the question often.

But this makes entrance hosts totally unique from regular park hosts. They are hosts aware of the predicament they and their fellow hosts are in. They understand that they are not real, yet continue as if they were. Do they know that they are just used and do they not care about the hosts in the park who are killed everyday? How much do they try to influence how visitors hurt or help hosts in the park? If a visitor kills an entrance host, do they get repaired just as normal park hosts? Do they routinely keep memories day to day unlike park hosts?

It would make sense that their knowledge of their lot in life is way more than park hosts, like Delores' father glitching just from looking at a pic of an unknown world.

So I was wondering about the entrance lady host who was helping William. She mentions to William for him to ask the obvious question if she is real. From her words and actions in the scenes, she is obviously not human, a host. Since she would is one of the park's entrance hosts, they get the question often.

But this makes entrance hosts totally unique from regular park hosts. They are hosts aware of the predicament they and their fellow hosts are in. They understand that they are not real, yet continue as if they were. Do they know that they are just used and do they not care about the hosts in the park who are killed everyday? How much do they try to influence how visitors hurt or help hosts in the park? If a visitor kills an entrance host, do they get repaired just as normal park hosts? Do they routinely keep memories day to day unlike park hosts?

It would make sense that their knowledge of their lot in life is way past Delores' father glitching just from looking at a pic of an unknown world.
I don't think so. You can just program the entrance hosts to act and perceive things differently. They have no need for reveries like the park hosts do.

I don't think so. You can just program the entrance hosts to act and perceive things differently. They have no need for reveries like the park hosts do.

They program them to answer that they are not real, or they know they are not real? Hmm, maybe since her answer was ambiguous ("what do you think"), maybe the programming is for the hosts to assume themselves to be real, but never to state it.

kris.

Banned
i'm rewatching ep2 and something's not sitting right with me about the William = MiB theory. in the scene where he and Logan first come to the town and enter the saloon, the camera pans to Delores and she stares at her reflection in a window really intently like she's going through the weird shit she's going through in the supposed present day. if we subscribe to the theory and these scenes are taking place 30 years prior, how do we explain that?

Makai

i'm rewatching ep2 and something's not sitting right with me about the William = MiB theory. in the scene where he and Logan first come to the town and enter the saloon, the camera pans to Delores and she stares at her reflection in a window really intently like she's going through the weird shit she's going through in the supposed present day. if we subscribe to the theory and these scenes are taking place 30 years prior, how do we explain that?
Red herring. That's part of her animation stalling for someone to take her quest.

Could be intentionally messing with the viewer since it could one of Dolores' memories, so perhaps her growing sentience has become aware of her sense of self when thinking back to past events

Red herring. That's part of her animation stalling for someone to take her quest.
Or that

Santiako

I just finished the episode and was coming in to say about McPoyle beign Ed Harris before he was handsome, but I see that's already been covered in depth.

This show is fantastic so far. The Ed Harris origin episode we'll eventually get will be so great.

I think we just got it :p

Top Bottom