• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

shira

Ok a continuity error in the same episode. Or the company just uses different logos in different places, we have only seen the lobby once. I think it's a total red herring to create wild fan theories.

In fact if you look at the thumbnail for ep2 on HBO go you can clearly see a shelf behind William that looks exactly like the "new" logo.

WdHhGcr.jpg

Sorry for the shit quality but is that enough to end this madness?

jonathan_nolan_christopher_nolan_elon_musk_-_westworld_-_getty_-_h_-_2016.jpg

TIL that's Musk's exwife, also the bar girl from Inception

Makai

But why is it impossible for an old logo to be in the physical setting of the current timeline? It's not a production mistake.

That's what I don't understand. It's literally grasping at nothing.

That or its an intentional red herring to fuel meaningless speculation.

Or there is an alt timeline but with the end of this episode I highly doubt it, and I agree with above post wouldn't really accomplish anything to drive the plot forward.
It would be great because it means we get to see robot revolt ala 1970s movie (William era) and robot ascension as a new life form (MIB era). They can tell two very different stories.

ZOONAMI

It would be great because it means we get to see robot revolt ala 1970s movie (William era) and robot ascension as a new life form (MIB era). They can tell two very different stories.

Sounds like roughly the same story. Especially with Arnold working so hard on consciousness in the past if that's what leads to the critical failure and that's Williams timeline. I fail to see how that's anything more than like a one episode backstory.

Delores stumbling into his camp to me kills this theory but keep believing it if you want to.

MoeDabs

Ed Harris has said his backstory would be explored. Now, that doesn't mean the Flashback/William=MIB is true, but it seems very plausible with everything else.

Makai

Sounds like roughly the same story. Especially with Arnold working so hard on consciousness in the past if that's what leads to the critical failure and that's Williams timeline. I fail to see how that's anything more than like a one episode backstory.

Delores stumbling into his camp to me kills this theory but keep believing it if you want to.
First one is limited to the park and violent. Second one is how they keep going into future seasons - hosts pose as humans in the outside world.

First one is limited to the park and violent. Second one is how they keep going into future seasons - hosts pose as humans in the outside world.
Yes, one is doomed to failure. A Spartacus story of sorts, their budding consciousness snuffed out. The other is a more hopeful rise, and follow the origin of a new species from the park and then beyond

Serpico99

Damn... 40k a day to be in the park. I'm hoping inflation is like +200% in that future lol.

Loving this show so far, because it just a philosophical wet dream. Anthony Hopkins is like a darker John Hammond (Jurassic Park).

TTG

The gang out in the woods that Teddy was going after...those were hosts? Because Teddy's gunshots didn't seem to have an effect on them

I noticed the same thing. My guess is hosts that cannot be killed by other hosts, engineered by Ford. Fits in with the meta theme of the maze, if that's also his doing, and it's a bit of a stretch, but also his "a lie based on a truth" line.

KingKong

There are no hidden twists, come on guys. This is a story about robots evolving, not the MiB being Arnold or on a different timeline or whatever

There are no hidden twists, come on guys. This is a story about robots evolving, not the MiB being Arnold or on a different timeline or whatever

I don't think people are arguing that there are split timelines and crap. Just that the story is not happening chronologically.

FoneBone

The gang out in the woods that Teddy was going after...those were hosts? Because Teddy's gunshots didn't seem to have an effect on them

They've referenced there being horror storylines in the park, so I'd think they'd could be supernatural creatures (in the storyline, I mean; still robots).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So what's up with the stray host getting trapped, coming out of sleep mode, and then bashing his head in with a rock?

Wait...Luke Hemsworth? They have another brother?
The universe knew it needed to prevent Liam from ever being considered the second best Hemsworth.

kai3345

Banned
if ed harris is arnold why would they let him in the park. he's already explicitly stated that he's paying to be there, so it isn't like he snuck in or something

MrMephistoX

Damn... 40k a day to be in the park. I'm hoping inflation is like +200% in that future lol.

Loving this show so far, because it just a philosophical wet dream. Anthony Hopkins is like a darker John Hammond (Jurassic Park).

My thoughts exactly. This show is really good almost surprisingly so but I don't get the "water cooler" sense that it's a massive hit like GOT just yet.

Wasn't that thin milk-drinking bad guy put in cold storage? I think I saw him several times in Dolores's storyline this week. Maybe it was just a similar-looking actor.

Clearly a third timeline. There's always another lighthouse.

The end reveal of his last scene in like the third season is gonna be a shot of him walking away, panning down to a children's book laying in the ground, clearly legible saying 'Berenstein Bears'

Cut to black. Credits roll.

We see a picture of Arnold and then again during the flashback. It's obviously not ed harris. That's not even ambiguous...

forreal, they went to lengths to make a younger looking anthony hopkins. you don't think they would do the same for Ed Harris of all people lol.

another dope episode. Love seeing more of Jeffrey Wright's character being fleshed out now too. Dude did great in here, especially whenever he was reminded of his son.

caliph95

Probably just my shitty memory but did Jonathan Nolan ever did twist in Person of Interest to the level people here are talking about. Except the one win the latest season with Sameen in the later episodes i can't think of any. Plus that one had obvious clues and was a one episode thing.

Probably just my shitty memory but did Jonathan Nolan ever did twist in Person of Interest to the level people here are talking about. Except the one win the latest season with Sameen in the later episodes i can't think of any. Plus that one had obvious clues and was a one episode thing.

too many times in that show tbh. i feel like they did a character swerve every season where somebody was actually someone else.

carlsojo

So what's up with the stray host getting trapped, coming out of sleep mode, and then bashing his head in with a rock?

I thought him bashing his head into a rock was a failsafe to prevent them from examining his brain/memory to determine why he had gone there.

TTG

Wow, amazing episode, i'm full in until the end now.

So the Flashback theory is deader than Teddy right?

Some people here are trying to keep it on life support. I'm more interested in how much of an influence Arnold still has on Westworld. Dolores hears a voice telling her to shoot in the same way Ford describes Arnold implementing.

I thought him bashing his head into a rock was a failsafe to prevent them from examining his brain/memory to determine why he had gone there.

I took it to be an existential crisis, but that's interesting.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Wow, amazing episode, i'm full in until the end now.

So the Flashback theory is deader than Teddy right?
If anything this episode cemented it for me. How else is this explained?

That's the old logo on the coat of the scientists in the flashback sequence.

Dolores' storyline this episode is not chronological, we see her throughout the episode flashing back and forth between past and present. The campfire scene at the end of the episode is a red herring, the show has switched back to Williams past pov and the incident that occurred 30 years ago has started which is why Dolores collapses and convulses when reaching William.

I'm guessing that this park has a pricing tier system in place. The people we saw in the first episode were dressed like settlers and enjoying the park in a more casual way. I could only imagine that they pay less and get less perks. But William and Logan seem to be there playing the roles of good guy and bad guy. They paid premium price to get the full experience of the park. Logan's "40K" comment suggests that he chose the bad guy role to really experience the park in the most careless way possible, as he has been there multiple times. He doesn't like the idea of NPC's wasting his time and taking him on fetch quests and wants to play like a villain. William is there on his first trip and taking a "be a good guy, follow the quests, have fun" approach.

The man in black is there as a villain role too as a way to push the park rules to his favor. But the theory that he is William in the future is definitely looking less likely.

The third episode is showing a lot of potential. I enjoy the mind twists going on.

Aaron

When did we find that out? It would be surprising.
Never. Just a guess of mine. Probably something they'll save for another season if they don't wipe the slate clean. I probably shouldn't have watched Futureworld before this series started. Mainly because it's awful.

This is probably the most pretentious piece of fiction I've ever seen. Which would be forgivable if it wasn't also incredibly dull. Show is a complete disaster.

KHarvey16

Never. Just a guess of mine. Probably something they'll save for another season if they don't wipe the slate clean. I probably shouldn't have watched Futureworld before this series started. Mainly because it's awful.

Ah ok. Yeah it would mean a much bigger "game" then we've been led to believe. AI watching over AI would be a questionable security strategy lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm guessing that this park has a pricing tier system in place. The people we saw in the first episode were dressed like settlers and enjoying the park in a more casual way. I could only imagine that they pay less and get less perks. But William and Logan seem to be there playing the roles of good guy and bad guy. They paid premium price to get the full experience of the park. Logan's "40K" comment suggests that he chose the bad guy role to really experience the park in the most careless way possible, as he has been there multiple times. He doesn't like the idea of NPC's wasting his time and taking him on fetch quests and wants to play like a villain. William is there on his first trip and taking a "be a good guy, follow the quests, have fun" approach.

The man in black is there as a villain role too as a way to push the park rules to his favor. But the theory that he is William in the future is definitely looking less likely.

The third episode is showing a lot of potential. I enjoy the mind twists going on.
40k is the cheap tier going off the arg. Minimum stay is 1 week, max is 4 weeks.

Standard Package Price: $40k/day Every stay at Westworld covers anything you could ever need. Upon entrance to the park, you will have a private consultation in one of our state-of-the-art wardrobe showrooms. It is here where you will choose the two most important elements of your trip: your hat and your weapon. More than a garment, your choice is a code, a statement of purpose while in the park -- and the tool you choose will be the means by which you make your mark in the new world. Choose wisely, but don’t worry – there are plenty of opportunities for upgrades and changes once you’re in the field.

Silver Package Price: $75k/day This isn't your first rodeo here at Westworld. You are ready to bypass standard gameplay in the park and we can help you reach the deeper narratives faster. Whether you are white hat itching to join the bounty hunt of the decade, or black hat looking for more mischievous opportunities in Pariah, the Silver package can equip you with the resources necessary to find those mission-critical elements – and have you pushing yourself in ways you never expected.

Gold Package Price: $200k/day For our more advanced guests. Panning for the hidden gems in Westworld can take time, and our Gold package offers access to secret paths that lead straight to the outer fringes of the park. These narratives are not for the faint of heart – come unprepared, and you may find yourself blinded by the halo of righteousness, or pulled deeper into the allure of darkness. All amenities in the lower tiers are available to you, along with an arsenal of hosts and tools to unlock levels you never knew existed.

40k is the cheap tier going off the arg. Minimum stay is 1 week, max is 4 weeks.

Ah, I assumed their vacation package would be much higher tier. But yeah, the man in black must be in the gold tier.

But wait, after reading that arg, wouldn't William and Logan be under the 75k tier? That seems more like where Logan is at on this trip.

Future

After seeing ford upload that backstory to give teddy purpose, I feel like this furthers the theory that
Bernard might be an advanced host. His backstory is a son dying (that Dolores knew about) and Ford reminded him of it just before he left his office, trying to push the fact that the hosts aren't real. But he cares for them anyway because he is one and secretly relates. Wife convo could be staged by another host

Who knows, but I'm loving that this show is a huge set of mysteries

Top Bottom