• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp |OT| I want you inside me on July 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
My god. It is beautiful. It started off being merely good, but then it just kept escalating. I don't want more. I NEED more.

They should wait another ten years and then film the reunion from after camp.

While there were many great things about the series, truly the most glorious thing was that now we have an origin story for
Higher and Higher.

To the spoiler...
had no idea that was an original song done for the movie till now. Always assumed it was a legit 80s track. Mind blown.

Takuan

I watched the movie shortly after reading about the Netflix series and didn't think all that much of it. I just watched two eps of said series and am liking it more, for whatever reason.

Rudd's dumbface is too good.

Bernbaum

Just watched the movie.

I thought it was stupid.

Then there was the scene where they went into town for one hour. Then the kids consoled the astophysicist for only being an associate professor. Then there was the talent show. Fucking gold. I would have enjoyed this more if I was still studying and stoned, but it still clicked. Gonna rewatch the film one more time before diving into the show.

Just watched the movie.

I thought it was stupid.

Then there was the scene where they went into town for one hour. Then the kids consoled the astophysicist for only being an associate professor. Then there was the talent show. Fucking gold. I would have enjoyed this more if I was still studying and stoned, but it still clicked. Gonna rewatch the film one more time before diving into the show.

The film only gets better on each watch of it.

I used to watch it at least once a month when it came on DVD back in 2002. This revival has been a long time coming for me.

TripOpt55

I finally got to watch a couple episodes of this. Not too impressed so far, but there have been some really great moments sprinkled among these first two episodes. I will probably watch the rest tonight and tomorrow.

megalowho

4 episodes in and really enjoying it. Captures the feel of the movie, cast is having fun and some of the scenes away from camp are great. Hoping for more glass breaking sound effects in the second half.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Just watched the movie.

I thought it was stupid.

I watched it for the first time last night and yeah the scene where they went into the town really won me over. Loved it.

OmegaFax

I never saw the original film and had no idea what this was but clicked on it when the Netflix homepage went up. I'm so glad I did. No idea what was going on but it just kept getting more batshit insane. H. Jon Benjamin cracks me up.

ivysaur12

Banned
Episode 2 spoiler:
The Abby Bernstein reveal is the greatest television moment of the year.

3 eps in. Like but don't love it so far. Some really great moments but everything with Lake Bell is blah. Mikaela Watkins's character is amazing.

Bread

Banned
Episode 4:

Holy crap, the Cure-loving punk in the convenience store with the Falcon was the same actress that played the Cure-loving camper in the original film! How many other campers from the original have cameos, I wonder?

Also, I thought the heavy emphasis on the play auditions kinda brought this episode down.
all 4 of them were the kids in the "indoor kid" group!
that was my fave cameo in the entire show

So here are my thoughts for the show

Better than I expected it to be, and it is definitely on the same level of the movie or even better.
The Showalter/Lake Bell romance sucked, but David Wain was hilarious so it wasn't all bad.
The theater stuff started off bad but turned great once MIB and Cooper started romancing. Also the beginnings of the Rudd/Moreau relationship was good too as expected.
They did a great job hiding the limitations of not having some characters together using "green screen" stuff or the hilarious idea of "DJ Ski Mask". I never noticed despite knowing that they had this issue going in so that is pretty impressive.
Everything having to do with the government/toxic waste plot was incredible. I mean everything. Actually seeing Jim Stanse!? Michael Cera nailing it!? Amazing. Fuck this was so great.
Seeing the "indoor kids" from the original movie as punks in the convenience store who get destroyed by Jon Hamm was perfect, absolutely perfect. Great throw back for the fans.
The build up to "Higher and Higher" being played with everyone singing along made me emotional.
The child actors were hilarious, especially the bully.
The main kid (child coop?) had some hilarious awkward lines
Michaela Watkins killed it, as expected.
Have I mentioned how much I loved this whole thing? Thank you Wain and Sho for giving us a well made sequel to what is probably one of the best and most original comedy movies I have ever seen.

Demmi

Neo Member
Okay, this is proper funny now.

Hope this continues for the last three episodes.

Christopher Meloni should do more comedy.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So here are my thoughts for the show

The Showalter/Lake Bell romance sucked, but David Wain was hilarious so it wasn't all bad.
This story thread had a few redundant bits in it with the
numerous back-and-forths of the relationship, but I enjoyed how they toyed with Lake Bell as someone who did a pilgrimage to Israel and returned wearing their restored Jewish faith/heritage as an affectation, feigning adulthood through superficial worldliness.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well that was amazing. Watched the movie for the first time earlier this year when I first heard about the series coming. Liked it but watched it again after episode 1 for a refresher and found it hilarious. Just finished the series and I need more.

Bread

Banned
This story thread had a few redundant bits in it with the
numerous back-and-forths of the relationship, but I enjoyed how they toyed with Lake Bell as someone who did a pilgrimage to Israel and returned wearing their restored Jewish faith/heritage as an affectation, feigning adulthood through superficial worldliness.
My problem was with
the lack of chemistry between Sho and Bell. I liked her character but their scenes fell flat to me.

Rootbeer

Banned
8 thirty-minute episodes... over so quickly.

It's still a small miracle this even happened. I can see it becoming as much a cult favorite as the original film.

Just finished it. I would say right now it's definitely on par with the movie. Instead talking about all the stuff I did like and fill up a page I'll talk about some stuff I was disappointed with and suprises I had.

1.Coop. Other than the cross dressing moment he didn't really have a lot of funny moments and the stuff with Donna really wasn't that great.
2.Gary and Mckinley. In the movie, them and J.J were often hanging out together and they were Hilarious in the film especially the scenes when Gary was with Gene. In the series, I think Gary was in 3 scenes total. 2 with Gene and 1 at the party. Mckinley didn't really get used that much till near the end with the storyline with Ben, which I thought was pretty good, I just wanted more Mckinley. But yeah, I don't think the crew of J.J, Mckinley, and Gary happen once during this series, which kinda makes me sad (though I guessed it could be explained that they bonded during camp and became good friends later on).
3.Camp Tigerclaw. Like I felt other then the fight they were just there. Didn't really do much and most of there stuff was just eh.

Surprises
1. The origin stories. I thought Mitch, Henry, Gene, Ben & Mckinley's relationship, and Higher and Higher origins were all great and entertaining.
2.The indoor kids cameo was just fantastic.
3. Seeing Eric Ninninger in a comedy again was great. I was huge fan of his on Malcolm in the Middle and its been a while since I've seen him in a comedy role.
4. Most of the new cast was pretty good. I thought Greg and Jim Stanse? (Michael Cera's character) were the two standouts. Shame they both died. I thought Jeff and the bully kid were also pretty great.
So yeah good stuff. If they make another season I would definitely be on board for it.

Hey guys, look! I found the Smartest Guy In The Thread! We can all stop having the wrong opinions about things now! The Smartest Guy In The Thread is here!

wtf are you going on about. You and anyone else can love the show for all i care but i don't like it.

damn what a weird reaction to my post

Sheroking

Michael Ian Black's head is weird. I get aging, gaining weight, etc - but he's not fatter, his head is just twice as wide.

First two eps done. I thought the second was the better of the two.
After
H Jon Benjamin dies holding the can
, I'm guessing it's not gonna end well for
Jason Schwartzman
's character.

Elizabeth Banks. Hatchi mama!

I watched the movie last night before I started with Ep 1. So weird how the women look kinda the same (or only a little older) and most of the men look, really, really old.

Bernbaum

Today I 'binged' on the film by watching it for the first time ever, not liking it until a third of the way through, then enjoying it so much after the humour clicked that I watched it a second time. So many more jokes to pick up on the second run.

Gonna hit the Netflix series tomorrow.

Azzurri

Gold Member
How did they get some of these A listers to film. When the movie came out Rudd and cooper were not nearly as big as stars as they are now.

8 episodes went too fast. That finale was great.
Chris pine
Needs to do more comedy because he steals every scene he's in. Falcon and the cook was just lol.

Greatest reveal in history was Abby thougb

HoJu

thought it was ok. about on par with the movie. the Cooper/little kid subplots didn't amount to anything and weren't funny. it was also disappointing how little Poehler got to do. also there was not enough David Hyde Pierce.

however, it further proves that Christopher Meloni is the king of comedy and should be in everything comedy related from now until forever.

Pejo

I rewatched the movie last night before diving into the first episode. Movie is as great as I remember. The first episode was kinda "meh", but I freaking lost it when Showalter was chasing the kid. I hear from impressions in this thread that it gets better in the future episodes, so I'm excited!

That red-headed bully kid might just be one of the funniest kids I've ever seen in a TV show
pwou69d.gif

however, it further proves that Christopher Meloni is the king of comedy and should be in everything comedy related from now until forever.

Agreed. Freaking love him. His stuff in They Came Together was amazing!

Finished the show and loved it.

I haven't got through all of it yet but imo it doesn't hit the same highs the movie did, and honestly if you look at Wain and Showalter's work post Wet Hot (outside of Stella and Michael and Michael Have Issues) it was sort of a flash in the pan deal.
Huh? I think Wain has done some great stuff. Role Models was very clever.

Anyway, finally got my Netflix up. Looking forward to checking the show out tomorrow.

Ryaaan14

Banned
OMG VICTOR

U DID AWESOME VICTOR

VICTOR DO U THINK HE KNEW IT WAS U VICTOR

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😃😂😃😃

VICTOR DO U THINK HE KNEW IT WAS U VICTOR

💀💀💀💀💀💀💀😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂💀💀💀

🗿

Huh? I think Wain has done some great stuff. Role Models was very clever.

Anyway, finally got my Netflix up. Looking forward to checking the show out tomorrow.

And Wainy Days is incredible too. A lot of projects The State members have gotten involved with have been great. Burning Love, Children's Hospital, Reno 911 (or atleast the first few seasons), Party Down, Another Period, etc.. All of those people are comedic geniuses for the State. I'm pretty much guaranteed to enjoy them in whatever role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom