• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp |OT| I want you inside me on July 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny after watching the Season and never having watched the movie I wen't back to it. I actually didn't like the movie that much, especially compared to the tv show, just felt like they bumped it up to 10 and made it way more goofy and funny. Not to say the movie was bad, it was just more subtle while the show felt like a parody homage to all things 80s.

Yeah, same for me. We watched the movie immediately after the show and didn't enjoy it as much. Quite the mindfuck to watch them in that order, though.

Just finished.

It's a lot better than the movie, which I've never been crazy about. The zaniness had a a bit more room to breathe.

Not amazing by any means, but a lot of fun. Lindsay's hilariously dumb storyline was probably my favorite part.

The real stinker was probably the
Showalter/Lake Bell/Wain love triangle
. Other than the running gag of making
Coop look as fat and goofy as possible (that hat, lol)
, it just wasn't very funny.

lawnchair

Banned
got a couple of episodes to go, not loving it so far. doesn't feel as absurdly funny to me as the movie did. also at times seems quite un-funny. i'm glad it got made at all, but ... definitely doesn't stand up to the original imo.

LaneDS

I thought the movie was leagues ahead of the show in every possible way.

After four episodes, I agree with you. Still enjoying it but a lot of the humor has fallen flat for me with the occasional bit that gets a laugh out of me.

Still, glad it exists and am hopeful for the remainder of the episodes.

Kind of a bummer that
Susie wasn't in the last episode.

Obviously they had to accommodate for people's schedules, but it was a pretty conspicuous absence.

border

what the hell

he was delightful

him and Michaela Watkins fuckin killed it

What was funny about Michael Cera? I guess I totally missed it.

The only thing that amused me about him was that he's the only one in the entire series who could still convincingly play a teenager, and here he is playing some old hardened lawyer.

obin_gam

What was funny about Michael Cera? I guess I totally missed it.

The only thing that amused me about him was that he's the only one in the entire series who could still convincingly play a teenager, and here he is playing some old hardened lawyer.
U7Ghu2s.gif

Anyone feel weird when writers of shows/movies write a makeout/sex scene with a hot woman and himself? :p

Talking about Showalter and Lake Bell? The latter has been friends/colleagues with Wain for awhile I believe as she's on Children's Hospital (which Wain co-produces). Also I don't think actors typically think about it that way.

Bread

Banned
the scene with john slattery talking to amy poehler with a tree in his face is so stupid yet unbelievably funny

Watevaman

Finished this yesterday. As with the original movie, I enjoyed pretty much all of it except for the theater parts. They just never clicked with me, but I've also never like Amy Poehler. I really enjoyed how much they referenced movie stuff in the show.

border

Are nearly all of these meant to be parodies or sound-a-likes of existing songs?

Brass Muscles sounds a lot like Brass in Pocket by The Pretenders.
Can't Stand Nothing But You sounds like Fox on the Run by Sweet.
Heart Attack Love sounds like Heartbreaker by Pat Benatar
Everybody Does and I Don't have kind of a Blondie sound (Atomic and Rapture come to mind).

I can't really place the others though.

sdornan

I think my favorite joke of the whole show was
Alan's realization that Donna also gave everyone else at the camp one of those horns and not just him. Literally everyone at the camp is standing around blowing their horn.

komplanen

I've seen the first 3 episodes and at first most of the crew, especially Cooper, looking like 2x older 2x fatter version of themselves really bummed me out but as time goes by it's obvious the comedy is just perfect.

border

I thought only Molly Shannon and Michael Showalter looked like they had very severely aged. Everyone else was fine.

My two favorite lines from the series were:
"I'll fart my way into that snatch. Just watch."
and
"I'm old enough to take a big fat sheeeiiit on your face."

Both were really unexpected and caught me off guard

I thought only Molly Shannon and Michael Showalter looked like they had very severely aged. Everyone else was fine.

I dunno actress that plays Abby looks like she's seen some shit. Watching episodes of The State now, if you wanna see an age gap...they look like they just got out of daycare.

First episode was meh but I'm up to the 5th now and I'm finding it very funny for sure

Jon Slattery's character kind of got old quick tho I really appreciate how many mad men actors im seeing on this show

Loving everybody else tho. As for the kids I think that redhead bully is having a lot of fun with this lol

Got through all of it, overall I loved it but not as much as the movie.

Some of that comes from I'm guessing schedules from actors interfering with everyone being able to be together often (not as bad as AD season 4 tho), and so it doesn't flow as well. Other comes from extraneous characters that just didn't work.

Pine's rocker in the cabin guy was one (so Bank's storyline was largely meh).

The other was Slattery. I don't know if it was just the character or his acting, but it just did nothing for me and fell flat.

tauroxd

I liked it, I thought they captured very well the feeling of the movie and dividied it up into 8 episodes.

My favorite parts were:

Abby scene in the bathroom, just too funny.

The indoor kids cameo was amazing.

Jason Schwartzman driking the waste.

Archer!

Chris Pine story line.

The fact that we got 3 Mad Men actors.

I've seen Elizabeth Banks and Paul Rudd over the years. so it wasn't a shock to see that they haven't aged a lot, but Marguerite Moreau is still beatiful and looks pretty much the same!

finished up the season. some of the stories/jokes just fell flat for me. specifically, linzey/rockstar storyline got like 0 laughs from me (except when
chris pine gets run over by the tank)

i wish ken marino had a bigger part. his story/scenes were the highlight. overall pretty good with some highs that matched/exceeded the movie but overall the movie is still king. hopefully they do another season somehow!

Sanjuro

finished up the season. some of the stories/jokes just fell flat for me. specifically, linzey/rockstar storyline got like 0 laughs from me (except when

i wish ken marino had a bigger part. his story/scenes were the highlight. overall pretty good with some highs that matched/exceeded the movie but overall the movie is still king. hopefully they do another season somehow!

I liked the continuity of the someone else must have shit in my pants joke.

HowZatOZ

Banned
This is probably the worst TV show I've seen on Netflix so far, and I usually love the wacky and weird movie like Napoleon Dynamite. Watched it with my girlfriend who shares the same tastes and we turned it off after 15 minutes of episode one. Absolutely terrible humour with way too much overplayed jokes.

This is probably the worst TV show I've seen on Netflix so far, and I usually love the wacky and weird movie like Napoleon Dynamite. Watched it with my girlfriend who shares the same tastes and we turned it off after 15 minutes of episode one. Absolutely terrible humour with way too much overplayed jokes.

makes sense

Sanjuro

Congrats on the Napoleon Dynamite.

Bacon

15 minutes of the first episode is definitely enough to form an opinion on the entire season.

woolley

I'm gonna guess you never watched the movie.

Really wish we could've got JJ back together with Gary and McKinley.

But the Victor and Neil dynamic duo was back so can't complain too much

Also I was surprised that Paul Rudd didn't throw any kids out of the van

And Camp Tiger Claw fell flat for me more than anything else.

megalowho

Just finished, really glad this exists and that it turned out as successful as it did. Not everything hits and some of the storylines drag a little but there's more funny material for just a movie, so happy it's in this format in the end. Already finding new jokes and bits I missed first time around scrubbing through. Some memorable stuff:
- The scene where Donna gives Coop a shofar and that whole storyline in episode 3. "Wow, that's such an odd way to wrap a present" "that's just, it's easier that way for multiple takes"
- The forgettable counselor with the black hair. They cut to the same shot of him saying "tell us!" three times before JJ tells his spooky Eric story
- Gene and the tomatoes apron. Gail and Gene/Jeff's wedding. Gene, The Falcon and Beth at the end. Gene.
- The cold opens for Rock & Roll World and Associate Professor Newman. I'd watch a Rock & Roll World spinoff show.
- Michael Cera's standing up to the U.S. lawyers. So out of place but oddly funny as Jim Stansel. His "I don't think so" delivery cracks me up
- The payoff at the end of Electro City: "It's the guvna! He says.. execute him!" the crowd's reaction to Andy and Katie nailing the pose, "Electro City is such a cruel place to live"
- Victor humping Neil's ear. Victor and Neil calling Gene. Victor and Rhonda at the party: "What do you do for fun, huh" "You know, like, pretty much... like fucking and stuff like that." Victor.
- "Hey party people in the house, it's me, DJ Ski Mask! Otherwise known as Ben the theater counselor. It's me! Here we go!" "Hi Ben"

giphy.gif

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This was the weakest part of the series for me, as well. Chris Pine just isn't funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom