• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Feathers are really sharp, so they're probably the best bet for a really close shave. Easy to irritate and cut skin though I find. Derby blades didn't do much for me, but they weren't awful. Also haven't tried the Gilletes so I can't really comment on those. The best I've found for me have been Astra Platinum blades.

I've seen a lot of people with a preference for Astra. I'll give the feathers a try and if I don't like those I'll order a box of astras.

Taborcarn

I like Proraso's sensitive (white label) balm.

Also, unless it's the scent you're after, I wouldn't overlook the drugstore brands. They definitely are better products than the canned shaving creams. Nivea Sensitive, Dove Men+Care, and Aveeno are all good options.

h3ro

What's a good alternative to art of shaving after shave balms. I like what they offer but for like 40 bucks it seems overpriced.
I love Nivea's after shaving balm. Doesn't kill the wallet, great subtle scent and soothes the skin nicely after a good shave.

So I tried my first ever single blade shave last night.

I don't think I've ever cut my neck as much as I did lol.

I really hope its just because I need to narrow down the form and practice more. My face feels great, I just couldn't get my neck down. Also the jaw line area was kind of a bitch too. I'm using an Edwin Jagger De86bl and I didn't expect it to be so big and hard to navigate.

bjscott05

I really hope its just because I need to narrow down the form and practice more. My face feels great, I just couldn't get my neck down. Also the jaw line area was kind of a bitch too. I'm using an Edwin Jagger De86bl and I didn't expect it to be so big and hard to navigate.

Using a hot towel after showering and before shaving helped my neck shaving a ton. That, and just getting better technique from practice helped.

Sye d'Burns

The neck is undoubtedly the trickiest part. In addition to funky angles, everybody's growth patterns are different. Here's some old advice with things worth considering.

Wow, it sounds like you didn't have the best experience. I'm sorry to hear that.

Your post was a little light on details and there are several possible causes. I'm just going to list off a couple of things that come to mind.

1) Pressing too hard. Seriously, you may think you're using a light touch. Make it lighter still.
2) Angle. If your angle is too shallow, you'll just end up scraping your face. If it's too deep, you may nick yourself or on flatter areas do little more than rub the top of the razor over your skin and remove very little of the whiskers.
3) The way you're holding the razor. You may find it helpful to hold the razor with your thumb and forefinger just beneath the head. This helps both with angle and pressure. It will also help you with the slippery nature of your particular razor.
4) It could be the blade. Like the poster beneath you alluded, blades that work for some, may not work for others.

Because of your use of the word "navigate," and I may totally be misreading this, I would add that you should hold your wrist steady and make adjustments to your angle with your arm.

The trick to shaving with a safety razor is to unlearn most everything we've been taught about shaving. You can take a disposable and press into your face as you shave without cutting. Moving heads mean that you do not need to trouble yourself with maintaining a proper angle. Even being able to get away with things like dry shaving.

With a safety razor, the trick is to apply no weight, let the weight of the razor do the work. Maintaining angle is important, not in the sense that you will cut yourself, but, because you will likely scrape off that top layer of skin otherwise and get a nice razor burn.

On most days, I shave as quickly as I ever did with a disposable. If I'm in a hurry, face lathering takes very little time. I tend to use Proraso, as I listed above, Palmolive, some euro blend I bought online, or an Arko Shave soap.

Roland1979

I've seen a lot of people with a preference for Astra. I'll give the feathers a try and if I don't like those I'll order a box of astras.

My favorite as well. Astra comes in Superior Platinum (SP) and Stainless Steel (SS) i think it was. Most prefer Superior Platinum, it's very sharp yet very smooth, like it almost has no micro teeth (all razor do have them, some a little more then others). Razor brands are like finger prints, each type has a different profile when magnified.

Esch

Banned
new buy

300.JPG

review coming soon

Taborcarn

You may be playing to a mostly empty house but I'll be looking forward to it.

Same!

Mini-review for Martin de Candre Fougere shaving soap:

Crazy expensive, but worth it. I bought it from a user on another forum for $60 for a 200g jar (which is not a bad deal since it can normally only be ordered directly from France). With just minimal loading it produced tons of super slick lather, and after the shave my skin has never felt softer. And the scent if an intoxicating Fern, with some spice to it. It instantly shot to the top of my list of favorites.

X-Frame

Just wanted to pop in and say that I did my first wet shave tonight. I am 27 years old and have always been using an electric razor, a crappy one at that. Shaved every day and yet often would get in-grown hairs and I still would get some acne, probably from the irritation from shaving. Not to mention just a crappy shave that would return too quickly.

I always wanted to do wet shaving but I was afraid that the blade would irritate any acne that I would have, even though the electric razor may be the cause. I figure that making the switch and taking care of my face and beard more would do way more for my skin health.

I watched and bought everything from the Art of Manliness "How To Shave Like Your Grandpa" video. The only thing I didn't get exactly is 100 Shark blades, I bought a variety pack off Amazon.

So far so good, and I am happy that I finally am doing this!

Sye d'Burns

Same!

Mini-review for Martin de Candre Fougere shaving soap:

Crazy expensive, but worth it. I bought it from a user on another forum for $60 for a 200g jar (which is not a bad deal since it can normally only be ordered directly from France). With just minimal loading it produced tons of super slick lather, and after the shave my skin has never felt softer. And the scent if an intoxicating Fern, with some spice to it. It instantly shot to the top of my list of favorites.

Whew, that's some pricey stuff! Though, I must admit, fern plus never felt softer has me intrigued.

Just wanted to pop in and say that I did my first wet shave tonight. I am 27 years old and have always been using an electric razor, a crappy one at that. Shaved every day and yet often would get in-grown hairs and I still would get some acne, probably from the irritation from shaving. Not to mention just a crappy shave that would return too quickly.

I always wanted to do wet shaving but I was afraid that the blade would irritate any acne that I would have, even though the electric razor may be the cause. I figure that making the switch and taking care of my face and beard more would do way more for my skin health.

I watched and bought everything from the Art of Manliness "How To Shave Like Your Grandpa" video. The only thing I didn't get exactly is 100 Shark blades, I bought a variety pack off Amazon.

So far so good, and I am happy that I finally am doing this!

Having had them all my shaving life, my experience was that the occurrence of ingrown hairs and razor bumps went way down within a couple of weeks after I switched to a safety razor. I'd put the clear-up at over 95%, meaning only a couple on my neck from time to time. Good luck!

X-Frame

One of us.

*pound it*

Having had them all my shaving life, my experience was that the occurrence of ingrown hairs and razor bumps went way down within a couple of weeks after I switched to a safety razor. I'd put the clear-up at over 95%, meaning only a couple on my neck from time to time. Good luck!

That really makes me excited to hear that. I only wish I made the switch a lot sooner, but I am glad I made it now. Thank you!

The only thing I didn't get exactly is 100 Shark blades, I bought a variety pack off Amazon.

That's perfectly fine, newbies should always get a variety pack to see which blade is the best for their face.

I really liked Shark but I stuck with Astra in the end. Both were my two favorites.

bjscott05

I agree. Variety packs are the way to go. Blades react to faces and razors differently. For example: many people love feather blades and swear by them, really. I find that they give me too close(!) of a shave and give me some irritation. I find my face reacts better to a milder blade such as a derby or Wilkinson sword blade. It is fun finding what works for you.

X-Frame

So what is the best way to test which blade works best for me? Use 1 blade for 2-3 shaves and then try another blade for 2-3 shaves, until I've tried them all?

Just wondering if there is a better way to go about the process, otherwise it seems simple enough.

bjscott05

So what is the best way to test which blade works best for me? Use 1 blade for 2-3 shaves and then try another blade for 2-3 shaves, until I've tried them all?

Just wondering if there is a better way to go about the process, otherwise it seems simple enough.

I would try them each a bit longer. Maybe for 3 weeks or so. The main guy on the subreddit for wet shaving says try each blade you think you like for a month, so you know if you like them long term or not.

edit: I should make this more clear. I mean try each brand for a few weeks. Not the individual blade.

mantic59

Neo Member
I would try them each a bit longer. Maybe for 3 weeks or so. The main guy on the subreddit for wet shaving says try each blade you think you like for a month, so you know if you like them long term or not.

My personal routine is to try each blade for a week. Then I try them again a year later.

Coincidentally enough, I've run out of my go-to blade (I had a bulk box of 100 "blue" Israeli Personna's that have lasted me over two years) and I can no longer find an exact replacement. I'm told that Crystal blades are identical but I'll soon find out for myself. I've also contacted the Microscopy department of the local university to take some scanning electron microscope (SEM) images of blade edges when they're new, and again after use. Could be interesting! I'll put the images up on Sharpologist.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I'm really fascinated by how things like this all of the sudden become popular years and years after they were a norm.

People are always like, "Well it's the hipsters, what else?" Like it has some negative context. The word is used more for people that appreciate old tried and true methods for doing things, than people that shop at Urban Outfitters or something.

Sye d'Burns

My personal routine is to try each blade for a week. Then I try them again a year later.

Coincidentally enough, I've run out of my go-to blade (I had a bulk box of 100 "blue" Israeli Personna's that have lasted me over two years) and I can no longer find an exact replacement. I'm told that Crystal blades are identical but I'll soon find out for myself. I've also contacted the Microscopy department of the local university to take some scanning electron microscope (SEM) images of blade edges when they're new, and again after use. Could be interesting! I'll put the images up on Sharpologist.

This is likely my greatest (shaving related) fear. At the end of the day, I'm a creature of habit. It's fun to try new razors, soaps and blades but, as the newness of wet shaving passed, I ended up settling in, particularly when it comes to my razor and blade. The thought that one day my go-to blade may no longer be available fills me with dread.

I recently bought a set of 200 blades. Maybe I should buy a couple thousand more... just in case. I'm sure my wife would love that.

I'll be looking forward to seeing those images.

I'm really fascinated by how things like this all of the sudden become popular years and years after they were a norm.

People are always like, "Well it's the hipsters, what else?" Like it has some negative context. The word is used more for people that appreciate old tried and true methods for doing things, than people that shop at Urban Outfitters or something.

I just re-quoted this post a couple of months back, so I'll not re-quote it, in its entirety, now.

I had always hated shaving due to the same types of issues the OP describes. I ultimately went the beardGAF route and kept either a goatee or full on beard for most of the last ten years.

Around a year ago, I had decided that I was done with wearing a beard and I shaved it off. I had a few Mach3 blades in the cabinet and I reveled in how much younger I looked until I had gone through my last blade.

My wife was at the store and was asking me which blades to get. I was completely floored by the price and decided to check if they were cheaper on Amazon. 30 dollars for 8 fusion blades is insane. Absolute insanity.

So I started looking around Amazon and I saw some of the Merkur razors and I was sold. Although, I went a slightly different route. While reading about safety razors, I figured I'd see what I could find on eBay. Don't discount eBay people. You can get a well made Gillette that will shave just as well as a new safety razor for much, much less.

I'm about the furthest thing from a hipster there is. If it hadn't been for amazon's related shopping links, I doubt that safety razors would have even entered my radar. I was initially motivated by price.

I'm curious about this as well. Since the thread is a little on the slow side, it seems a fair topic: How did you get into wet shaving?

Taborcarn

Well for me it was definitely about the price and not about being a hipster.

It stared when I saw the Dollar Shave Club video and started to do some research on that. That led me to mantic59's video review of that product (thanks for stopping by, Mark!)
I watched mantic's other wet shaving videos and his Sharpologist articles, some of which contained links to the Badger and Blade and The Shave Nook forums. The more I read, the more I was intrigued until I actually tried it for myself. Then I was hooked.

Unfortunately I fell into the same trap that many do, and I ended up buying a $60 soap. I also have 7 razors and 6 brushes now, but that's still very small compared to many. But now I consider it to be a hobby instead of a chore, so saving money isn't my primary motivation. Shaving is now my little 15 minutes of me-time each morning, and I really enjoy it.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I'm curious about this as well. Since the thread is a little on the slow side, it seems a fair topic: How did you get into wet shaving?

This thread. I remember seeing the title and thinking, "you know, I always wondered what those blades were used for" Seriously, I saw DE blade pictures everywhere and had no idea what they were used for.

I'm pretty hipster though. I still use pomades and listen to 50's and 60's music.

Sye d'Burns

Unfortunately I fell into the same trap that many do, and I ended up buying a $60 soap. I also have 7 razors and 6 brushes now, but that's still very small compared to many. But now I consider it to be a hobby instead of a chore, so saving money isn't my primary motivation. Shaving is now my little 15 minutes of me-time each morning, and I really enjoy it.

I believe I said that saving money was my initial motivating factor. After all the stuff I've since bought, I've got a couple of years to go before I break even.

B&B is a great resource if you're interested in gathering opinions on vintage razors (and virtually anything else.) I spent a lot of time there researching as I fell into the abyss of razor acquisition.

This thread. I remember seeing the title and thinking, "you know, I always wondered what those blades were used for" Seriously, I saw DE blade pictures everywhere and had no idea what they were used for.

I'm pretty hipster though. I still use pomades and listen to 50's and 60's music.

Stop. Describing. Me.

I am not a hipster.

Nooooooooooooo.

IceCold

So I'm ready to make the jump and shave properly but I would like to get you guys' opinion on the stuff I'm thinking of buying.

Edwin Jagger DE 8911 Razor $36
http://www.italianbarber.com/edwin-jagger-de-8911-razor-chrome-plated

Blade sampler 50 blades for $17. What do you guys think of these blades?
http://www.italianbarber.com/50-blade-de-sampler-pack-50-blades

Simpsons Case C1 Best Badger Shaving Brush $50. I've heard good things about this one but it's out of stock but I'm willing to wait if it's good enough. Not sure what to get otherwise, I'm having a hard time choosing a brush.
http://www.italianbarber.com/simpsons-case-c1-best-badger-shaving-brush

J.M. Fraser's "Original" Shave Cream 450ml $19. Is this good? I'm not sure if I should buy a shaving cream or soap. Also heard that certain brushes are better for shaving creams, and others for soap.
http://www.italianbarber.com/j-m-fraser39s-original-shave-cream-450ml

I heard great things about this one too:

Cella Shave Cream 150g $9. They say it's a shaving cream but isn't this a soap?
http://www.italianbarber.com/cella-shave-cream-150g

Not sure which of the 2 to choose.

RazoRock 60g Alum Stick $6
http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-60g-alum-stick

I'm trying to get everytthing from italian barber since shipping is free if I spend more than 60 bucks. Plus they are based in Ontario, Canada so my order will arrive faster to my house.

After shave: Nivea for sensitive skin $10. I'm not sure about this one. I'm looking for an after shave for sensitive skin. One that doesn't contain alchohol or a strong scent. Maybe you guys can help me find a good one on italian barber.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000GCQC6S/

Proraso Aftershave with Eucalyptus Oil and Menthol $14 Maybe this one is better? I don't see any mention of alcohol. Reviews seem good.
http://www.italianbarber.com/proraso-aftershave-with-eucalyptus-oil-and-menthol-new-formula

Are pre-shave soaps worth it? What do they do?

Also do you guys know of any good lotion to use to wash your face after shaving (or not, just general face cleaner)?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Overall, I won't go into detail, but that's a decent kit. Pick up a styptic pen, too, for when you cut yourself. Preshave soaps can be good. I don't use them, though. Try adding steps to your routine later.

IceCold

Overall, I won't go into detail, but that's a decent kit. Pick up a styptic pen, too, for when you cut yourself. Preshave soaps can be good. I don't use them, though. Try adding steps to your routine later.

The alum stick already has antiseptic properties.

Taborcarn

Pre-shave soaps are intended to soften the skin and hair before shaving. I shower after shaving, so I always use some kind of pre-shave product. If you shower before shaving it may not be as necessary.

I've never used the J.M. Frasier, but reviews seem to be positive; although it can be used with a brush it does seem to be more of a brushless product. I personally would go with the Cella.

The Proraso Green splash does contain alcohol. The White and Blue balms do not though, so those would be worth checking out. Nivea Sensitive is still a good choice as well.
http://www.italianbarber.com/proraso-alcohol-free-aftershave-balm-green-tea-and-oat

Other than that your kit looks good.

Also note that the guy who runs Italian Barber is on vacation, so orders won't start processing until after the 19th.

IceCold

Pre-shave soaps are intended to soften the skin and hair before shaving. I shower after shaving, so I always use some kind of pre-shave product. If you shower before shaving it may not be as necessary.

I've never used the J.M. Frasier, but reviews seem to be positive; although it can be used with a brush it does seem to be more of a brushless product. I personally would go with the Cella.

The Proraso Green splash does contain alcohol. The White and Blue balms do not though, so those would be worth checking out. Nivea Sensitive is still a good choice as well.
http://www.italianbarber.com/proraso-alcohol-free-aftershave-balm-green-tea-and-oat

Other than that your kit looks good.

Also note that the guy who runs Italian Barber is on vacation, so orders won't start processing until after the 19th.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Is the brush that I linked to good for the cella? Online, some people are saying it's especially good with a boar brush. So I might go with the semogue SOC boar brush (I can't link to it now but you can search for it on Italian barber). Also I've been checking online and there seems to be a lot of ways to make the lather. Using the cella shaving cream, is the best technique to brush it with the brush directly and then make the lather directly on your face (while dipping the brush in the water a bit)?

Taborcarn

The Case is a bit on the small side for my tastes. But I have the Simpsons Colonel with the same hair grade and it's a great brush, and works well with Cella. Boar is also a fine way to go. The SOC is as good a boar brush as you'll ever find. I have the Semogue Italian Barber LE brush and it's worked great with Cella. http://www.italianbarber.com/italianbarber-com-limited-edition-2012-semogue-brush My big problem with that brush is that the paint on the handle has chipped. The SOC has an unpainted handle so you're good there.

As far as building lather, my current preferred way is like you said, load the soap onto the brush from the tub, then build the lather on your face, adding a bit of water at a time as you go. But loading the brush from the container and then building the lather in a separate bowl also works.

IceCold

It's different. For me, at least. The styptic pen is much better at handling cuts.

I'll see what I'll do. I still have a small piece of a styptic pen I use since I tend to get cuts when using my gillete so I'll use that if the alum stick isn't effective enough. But there are also styptic creams/gels that are very good and don't leave any residue like the pens. They might be worth a look.

Esch

Banned
You may be playing to a mostly empty house but I'll be looking forward to it.

Pretty good. Great lather, with a nice sandalwoody (?) scent. I felt like I didnt get as quite of a clean shave as i usually do with my Proraso but it lubricated well. No cuts! I'll have to try it with a fresh blade.

Taylor of Old Bond Eton College:

8.5/10

Garret

So, this thread made me want to try this, and I just received what I bought after reading. I would like to read some kind of walkthrough or something before I try my first time.

This is what I acquired at West Shaving Coast:

- Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Shaving Brush.
- DE Blade Sampler Pack, Choice.
- Osma Styptic Pencil, Hemo Stop.
- Bloc Osma Alum Block.
- Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Pedal Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera Toner.
- Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Safety Razor.
- D.R. Harris Arlington Shaving Soap in Mahogany Wood Bowl.

It took exactly a month to arrive to Argentina, so all in all it wasn't that bad (most things take about two months to get here).

Thanks!

Garret

Congrats Garret, that's a great kit all around.

This video playlist is a great primer for getting started:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DB6D82F52BA7608

And this post on Badger & Blade has links to their newbie write-ups and tutorials:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...STRUCTIONS-AND-TUTORIALS-New-READ-THIS-THREAD!

Good luck!

Thank you so much, Taborcarn! I'm gonna dedicate my evening to reading and watching what you have linked (though I may have to work a little as well, haha).

I have to admit that Mad Men made me want to try this out. Why should I lie to GAF?

Thanks again!

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I think I have posted this before, but are there any impressive brushes out there for under $30?

Keep in mind that I am used to using some shit brush from a local drug store.

I think I have posted this before, but are there any impressive brushes out there for under $30?

Keep in mind that I am used to using some shit brush from a local drug store.

Have you check out Whipped Dog? I think it was last mentioned around February.

http://www.whippeddog.com/

You can get a silvertip brush for around $30, maybe a bit more. Looks like he'll get more in stock this week. I got a 36mm handle one for $36 six months ago and it's still going strong.

Garret

Gave it my first try, I used the Merkur blade that came with the razor (I have Feathers, Crystals, Derbys, Astras and another little sample box waiting to be tried). Luckily, I didn't get any nicks (I've been shaving my whole life with disposables, so it wasn't that big of a change).

It wasn't as perfect as I'd like it, and I can't tell if it was better than my regular shave, but I really think I felt better while doing it. The smell of the D.R. Harris' Arlington soap was terrific, and I definitely loved it. I guess I'll just have to keep trying it and getting the handle of it.

IceCold

I just received my stuff :).

Will be using it today, wish me luck.

edit: Just shaved. It didn't go as smoothly as I thought...these razor don't fuck around. I used an Astra SP blade and got a decent amount of nicks and razor burns but I think it's because I fucked up the lather and didn't make it thick enough. Should I stick with the Astra SP next time i shave or try another blade?

Top Bottom