• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

T-Matt

I was really itching to try an adjustable, so I picked up a Gillette Slim from Ebay. I've been using a DE89 for several years now, and after just one pass I realized I should have made the switch earlier. The trap top design, and obviously the adjustability just make for a much better razor. Today's shave was the best I've ever had.

Now I wish I opted for one with better plating, but I wasn't 100% sure I'd like it. Whatever, I'll buy another one if something else doesn't catch my eye first ;-)

I recently got a slim(well a couple months ago) I like it better than the merkur I had which I dropped and broke. The metal in merkurs is pretty crummy.

Much easier than cartridges and you can specifically go against the grain around those areas to get smooth skin around the hair. It isn't that difficult to tell where the blade is, if you just stretch the area around the hair it should be fairly easy.

Do you have any other recommendations? I'm trying to keep a goatee but I feel I never do a good enough job sculpting it. I have a small, translucent ruler I use to keep a straight line but that's it.

Detox

Do you have any other recommendations? I'm trying to keep a goatee but I feel I never do a good enough job sculpting it. I have a small, translucent ruler I use to keep a straight line but that's it.

Not really but smiling, exaggerating your face or just pulling and stretching makes it far easier to get the small bits of hair around the 'thick' hair you want to keep. I do my sideburns just going by looking in the mirror but then again I get it 'fixed' at the barber once a month. You might want to get it sculpted by a professional once and then just shave off the smaller hairs (2 passes: once against the grain) every time you shave.

Sye d'Burns

These posts always make me laugh. I wonder how many people come in here excited and then see "I shaved xx part of my face and now blood" and turn around lol.

Those were fun times. Now that we've been shunted off to community, I doubt they will last.

The thread is too dependent on the questions and queries for advice of the "new blood" to keep the conversation moving.

I'm hesitant to call myself part of the core of posters, seeing as I've absconded from the thread for months at a time, but I have the second highest post count to the thread. Plainly put, the core is just too small and, outside of answering questions from the curious, we'd have little to talk about amongst ourselves.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Those were fun times. Now that we've been shunted off to community, I doubt they will last.

The thread is too dependent on the questions and queries for advice of the "new blood" to keep the conversation moving.

I'm hesitant to call myself part of the core of posters, seeing as I've absconded from the thread for months at a time, but I have the second highest post count to the thread. Plainly put, the core is just too small and, outside of answering questions from the curious, we'd have little to talk about amongst ourselves.
Yeah it's unfortunate.

I'm pretty unsatisfied with GAF these days.

This thread has me pretty excited about this whole deal.

So far I've used a variety of cartridge razors though, and have, for years, stood true to Wilkinson Sword Quattro. I'm pretty cool with it, but the left side of my face has some pretty intense beard growth while the right side is the trailblazer, seemingly 15 years behind or something. Also I'm thinking of giving up my stupid goatee.

I think I should get some better shaving equipment to both invigorate the right side to grow better and to handle the left side's ferocity without calling the cops.

Do any of you dudes shave under the shower? I've dabbled in shaving foams but for the last few years I've shaved under the shower to save time, using shampoo or shower gel as a lubricant to get a good shave. Is lathering soap an absolute necessity to a wet shave or could I theoretically continue my current lifestyle and switch to a safety razor?

Giard

Yeah, I agree. I thought that we would've stayed in Off-topic because we're a very small group. Personally, I never go in the community sub-forums... I guess they're trying to change that, but I doubt it'll work. When the topic was bumped by a regular who subscribed, it attracted new users, but now it won't happen anymore.

Do any of you dudes shave under the shower? I've dabbled in shaving foams but for the last few years I've shaved under the shower to save time, using shampoo or shower gel as a lubricant to get a good shave. Is lathering soap an absolute necessity to a wet shave or could I theoretically continue my current lifestyle and switch to a safety razor?
You could continue what you're doing and use a safety razor, but IMO using a shaving soap or cream is a big part of the "wet shaving experience". I understand that you're doing this to save time, but saving time and wet shaving do not go well together. :p

Sye d'Burns

Yeah, I agree. I thought that we would've stayed in Off-topic because we're a very small group. Personally, I never go in the community sub-forums... I guess they're trying to change that, but I doubt it'll work. When the topic was bumped by a regular who subscribed, it attracted new users, but now it won't happen anymore.

I pm'ed evilore and asked him to reconsider. Hopefully, he will move us back. We'll just have to wait and see.

I know people use a safety razor in the shower and it can be done. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people and I have very little to offer you in the way of advice. You will want something for lubrication in addition to water such as some sort of oil, perhaps. Considering shaving with a safety razor primarily works by "beard reduction," meaning make multiple passes (ie you typically shave more than one time,) it's hard for me to imagine it being an orderly experience. You wouldn't want to be standing in a shower shaving your face all willy-nilly to pick up what you'd missed.

I recently started shaving my face again after a few years of basically uninterrupted growth. Picked up a Merkur for $30 and a razor sample pack for $15. My wife already bought me a brush and some decent soap (Proraso) for Christmas. My stuff arrives Thursday, so I'll report back on how everything goes.

Taborcarn

I've been using a new artisan soap this past week and it's been great. Barrister & Mann makes soaps that are similar in quality to Mike's Naturals with a really nice range of scents. I've been using Cheshire which is their Earl Grey tea scent and they got it exactly right. It's very easy to lather and is cushiony and slick, and since they offer a sample pack it's worth checking out.

http://www.barristerandmann.com/

I recently started shaving my face again after a few years of basically uninterrupted growth. Picked up a Merkur for $30 and a razor sample pack for $15. My wife already bought me a brush and some decent soap (Proraso) for Christmas. My stuff arrives Thursday, so I'll report back on how everything goes.

Good luck!

Alright! Reporting in.

I'd hesitate to call it the worst shave of my life (that would probably be with a Bic disposable...), but it was definitely the most inconsistent. Here were my steps:
  • I took a nice, hot shower beforehand to relax my stubble
  • I applied my lather nice and thick
  • I held my razor at a 30 degree angle and let the weight of the handle do the work
  • I passed over my face once with the grain, re-lathered, and repeated 4 times
  • Washed my face with cold water and applied an aftershave

So what I got was double the irritation and half the stubble removal of a normal cartridge, though thankfully I didn't cut myself. I don't know how I could have since the blade didn't do too much work. I had to go back in and clean up with my normal razor. What did I do wrong, guys?

barrbarr

When I first started wet shaving, my main problem was with the angle. It takes awhile to find the right technique to do this. For me it took about 5 or 6 shaves to understand how to properly shave with a safety razor. You just need some practice man, what were the areas that had the most leftover hair?

h3ro

Alright! Reporting in.

I'd hesitate to call it the worst shave of my life (that would probably be with a Bic disposable...), but it was definitely the most inconsistent. Here were my steps:
  • I took a nice, hot shower beforehand to relax my stubble
  • I applied my lather nice and thick
  • I held my razor at a 30 degree angle and let the weight of the handle do the work
  • I passed over my face once with the grain, re-lathered, and repeated 4 times
  • Washed my face with cold water and applied an aftershave

So what I got was double the irritation and half the stubble removal of a normal cartridge, though thankfully I didn't cut myself. I don't know how I could have since the blade didn't do too much work. I had to go back in and clean up with my normal razor. What did I do wrong, guys?

I think the lack of beard removal is probably down to technique that will only get better with practice but the irritation might be coming from the 5 passes of the razor you made. Even for the toughest beards, that seems like a lot.

Keep at it. I initially was really unhappy as well with the results my first couple of shaves using a safety razor. I tried some different blades and refined my technique and now love it. I usually go for three passes, first with the grain, the second across the grain and the third, if necessary, in just a few spots against the grain. G'luck.

For each pass you should be going in different directions. You need a minimum of a cross (sideways) pass, and preferably a upwards diagonal, or straight upwards pass too. My neck won't take a crosspass, so it's just up and down for me, but the rest of face gets those three mentioned.

Also to note, your face will need a few shaves to get used to it. If I remember correctly, the first couple of times I got great shaves, but my skin had a bit of a hot feeling to it like I had windburn or a slight sunburn. Just right after I shaved, it quickly went away of course.

It definitely takes a little bit of practice to learn how to do it, and what your face likes. 6, 8, 10 shaves later, you'll be on your way.

jcm

For each pass you should be going in different directions. You need a minimum of a cross (sideways) pass, and preferably a upwards diagonal, or straight upwards pass too. My neck won't take a crosspass, so it's just up and down for me, but the rest of face gets those three mentioned.

Also to note, your face will need a few shaves to get used to it. If I remember correctly, the first couple of times I got great shaves, but my skin had a bit of a hot feeling to it like I had windburn or a slight sunburn. Just right after I shaved, it quickly went away of course.

I definitely takes a little bit of practice to learn how to do it, and what your face likes. 6, 8, 10 shaves later, you'll be on your way.

I don't go in different directions. My face gets really irritated if I do anything except with the grain, so I just do with the grain twice.

I don't go in different directions. My face gets really irritated if I do anything except with the grain, so I just do with the grain twice.

Yeah, it's different for everybody. I think most people should be able to get away with a crosspass so I'd recommend it, but you never know what you can and can't do until you try it.

I think the lack of beard removal is probably down to technique that will only get better with practice but the irritation might be coming from the 5 passes of the razor you made. Even for the toughest beards, that seems like a lot.

Keep at it. I initially was really unhappy as well with the results my first couple of shaves using a safety razor. I tried some different blades and refined my technique and now love it. I usually go for three passes, first with the grain, the second across the grain and the third, if necessary, in just a few spots against the grain. G'luck.

My beard isn't even that thick - I was just aiming for total beard removal and I gave up when it didn't look like it was going to happen. I still had a bit of stubble all over my face since I was unable to totally clear any one area. I'll work on my angle next time and give you guys regular reports! Thanks for the advice.

Also, how do you guys recommend storing your safety razor once you're done? How do you keep it clean?

ramyeon

5 passes is way too much in my opinion. Even on my first time wet shaving I stopped myself at 4 because I could feel my skin getting irritated. 3 is a max for me, and at first I couldn't get a clean shave all over with that but now I get it every time.

First pass is a regular pass going straight down all over, I always make really short strokes as opposed to long passes over large areas.

Second pass is a crosspass across the face, there are some areas of my neck that just don't agree with this and for those I just try to change the direction a bit so there's not as much resistance.

Last pass is up and against the grain all over and this cleans up and gets rid of any remaining stubble.

I know some people can't get away with going against the grain, and maybe you'll have to substitute that step with something else, but against is always the best way to get a close shave in my experience.

I know some people can't get away with going against the grain, and maybe you'll have to substitute that step with something else, but against is always the best way to get a close shave in my experience.

Going against the grain has always worked well for me with a regular razor, so I'm sure I can make it work with a safety razor with a little care.

ramyeon

Going against the grain has always worked well for me with a regular razor, so I'm sure I can make it work with a safety razor with a little care.
Yeah, if it worked with the cartridge razor you'll have no issues. Take 3 passes with those directions in mind and you should be set really.

After trying out all my sampler blades I think I'm decided on the Astra Platinums. I tried out the Feather blades but for some reason I actually get way better shaves using the Astras. It may be that I'm a bit too cautious and conservative when I use Feather blades though.

2nd shave: Repeated the same steps as before, but made 3 passes - one with, one across, one against. My shave was a lot smoother this time, though some stubble still remained. My closer shave was at the expense of actually getting a couple minor nicks which didn't happen my first time. Progress?

ramyeon

2nd shave: Repeated the same steps as before, but made 3 passes - one with, one across, one against. My shave was a lot smoother this time, though some stubble still remained. My closer shave was at the expense of actually getting a couple minor nicks which didn't happen my first time. Progress?
Definitely. As you get used to using the razor you'll get closer shaves and less nicks.

h3ro

Keep on keepin' on!

cresta

Neo Member
Followed this thread for a long while before getting the chance to post.

So glad I took the plunge and bought a DE razor. No more irritations/razor burn compared to the umpteen blade cartridge I used before.

Healthy skin + wallet = thanks GAF!

cresta

Neo Member
Ahoy!

Any thought on the below item for a simple starter set?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SF289-Shaving-Factory-Double-Safety/dp/B004EG24HI/ref=sr_1_6?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1370110417&sr=1-6&keywords=razor

Or should I keep hunting around?

Cheers!

It looks OK. The only thing I would be aware of is the 100 blade pack.

When I first started I was told to try as many different brands as I could, because you could be unlucky and get a bad experience with that blade which just might put you off DE shaving for good.

100 blades might also last you two years, depending on how often you shave, so that's also something to bear in mind.

So I would definitely recommend a blade sample pack as well, and ebay seems to have a much better choice than amazon in this regard.

Raide

It looks OK. The only thing I would be aware of is the 100 blade pack.

When I first started I was told to try as many different brands as I could, because you could be unlucky and get a bad experience with that blade which just might put you off DE shaving for good.

100 blades might also last you two years, depending on how often you shave, so that's also something to bear in mind.

So I would definitely recommend a blade sample pack as well, and ebay seems to have a much better choice than amazon in this regard.

So possibly pick this up alongside a few other blade packs? UK based, so I have been checking through the OP links.

cresta

Neo Member
So possibly pick this up alongside a few other blade packs? UK based, so I have been checking through the OP links.

Sure. As for sample packs, I chose this one. Don't think the site is in the OP's links, but I was pretty happy all round. Went through all of them and got the Astra SP's in the end.

HTH.

Oh! Just had a quick browse around and noticed a nice sample pack (the 65 blade one) from Connaught Shaving as well.

Bit more pricey than the one I linked, but features more blades..

I like those two. Any ideas which one will be the better razor overall or are they both pretty close?

The Weishi razor in opt. 1 is a known quantity, unfortunately it seems to provide a very mild, unaggressive shave. The ToOBS soap however is lovely stuff, and the brush is labeled as boar.

The razor in opt. 2 is unknown. The Arko stick is good stuff, but the very opposite of fancy. Brush looks good, 100 blades.

I'd say go with the best razor, but I think that might mean taking a flier on something unknown (#2). Who knows if it's actually any better. If the razors were equal, I definitely say #1 however.

My REAL advice would be to buy something like the Edwin Jagger De89bl for 20 pounds, and continue on with your current shaving cream until you want to spend the money on a brush and soap. That's a razor that you could use everyday for the rest of your life and never need anything more. It comes with 5 blades too which should be good for 20 shaves or more.

Raide

The Weishi razor in opt. 1 is a known quantity, unfortunately it seems to provide a very mild, unaggressive shave. The ToOBS soap however is lovely stuff, and the brush is labeled as boar.

The razor in opt. 2 is unknown. The Arko stick is good stuff, but the very opposite of fancy. Brush looks good, 100 blades.

I'd say go with the best razor, but I think that might mean taking a flier on something unknown (#2). Who knows if it's actually any better. If the razors were equal, I definitely say #1 however.

My REAL advice would be to buy something like the Edwin Jagger De89bl for 20 pounds, and continue on with your current shaving cream until you want to spend the money on a brush and soap. That's a razor that you could use everyday for the rest of your life and never need anything more. It comes with 5 blades too which should be good for 20 shaves or more.

Thanks. I have some thinking to do then. :D

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I need to do a deep cleaning of my razors and my brushes, suggestions?

I've never cleaned my brush. But for my razor, I just take a toothbrush and scrub the scum off that bad boy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, er-is the only way to get a kit online? There's no retail stores that a variety of blades and types?

I was looking to to get a few items just to try it out but I didn't really want to order it online if I could get it somewhere today... :/

jcm

Thanks. I have some thinking to do then. :D

One thing to remember is that all of this stuff lasts for years. You're better off buying something decent, because you're going to have it for a while.

So, er-is the only way to get a kit online? There's no retail stores that a variety of blades and types?

I was looking to to get a few items just to try it out but I didn't really want to order it online if I could get it somewhere today... :/

Art of Shaving has lots of stores, but I think they only sell their own, expensive stuff. We also have another (expensive) place here in DC called Grooming Lounge. It's definitely a niche, product, though, so it's hard to find at retail.

mantic59

Neo Member
I need to do a deep cleaning of my razors and my brushes, suggestions?

It's probably a good idea to clean it once a year or so, more often if you have hard water. But you should probably be sure to thoroughly rinse and dry your brush after every shave. HERE is a video about it.

mantic59

Neo Member

Depends where you live. HERE is a list of "bricks and mortar" stores I know about.

Shave #3: A little closer, zero discernible nicks. Still a bit of razor burn and some remaining stubble. Does it ever become possible to get a shave as close as conventional cartridges without nicking yourself?

Shave #3: A little closer, zero discernible nicks. Still a bit of razor burn and some remaining stubble. Does it ever become possible to get a shave as close as conventional cartridges without nicking yourself?

There will still be room for improvement in your technique, but you may find that when you try different blade brands from your sampler, that might be where some of the performance is hidden away. They're not all created equal, and chances are you'll find a brand that's better suited to your face.

ramyeon

I get much closer shaves with no nicks nowadays. What blade are you using?

ramyeon

I'm using Gillette 7 o'clock right now - I have a couple boxes of derby and feathers as well. I heard feathers are super-sharp?
Feathers are really sharp, so they're probably the best bet for a really close shave. Easy to irritate and cut skin though I find. Derby blades didn't do much for me, but they weren't awful. Also haven't tried the Gilletes so I can't really comment on those. The best I've found for me have been Astra Platinum blades.

ChanHuk

Banned
Feathers are really overrated as far as sharpness go. I mean don't get me wrong, they'll cut you good. But people are making it seem like they're surgical blades. I use Astra SP blades and haven't found a problem with them. I hated Derby blades and the 7OC Blues gave me irritation.

Top Bottom