• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

bjscott05

One of us.

Yep, I hope it works out well. I'm just so sick of getting shitty shaves from electric razors and multi-blade razors that just pull on my hair.

What blades do you guys use? My sampler has Feather, Astra, Lord Platinum, and Lord Super Stainless. I'd imagine there are some others I need to try out also.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Yep, I hope it works out well. I'm just so sick of getting shitty shaves from electric razors and multi-blade razors that just pull on my hair.

What blades do you guys use? My sampler has Feather, Astra, Lord Platinum, and Lord Super Stainless. I'd imagine there are some others I need to try out also.
Nothing touches this face but feathers.

ramyeon

Razor and brush came in today, as well as a sampler pack of blades.

jbzP60LRBPkXQ2.png

Filtered instagram pic as that's all I had on hand. This razor is a thing of beauty, the brush too actually. Can't wait to try it out as soon as my soap comes in on Monday. As far as blades go I got a 50 sampler pack of Feathers, Astra Platinums, Crowns, Bics, Dorcos, Lord Platinums, Derby and Sharks. Any others I should look into testing out?

Giard

I use Astra, but I might try another kind when I have none left (in a couple of years) :p
They're pretty good. My face can't handle Feathers, but some people swear by them.

Taborcarn

For me blade choice depends on the razor I'm using. I have a Merkur 37C slant razor that I enjoy using sharper blades in like Feathers and the Gillette Silver Blues.
But if I use those same blades in my Cadet Open Comb razor, I get sliced up. That's a more aggressive razor so to me it works best with milder blades, like Derbys, Wilkinson Swords, and Lord Platinums.

I love both razors and switch them up to suit my mood, but I keep a bunch of types and blades in stock. And I'm always experimenting when I come across new blade brands.

Taborcarn

I'm reposting something I wrote up on another board, but it's good info for newbies here too, especially those who start with the commonly found Van der Hagen starter kit.

A notice to all: Bowl Size Matters!

Ever since I got my WSP Monarch brush (the first nicer badger brush I owned) I've known that it was a high quality brush, but I've had trouble bowl lathering just about everything with it. The lather would always just suck in and hide deep inside the brush. I would have to work and work and work to get it out.

My last few shaves with this brush I've attempted face lathering with it, which I don't normally do. It was a vast improvement! This led me to believe that this was just a good face lathering brush and a bad bowl lathering brush.

But after an epiphany today I realize my problem was the bowl I was using. The culprit: the dreaded Van Der Hagen deluxe bowl.

On a whim this evening I grabbed a cereal bowl and what I thought was an average performing cream, Real Shaving Co.

The results: incredibly fluffy lather with so little effort I was shocked. And the only variable changed was the bowl!
Now I feel like I need to go back to every single soap and cream I've tried and give them another shot. I have a feeling the ok ones will get good, and the good ones will get great!

The lather:
attachment.php

Size Comparison:
attachment.php

Here's the brush I used

iamblades

I use Astra, but I might try another kind when I have none left (in a couple of years) :p
They're pretty good. My face can't handle Feathers, but some people swear by them.

Yeah I use Feathers in my merkur slant bar, it's hardcore, but lets me get the job done in 2 passes. I find you need a sharp blade in the slant bar, otherwise it will catch hairs and dig in, which you don't want. If you don't use proper technique with that combo, you will shave off half your skin as well though.

I use korean Dorcos in my standard DE at the moment, just because that's what I have, I have also used Derbys a lot in that one.. I feel a less aggressive razor doesn't require as sharp blades, which seems counter intuitive, until you think that with a more aggressive razor you are just taking cuts of more hair at once, so it needs to be sharper.

jcm

Razor and brush came in today, as well as a sampler pack of blades.

Filtered instagram pic as that's all I had on hand. This razor is a thing of beauty, the brush too actually. Can't wait to try it out as soon as my soap comes in on Monday. As far as blades go I got a 50 sampler pack of Feathers, Astra Platinums, Crowns, Bics, Dorcos, Lord Platinums, Derby and Sharks. Any others I should look into testing out?

That's a really pretty brush. Is the handle wood? What brand/model is it?

As far as blades go, I find that my tastes change. I go through a sampler, choose one, buy 50 or a 100 of them. Once I get through the bulk set I try another sampler, and choose something else.

I think the sampler you've got will give a good range. The only blade I like that you're missing is the Israeli blades (personna/crystal). The Crowns, Lords and Sharks are basically the same blade I think. Shark was my standard blade for a while. It's not the sharpest thing ever, but I found it really comfortable.

I really disliked Merkur and Dorco, but I've been using Merkurs again this week and I'm having better luck with it. I don't think there's a One True Blade for me.

Var

After reading through the thread tonight, I am sold. I just ordered a Merkur 38C, a blade sampler, a brush, and some shaving cream.

ramyeon

That's a really pretty brush. Is the handle wood? What brand/model is it?

As far as blades go, I find that my tastes change. I go through a sampler, choose one, buy 50 or a 100 of them. Once I get through the bulk set I try another sampler, and choose something else.

I think the sampler you've got will give a good range. The only blade I like that you're missing is the Israeli blades (personna/crystal). The Crowns, Lords and Sharks are basically the same blade I think. Shark was my standard blade for a while. It's not the sharpest thing ever, but I found it really comfortable.

I really disliked Merkur and Dorco, but I've been using Merkurs again this week and I'm having better luck with it. I don't think there's a One True Blade for me.
Yeah, it's a great little brush. The handle is ash tree wood and it's this one from Muhle.

Thanks, I'll probably go through these and see which I like from these then. Gonna try the derby first since one came packed in with the razor itself.

Sye d'Burns

Always love to see Pinaud...

One of my favorite shaving products, and now I must really get into DE's. Are these razors meant only for people with beards?

Not at all. Up until the advent of disposables and later disposable cartridges, they're what virtually all men (and women) used.

There are also single edge and injectable blade razors but double edge razors were far and away the more popular choice.

edit: i mustn't forget to include the straights. I know adamsappel is a fan.

ramyeon

Well, the last two pieces of my set came in (Stand and soap) so my first wet shaving set is complete! Can't wait to give this a go tomorrow morning as I have a late start and should be able to take my time. The soap smells heavenly, so much better than crappy shaving gel in a can smells.

Giard

Well, the last two pieces of my set came in (Stand and soap) so my first wet shaving set is complete! Can't wait to give this a go tomorrow morning as I have a late start and should be able to take my time. The soap smells heavenly, so much better than crappy shaving gel in a can smells.

That is one sexy kit.

Taborcarn

I have to put in some praise for Phil over at Bullgoose Shaving as a vendor. He has a reputation for lightning fast shipping, and it is well earned. I put in an order for the following on Friday afternoon. It was shipped from California to New Jersey, and I already had it in my hands by 10AM on Monday morning.

Semogue 2012 LE mixed boar/badger brush
Musgo Real Oakmoss cream
Tabac soap Refill
10 pack of Feather blades
and a free sample of Geo F Trumper Limes cologne.

Also at the same time my recent ebay purchase came in, a Gillette New.

2013_05_06_11_05_42.jpg

ramyeon

Back from my first ever shave with a safety razor. Everything everyone said was true - it's so different. I'm very impressed and glad I gave this a go. It's very close to the best shave I've ever had - I say close because there are a few difficult patches that will take time to perfect. I nicked myself twice on areas that are already sensitive and irritated from shaving with a crappy Mach 3 for years and years, but I didn't even feel the nicks until I saw blood. They were also because I accidentally switched back to bad habits (Going over spots with no lather on them) but I'll make sure not to do that next time.

I was worried about making a good lather with soap for the first time, but it turned out really nice. Just loaded the brush in the wood tub and then lathered it in a bowl from my kitchen lol much nicer texture than cream in a can. Overall, I'm sold on this and very happy with my first shave. I'm sure I'll get better over time and hopefully see an improvement in my skin and razor bumps disappearing etc.

jcm

Just had a weird experience with a blade from a sampler pack. I think it is this blade - Cyrstal Platinum Chrome Plated. The blade has no markings, and packaging just has a generic picture of a razor blade on it. One side of the blade gave me a terrific shave. Close, but no burn, nicks, etc. However, the other side of the blade wouldn't cut my hair at all. It was the strangest thing. I had to keep reminding myself not to reverse the razor. I'll be trying a new one later this week, and I'll see if this is just an anomaly.

West Coast shaving sells 100 of them for $10, so it might be worth buying them even if more of them exhibit this behavior.

Taborcarn

That's weird. I got a pack of Crystals from a sampler from WCS also and they looked the same way, plain wrapper with no markings on the blade. But I didn't run into the only one side was sharp problem. Try contacting WCS to see if they've heard of that before.

maxxpower

Do you guys a closer shave with these razors compared with multi-blade razors? My shitty mustache hair doesn't fully go away when I shave with those three-blade razors so I'm thinking of giving this a try if it'll give me a closer shave.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Do you guys a closer shave with these razors compared with multi-blade razors? My shitty mustache hair doesn't fully go away when I shave with those three-blade razors so I'm thinking of giving this a try if it'll give me a closer shave.

Its less of a matter of "if" it can give a close shave, and more of a matter of how long you are willing to spend to do that. 1 pass doesn't give me a perfectly clean shave, and I don't even have thick facial hair.

2 or more and my face is smoother than...something really smooth.

Taborcarn

Yes it's a matter of practice and technique, but yes very smooth shaves are doable.

For me it also depends on which razor I'm using. My Cadet Open Comb razor is the most aggresive one I have, and I can get super smooth in 3 passes (with the grain, across the grain, and finish with against the grain on my face and across the grain again on the neck).
To get that smooth with my Edwin Jagger DE89 or Merkur 37C, I need to throw in an extra touch-up half-pass on my cheeks and below the jawline.
And the 50's Gillette Tech is so mild that I still don't get quite as smooth with that much but I'm not willing to do any more than that.

But granted, I have pretty thick and fast-growing hair. That's from my Italian side. From the Irish side I have very fair skin, so combined with the dark hair even when my shave is super smooth I still look like I have a 5 o'clock shadow an hour later.

I was really itching to try an adjustable, so I picked up a Gillette Slim from Ebay. I've been using a DE89 for several years now, and after just one pass I realized I should have made the switch earlier. The trap top design, and obviously the adjustability just make for a much better razor. Today's shave was the best I've ever had.

Now I wish I opted for one with better plating, but I wasn't 100% sure I'd like it. Whatever, I'll buy another one if something else doesn't catch my eye first ;-)

jcm

That's weird. I got a pack of Crystals from a sampler from WCS also and they looked the same way, plain wrapper with no markings on the blade. But I didn't run into the only one side was sharp problem. Try contacting WCS to see if they've heard of that before.

I think it was just a dud blade. The second one works fine on both sides. I really like them. It's a good balance between close and irritating. For 10 cents a blade it may be my next bulk purchase, even if they have the occasional quality control problem.

ramyeon

I was feeling brave today and decided to try out my Feathers. Definitely the closest shave I've had yet, but I did end up with some redness/burn on the bottom of my neck and a few nicks from when I stopped paying attention. I'm hoping the burn/irritation dies down after a few shaves but if not I may have to look into it.

Taborcarn

I had similar neck irritation when I started with a DE. You hear the mantra "no pressure", and I really think it is an extremely important point. Even if you think you're going light, try for even less pressure. Especially with Feathers. One trick I've used is to hold the razor by the very tip, as far down the handle as you can. Once you feel how little pressure you can use this way, you can try to replicate that while holding it the normal way.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I was feeling brave today and decided to try out my Feathers. Definitely the closest shave I've had yet, but I did end up with some redness/burn on the bottom of my neck and a few nicks from when I stopped paying attention. I'm hoping the burn/irritation dies down after a few shaves but if not I may have to look into it.

My neck is forever irritated. It's a tough area for me to shave. I really have to take my time with it and be incredibly conscious of the direction the hair grows. It's an area where the hair growth direction isn't very easy, either. One tiny part will be left, another right next to it will be up and to the right, etc. Obnoxious.

Bear

Its less of a matter of "if" it can give a close shave, and more of a matter of how long you are willing to spend to do that. 1 pass doesn't give me a perfectly clean shave, and I don't even have thick facial hair.

2 or more and my face is smoother than...something really smooth.

How suitable is this if you don't want a close shave? I like to keep some stubble so I stick to shitty disposable razors, but if I haven't shaved in over a week I have to trim it first. Would there be an advantage to switching to one of these razors?

Basically I want a better shave but not a closer one.

How suitable is this if you don't want a close shave? I like to keep some stubble so I stick to shitty disposable razors, but if I haven't shaved in over a week I have to trim it first. Would there be an advantage to switching to one of these razors?

What you want is a beard trimmer, or an electric razor.

Rehynn

This thread has inspired me to try a safety razor. Apparently, we still have my grandfather's old razor, so I guess I'm going to use that one:)

I find it difficult to get a very clean shave with modern razors, especially when it comes to my moustache.

Giard

I keep some stubble by only doing one pass with the grain.

But yeah, you're probably better off with a trimmer.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
Is there any sort of has-it-all starters kit that isn't a cheap piece of crap? Something that includes the safety razor, the brush, etc...?

ZaCH3000

I'm looking for the most reliable, closest shaving, shaving kit, razor and handle available. I don't give a shit about what looks classy or not. 100% practicability is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

bjscott05

Anyone else think it is pretty much impossible to go with the grain on your neck? Mine grows sideways and it is impossible. Always have to go across the grain to really cut anything.

I might use a sharper blade too. Been using Astra, but I might switch it up soon and use a Feather.

Rehynn

So I've finally found my granddad's razor. It's a pretty standard Wilkinson, and fortunately he had a bunch of unused Shick blades.

Boy, is this thing sharp. I'm bleedig around my lips like a motherfucker. But I love how effortlessly it cuts my beard, cartridges often feel like they're just pulling the hair.

Thanks, GAF!

Rehynn

These posts always make me laugh. I wonder how many people come in here excited and then see "I shaved xx part of my face and now blood" and turn around lol.

Haha, just to clarify: I'm definitely sticking with the safety razor, I love the effortlessness and the smoothness. I just need to get better at using it!

By the way, does it really matter what the razor is made of? My granddad's is a simple plastic affair, but it's the blades that do the actual shaving, so I'm guessing it should be fine, right?

Gav47

Sorry if this has been already answered but search is down because of the xbox unveiling.

What are safety razors like for trimming and touching up facial hair? I like to keep a short beard from time to time but find it hard to keep a neat neckline with normal cartridge razors, are safety razors easier to do this with?
The bulky head makes me think it would be hard to see what you are doing.

ChanHuk

Banned
Sorry if this has been already answered but search is down because of the xbox unveiling.

What are safety razors like for trimming and touching up facial hair? I like to keep a short beard from time to time but find it hard to keep a neat neckline with normal cartridge razors, are safety razors easier to do this with?

Uh not bad, it requires you to "remember" where the blade is, a straight edge is better for that if you know how to use one.

Detox

Much easier than cartridges and you can specifically go against the grain around those areas to get smooth skin around the hair. It isn't that difficult to tell where the blade is, if you just stretch the area around the hair it should be fairly easy.

Top Bottom