• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are Some Good Mystery/Detective Story Novels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished reading Bound in Shallows. It was an entertaining read with a unique "pagan" flavor to it, although it wasn't much of a mystery and it spent too much time dealing with forensic issues.

Now that I'm finished with it, I want to read some more mysteries and/or detective stories. I would like to read something that will keep me guessing to the very end. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks! :)

cvxfreak

THE BOXCAR CHILDREN!

Loved them as a kid, the first one still holds a special place in me...

(Don't take this suggestion seriously)

way more

JackFrost2012 said:
Agatha Christie rocks, I love Poirot!!

Definitely check her out. She wrote mysteries back before detective stories all resembeled Hardy Boy stories. They're smart, it all comes together, and they keep you guessing. Also you can't be a dumbshit to read them.

Meier

Wtf CVXFREAK beat me to it. I was going to jokingly answer The Boxcar Children. :( Bastard! I read like 30+ of them as a kid.

mac said:
Definitely check her out. She wrote mysteries back before detective stories all resembeled Hardy Boy stories. They're smart, it all comes together, and they keep you guessing. Also you can't be a dumbshit to read them.

I don't like using those stupid acronyms, but dammit, IAWTP.

ElyrionX

The Da Vinci Code. Currently reading this book and its been great. Definitely one of the best books I have ever read.

Prospero

Mystery novels?

This list has a shameful lack of Raymond Chandler (The Big Sleep; The Long Goodbye), Dashiell Hammett (The Maltese Falcon) and Patricia Highsmith (The Talented Mr. Ripley).

Teh Hamburglar said:
Anyone read a book called "American Gods"?

Yes. I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman's novels, and American Gods might be his best work. And a good chunk of the story is set in my home state! :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Prospero said:
This list has a shameful lack of Raymond Chandler (The Big Sleep; The Long Goodbye), Dashiell Hammett (The Maltese Falcon) and Patricia Highsmith (The Talented Mr. Ripley).

Those are all awesome, but I don't really consider them "mysteries" ... they have mysteries in them, but they don't leave me guessing, wondering how it turns out. I read them more for the setting and characterization and tone. Agatha Christie books have all that, but they also have more of a driving WHODUNNIT feel that keeps me guessing and excited how it'll all turn out. That's why I recommended her, at least.

FnordChan

I've recently started reading mystery novels, in large part due to Laurie R. King. In addition to a handful of stand alone novels, she has two main series:

0553571656.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I picked up The Beekeeper's Apprentice on a whim at Spenser's Mystery Bookshop in Boston; I figured, if I'm in a mystery bookstore, I should walk out with a mystery. I'm very glad that I did, as I went on to consume the Mary Russell books in short order. The book is set during the first World War, where Holmes (yes, that Holmes) is retired, living in the countryside, and is thorughly bored, when he stumbles across a headstrong, damned intelligent teenage girl at loose ends. Like the title says, Holmes finds himself with an apprentice, and the results are fantastic, with Russell learning the tricks of the trade, helping solve mysteries, and providing for engrossing reading all around. Seven novels later, the series is still going strong. Don't worry, only a loose knowledge of the Holmes canon is necessary to appreciate the series, so don't feel like you have to go brush up on your Doyle before jumping in. I really can't recommend this book highly enough.

And, if you like those - or, if you're not sold on a Holmes pastiche - there's another excellent series by Laurie King:

0553573993.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is an impressive book all around; for a first novel, it's freakin' phenomenal. Kate Martinelli is a newly promoted detective in San Francisco, whose first major case turns out to be extremely rough - a serial child killer, dumping bodies at a low-tech community in the woods north of the City. Plenty of twists (both with the plot, the characters, and - to an extent - with Kate herself) make for a gripping contemporary proceedural. And, unlike the relatively light Mary Russell books, Martinelli's adventures tend to be far more on the bleak side. All in all, Martinelli kicks ass and the series is highly recommended.

I'm hardly a mystery expert - though I have a decent pile of novels at home that should give me a pretty good start - but I can still plug Laurie King's novels with absolute confidence that they'll be enjoyed by anyone, mystery newbie and old hand alike.

FnordChan

Vyse

Gold Member
American Gods rocked, but I enjoyed Neverwhere more. As far as Mystery stories, pick up the Dead Zone by Stephen King. Amazing book.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
mac said:
They're smart, it all comes together, and they keep you guessing.

Um. No.

iapetus' guide to all Agatha Christie stories:

1) If nobody's dead, but there's someone everyone has a motive to murder, they're not long for this world.

2) The one person who apparently did't have a motive/opportunity did it.

If you're after traditional detective storeys, I'd rather recommend the Lord Peter Wimsey books by Dorothy L Sayers (Murder Must Advertise was one of my favourites) and the Brother Cadfael books by Ellis Peters, which have a slightly less traditional setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom