• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What, are you listening to?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It's insane how much Turnstile have blown up this last year or so. So happy for them, deserved.

I have seen them mentioned a lot recently. I've been meaning to check them out. The singer in the song you shared sounds exactly like a dude from an older punk band but I can't place it off the top of my head. Either way, thanks for sharing.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I have seen them mentioned a lot recently. I've been meaning to check them out. The singer in the song you shared sounds exactly like a dude from an older punk band but I can't place it off the top of my head. Either way, thanks for sharing.

10 years ago I was watching them in dive bars, now they're on Jimmy Kimmel. Crazy how far they've come, they don't miss!

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

svFYV1O.jpg

RAÏSanÏa

Seeing the waxing gibbous Pink Moon passing the Beehive Cluster brought to mind another association with a cluster of stars - The King in Yellow and The Hyades.
Upon looking into them.
Age and proper motion coincide with those of the Hyades, suggesting they may share similar origins.[4][5] Both clusters also contain red giants and white dwarfs, which represent later stages of stellar evolution, along with many main sequence stars.

Ancient Greeks and Romans saw this object as a manger from which two donkeys, the adjacent stars Asellus Borealis and Asellus Australis, are eating; these are the donkeys that Dionysos and Silenus rode into battle against the Titans.

This perceived nebulous object is in the Ghost (Gui Xiu), the 23rd lunar mansion of ancient Chinese astrology. Ancient Chinese skywatchers saw this as a ghost or demon riding in a carriage and likened its appearance to a "cloud of pollen blown from willow catkins". It was also known by the somewhat less romantic name of Jishi qi (積屍氣, also transliterated Tseih She Ke), the "Exhalation of Piled-up Corpses".[15] It is also known simply as Jishi (積屍), "cumulative corpses".

As though the corpses in the first myth could be seen in second.

Astronomically:

Altogether, the cluster contains at least 1000 gravitationally bound stars, for a total mass of about 500–600 Solar masses.[7][11] A recent survey counts 1010 high-probability members, of which 68% are M dwarfs, 30% are Sun-like stars of spectral classes F, G, and K, and about 2% are bright stars of spectral class A.[7] Also present are five giant stars, four of which have spectral class K0 III and the fifth G0 III.[4][7][19]

So far, eleven white dwarfs have been identified, representing the final evolutionary phase of the cluster's most massive stars, which originally belonged to spectral type B.

The ancient Egyptians appear to call them the Stars of Water.
klXvlEK.png

RAÏSanÏa

Tori's version brings to mind the coldest depths of Hell with an ancient frozen unholy soul thawing under the fresh warm rain and singing praise at the opening of the skies.

Top Bottom