• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2013)

Geido

91EWTSOg1IL._SL1500_.jpg

For the Dance of the Dragons chapter for now, but I will read the entire book when that's finished.

Also reading:

The entire series, now at the final book. But I took a break the before mentioned book.

Interesting topic btw, subcribed!

Mumei

I'm still reading Shriek: An Afterword, but I also started the Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing. It's pretty great, and the influence on Sandman, especially Sandman's earlier issues, is really apparent.

Futureman

reading "Life of Pi" and as an agnostic it's kind of annoying ha, but I'm enjoying the book and really liked the movie so I'll finish.

Just finished "Still Life with Woodpecker" and loved that.

also reading a book on waste management called "Recycling Reconsidered."

I just finished the Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey. ★★★★ - Excellent read, complete with believable characters, great pacing, and tons of content packed into 500+ pages. I read the omnibus instead of individual entries and would suggest everyone tackle it that way. Very bleak, very dark, and very moving.

TTG

Finished The Silence of The Lambs, very good throughout. Doctor Lecter remains at least as fascinating a character in the original format, the crazies are creepy and the writing has a distinct flavor. I quite enjoyed it, will probably go back for another book from the series later, but for now it's on to:

419U6fpxvSL.jpg

Which is still 2.99 on amazon, by the way.

obin_gam

I just started Dune. It is slow as hell but I'm hoping it will get a better pace soon. Even if it feels boring, there is "something" there, in the story that makes me not want to stop reading it.

Hazmat

I read Leviathan Wakes over the Thanksgiving holiday, and I've moved on to John Dies at the End. It's been a busy week and I'm looking forward to getting into it more over the weekend.

Mastadon

Banned
Started reading 'The Book of Disquiet' but couldn't really get into it, so picked up:

Though ruled by British overlords, the Chinese of colonial Malaya still cling to ancient customs. And in the sleepy port town of Malacca, ghosts and superstitions abound.

Li Lan, the daughter of a genteel but bankrupt family, has few prospects. But fate intervenes when she receives an unusual proposal from the wealthy and powerful Lim family. They want her to become a ghost bride for the family's only son, who recently died under mysterious circumstances. Rarely practiced, a traditional ghost marriage is used to placate a restless spirit. Such a union would guarantee Li Lan a home for the rest of her days, but at a terrible price.

It's pretty poorly written to be honest, but the premise is interesting enough to keep me going for now.

fakefaker

Sadly finished off Saw Song by Robert R. McCammon, and I say sadly as it's one hell of an amazing book.

Now onto a book that has one of my fav covers and got me interested in the Ketty Jay series...The Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding.

9931820.jpg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The Forever War by Dexter Filkins - not the sci-fi. This is about the Afghan/Iraq wars by the NYT war correspondent. Amazing he's still alive after reading all of the things he saw.

Finished up 11/2263, and loved every minute of it. I really gotta check out some of Stephen King's other books. This was my first. I placed a hold on The Stand since my library has the eBook version. They have a pretty large selection of Stephen King eBooks, so that should keep me busy for a while.

For now, I started Steelheart. Not too far into it yet, but it seems interesting enough.

he6fKhh.jpg

Childhood's End ~ Arthur C. Clarke

It started off hestitantly with almost a video game cutscene structure to the dialogue as the setting wobbled to its feet presenting itself to the readers, but after the fourth or so chapter rockets forward and outward with terrifying and terrific speed and scope. The parallels between characters and their situations, of knowledge and hopelessness was profound and amazing.

Great sci-fi books should always tug at both the heart-strings and the "brain-strings" and this does both of that excellently.

Empty

finished billy lynn's long half-time walk. i thought it was pretty good. the ideas of exploring this brief period of banality between intense conflicts and the detachment of people's simplistic OUR BRAVE SOLDIERS platitudes and the dark (as well as crass) complex reality of actually being a soldier and fighting a war were very good. billy's narration was witty, psychologically interesting and engaging. the author does a very good job of making him feel real and sympathetic.

that said i don't think choosing to set it during one single match is that good. it's clever and makes for a good pitch but i liked the flashback to his family meeting a lot and would liked the have seen the book follow more of his journey round the country. while using an american football match to draw a comparison between how we as a society say that x people get to fight in a meaningless sport and are high paid celebrities and x get to fight in a real war where they have no power or significant reward is an interesting concept but not interesting enough to dwell on for an entire book.

Cdammen

Finally got my hands on Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park. It's fun making comparison of locales, events, and characters from the movie, and I love the tidbits of dinosaur facts. It's a great, pulpy read.

Wurst

Finally got my hands on Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park. It's fun making comparison of locales, events, and characters from the movie, and I love the tidbits of dinosaur facts. It's a great, pulpy read.

Finished it too. Very fast paced and fun read. Have to watch the movie sometime.

I'm on to The Last Unicorn

ShaneB

I'm nearing the half way point of 'A Prayer for Owen Meany', and really loving it for the most part. Just wish it was a bit more streamlined and didn't meander so much. So many great quotes already.

Necrovex

11297.jpg

This was simply amazing. I loved everything about this novel. Murakami for life. Now I have to read Wind-Up Bird Chronicles...but I want to branch out a little bit. After some thought, I decided on:

91017.jpg

Also a quick question, I want to pick up my friend/boss a X-mas present. He loves books. He is really into 20th century novels, which I am not too familiar with. He loves Tennessee Williams, and he owns a lot of books concerning Ireland, Egypt, and he owns a lot of plays. Does anyone have any advice of what I could get him?

Jag

Just started the Steve Jobs biography. Really interesting. I knew he was an ass, but didn't realize what a prick he could be. Still, he helped create a revolution so it's pretty fascinating to read the origins.

Grudy

Andrzej_Sapkowski_-_The_Last_Wish.jpg

Never played the witcher games; but I did find this by chance in my university's library and with all the witcher 3 hype I thought I'd give it a shot. Very interesting so far.

George R.R. Martin's Clash of Kings

I got in on the series late, but god damn am I glad. Thrilled every page of every book so far.

Do you have thoughts about The World Without Us? Friend keeps recommending it, but I hesitate.

Bazza

I'm on the the final 2 full length Sharpe books now, Finished Sharpe's Revenge last night and started Sharpe's Waterloo cant wait to see how Sharpe deals with
Lord Rossendale and the bitch Mrs Sharpe

Once again I am sad, I am coming to the end of another book series, that will be The Culture, Discworld and Sharpe read this year. Need to start thinking on what to attack next.

I think it was Mumei who suggested this to me after I posted about really enjoying The Left Hand of Darkness.

I'm about half way through it. To be honest, I'm not enjoying it as much as I did TLHoD. I feel like Le Guin allows the themes of the book to hijack the narrative far too often and the themes themselves aren't as well explored as they are in TLHoD. I'll probably finish the book over the next two days, but I feel like I'm reading a melting pot of political philosophy rather than a thoughtful scifi novel.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think it was Mumei who suggested this to me after I posted about really enjoying The Left Hand of Darkness.

I'm about half way through it. To be honest, I'm not enjoying it as much as I did TLHoD. I feel like Le Guin allows the themes of the book to hijack the narrative far too often and the themes themselves aren't as well explored as they are in TLHoD. I'll probable finish the book over the next two days, but I feel like I'm reading a melting pot of political philosophy rather than a thoughtful scifi book.

It's more an intellectual exercise on how a truly communist society might function, with some sci-fi flavorings.

(And indeed, one of its most critical points is that a communist society cannot really exist without a certain level of technology and progressiveness of thought, which our real life communist parties never possessed.)

Jag

I'm on the the final 2 full length Sharpe books now, Finished Sharpe's Revenge last night and started Sharpe's Waterloo cant wait to see how Sharpe deals with
Lord Rossendale and the bitch Mrs Sharpe

I was a little burnt out after reading every.single.Sharpe book. They really became so predictable and similar. You can actually say that about most of Cornwell's writing though even though I still enjoy it.

I'm about half way through it. To be honest, I'm not enjoying it as much as I did TLHoD. I feel like Le Guin allows the themes of the book to hijack the narrative far too often and the themes themselves aren't as well explored as they are in TLHoD. I'll probably finish the book over the next two days, but I feel like I'm reading a melting pot of political philosophy rather than a thoughtful scifi novel.

I agree. TLHoD is infinitely better than The Dispossessed. TLHoD has this poetic quality that is really mesmerizing.
I would suggest The Lathe of Heaven - it's her ode to Philip K. Dick (her old high school classmate in Berkeley).

ShaneB

Andrzej_Sapkowski_-_The_Last_Wish.jpg

Never played the witcher games; but I did find this by chance in my university's library and with all the witcher 3 hype I thought I'd give it a shot. Very interesting so far.

I'm not sure I'll ever get around to playing the games (maybe someday), but I think I would enjoy the books.

How is everyones "favourite books of the year" shaping up? I'm having a hell of a time trimming it down to a top 5.

Nezumi

Finished:

Taltos.jpg

I really like this series more and more. At the beginning I was a bit annoyed that this was yet again a prequel because after the end of the third book, I really wanted to know how the story goes on, but in the end this one might just be my favorite so far together with book one. It was nice to see some of the background stories that were only mentioned in passing so far fleshed out more and learn yet again a bit more about the world Brust has created. How I still ended up with more questions than answers though is a little beyond me, but is also something I enjoy since it keeps me want to read on. Which makes the six days I have to yet to wait until my audible credit refreshes even harder :(

Currently I'm reading:

blacklung.jpg

12% in and I like it just as much, if not more than the first one. Fast paced and funny. The ideal book to read without having to think very much.

How is everyones "favourite books of the year" shaping up? I'm having a hell of a time trimming it down to a top 5.

Kinda cheating, but so far

Replay
The Queen's Gambit
Chaos Walking Trilogy (Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and the Answer, Monsters of Men)
Galactic Football (The Rookie, The Starter, The All Pro, The MVP)
The Sisters Brothers

Trying to finish up The Abominable so I can maybe squeeze Memoirs of an Invisible Friend in there, but have been busy.

EDIT: Ah shit, forgot The Broken Empire Trilogy (Prince of Thorns, King of Thorns, Emperor of Thorns) Definitely in my top 5. Will probably knock off The Sisters Brothers.

ShaneB

Kinda cheating, but so far

Replay
The Queen's Gambit
Chaos Walking Trilogy (Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and the Answer, Monsters of Men)
Galactic Football (The Rookie, The Starter, The All Pro, The MVP)
The Sisters Brothers

Trying to finish up The Abominable so I can maybe squeeze Memoirs of an Invisible Friend in there, but have been busy.

Not cheating, I was going to include the Expanse books most likely, or at least Leviathan Wakes (with a side note saying the 3 books, etc etc). Solid list, I'm still debating if Replay and Sisters Brothers gets on mine. I think those Galactic Football books sound pretty fun too, so I need to read those. I think those Ketty Jay books will be my christmas read instead, they do sound like a lot of fun.

And yes, read Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend asap =)

Bazza

I was a little burnt out after reading every.single.Sharpe book. They really became so predictable and similar. You can actually say that about most of Cornwell's writing though even though I still enjoy it.

Definitely predictable books, there is a battle or 2, Sharpe gets himself an enemy, destroys the enemy and lives happily for a few weeks.

I have still enjoyed them though and as i have pretty much gone through the series in just under 3 weeks i have Sharpe on the brain and when i focus on reading or watching just 1 thing over a week or more it seeps into my dreams, i have been having some pretty awesome dreams.

Blew through:

415QsBXth6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-62,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Saunders is just...wow. Might immediately read it again. I've seen people knock him for never writing longer than a short story, but hell, if Alice Munro can win the Nobel with short stories...

Now blowing through:

51zGtpQZ6FL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-66,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I still think Tillman was a idiot for enlisting (as opposed to going to OCS), but good good was everything around him a complete clusterfuck...

Not cheating, I was going to include the Expanse books most likely, or at least Leviathan Wakes (with a side note saying the 3 books, etc etc). Solid list, I'm still debating if Replay and Sisters Brothers gets on mine. I think those Galactic Football books sound pretty fun too, so I need to read those. I think those Ketty Jay books will be my christmas read instead, they do sound like a lot of fun.

And yes, read Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend asap =)

Yeah the Galactic Football books are really good, though they tend to get more and more away from the game as the series progresses and more into the universe that Sigler created which is pretty badass. I would personally save them for the offseason when you're feeling the itch.

Been thinking about reading those Ketty Jay books over the break as well. Bought the first couple a few months ago and have been meaning to get to them.

Nezumi

It's hart. I just went through my list from the 50/50 thread and wrote down any book that qualifies for a Top 5 spot... I ended up with 12 books.
Even if I only name one book to represent an entire series I still end up with seven or eight books:(
Anyway let's try:

The Price of Spring - Daniel Abrahams
Caliban's War - James S.A. Corey
Old Tin Sorrows - Glen Cook
Rise of Empire - Michael J. Sullivan
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut

If I had to pick one of these as a winner it would probably be Caliban's War. Though even as I typed this I feel bad for the other books :D

The year isn't over yet, though. Still have the second Ketty Jay book and The Lies of Lock Lamora on my to read list.

Edit: And not to forget Raising Steam... though I'm not really impressed thus far.

You know how I've dithered on this as the year went on. I'm going to list my favorite books I've read this year, not necessarily books that were released this year. Only one of these was a 2013 release.

1) Glen Cook - The Black Company (1984)
2) James S.A. Corey - Leviathan Wakes (2011)
3) Ben Fountain - Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (2012)
4) Naoki Higashida - The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism (2013)
5) Peter S. Beagle - The Last Unicorn (1968)

Honorable mentions:
R. J. Palacio - Wonder (2012)
James S.A. Corey - The other Expanse books
Robert Louis Stevenson - The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Nezumi

You know how I've dithered on this as the year went on. I'm going to list my favorite books I've read this year, not necessarily books that were released this year.

Oh, it didn't even cross my mind once to only pick books from this year. I think the only book I read this year that would qualify in this case is Abaddons Gate...

ShaneB

Yeah the Galactic Football books are really good, though they tend to get more and more away from the game as the series progresses and more into the universe that Sigler created which is pretty badass. I would personally save them for the offseason when you're feeling the itch.

Been thinking about reading those Ketty Jay books over the break as well. Bought the first couple a few months ago and have been meaning to get to them.

Yeah, I will save those Galactic Football books for the off season, perhaps I'll try and read one a month =). The Ketty Jay books just sound like great fun adventures, which would be perfect for christmas vacation, but we'll see.

You know how I've dithered on this as the year went on. I'm going to list my favorite books I've read this year, not necessarily books that were released this year. Only one of these was a 2013 release.

Great list too bud, and yes, I never meant books released in 2013 =) Just whatever your favourites you've READ this year, whenever they were released!

Top Bottom