• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2013)

Mumei

Salvor.Hardin, sorry you didn't enjoy The Dispossessed more. :(

How is everyones "favourite books of the year" shaping up? I'm having a hell of a time trimming it down to a top 5.

A top five? Impossible! I had trouble narrowing it down this much. I didn't count Lolita since I've read it before, but it'd definitely be on otherwise.

Fiction:

• Shriek: An Afterword, by Jeff VanderMeer
  • But Beautiful: A Book About Jazz, by Geoff Dyer
  • Dubliners, by James Joyce
  • The Story of the Stone, by Cao Xueqin
  • Metamorphoses, by Ovid
  • The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison
  • Invisible Cities, by Italo Calvino
  • Hyperion, by Dan Simmons
  • Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert
  • The Silmarillion, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Non-Fiction:

• Bel Canto: A History of Vocal Pedagogy, by James Stark
  • The Assoluta Voice in Opera, 1797 - 1847, by Geoffrey S. Riggs
  • The Complete Dinosaur, edited by by Michael K. Brett-Surman , Thomas R. Holtz Jr., James O. Farlow
  • Mortal Sins: Sex, Crime, and the Era of Catholic Scandal, by Michael D'Antonio
  • Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945, by Tony Judt
  • Rape is Rape: How Denial, Distortion, and Victim Blaming are Fueling a Hidden Acquaintance Rape Crisis, by Jody Raphael
  • Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference, by Cordelia Fine
  • Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin, by Timothy Snyder
  • The Reformation: A History, by Diarmaid MacCulloch
  • The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs Are Smarter Than You Think, by Brian Hare

Comics / Manga:

• Planetary, by Warren Ellis
  • Saga, by Brian K. Vaughan
  • Saga of the Swamp Thing, by Alan Moore
  • Lucifer, by Mike Carey
  • Sharaz-De, by Sergio Toppi

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Let's see... here's what I read for 2013.

Wool
Shift Trilogy
Bless me, Ultima
A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle)
The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle)
The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle)
Tehanu: Book Four (Earthsea Cycle)
The Other Wind (The Earthsea Cycle)
Tales from Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle)
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy
Brokeback Mountain
Soldier of the Mist
Book of the New Sun (technically one book)
The Urth of the New Sun
The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents
Wintersmith
A Hat Full of Sky
I Shall Wear Midnight
The Dispossessed
Every Day
Six Earlier Days
The Lover's Dictionary
Blood of Tyrants
Dust
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (although I only read about 10% before giving up)
If on a winter's night a traveler
Two Boys Kissing
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Bel Canto
Crime and Punishment
Pride and Prejudice
The Count of Monte Cristo
Don Quixote (unfinished)
Art of War (unfinished)

Final list in no particular order:

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Dispossessed
Two Boys Kissing
Pride and Prejudice

Empty

top five i read for the first time this year?

looking through my 50/50 list. probably.

pnin by vladimir nabokov
code of the woosters by p.g wodehouse
nine stories by j.d salinger
the quiet american by graham greene
the easter parade by richard yates

still a few more weeks of reading though

ShaneB

A top five? Impossible! I had trouble narrowing it down this much. I didn't count Lolita since I've read it before, but it'd definitely be on otherwise.

Hey, I never said you folks had to limit your lists to 5! :p A top five is just what I'm sticking with.

Larsa

5 Cool Books You Wouldn't Believe I Read This Year:

Infinite Jest
Moby Dick
The Sound of Waves
The Stars My Destination
The Old Man and the Sea

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
My top five for the year:

1. Edie: An American Biography by Jean Stein
2. Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
3. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith AKA JK Rowling
4. Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls by Jane Lindskold
5. Carrie by Stephen King

Loved the Edie biography. It couldn't have been any more comprehensive.

Piecake

Based on it being mentioned a few times in this thread, I read the Kindle version of this, and enjoyed it. I think the two Outfliers are my favorite characters. Kinda 1 dimensional but entertaining,

Pretty much my feelings on the book. The characters were quirky and fun, but lacked depth, so I got bored reading about them, and the story or writing were decent.

I am not sad that I read it, but I doubt I will be reading the second.

As for top 5, god, I really can't remember what all ive read this year.

Perhaps I should start keeping a list...

huxley00

Just finished up Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" and enjoyed it quite a bit. I really enjoyed the brief insights into the history of the planet, sciences and our understanding of ourselves and the universe. Although, I did find it a bit depressing at parts. The wall of FTL space travel and the inability of humans to survive outside our own ecosphere makes future prospects a bit unlikely :(

mu cephei

How is everyones "favourite books of the year" shaping up? I'm having a hell of a time trimming it down to a top 5.

This makes me realise I've been really lazy with reading this year. I mean sure I've read more books than last year, but they've been pretty mediocre books. I haven't been bothered to put the effort into books where the payoff would be higher. Also I didn't finish a single non-fiction book all year (I'm stalled on several). Terrible. My goal for next year is to read at least 5.

The only two that really stand out are Lolita by Nabokov and The Outsider by Camus. I did read two Steinbeck books - Burning Bright and Cannery Row, and I'm very much looking forward to reading the rest of his books. Also One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn was pretty good. As was Blueback by Tim Winton. The only SFF worth mentioning is Dark Eden by Chris Beckett, which was really good but after reading Beckett's blog and another book by him, I think I gave it a pass on some issues I probably shouldn't have.

The thing with half of the above books is they made me see the world in a different way, which is one of the best things about books. Speaking of, I'm reading Siddhartha at the moment and it's pretty good.

thomaser

Haven't read so many books this year, so it's not very hard to make a top 5:

- 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
- 2666 by Roberto Bolano
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
- Tunnel Vision by Sara Paretsky
- Volomari Volotinens First Wife and Other Old Things by Arto Paasilinna

Meteorain

I finished Starship Troopers last night. Really fun read, nothing like I expected of it (I blame the movie - which is great-).

I have thus picked up and begun:

A_Fire_Upon_the_Deep.bookcover.jpg

I'm liking the concept of it so far, but have a bit of trouble grasping the imagery of certain things. I feel a little lost at times, but I think your initial exposure to certain elements is supposed to be that way.

tmarques

Just finished

thehouseofmirth_pic.jpg

Cried like a baby. I knew it would have a depressing ending being Edith Wharton and all, but sheesh. And like with The Scarlet Letter,
I hate it when the author wants us to sympathise with a cowardly, hypocritical character who in the last analysis is resposible for the sh*t that takes place.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
About 70% through A Feast for Crows.

Hmmm... I see now why some people (especially those who waited years after the third one) were so disappointed with this book. I'm enjoying it, but facts are facts: compared to the first three books very little seems to happen. Honestly, it barely feels like the plot's moved forward much. And yet, I'm still cruising through it because by now I'm so invested in the characters and story that it takes no effort for me to sit down and read 100 pages to see what happens next (in fact, I think I'm going through Feast faster than any of the other three lol). The "Oh, shit!" moments that were so prevalent in the first three books are sadly few and far between in this one. I'm really curious to see if A Dance with Dragons returns to the quality of the first three or if it continues to plod a bit like Feast.

huxley00

I finished Starship Troopers last night. Really fun read, nothing like I expected of it (I blame the movie - which is great-).

I'm liking the concept of it so far, but have a bit of trouble grasping the imagery of certain things. I feel a little lost at times, but I think your initial exposure to certain elements is supposed to be that way.

Ohhhh, I read that last year...it can be a bit tough to grasp, especially early on. About a third of the way through, it gets much better I think and much easier to understand. Some of the best aliens of any book or series I have read as well. Enjoy!

Masenkame

I never post these on time.

Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon: Writing about a Pynchon novel is a dreadful prospect. The novel is a detective story set in New York City before, during, after the September 11th attacks, with the backdrop of the dot-com bubble crash informing the story. An unassuming first chapter is followed by a second which starts with all-consuming paranoia, dumb puns and silly humor, tons of late 90s and early 00s nerd/pop culture references, and dramatic irony as the reader watches the planes creep ever closer.

This book'll get you smiling. You got characters talking about Jewish Psyducks, Beanie Baby obsessions, Quake machinima, programming language wars, the musical theme from Deus Ex, Hideo Kojma's genius, Razor scooters, search engines like AltaVista, and Britney Spears. Plenty more on the nose and semi-obscure stuff from the historical record and elsewhere as well, as well as plenty of fictional stuff that might just be real.

Pynchon wraps it all together with a love letter to New York and conspiracies all around. A bunch of ethnic language in the novel, usually Yiddish, adds flavor and strife. There's a Metaverse type of software in the novel, reminding me of Snow Crash, and Pynchon stealing from Stephenson who was already copping Pynchon.

Of course you have the Proper Pynchonian Bits (PPB), the paragraphs that fill a page and build a world, the long sentences that seem to meander and maybe they do, and touching prose that affirms and rejects humanity. There a plenty of characters and perhaps not enough characterization. The plot goes every which way, and there are no real answers to be found.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch: With the release of the third novel in this lauded series, it was time to check out some of this “Ocean's 11 fantasy.” The novel's got good world building and interesting plot strands that converge, with some fun characters. It gets pretty dark as well, well into the meat of the novel, giving you quite a surprise with its type of brutality. A complaint I have with the novel is with the characterization. You get a few POVs in the novel, and there's barely any internal life at all to these people. The dialogue and the actions do enough to establish the character, but there's an emptiness to the characters as well. The interludes/flashbacks try and build up the main few characters, but it's done too often, usually acting poorly as exposition and motivation for the next chapter. Regardless, I'll be checking out the sequels.

The Gunslinger by Stephen King: An intriguing first line, in this series of short stories making up the first The Dark Tower novel, draws you in. The prose is somewhat interesting at first, but I grew weary of it pretty quickly. The novel is not a great start to this series, though the final part caught my attention, so I'm intrigued and will continue.

Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth, Mike Dringenberg, and Malcolm Jones III: My first go at Gaiman, and I like what I see so far. It's a somewhat uneven first glimpse at this series, as Gaiman admits in the afterword, but I hear wonderful things about the rest. Dream is an interesting guy, and there's some cool antagonists and partners. I enjoyed the changing types of paneling and the weird and strange artwork.

More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon: My first foray into Sturgeon's work, and I'm intrigued by the great prose and his examination of humanity's foibles and real flaws, individuality, morality and tragedy. Sturgeon is thought of as one of the first literary science-fiction writers, which is made apparent by the flowing prose and focus on characters. Not much of a plot here which goes off the rails by the end, and the novel also continues my bemusement with mid-century speculative fiction's seeming obsession with telekinesis and other psychic abilities.

I'm thinking I might start Gun, With Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem tonight.

I really liked these past two novels. I enjoyed the focus on characters and world building, as well as Martin upping his prose game. If you're looking for plot you'll be disappointed as theres only some in these novels, especially with things edited out due to length. There's plenty of stuff that does happen, but it's just not plot heavy.

Mifune

Mehmber
Blew through:

415QsBXth6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-62,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Saunders is just...wow. Might immediately read it again. I've seen people knock him for never writing longer than a short story, but hell, if Alice Munro can win the Nobel with short stories...

My favorite book of the year by a wide margin. The title story just slayed me.

Other favorite was Gravity's Rainbow but that was a re-read so it doesn't really count.

I've only read 10 books this year, so picking a top 5 is a little tough, mostly because I don't think I've picked the best books. I'll throw three of them on the list that I gave 4 stars on goodreads.

1. The Stress of Her Regard, Tim Powers
2. The Last Kingdom, Bernard Cornwell (also read the next two in the series and enjoyed them)
3. I Am Legend, Richard Matheson

11162684-large.jpg

Finished Gone Girl. Very fun read I'll check out her previous two books. I just wish the second half hadn't let me down.

horns_joe-hill.jpg

Only a few chapters into Horns and I'm already hooked.

Mumei

Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth, Mike Dringenberg, and Malcolm Jones III: My first go at Gaiman, and I like what I see so far. It's a somewhat uneven first glimpse at this series, as Gaiman admits in the afterword, but I hear wonderful things about the rest. Dream is an interesting guy, and there's some cool antagonists and partners. I enjoyed the changing types of paneling and the weird and strange artwork.[/URL]

Oh, you're in for a treat. Sandman is my favorite comic and I don't see that changing.

Holiday

Banned
I don't think I've posted in one of these threads before, but I saw favorites of the year lists so I thought I'd share.

- James Sweet, Domingos Álvares, African Healing, and the Intellectual History of the Atlantic World
- Mike Davis, Late Victorian Holocausts: El Niño Famines and the Making of the Third World
- Susan Buck-Morss, Hegel, Haiti, and Universal History
- Bruce Chatwin, The Songlines
- Martin Jay, The Dialectical Imagination
- Svetlana Boym, Common Places: Mythologies of Everyday Life in Russia

[*]Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945, by Tony Judt

I'll have to read this one sooner or later. Any impressions? I've read some of Judt's later writings, and am interested in how they compare to that one.

My favorites in no particular order.
  • A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
  • Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
  • The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
  • A Canticle for Leibowitz by Watler Miller Jr.
  • Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan
Worst book I read this year.
  • Under the Dome by Stephen King

Nymerio

I'm really bad at making these lists, but here's what I liked most this year:

• Garrett P.I. I can't single out one book of the series, I loved every single one of them.
  • Gone Girl
  • Ship of Fools
  • Changes and Cold Days from the Dresden Files
  • The Last Unicorn

Some honorable mentions: The Daylight War, Emperor of Thorns, Legion, Pattern Recognition

The worst book I've read is probably Gardens of the Moon from the Malazan Book of the Fallen. It was just such a chore to get through but I really liked the rest of the series. The ending to the series left me disappointed though.

I've now started The Bloodline Feud.

51Rg-mNjprL.jpg

This may be the last book I'll read this year. After that I'm going to start putting together a list of books I want to read next year.

Quake1028

Top 5 TPB's
Thor: God of Thunder Volume 1
Saga Volume 1
The Manhattan Projects Volume 1
Hawkeye Volume 1
We3

I have 5 more books currently planned for this year so my novels list will change. This list should be final.

Burger

Exactly!

Sotha Sil

Hey book-GAF, I really want to read a Ursula Le Guin book, is The Left Hand of Darkness a good choice? Sounds pretty great.

Krowley

Hmmm... I see now why some people (especially those who waited years after the third one) were so disappointed with this book. I'm enjoying it, but facts are facts: compared to the first three books very little seems to happen. Honestly, it barely feels like the plot's moved forward much. And yet, I'm still cruising through it because by now I'm so invested in the characters and story that it takes no effort for me to sit down and read 100 pages to see what happens next (in fact, I think I'm going through Feast faster than any of the other three lol). The "Oh, shit!" moments that were so prevalent in the first three books are sadly few and far between in this one. I'm really curious to see if A Dance with Dragons returns to the quality of the first three or if it continues to plod a bit like Feast.

I had about the same experience reading A Feast for Crows (liked it but became impatient at times) and personally I thought ADWD was a definite return to form. It may not be the best book in the series, but the flow of the story was back on track, and it certainly left me very excited for the next one.

My Top five, in no particular order:

1984 - George Orwell
Kafka on the Shore - Murakami
The Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
The Lady in the Lake - Raymond Chandler
The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels

My Top five, in no particular order:

1984 - George Orwell
Kafka on the Shore - Murakami
The Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
The Lady in the Lake - Raymond Chandler
The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels

You read some great books for the first time this year. Awesome list.

So I'm going to try to make this the last book of the year for me. Thought about padding my 50/50 score a little more but screw it.

I've enjoyed every other Stephenson book I've read and even though its one is 1000+ pages my progression is going smoothly.

argon

61EGdtmHbhL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Currently reading a couple Gene Wolfe novels. The Fifth Head of Cerberus is 3 novellas by the author set in the same world(s) with stories that relate to each other. The overarching theme is identity. I am currently on the second story, having thoroughly enjoyed the first. Wolfe has an uncanny ability to drop a word or phrase later in the text which completely alters the context of what you have just read. It's a challenge, but also a delight, to read his works.

51LduIWzxDL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I am also planning on reading The Land Across, the latest novel by Wolfe. It's about a travel guide author who enters an obscure country in Europe and is immediately detained there. I've read a bit of it so far and the style is definitely different from the other works I have read (Book of the New Sun). Apparently the main protagonist (and narrator) is not very good writer, because Wolfe uses an informal, common vernacular.

Voror

Haven't read as much as last year unfortunately. Right now I'm reading The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross, which I'm quite liking.

After that I'm not sure. I may continue onto the next in that series, read the new Stormlight Archive book which I believe is out soon, or perhaps re-read The Rook which is one of those books I can read many times and still quite enjoy.

So I'm going to try to make this the last book of the year me. Thought about padding my 50/50 score a little more but screw it.

I've enjoyed every other Stephenson book I've read and even though its one is 1000+ pages my progression is going smoothly.

Loved Reamde!

f0rk

The kids in Clockwork Orange get up to some real shit at the beginning, fuck. I'm not that deep yet, how faithful is the film?

Ratrat

My top 5(I've only read a pathetic 38 number)
In no particular order:

Lolita
Wicked
Light
Moab is my Washpot

Mifune

Mehmber
Reamde was a lot of fun but I missed being perplexed. What I love about reading Stephenson is trying and failing to wrap my head around difficult scientific/philosophical concepts, and Reamde was pretty much a straight-ahead thriller...though a good one.

Reamde was a lot of fun but I missed being perplexed. What I love about reading Stephenson is trying and failing to wrap my head around difficult scientific/philosophical concepts, and Reamde was pretty much a straight-ahead thriller...though a good one.

It's no Snow Crash, but then again nothing else is. The Stephenson that wrote that (and, to a lesser extent, Cryptonomicon) is no more.

Mifune

Mehmber
It's no Snow Crash, but then again nothing else is. The Stephenson that wrote that (and, to a lesser extent, Cryptonomicon) is no more.

Actually I was thinking of his more recent stuff. Anathem is probably his most difficult, perplexing book, and that's why I love it. And coming off the Baroque Cycle, oh boy...that's like four thousand pages of intense reading all together. So Reamde felt like a lighter, easier read, a palette cleanser for Stephenson before he really dives into his next major work. Can't wait to see what that is!

But I agree that the guy that wrote Snow Crash is no more.

Actually I was thinking of his more recent stuff. Anathem is probably his most difficult, perplexing book, and that's why I love it. And coming off the Baroque Cycle, oh boy...that's like four thousand pages of intense reading all together. So Reamde felt like a lighter, easier read, a palette cleanser for Stephenson before he really dives into his next major work. Can't wait to see what that is!

But I agree that the guy that wrote Snow Crash is no more.

I actually haven't read the Baroque stuff. Seems...daunting. Was it worth it?

Bazza

Finished Sharpe's Devil last night, It wasn't to bad but not the best of the best. Dunno what to read now but i'm tempted to take a week or 2 away from reading, read a ridiculous number of books this year, thinks that's all of them below.

Mercury Falls
Mercury Rises
Mercury Rests

Against a Dark Background
Feersum Endjinn
The Algebraist

Consider Phlebas
The Player of Games
Use of Weapons
Excession
Inversions
Look to Windward
Matter
Surface Detail
The Hydrogen Sonata

A Game of Thrones (2nd read)
A Clash of Kings (2nd read)
A Storm of Swords (2nd read)
A Feast for Crows (2nd read)
A Dance with Dragons (2nd read)

The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Equal Rites
Mort
Sourcery
Wyrd Sisters
Pyramids
Guards! Guards!
Faust Eric
Moving Pictures
Reaper Man
Witches Abroad
Small Gods
Lords and Ladies
Men at Arms
Theatre of Cruelty
Soul Music
Interesting Times
Maskerade
Feet of Clay
Hogfather
Jingo
The Last Continent
Carpe Jugulum
The Fifth Elephant
The Science of Discworld
The Truth
Thief of Time
The Last Hero
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents
Night Watch
The Science of Discworld II: The Globe
The Wee Free Men
The New Discworld Companion
Monstrous Regiment
A Hat Full of Sky
Going Postal
Thud!
The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch
Wintersmith
The Post Office Diary
Making Money
Unseen Academicals
I Shall Wear Midnight
Snuff
The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day
Raising Steam

The Dark Side of the Sun
Strata

Bones of the Lost

Temeraire
Throne of Jade
Black Powder WarEmpire of Ivory
Victory of Eagles
Tongues of Serpents
Crucible of Gold
Blood of Tyrants

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis

Frozen Heat
Deadly Heat

Sharpe's Tiger
Sharpe's Triumph
Sharpe's Fortress
Sharpe's Trafalgar
Sharpe's Prey
Sharpe's Rifles
Sharpe's Havoc
Sharpe's Eagle
Sharpe's Gold
Sharpe's Escape
Sharpe's Fury
Sharpe's Battle
Sharpe's Company
Sharpe's Sword
Sharpe's Skirmish
Sharpe's Enemy
Sharpe's Honour
Sharpe's Regiment
Sharpe's Christmas
Sharpe's Siege
Sharpe's Revenge
Sharpe's Waterloo
Sharpe's Ransom
Sharpe's Devil

Honestly don't think i could pick a top 5 out of all those.

Jag

Finished Rubicon. Very interesting book. The Hardcore History podcast Death Throes of the Empire drew heavily on it. I'm tempted to read Simon Baker's Ancient Rome now, but I'm also curious about the post Julius Ceaser Roman world as well.

Also finished
Tyrants_Law_Daniel_Abraham.jpeg

Which was as good as the others in the serious. I really like Geder as a character...but I don't want to spoil him for people who haven't read the Dagger and Coin series yet.
I find it fascinating that he's so evil without meaning to be that way. He's almost like a petulant child who is learning he can get whatever he wants.

Jenga

Banned
Finished Rubicon. Very interesting book. The Hardcore History podcast Death Throes of the Empire drew heavily on it.

Not gonna lie, I almost think there's no real point in reading Rubicon because Dan Carlin essentially covers everything. Not that it stopped me, but whatever.

ShaneB

The Length of Reamde is incredibly daunting, but if it's a fairly straight-ahead thriller, I'll definitely check it out sometime, since the premise sounds pretty awesome.

Finished Sharpe's Devil last night, It wasn't to bad but not the best of the best. Dunno what to read now but i'm tempted to take a week or 2 away from reading, read a ridiculous number of books this year, thinks that's all of them below.

Looks like you're one book away from hitting 100 on the year. You know what you must do.

I've read 56 and set a new record for me. I could never almost double that.

The Length of Reamde is incredibly daunting, but if it's a fairly straight-ahead thriller, I'll definitely check it out sometime, since the premise sounds pretty awesome.

It was a quick read and I found it very fun. There was one minor portion in the middle that lost a bit of steam for me, but overall I really dug it. Then again, Cryptonomicon is even longer and I couldn't put that down. Stephenson's writing style really appeals to me.

Top Bottom