• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2013)

Jintor

Finished Rubicon. Very interesting book. The Hardcore History podcast Death Throes of the Empire drew heavily on it. I'm tempted to read Simon Baker's Ancient Rome now, but I'm also curious about the post Julius Ceaser Roman world as well.

I love Rubicorn, although my first introduction to Republican Rome was Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. It's less good when I go back now, but still an amazing work.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Bill Gates just published the best reads he had for 2013. It seems very genuine

Each of the books on the list below taught me something I didn’t know. How shipping containers helped cut the cost of moving goods between Asia and North America by roughly half. How refined tools for measurement laid the groundwork for the invention of the steam engine. How we’re dangerously overfishing cod, tuna, and other species.

More generally, these books tell amazing stories of human ingenuity. It is this ingenuity that helps explain why the world keeps getting better, and why at the end of each year I look forward to the next one with hope and optimism.

http://www.thegatesnotes.com/Personal/Best-Books-2013?WT.mc_id=12_12_2013_GreatReads

Herne

I've not been reading at all lately which I feel really bad over, so I've gone back to some of the books I have yet to finish and have resumed from where I left off. So I am catching up on -

41xGVRoiT1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-68,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

The Carthaginians - Peoples of the Ancient World by Dexter Hoyos.

irondukevk4.jpg

Wellington: The Iron Duke, by Richard Holmes.

512vcWK1mkL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

Spying on Ireland: British Intelligence and Irish Neutrality during the Second World War by Eunan O'Halpin.

And I just picked this up, will read it as soon as I have finished with the others -

400000000000000693591_s4.jpg

In Destiny's Hands: Five Tragic Rulers, Children of Maria Theresa by Justin C. Vovk.

I really should start reading some fiction again, but I have a good list ahead of me for now.

Jintor

Finally finished Strange & Norrell. Definitely picked up after the first 500 pages but... god damn that was a slog until then. Still not sure if it was entirely worth it.

ToxiMoxi

Neo Member
1ld.jpg

Love & Decay Episode 10 :]

"Love and Decay, Episode Ten, is the tenth in a novella series in a Dystopian Romance about Zombies, the end of the world and finding someone to share it with. "

Cannot hype enough for this series & author :]

Piecake

I really should start reading some history again. Got kind of sick of it (majored in it), but now am feeling that itch, though I think ill gravitate more towards the entertaining narrative history instead of the academic analysis books.

If you have any recommendations besides the ones already mentioned in this thread, I am all ears.

I don't usually read sci-fi, but I finished Starship Troopers this week.
ceFpCs7.jpg

I liked it a lot. It's interesting to compare to the film, which I also like a lot.

I'm going to start The Forever War this weekend, which I've heard serves as kind of a counterpoint to Starship Troopers.
ymiajd9.jpg

Mumei

Yeah, it's part of the graphic canon for some reason right? Prices on the trades went up, so I'll wait a little bit before delving in.

It is! I think its status has something to do with a combination of popularity (at its peak it was the best-selling comic running for DC, at least) and reputation for high quality writing (with an involuted and literary serialized story) both outside of the comics circle and within it. It's also unusual for an American comic for being one of those properties where, despite being extremely popular, ended when the writer stopped writing it.

Some of the praise can get a bit too fulsome, at least from my perspective, but it does deserve [almost] all of the accolades it has received.

Piecake

It is! I think its status has something to do with a combination of popularity (at its peak it was the best-selling comic running for DC, at least) and reputation for high quality writing (with an involuted and literary serialized story) both outside of the comics circle and within it. It's also unusual for an American comic for being one of those properties where, despite being extremely popular, ended when the writer stopped writing it.

Some of the praise can get a bit too fulsome, at least from my perspective, but it does deserve [almost] all of the accolades it has received.

Your avatar looks very sinister with that reindeer hood on. Its like he is planning on doing evil things to me

ShaneB

Looks like I will finish 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' this evening after work. Looking to be gearing towards a very strong 4/5. Will see how the ending plays with my emotions.

EDIT: Just finished it actually, the last 5-10 percent was acknowledgements/previews/etc. Definitely got teary eyed and probably would've cried if I had not been at work. Still torn on if it's a 4 or a 5. I'll write a goodreads review later with my thoughts.

Then it's to decide what to start next, those 4 Ketty Jay books would definitely tide me over from now until the new year I think, so those are high on the list.

A Dog's Purpose is also one of the Kindle Daily Deals today, I picked that up.

Linkhero1

Finishing up Guards! Guards! then I'm moving onto the Dark Tower series.

I wish there was a book recommendation thread that had a top ten in each genre or something, especially in fantasy.

Paganmoon

Just finished Name of the Wind

Great book, loved the first 400 pages, were fast paced, and every character introduced, even if they were there for only one chapter - or even on occasionjust one or two paragraphs- felt alive and real. I couldn't help but wonder how they got where they were, and what they'd do after, on pretty much any occasion another character interacts with Kvothe.
Perfect example was
The midwinter festival where the guy (Was he a trouper? A thief?) pretty much saves Kvothe from freezing to death and even gives him some money. He just stuck with me all through the book, another example the farmer and his boy who give him a lift into Tarbean, only there for a short while but very "lifelike" characters.
But the last 200 pages or so dragged a bit I thought unfortunately.

And started If on a Winter's Night a Traveler

And I have to say WOW. This is so far from the books I normally read (Sci-fi, fantasy, sci-fact), but it's such a page-turner, that I'm on page 70 already after having started reading it just a short while ago. Love the flow of the text.

npm0925

Finished The Terror by Dan Simmons yesterday. The supernatural element is completely out of place in this novel; it just adds another layer of hopelessness to an already futile situation. The historical fiction half is where this novel shines, albeit fitfully. You'd probably be better off reading an actual account of arctic exploration, which is plenty terrifying without an invincible monster thrown in.

Finished Steelheart the other day. It was decent. Not a huge fan of the superhero genre, though. And I started Stephen King's The Stand. Of course, I started the book right in the middle of suffering from a cold, so the beginning of the book has been quite creepy. Looking forward to reading more of it.

Looks like I will finish 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' this evening after work. Looking to be gearing towards a very strong 4/5. Will see how the ending plays with my emotions.

EDIT: Just finished it actually, the last 5-10 percent was acknowledgements/previews/etc. Definitely got teary eyed and probably would've cried if I had not been at work. Still torn on if it's a 4 or a 5. I'll write a goodreads review later with my thoughts.

Then it's to decide what to start next, those 4 Ketty Jay books would definitely tide me over from now until the new year I think, so those are high on the list.

A Dog's Purpose is also one of the Kindle Daily Deals today, I picked that up.

I read A Prayer for Owen Meany earlier this summer. It is definitely in my top 5 for the year. Great book. Or should I say "IT'S A GREAT BOOK. READ IT!"

ShaneB

I read A Prayer for Owen Meany earlier this summer. It is definitely in my top 5 for the year. Great book. Or should I say "IT'S A GREAT BOOK. READ IT!"

Yeah, it is likely you were the one that originally brought it up and put it on my radar, so I thank you for that (I think Sparky mentioned it too - EDIT - looks like it was The Culture
vulture!). I did give it 5/5, it had a couple pacing issues early on, but it did all come together, and Owen Meany is an unforgettable character.

Bazza

Reading Dangerous Women at the moment and iv got to Bombshells by Jim Butcher, are the Dresden Files books worth reading?

Wurst

Reading Dangerous Women at the moment and iv got to Bombshells by Jim Butcher, are the Dresden Files books worth reading?

I think the first Dresden was entertaining. The series gets better by the book I hear. I hate that dangerous women spoiled the latest book in the series which kind of pisses me off.

Speaking of dangerous women. I read the short by Abercrombie and didn't like his writing style. Should I still try the first law?

Krowley

Looking at getting into the Jack Reacher books. Do they need to be read in order?
If not where should I start?

Any order is fine, but the first book is still a pretty good starting point.

I started with Echo Burning, which was also good. It's kind of a small town noir story.

I would avoid reading the later books (after book 10 or so) until you've read a few of the earlier, because I have the sense that they depend a little more on your knowledge of the character's background and stuff.

Mifune

Mehmber
I actually haven't read the Baroque stuff. Seems...daunting. Was it worth it?

It is daunting. And it can be a bit of a slog at times. But it's jam-packed with loads of fascinating historical and scientific tidbits -- how could it not be? There's one section in the middle of the second book that might be my favorite thing Stephenson has done. And the Cycle features what's gotta be his best and most satisfying ending.

So overall it's a bit uneven pacing-wise but the good parts are so good and so memorable that I'd say, yeah, it was totally worth reading. If you're a fan of the guy, which you seem to be, I think you'll get enough out of it. Also, they sell the series in smaller chunks if that will help with the daunting factor, broken up into eight books instead of three (actually the way he wanted it but for publishing reasons had to combine them). More of a financial commitment that way but if you can find them at the library or for cheap...

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I had about the same experience reading A Feast for Crows (liked it but became impatient at times) and personally I thought ADWD was a definite return to form. It may not be the best book in the series, but the flow of the story was back on track, and it certainly left me very excited for the next one.

Good to hear.

I think A Feast for Crows has the most horrifying character death I've read yet. Sent shivers down my spine.

Brienne being eaten alive by Biter. Jesus fucking Christ that was brutal. Was in disbelief. Caught me by as much surprise--perhaps even more so--than the Red Wedding.

Now I'm terribly sad. :(

kswiston

Good to hear.

I think A Feast for Crows has the most horrifying character death I've read yet. Sent shivers down my spine.

Brienne being eaten alive by Biter. Jesus fucking Christ that was brutal. Was in disbelief. Caught me by as much surprise--perhaps even more so--than the Red Wedding.

Now I'm terribly sad. :(

Are you done that book yet?

I am currently about a third of the way through "Before they are Hanged", part 2 of Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. I'm not liking it as much as the first book so far, but am hoping things pick up.

After I finish those three books, I will probably transition back to something that isn't fantasy or sci fi. I just haven't decided what that will be yet.

Linkhero1

What are good detective/mystery books? I recently began reading a lot and there's no general reading thread with recommendations.

Masenkame

What are good detective/mystery books? I recently began reading a lot and there's no general reading thread with recommendations.

I enjoyed this one:

It's a novella, so you can get through it in a few hours.

I'd recommend another one by Chabon, The Yiddish Policeman's Union. Hardboiled/noir detective story set in an alt-history where Jewish refugees moved to Alaska after WWII. The novel has great prose, interesting characters, and some really poignant moments. It's my favorite novel I've read this year.

For detective novels, anything by Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett. Particularly The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon.
If you like Chandler and Hammett, pick up Robert B Parker's Spenser books. I'd also recommend Lawrence Sanders' Deadly Sins books. Not sure how far into the series I went but the first three or four were pretty good. Finally, John D MacDonald's Travis McGee books are decent, quick reads.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
finished billy lynn's long half-time walk. i thought it was pretty good. the ideas of exploring this brief period of banality between intense conflicts and the detachment of people's simplistic OUR BRAVE SOLDIERS platitudes and the dark (as well as crass) complex reality of actually being a soldier and fighting a war were very good. billy's narration was witty, psychologically interesting and engaging. the author does a very good job of making him feel real and sympathetic.

that said i don't think choosing to set it during one single match is that good. it's clever and makes for a good pitch but i liked the flashback to his family meeting a lot and would liked the have seen the book follow more of his journey round the country. while using an american football match to draw a comparison between how we as a society say that x people get to fight in a meaningless sport and are high paid celebrities and x get to fight in a real war where they have no power or significant reward is an interesting concept but not interesting enough to dwell on for an entire book.

Interesting perspective from non-American reader. I think the author did that because a) he lives in Dallas, b) the Dallas Cowboys Thanksgiving game is a major American tradition on television every year that many readers will recognize, c) the cowboys owner Jerry Jones is actually like a character out of a Dickens novel, and d) an NFL game is one of the few places where people from all classes mix together.

TripOpt55

I'm reading The Silver Spike which is a spin-off of sorts for The Black Company books. Going a little slow, but it is pretty good. I think I really just want to jump into the next main book, but since this was part of the second collection, I want to finish it first.

Top Bottom