• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

Excellent. I just received my ebook downloads of Acadia.

For those of you unfamiliar- Acadia is written by the Redditor who wrote the famous "Rome Sweet Rome" short story, James Erwin. It's his first novel, and there was a KS last year for it.

Althane

It's intended. Many of his books are in related 'universes' called the Cosmere.

So basically you need to read them all (not really).

Cosmere really only seems to be making an impact in the Stormlight Archive books, and it's mostly nods to other books. It'll help you understand one of the characters more, but even with reading them he's a bit of a mystic prick, so... not like reading the others will help you understand him.

Woorloog

Banned
Cosmere really only seems to be making an impact in the Stormlight Archive books, and it's mostly nods to other books. It'll help you understand one of the characters more, but even with reading them he's a bit of a mystic prick, so... not like reading the others will help you understand him.

Yep. Cosmere may end up being more important later on (Sanderson has hinted at a possible cross-over book,but that is still far, far out). It is more like... an easter egg.

Picked The Hobbit back up because Five Armies came into theaters. On Chapter VIII, haven't seen Desolation of Smaug yet. Also re-reading A Christmas Carol.

survivor

Banned
CswvS39.jpg
23PYNZt.jpg
jqxfSGJ.jpg

Finished reading The Sense of an Ending, it was one my backlog for quite some time after seeing some hype about it few years ago. And it completely delivered, just a fantastic book dealing with regret, and memories of an old man recounting his past. Sort of an open ended conclusion but some of the theories I read online and the particular one that I agree with made the entire story even better. I should look for more novels by Julian Barnes, surprised to also see them very accessible writing wise.

Also read Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. I was already a big fan of hers after I read The Lowland earlier this year. This collection is just as great as the other book. Still dealing with stories of Indian culture and immigrants adjusting with American society. I found it interesting how pretty much every character she wrote that lives in America is either a grad student or works at a library for a university.

Also picked up and read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I was already familiar with the gist of the story from older animations and other references to the work, but I never properly read it. This version had very nice illustrations by Alison Jay. You can see most of them here. I honestly wouldn't have read this if it weren't for the illustrations.

Piecake

I am almost finished with this, and it is simply fantastic. This is probably the best biography I have read and Ron Chernow is easily my favorite biographer. Hamilton is such an interesting, misunderstood, important, and controversial figure and Ron Chernow does a fantastic job of telling his story.

From other books on the Revolutionary period, I started to acquire a fairly low opinion of Thomas Jefferson. Well, this book absolutely destroys him as a self-deluded, hypocritcal intriguer who worked from the shadows by employing proxies to do his dirty work. He justified all of this because he saw the world as a monumental struggle between democracy and liberty versus monarchy and tyranny. Everyone who disagreed with him was an evil monarchist who would then be assumed to have the most base motives by Jefferson and who believed most of the gossip surrounding them.

His thinking was rather humorous when he tried to apply it to Washington. He could not call or think of him as a monarchist and tyrant due to his reputation, but he could not reconcile him as a proponent of democracy and liberty because he agreed with Hamilton far more than he agreed with Jefferson. Therefore, Jefferson thought Washington was a senile old-man whose mind was being twisted and influenced by the evil Hamilton.

It really is quite amazing how Jefferson got such an exalted reputation. I guess that tells you the importance of living a long life and giving voice to American ideals, even though Jefferson failed to live it up them.

I realize it is a bit odd that Ive talked so much about Jefferson when discussing a Hamilton biography, but that is the one thing that has really struck and surprised me in my readings of American Revolution history. That being is that I think Jefferson kinda sucks as a human being.

One aspect I do find interesting is that Gordon Wood (a Jefferson lover) states that Hamilton did not predict America's future economy, manufacturing, since his On Manufacturing proposal was about getting tax money to fund the government, not promote manufacturing.

Chernow takes the opposite view and says that Hamilton did indeed try to promote manufacturing and saw that as America's path to preeminence. I am not sure who to believe, but without looking at the sources, I would probably take Chernow's side (might be bias speaking) since while Wood likely has a better command of Revolutionary sources, Chernow likely has a better understanding of economics and Hamilton. Also, Chernow mentions how he established a manufacturing city in New Jersey and read deeply on what made Britain successful. Clearly he concluded that it was manufacturing and credit. Therefore, I have a hard time imagining that Hamilton did not see manufacturing as America's path to success. I am tempted to posit that Wood's conclusion was influenced by his love of Jefferson (though again, that might be my bias)

Thanks to this thread I've actually dipped my toe back into fiction after mainly reading essays and memoirs

Station Eleven was solid, I'm not usually a fan of plots that tie all parties in the book in together and that seems to be the whole point, a la movies like Crash, but this one had a very interesting post-apocalyptic hook to it and the characters were very likeable even despite their flaws

The Martian was also a very good thriller, hard not to compare to Gravity because I can see it being developed into a Hollywood film soon. Kept me engaged the whole time and the main character is very relatable. The science facts also really appealed to my geek side, though I can see it getting boring for some people

The Intern's Handbook this one I really enjoyed, it's kind of like what I wished the movie Wanted had been. Basically a thriller about a hired assassin, and while some of the framing devices are kind of strange the main character and plot were strong enough that I overlooked it.

Now onto Mistborn and working on finishing Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore!

ShaneB

Liking Lonesome Dove so far, just need to get over that initial beginning hump, and really feel hooked. Been so long since I've read something this lengthy as well, so there's that hurdle. It's funnier than I was expecting also.

I'm reading Let Me In at the minute, great book. Let the Right One In is one of my favourite films and I left reading the book far too long.

Necrovex

Any opinions on the Kindle Store for must-get books for today's sales? I actually picked up a few titles during yesterday's discussion, so I wouldn't mind seeing more of it during these next few days!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The Martian was also a very good thriller, hard not to compare to Gravity because I can see it being developed into a Hollywood film soon. Kept me engaged the whole time and the main character is very relatable. The science facts also really appealed to my geek side, though I can see it getting boring for some people

Already underway with Ridley Scott and Matt Damon.

I finished Altered Carbon. I enjoyed it but I do wish the noir and investigation elements were more pronounced. I hear the sequels abandon the noir influences completely so I think I'll skip them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I preferred Book 2 to Book 1, but liked Book 3 the least.
I prefer the stuff exploring Area X to the stuff not exploring it. That's my main reason. Book 2 was probably more cohesive than Book 3 though I'll admit.

Have you started Seiobo There Below

No! I bought it though. And I read almost everything I buy, or rather, I never buy anything I don't plan to read.

Mumei

I prefer the stuff exploring Area X to the stuff not exploring it. That's my main reason. Book 2 was probably more cohesive than Book 3 though I'll admit.

Have you started Seiobo There Below

No! I bought it though. And I read almost everything I buy, or rather, I never buy anything I don't plan to read.

I'm the same way, but that hasn't stopped me from purchasing dozens of books I haven't gotten around to yet. :)

I'm 13% through with this

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
At first, it seemed cool, exciting, and new, but now it feels like a bit of a slog. Does it get better? I'm interested in
the parts where she rescued that person in the snow and is trying to find some other person who has some artifact, but the other parts like the one on the planet that just went through annexation is boring

Also reading through

Beijing Bastard: Into the Wilds of a Changing China by Val Wang
Which isn't great, but is just _that_ kind of memoir that's easy to read through and I can relate to.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'm 13% through with this

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
At first, it seemed cool, exciting, and new, but now it feels like a bit of a slog. Does it get better? I'm interested in
the parts where she rescued that person in the snow and is trying to find some other person who has some artifact, but the other parts like the one on the planet that just went through annexation is boring

It clicked for me at about the 40% mark. I read the second half in a quarter of the time it took me to read the first half.

Nuke Soda

Finished A Most Wanted Man by John le Carre. This is one of those books that gets better after you finish it and then think back on the story. Moved on to The Martian by Andy Weir.

Grimalkin

Yesterday was glorious. First my husband and I watched The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies and then we ventured to the used bookstore. What treasures! I picked up:

498139.jpg

and

461990.jpg

and some other stuff that's actually respectable but who cares about that.

was thinking about starting this trilogy. how is it?

Annihilation was amazing and I absolutely loved it. Authority was .. good .. not nearly as good as Annhilation but it kept me intrigued. So far Acceptance is good too but I'm not 100% sure I understand what is happening. Overall so far though I'd recommend reading it.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Started up "Yes please" because I love Amy Poehler.
Good alternative read to "The Looming Tower" which I'm still enjoying.

pa22word

41Vw45tKkfL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wondrous book. Dude needs to hurry up and get the next two volumes out!

On the subject: anyone know of some good books on 1900+ china, specifically on the two revolutions?

Pau

I've been burning through Megan Whalen Turner's The Queen's Thief series on H.Pro's recommendation. The author makes some weird choices, but otherwise it's been exactly what I needed to get out of my reading slump. About to finish The King of Attolia and start on the last book.

Also gonna need to make my Christmas break reading list. I'll be out of school for a month so I hope to get a lot of reading done!

Bought the Mistborn trilogy on Kindle from the link posted above. Thanks - I've heard good things about it.

So anyway, do any of you guys read the Jack Reacher books? What are your thoughts on the series? Favorite/least favorite book?

I have read nine of them thus far and thought that Persuader was by far the best.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I started on Seiobo, Mumei, and each sentence is exhausting. I have to rest and gather my bearings for every new sentence.

Nymerio

I've been burning through Megan Whalen Turner's The Queen's Thief series on H.Pro's recommendation. The author makes some weird choices, but otherwise it's been exactly what I needed to get out of my reading slump. About to finish The King of Attolia and start on the last book.

Also gonna need to make my Christmas break reading list. I'll be out of school for a month so I hope to get a lot of reading done!

Huh, this is the exact same situation as I was in. I was really dragging my feet and then I read through all four of these books in about two weeks. I was really surprised by how much enjoyed them.

Mumei

So I started on Seiobo, Mumei, and each sentence is exhausting. I have to rest and gather my bearings for every new sentence.

Haha. Yeah, I had the same reaction; I have this internal rhythm when I read, where there's a mental beat as I reach the end of a sentence; if I have a particularly long sentence then I start to feel unmoored, as if I were trying to swim the length of a swimming pool without taking a breath, so reading Seiobo forced me to change how I was reading; instead I had to focus on different aspects of the punctuation to find my pauses, which I suppose if we're following the swimming metaphor would be finding places to take breaths in the middle of a lap in an impossibly long pool; this is something I found frustrating at first, but somehow clicked with me as I continued to reading it, at which point I was caught up in its rhythms.

:3

Bazza

Tyrants_Law_Daniel_Abraham-220x344.jpeg

Finished this at lunch, looks like things are about to get very interesting in The Widows House. Quite happy to see there is a 5th book in the works as well which is nice, I was thinking there may have been to many things to tie up in a single book.

On the subject: anyone know of some good books on 1900+ china, specifically on the two revolutions?

If you can find it, Barbara Tuchman's 'Stilwell and the American Experience in China, 1911-1945', maybe? Won the Pulitzer back in the day, I think. Tuchman is/was one of the great American historians/writers...

Mumei

I've owned this since Borders went out of business, and it certainly looks like it would be good:

51zSC3J%2BjQL.jpg

It's supposed to cover ~16th century through late-20th century.

Anyone know a place I can buy foreign language (Brazilian Portuguese especially) ebooks? Amazon's selection is just a giant list of mostly old stuff that has no sorting, and most places I've found online are just for physical books or are region restricted. I'd like to find a place that sells foreign language versions of the more popular stuff like ASOIAF.

Mumei

Anyone know a place I can buy foreign language (Brazilian Portuguese especially) ebooks? Amazon's selection is just a giant list of mostly old stuff that has no sorting, and most places I've found online are just for physical books or are region restricted. I'd like to find a place that sells foreign language versions of the more popular stuff like ASOIAF.

If you don't get any responses here, you might try asking BrazilGAF, too.

Annihilation was amazing and I absolutely loved it. Authority was .. good .. not nearly as good as Annhilation but it kept me intrigued. So far Acceptance is good too but I'm not 100% sure I understand what is happening. Overall so far though I'd recommend reading it.

the ending isnt going to help, just enjoy the ride..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom