• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Finished:

18377952.jpg
14894629.jpg

Piecake, read The Half Has Never Been Told.

Currently Reading:

???

Haven't decided yet! It'll be something I have out currently, though.

That's good to hear, and will do.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finished:
I have seen Vandermeer's limits as an writer, and how nothing he could possibly write would live up to the implications and insinuations he creates in our heads. When he tries to, like in Finch, he just turns into yet another pulp sci-fi writer. It is better this way, if he sticks to what he knows best and lets the reader figure out the rest for themselves.

That is my acceptance.

Started:

Dresden once told me I should read James Wood because his views as a critic align closely with my own as a consumer of entertainment.

Queued:
Just for you, Mumei.

Necrovex

Piecake, read The Half Has Never Been Told.

Currently Reading:

???

Haven't decided yet! It'll be something I have out currently, though.

Pssssss, I have something to show you.

Also, chaps, what three books should I prioritize on this list?

1. The Power of One – Bryce Courtnay
2. A Long Walk to Freedom – Nelson Mandela
3. Country of My Skull (Guilt, Sorrow, and the Limits of Forgiveness in the New South Africa) - Antjie Krog
4. My Traitor's Heart (A South African Exile Returns to Face His Country, His Tribe, and His Conscience) - Rian Malan
5. A History of South Africa (3rd Edition) – Leonard Thompson
6. Kaffir Boy (An Autobiography-The True Story of a Black Youth's Coming of Age in Apartheid South Africa) – Mark Mathabane
7. Portrait with Keys (The City of Johannesburg Unlocked) – Ivan Vladislavic
8. I Write What I Like (Selected Writings) – Steve Biko
10. The Mind of South Africa– Allister Sparks
11. Beyond the Miracle (Inside the New South Africa) – Allister Sparks
12. Bring Me My Machine Gun (The Battle for the Soul of South Africa, from Mandela to Zuma) – Alec Russell
13. South Africa (The Rise and Fall of Apartheid) – Nancy L. Clark
14. When Rain Clouds Gather – Bessie Head
16. Race and Reconciliation in South Africa (A Multicultural Dialogue in Comparative Perspective) – William E. Van Vugt & G. Daan Cloete
17. The Rise, Fall and Legacy of Apartheid – P. Eric Louw
18. The Uncertain Promise of Southern Africa – York W. Bradshaw & Stephen N. Ndegwa

Ignore the numbering on here.

Speaking of Kindred, did it also annoy you how we didn't know how the time travel worked by the end of the book? I guess that stuff was happening just cause. I like to assume that one or both of them were wild seeds.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You read Hungarian

Christ, no. I grabbed the first picture I found on Google.

I wish I was worldly enough to read non-english books in their original language.

I finished Station Eleven a few days ago and loved it. Fantastic novel.

Now reading this gem:

all-the-light-we-cannot-see-9781476746586_lg.jpg

I bought the second to last copy in my store a few weeks ago. We have like 50 on order and apparently the distribution center is completely out of the book. I guess being named one of the best books of the year creates crazy demand. It's even sold out on Amazon.

thomaser

Finished Krüger & Krogh - Brennpunkt Oslo no.1. Great fun, can't wait to see what happens next!

9780802140180.gif

Now, about to start Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. Don't really know what to expect. I've read stoner-novels before. On the Road was ok, but not among my favourites. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a blast, though.

Now reading this gem:

all-the-light-we-cannot-see-9781476746586_lg.jpg

I bought the second to last copy in my store a few weeks ago. We have like 50 on order and apparently the distribution center is completely out of the book. I guess being named one of the best books of the year creates crazy demand. It's even sold out on Amazon.

This is only like $6.99 on Kindle, I think. Great buzz for this and Station Eleven both.

Speaking of Kindle, these 12 days of Chrismas deals they're rolling out are suuuuuucking. It's definitely worse than the regular daily deals.

Althane

Currently reading The Martian.

Seems like a good read so far - about 25% in. Kind of refreshing after VanderMeer's inscrutable prose.

18007564.jpg

After seeing so much of this book in the past few topics, I decided to bite on it on Tuesday, and order it off Amazon.

Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: Monday, December 22, 2014 by 8pm

ಠ_ಠ

(I leave for Turkey on Saturday, the 20th...)

finished up Revival. I thought the ending was pretty cheesy, but overall I really enjoyed the journey.

reading War Dogs by Greg Bear now. pretty good military sci-fi

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker is also just $2.99 today on Kindle and Google Play.

I rated it my favorite book this year, and I know a few others here in the reading thread recommended it.

Necrovex

Celegus

Bought the Gaiman novel. May have felt lukewarm towards American Gods, but I felt the concept was great even if the execution was bad.

I enjoyed Ocean much much more than American Gods myself (which I also liked the premise of but didn't quite hit the mark I was hoping for). It's more similar to Neverwhere if you've read that, but even better (to me).

DagsJT

Struggling a bit with "The Martian" now. Since around halfway, the science aspect has felt too much of a chore and far too detailed rather than expanding on the story.

70% in now and not too long to go but not enjoying it as much as others.

Cade

Weirdly, when I read The Martian I was loving all the science stuff even though I agree with most of you about the humor sometimes falling flat. Every time he came up with a new crazy scheme and explained how it worked, chances of it working, numbers, etc. I was eating it up.

Which is odd for me because I usually hate stuff like that. Don't know.

Necrovex

I enjoyed Ocean much much more than American Gods myself (which I also liked the premise of but didn't quite hit the mark I was hoping for). It's more similar to Neverwhere if you've read that, but even better (to me).

I have actually never read a Gaiman novel, excluding American Gods and the first volume of Sandman.

I don't mind book deals being posted. I just picked up the Golem book because of this. Your commission check is in the mail.

Ditto. Especially if it's something someone recommends. I don't see any harm in mentioning a book deal on a book you'd recommend.

Yeah, but the one aspect I liked about the humor is
when he's admonished that the whole world is listening, he doesn't bother to stop. At all.
<-- not really a spoiler, but I know how some people are, so...

The absolute dumbest thing in the book but something that actually made me laugh was him saying
"That's what she said."
It was so dumb but I loved it.

Weirdly, when I read The Martian I was loving all the science stuff even though I agree with most of you about the humor sometimes falling flat.

when he's admonished that the whole world is listening, he doesn't bother to stop. At all.

Cade

I don't mind book deals being posted. I just picked up the Golem book because of this. Your commission check is in the mail.
Sometimes I worry I'll have seen the deal from some other website and accidentally link one with a referral tag on the end and people will think I'm actually doing that.

Ditto. Especially if it's something someone recommends. I don't see any harm in mentioning a book deal on a book you'd recommend.

The absolute dumbest thing in the book but something that actually made me laugh was him saying
"That's what she said."
It was so dumb but I loved it.
Yeah, I didn't think people would mind. Just wanted to make sure. And that line was hilarious, too, especially
knowing people on Earth were waiting with bated breath for this long-delayed message.

Yes! That was great. Book managed to be both dramatic and silly.

Agreed on both counts. I don't know what it was exactly, but I enjoyed the hell out of the book despite its flaws. I had a big dumb grin on my face the whole time I was reading.
Yeah, I'm glad I ended up reading it because I had a blast. I keep trying to recommend it to people but nobody listens to me ;_;

Just ordered American Gods (already read it but it was cheap), LotR One Volume (ditto), and The Golem and the Jinni (because it was on sale). I'm rapidly approaching a volume of books that is untenable.

nhJxhne.gif

Fine! Add that to my list as well.

Kaladin

Also noticed that both full volumes of Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles are $2.50 each on Kindle. The novella is still $9.99.

The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One
The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2)
The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1)

Why the different naming conventions?

Kaladin

The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One
The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2)
The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1)

Why the different naming conventions?

That is an amazon error. Wise Man's Fear should be Day 2.

BJRygvj.jpg

Slow Regard of Silent Things is just a side story novella.

ryseing

Just finished Half a King by Joe Abercrombie.

It's good, but it felt like Abercrombie was reaching for the YA audience. Not nearly as gritty as First Law. Although I suppose that's a good thing, since First Law went to some fucked up places by the end.

Not sure what I'm going to read next. Not really feeling Control or Wolf in White Van. To the wish list then.

ryseing

Yes, it's explicitly a YA book. :p

I mean, I wasn't a huge fan--the overreliance on coincidence did it for me--but the goal of the book was absolutely to reach the YA audience.

I honestly had no clue. I just saw new Abercrombie and bought it. Damn straight on the overreliance of coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom