• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 Chapters in......I'm really loving this book....I'll be done in like a week or two. It's going to be a quick read.

68428.jpg

As if Stormlight Archive hadn't already, this has sealed it for me, I'm going to be reading everything by Sanderson.

I'm going to be jumping in after my current book. Which series of book order do you recommend me starting? Thanks in advance

ShaneB

Really loving Walden on Wheels about 10% in. Will try and get in contact with the author too after I'm done. So far it feels like I've been reading my own struggles with my life's direction.

theapg

Really loving Walden on Wheels about 10% in. Will try and get in contact with the author too after I'm done. So far it feels like I've been reading my own struggles with my life's direction.

Just read the description and bought it for $2. Thanks for the rec!

Chris R

Hey look, you just reviewed The Stand as well! I actually read both of those back to back as well, but probably preferred The Stand. I'm not sure what the abridged version cuts out, but it did feel pretty bloated to me in the middle.

Well, I do like King so maybe the filler stuff in The Stand will sit better with me. I was going to read The Stand right after I finished 11/23/63 since I liked the first 90% of that book so much but forgot I had American Gods purchased through the Humble Bundle they offered a while back.

Grimalkin

So don't start with Elantris?

I'd suggest:

Mistborn: The Final Empire
Mistborn: The Well of Ascension
Mistborn: The Hero of Ages

Warbreaker

Elantris
The Emperor’s Soul

Stormlight Archive: Way of Kings
Stormlight Archive: Words of Radiance

OR you could start with the Stormlight Archives if you want to jump right to the best and then go back and read the rest in order.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
You can safely skip Elantris, really. It's not Sanderson's best work.

I couldn't finish Elantris. Love Mistborn (well, the first book and the second half of each sequel) and The Stormlight Archives, though.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Best presidential autobiography?

I own Decisions Points which I will be reading soon, but I'm curious as to what is the best one out there.

Could be any country btw, as long as there's an English version.

LProtag

Damn, why didn't I read Endymion right after I finished Fall of Hyperion? I forgot how much I loved this series. Two days in and I'm already a quarter of the way through the book.

Piecake

I own Decisions Points which I will be reading soon, but I'm curious as to what is the best one out there.

Could be any country btw, as long as there's an English version.

Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow

Oh, autobiography. Well, you got me there. I tend to avoid those.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow

Oh, autobiography. Well, you got me there. I tend to avoid those.
Well it doesn't even have to be presidential lol, just interested in reading autobiography's.
I was going to read Decision Points and then "The Looming Tower" and kinda compare the two.
I want to see how people write about themselves compared to how others saw them

Piecake

Well it doesn't even have to be presidential lol, just interested in reading autobiography's.
I was going to read Decision Points and then "The Looming Tower" and kinda compare the two.
I want to see how people write about themselves compared to how others saw them

Ben Franklin's autobiography is considered a classic. I havent read it, only a biography, but he is an interesting dude.

Kaladin

I'm going to be jumping in after my current book. Which series of book order do you recommend me starting? Thanks in advance

I started with Stormlight Archive, but I would probably recommend Mistborn as a better jumping in point. Stormlight Archive is great, but it's a heavy fantasy tomb while Mistborn is an easier read.

I would also recommend checking out The Rithmatist and The Reckoners series for a good sampling of what he does on a smaller scale.

I'm reading the guy above me. The second volume is kind of weird and I don't understand the point of some of the side stories. Whenever you're on screen though I enjoy it.

wihio

Damn, why didn't I read Endymion right after I finished Fall of Hyperion? I forgot how much I loved this series. Two days in and I'm already a quarter of the way through the book.

I hear you. The more I read the more I am enjoying it. Will be finishing the Cantos in its entirety, no doubt. Such taboo, but I could really see this series turned into decent to epic quality films.

Prior to starting the Hyperion Cantos I blazed through Neal Stephenson's Reamde. I am a fan of his other works, and really loved Anathem, but found Reamde to be a little long, boring, generic, simplistic... I dont know the actual word... I liked it, but it didn't have any of the depth I found in Cryptonomicon or the Baroque Cycle.

Nymerio

I'd suggest:

Mistborn: The Final Empire
Mistborn: The Well of Ascension
Mistborn: The Hero of Ages

Warbreaker

Elantris
The Emperor’s Soul

Stormlight Archive: Way of Kings
Stormlight Archive: Words of Radiance

OR you could start with the Stormlight Archives if you want to jump right to the best and then go back and read the rest in order.

You're missing the best Mistborn book: The Alloy of Law.

Shengar

This
Though sadly the book have literary one sentence that prevent me from loving the book wholely :(
The setting is very great in concept and execution. Sanderson's use of modern and scientific term/word in character conversation makes it even more resembling the Victorian Era where faux-science is part of everyday life. The plot isn't as ambitiously big as Mistborn, but it's on the right side, engrossing a city instead of a world and to be honest I prefer it to be stay that way. Anyone that isn't as fickle as me in reading books would like it and overlook the flaws that prevents me from making it my favorite book this year.

Mumei

I'm reading the guy above me. The second volume is kind of weird and I don't understand the point of some of the side stories. Whenever you're on screen though I enjoy it.

One of the best things about Sandman is that it gives Gaiman a really wide palette to work from. Dream is the Prince of Stories, and so all sorts of fables and stories can be made to fit. So, Sandman as a series tends to go from serialized story arcs in one volume, to one-shot story arcs that have thematic connections, reveal some aspect of Dream, or give important plot information.

The second volume, as it happens, is one of the serialized story arcs, which resolves one of the plot lines revealed in the first issue of the first volume, gives a backstory for Nada, the woman we saw, and reveals something about the overarching story of the whole series.

Mumei

Alloy of Law was just okay for me. I much more enjoyed the original trilogy, though perhaps the fact that I was just looking for more of the same (and didn't get it) negatively influenced how I felt about it.

Shengar

Alloy of Law was just okay for me. I much more enjoyed the original trilogy, though perhaps the fact that I was just looking for more of the same (and didn't get it) negatively influenced how I felt about it.

If you looking for something different, you're in for a treat though.

It's often considered to be Grant's memoirs. There is some speculation (mostly debunked, I think?) that Mark Twain actually wrote them, which, if nothing else, speaks to the quality of the writing. I've not read them myself, but I will someday.

9781594202247_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

Really enjoying it so far.

Have you seen the trailer for the movie? Joaquin Phoenix looks really, really good in it.

Just finished Twin Peaks and now I'm in a really strong need of something as dark and crazy as the finale while still having that Twin Peaks type story. Anything out there give that crazy twin peaks vibe? I've heard Murakami, but just read one of his so I was wanting something else before jumping in to another one of his.

lightus

I've never seen this opinion before. Not knocking you for it, I just find it interesting.

I just finished Alloy of Law last night. Felt it was just "okay". I didn't feel particularly attached to any of the characters and the plot felt wonky to me. Some of the characters made huge leaps of logic to get to the next act and it was typically explained away with only a sentence or two.

I'm very familiar with Sanderson's works so I let this sort of stuff slide normally, but I felt it really interfered with this book's plot in particular.

The last little bit of the book did grab my attention though, so I'm looking forward to where he takes the series.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on to The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer now. Today is my last real day of classes so I should be able to get some quality reading time in soon.

Mumei

Read:

43365.jpg
10659163.jpg

I loved reading On the Origin of Species. I hadn't realized quite how revolutionary it was before reading it. I was viewing it from a more modern perspective, understanding his theory in light of all the evidence that has come since and how it seems like utter common sense now. But reading the theory as he wrote and support it at the time forces you to consider the theory from the perspective of natural theology, and it's a striking effect.

American Slavery, American Freedom wasn't a revelatory experience, but it did highlight important continuities in English attitudes towards the poor and those same attitudes that were transferred later to black people, and in the deliberate fostering of racial contempt in order to co-opt the lower classes.

Currently Reading:

61887.jpg
1455499.jpg

Just finished Twin Peaks and now I'm in a really strong need of something as dark and crazy as the finale while still having that Twin Peaks type story. Anything out there give that crazy twin peaks vibe? I've heard Murakami, but just read one of his so I was wanting something else before jumping in to another one of his.

I got a definite Twin Peaks vibe from Blake Crouch's Wayward Pines trilogy, at least in terms of the town and setting. That makes sense, given that he was clearly inspired by the town of Twin Peaks. Just be forewarned that by books two and three the story devolves into more of a pure action/horror tale than the more subtle, unknown approach on Twin Peaks.

Also, full disclosure: I HATED season two of Twin Peaks. All those awful James Hurley episodes can go right into a giant dumpster.

I got a definite Twin Peaks vibe from Blake Crouch's Wayward Pines trilogy, at least in terms of the town and setting. That makes sense, given that he was clearly inspired by the town of Twin Peaks. Just be forewarned that by books two and three the story devolves into more of a pure action/horror tale than the more subtle, unknown approach on Twin Peaks.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Also, full disclosure: I HATED season two of Twin Peaks. All those awful James Hurley episodes can go right into a giant dumpster.

I mostly agree, I thought it went too slapstick/dumb but I never really quite hated it. I think without Lynch stepping in and changing the script for the finale and directing it that the show wouldn't be remembered and regarded anywhere near as much as it is.

Ashes

Banned
The Chimes

http://www.victorianweb.org/art/illustration/barnard/xmas/10.html said:

It is the second book in Dickens's Christmas series (more about the time of the release rather than Christmas it self). It's not an easy read like The Christmas Carol, but it does have depth.
It highlights the plight of the poor, suggesting to my mind, that we are victims of circumstance and hardship rather than ungrateful and a burden on society. A depressing and misery laden tale, it has its bright sparks here and there, even if some of the caricatures of the rich seem a bit far fetched.
If you read this, do read, on the side, about the hungry forties, and the various events alluded to in this short novel.

Taking a break from my Uni related reading, I've just started Maurice Druon's 'The Iron King'. Picked it up for £1 from a charity shop as I'd heard good things about it. Anyone read it?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Grabbed this on a whim after seeing it posted here.
FCpc5hv.jpg

Finished it in two days, going to grab the sequel today. It was fun, and creepy, albeit a tad verbose and pretentious in parts. Needed some easy and engaging fiction as I've been on a history kick for the last six months.

On that note, also started this today

Z7sew0F.jpg

Hope it's good, I've been dying to read more about Verdun.

Atrophis

Have you seen the trailer for the movie? Joaquin Phoenix looks really, really good in it.

Of course he does, he's the best actor in Hollywood right now! I just saw the trailer myself yesterday and it looks fantastic.

On the book front I'm reading The Depature by Neal Asher but it's really not doing it for me. Also started Pet Sematary audiobook today.

Piecake

Read:

43365.jpg
10659163.jpg

I loved reading On the Origin of Species. I hadn't realized quite how revolutionary it was before reading it. I was viewing it from a more modern perspective, understanding his theory in light of all the evidence that has come since and how it seems like utter common sense now. But reading the theory as he wrote and support it at the time forces you to consider the theory from the perspective of natural theology, and it's a striking effect.

American Slavery, American Freedom wasn't a revelatory experience, but it did highlight important continuities in English attitudes towards the poor and those same attitudes that were transferred later to black people, and in the deliberate fostering of racial contempt in order to co-opt the lower classes.

Currently Reading:

61887.jpg
1455499.jpg

I would be a bit wary about the conclusions drawn in American Slavery, American Freedom since apparently new sources have been recently discovered that challenge some of his theories. I havent read it so I really can't comment on specifics and if the claim that you mention is one of the ones that is disputed now.

I just started reading The Shining this week. I'm about half way through it. Also keep in mind other than the famous quotes/gifs etc, I've never seen the movie either.

Let's just say I had to put the book down for the night when
Jack goes to see if there was anybody in room 217 after marks appeared on Danny's neck.

Need to focus on something less creepy and heart pounding before I try to sleep, my god.

B.K.

I'm glad I checked the Kindle store last night. They had a lot of Arthur C. Clarke stuff on sale. I got Rendezvous with Rama, Songs of a Distant Earth, and a short story collection for $1.99 each.

TTG

Alright, I'll try it again: What are your favorite action adventure books not set in a sci fi or fantasy universe? I need a change of pace, not looking for a masterpiece necessarily, something analogous to a Jason Bourne movie would work.

theapg

Alright, I'll try it again: What are your favorite action adventure books not set in a sci fi or fantasy universe? I need a change of pace, not looking for a masterpiece necessarily, something analogous to a Jason Bourne movie would work.
Might catch some slack but Angels and Demons was really good.

Nymerio

O_O

Alloy of Law is probably the worst thing he's written. Terrible, dull characters, a boring plot, and even the mistborn magic system couldn't save it.

whaaaaaaat. I loved the magic system, thought it was more interesting than that used in the mistborn books.

Shengar

whaaaaaaat. I loved the magic system, thought it was more interesting than that used in the mistborn books.

It was indeed utilized in a more interesting than what I have in mistborn books. Reading the ars magica in back of the book, I hoped that Sanderson ponders into the more spirituality side of his magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom