• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'll try it again: What are your favorite action adventure books not set in a sci fi or fantasy universe? I need a change of pace, not looking for a masterpiece necessarily, something analogous to a Jason Bourne movie would work.

Possibly a stupid question since you reference the movies but have you read Ludlum's Bourne books? Cause they're pretty awesome.

Other Bourne like books: Basically anything by Clive Cussler. Isaac Bell (Bourne in the old west), Oregeon FIles, Numa Files. And as theapg mentions, Dan Brown's Langdon series is decent. Better than the movies anyway.

Non-Bourne non-scifi/fantasy action books in order of awesomeness:

The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson

Aztec by Gary Jennings

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

Wilderness by Lance Weller

Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae by Steven Pressfield

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

I just finished STATION 11, which was the best book I read in 2014. Easily. (And I adored ANNIHILATION etc). It's just perfect: post-apocalyptic, while also having this wonderful thread of chance and coincidence and humanity throughout. Amazing. Made me insanely jealous.

TTG

Might catch some slack but Angels and Demons was really good.

Not at all, I read The Da Vinci Code back when it was at the zenith of popularity and thought it was fun, I may go for Angels and Demons.

Possibly a stupid question since you reference the movies but have you read Ludlum's Bourne books? Cause they're pretty awesome.

Other Bourne like books: Basically anything by Clive Cussler. Isaac Bell (Bourne in the old west), Oregeon FIles, Numa Files. And as theapg mentions, Dan Brown's Langdon series is decent. Better than the movies anyway....

I'm aware that the Bourne movies are a derivation of the books, just don't know if there's enough there to read them having seen the movies. Thanks for those suggestions, I've tried The Long Ships and The Sisters Brothers, I'll be checking out the rest ASAP. Since you've listed a number of historical fiction titles I feel it's only right to add the Flashman series and Hilary Mantell's Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. Both are excellent.

Any other suggestions?

so is the original Mistborn trilogy worth reading? I have the 2 stormlight books on my backlog, just wondering if there is any point in reading it if they are both similar (got this from some comments in this thread)

Currently reading Acceptance...liking it more than Authority at moment. its not that the change of pace and perspective was a bad thing in book 2, just that it feels like there a lot more filler, i don't care much about Control, giving me more about his past isnt going to change my mind

Since you've listed a number of historical fiction titles I feel it's only right to add the Flashman series and Hilary Mantell's Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. Both are excellent.
I've only read the first book of the Flashman series and it was great.

so is the original Mistborn trilogy worth reading? I have the 2 stormlight books on my backlog, just wondering if there is any point in reading it if they are both similar (got this from some comments in this thread)
Yeah, its good and definitely worth reading. Having said that, its not as good as the Stormlight series in my opinion.

Currently reading Acceptance...liking it more than Authority at moment. its not that the change of pace and perspective was a bad thing in book 2, just that it feels like there a lot more filler, i don't care much about Control, giving me more about his past isnt going to change my mind
Yes Mistborn is worth reading. Very good trilogy, the story has a conclusion (unlike Stormlight that is in book two of ten) and the characters and magic system are both intriguing.

Jag

I just finished STATION 11, which was the best book I read in 2014. Easily. (And I adored ANNIHILATION etc). It's just perfect: post-apocalyptic, while also having this wonderful thread of chance and coincidence and humanity throughout. Amazing. Made me insanely jealous.

I actually was about to ask opinions about Station 11. I've heard good things about it.

Not feeling the love with Ancillary Justice right now. Not sure if I'll go on to book 2.

Jag

Sorry if I'm not supposed to post this, but I saw on Slickdeals Amazon is running a special 14 fantasy books for .99 on kindle.

Terah Edun - Blades Of Magic
As an unstoppable war breaks out, a young girl enlists to find out the secrets that everyone is trying to hide.

Daniel Arenson - A Legacy of Light
War rages in Requiem, an ancient kingdom whose people can grow wings, breathe fire, and rise as dragons.

Megg Jensen - Anathema
A young slave girl discovers a world of magic she never knew existed and must face her enemies as prophecy unravels.

Jeff Gunzel - Land Of Shadows
A young blacksmith, born into a simple life, watches helplessly as the world he knew crumbles before his eyes.

C. Greenwood - Mistress of Masks
When an ancient evil stirs in Earth Realm, a group of unlikely heroes must find a way to stop the wave of darkness that is devouring their land.

Dima Zales & Anna Zaires - The Sorcery Code
Blaise's magical creation is not an object of sorcery, but rather a beautiful woman who's unlike anything their world has ever seen.

Annie Bellet - Witch Hunt
A cursed elven archer and her ragtag group of adventuring friends battle witches to stop a deadly plague and save a small village.

David Adams - Ren Of Atikala
Humanity is found in the inhuman when a "monster" is forced out of her home and into the world of elves, humans, and dragons.

Joseph Lallo - Jade
A little girl, selected as a sacrifice to end a mighty dragon's reign of terror, instead finds both the protection and the family she so badly needs.

K.J. Colt - Concealed Power
Adenine has been quarantined for being the last carrier of a plague that killed thousands, but when trouble strikes, she is forced to leave her sanctuary and enter a world full of secrets, enemies, and plots.

Lindsay Buroker - Encrypted
After being kidnapped, linguist and code-cracker Tikaya Komitopis must work with her people's greatest enemy to stop an ancient evil that threatens the entire world.

Mande Matthews - Bonded
Two children--one a born leader and the other a born servant--are bonded across worlds as Soul Warriors, but they must discover the secrets of their past if they hope to overcome the darkness that threatens their future.

Brian Anderson - Starfinder
Lee Starfinder embarks on his first adventure with a sword at his side and confidence in his heart, but he will soon discover that the perils of the world are far stranger than he had ever imagined.

Ed Robertson - White Tree
A young man is obsessed with mastering death magic, but his studies make him the key to resisting a powerful god--as well as the intended prey of the god's dark acolytes.

Mumei

O_O

Alloy of Law is probably the worst thing he's written. Terrible, dull characters, a boring plot, and even the mistborn magic system couldn't save it.

Too true. :(

I would be a bit wary about the conclusions drawn in American Slavery, American Freedom since apparently new sources have been recently discovered that challenge some of his theories. I havent read it so I really can't comment on specifics and if the claim that you mention is one of the ones that is disputed now.

Where did you read about that, though? He seemed pretty thoroughly well-supported so I'd be interested in reading what has come to light, and what aspects are being challenged.

Shiv47

Alright, I'll try it again: What are your favorite action adventure books not set in a sci fi or fantasy universe? I need a change of pace, not looking for a masterpiece necessarily, something analogous to a Jason Bourne movie would work.

I recommend it every so often, but Louis L'Amour's Last of the Breed. It's about a Native American military test pilot shot down in Siberia during the Cold War, and he must use his wilderness skills to evade capture and escape, while being tracked by a Yakut hunter with similar skills. It would have made an awesome 80s action movie.

So, two novels that I wrote have finally been published for ebook download in the US (with the physical editions coming sometime next year).

THE TESTIMONY, which won Wales Book of the Year 2013, and is an apocalyptic thing about religion and death:

51xmaBhFtNL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and THE MACHINE, which was shortlisted for the Arthur C Clarke award last year (losing to the dastardly award-swallowing Ancillary Justice). It's a piece of alt-future SF about a Machine that removes memories from humans, and it's pretty dark indeed:

51yT-ADFfXL.jpg

[I hope this pimping is okay. Seemed like the place to do it...]

I honestly wouldn't recommend Patrick O'Brian unless someone generally enjoys literature. O'Brian's favorite author was Jane Austen, and it shows. I think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread but given the general density of his prose coupled with the fact that he absolutely refuses to hold the reader's hand when it comes to all things nautical...he's not an easy read.

BAD. ASS. Respect, dude.

Edit: Not available as an ebook at Amazon?

Are they not? I can't see Amazon US' Kindle store from here (even through a VPN - they are canny as hell about you not circumventing the digital store). I can see Barnes and Noble's Nook store, and the prices there, so I just assumed it should now be on all formats. Hmm. I'll email the publishers...

ShaneB

Both of those sound really interesting whatevermort. I'll be sure to check them out sometime, especially The Machine.

Althane

So, two novels that I wrote have finally been published for ebook download in the US (with the physical editions coming sometime next year).

and THE MACHINE, which was shortlisted for the Arthur C Clarke award last year (losing to the dastardly award-swallowing Ancillary Justice). It's a piece of alt-future SF about a Machine that removes memories from humans, and it's pretty dark indeed:

51yT-ADFfXL.jpg

This sounds awesome. Major props dude, I'll keep an eye out for it in the Kindle store.

THE TESTIMONY, which won Wales Book of the Year 2013, and is an apocalyptic thing about religion and death:

51xmaBhFtNL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51yT-ADFfXL.jpg

Awesome. The Black Mirror thread has me rewatching the show and the second one sounds similar to the plot to The Entire History of You so I'm going to have to check it out.

I've only read the first book of the Flashman series and it was great.

Yeah, its good and definitely worth reading. Having said that, its not as good as the Stormlight series in my opinion.

Yes Mistborn is worth reading. Very good trilogy, the story has a conclusion (unlike Stormlight that is in book two of ten) and the characters and magic system are both intriguing.

Ok, I'll give it a go before storm light

Shengar

Finished a local fantasy book.
Now I'm ready to read the biography of one of the most greatest cavalry commander in history.
3406561.jpg

Bazza

Reading 'The Dagger and the Coin' series by Dan Abraham, I am halfway through 'The Dragons Path' at the moment. I cant really tell where the story may be heading at this point so it will be interesting to see how things unravel over the series.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Reading 'The Dagger and the Coin' series by Dan Abraham, I am halfway through 'The Dragons Path' at the moment. I cant really tell where the story may be heading at this point so it will be interesting to see how things unravel over the series.

So good.

Fintan

Anyone ever read The Power Broker by Robert Caro? I'm about a quarter of the way through it and wow, what a book. It's an incredibly detailed, portrayal of political maneuvering, thirst for power, force of personality etc. As well as a fascinating history of urban planning in America and why New York looks like it looks now.

I only happened to buy it because of a one line mention of Robert Moses in Rick Perlstein's book about Barry Goldwater. I got curious and ended up googling him.

Do Caro's LBJ biographies maintain this level of quality?

Ashes

Banned
Well, I've finished Pobby and Dingan. It was so very short. I feel glad that I read it though. Even if I am not exactly sure how it turned out the way it did.

Quite powerful in its brutal simplicity.

I was going to read more tonight, but I think I am going to have a sit and think for a bit.

Do Caro's LBJ biographies maintain this level of quality?

By all accounts, yes. Power Broker won the Pulitzer and so did one of the Johnson books. The only criticism I've seen of the Johnson books, especially the most recent one, is that they're almost too detailed.

Piecake

Too true. :(

Where did you read about that, though? He seemed pretty thoroughly well-supported so I'd be interested in reading what has come to light, and what aspects are being challenged.

I thought I should probably be helpful with recommending another book, but that is difficult since I haven't read any history specifically on slavery. When I do though, I am going to read Inhuman Bondage by David Byron Davis and for a slightly different take, A Nation Under our Feet by Steven Hahn.

Currently going through Revival, the new King novel. Only a little ways in, but I'm happy so far. Seems like a slow start, but the writing is engaging and so I'm not bored at all.

Going to try and read The Stand before the year is out.

Finished American Gods last night. There are decent bits of story in there somewhere, it just is surrounded by so much filler and unnecessary material. Who knows, the TV mini series might be good if the source material is edited down to the core story and maybe moved around a bit.
Wow, we have different opinions on that book. I think it's amazing, even if it meanders all over the place. Love it to death.

The Stand is a fantastic novel though. Hope you like it.

Finished The Lies of Locke Lamora last night. That ending. Holy shit. Made me forgive so much.

Though I still hate the random italics. JFC. Makes me feel like I'm reading an old comic book.

eR5q6jE.jpg

Reading Call of Cthulu & other weird tales by Lovecraft.

Honestly finding it a real slog now. I just cant seem to concentrate on it no matter how hard it try. I start reading and immediately my mind goes 'nope!' and starts thinking of other shit. The last book i read before this was the 900+ pager 'The Terror', and i tore through that in a month and loved it. But this is killing me.
Theres some good stories in this and its cool reading the origins of the Cthulu mythos but i just quit about 2/3rds of the way through 'at the mountains of madness'. I just couldnt take any more long winded descriptions of the bloody towers and their artwork etc. Theres only like 2 stories left in the anthology but honestly i think this ones beaten me. Dont think i can finish it.

LProtag

Well that was the dumbest thing I've done in a while.

I was searching something, went to look at something else, went back to the search page thinking it was the main page and saw a reading thread and went "Oh, I meant to ask a question today!"

and then I realized it was from November 2012 when I saw it on the main page after I'd posted...

ANYWAY

I'm finishing up Endymion and Rise of Endymion this week probably. I've been thinking about reading something about China Mieville, what's a good book of his to start with?

survivor

Banned
Finished reading bunch of stuff recently

The Days of Abandonment - This is an Italian novel by Elena Ferrante. Been seeing her name pop up a lot on different websites mostly talking about her anonymity and how she is a hidden gem from Italy. Picked up this one as it was a short read and not part of her current trilogy. Story about a wife dealing with her cheating husband breaking up with her and how she gets over it and learns to live without him. Enjoyable read.

Confessions of a Mask - Been wanting to read a Mishima novel for some time after hearing about him for a long time. This was a short one and figured it would be a great way to introduce me to his writing. Promising son, I should hopefully try to find time and read The Sea of Fertility series next year.

Siddhartha - Great book. Lots of wisdom and life lessons and the writing flew very well together and had a lyrical sense to them.

1984 - I read Animal Farm a year ago and really loved it so it was about time to read Orwell's other classic. It was a good read, but I think I prefer Animal Farm compact "future is fucked" storytelling more.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Just finished "Yiddish Policeman Union" to find that there was a glossary at the back of the book the whole time -_-
It was enjoyable but not as good as Mysteries of Puttsburgh or Wonder Boys.

3.5/5

ShaneB

Just finished up Walden on Wheels. What a fantastic read for myself. Lots of reflecting throughout the book on what it means for my own life to feel so stagnant and wonder what my purpose is. Loved Ken's adventures and his thoughts on living life to the fullest and what makes us happy.

I'm borrowing Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill from the library over Christmas. It'll give me something to do when I'm travelling and/or bored at family members' houses.

Ended up returning Mr. Mercedes after only reading half of it, because I wasn't that into it. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what happens in the latter half.

cheezcake

Currently reading

Was supposed to read it for GAF book club but got sidetracked by exams and other novels. Also picked up Ancillary Sword to read afterwards, absolutely loved Ancillary Justice.

4162WoK%2BDzL.jpg

I read 1Q84 last year and I liked it. A coworker told me he thought this was better.

It is but Kafka on the Shore is easily his best work IMO.

obin_gam

The Dispossessed is getting a bit tedious now. I have like 2 hours left (of a 13 hour audio book) and I want it to end now :/

Because next up is Bernard Cornwells "The Winter King". A realistic take on the King Arthur legend, which I am super psyched for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom