• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hythloday

I want to read this, but for the life of me I can't figure out why 'Aztec' isn't available for Kindle but apparently all (most of?) the sequels are. Weird. (Edit: reading some Amazon reviews I see that some of the sequels are actually written by others after the author's death. That makes more sense, I guess. Getting a VC Andrews vibe from that, though.)

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Just finished Gone Girl. I don't know what I really think about it other than "Wow that's fucked up." (Not to say that I disliked it - I did enjoy it).
When I started I didn't expect Amy to really be alive, although in retrospect I think I read a spoiler somewhere a long time ago so when I got to it I thought "Oh yeah, that's right." For the first part of the book I was reminded of Lolita. Not the writing (this isn't even in the same tier) but I felt smpathy towards Nick while at the same time thinking this guy's an unreliable narrator and he's actually a huge asshole who probably killed his wife.

Mumei

The Dispossessed is getting a bit tedious now. I have like 2 hours left (of a 13 hour audio book) and I want it to end now :/

Because next up is Bernard Cornwells "The Winter King". A realistic take on the King Arthur legend, which I am super psyched for!

Hey. No. No.

The Dispossessed is always excellent.

I haven't listened to the audiobook. Maybe it comes across as tedious in that format, which is just more evidence that Paper >>>> *

I want to read this, but for the life of me I can't figure out why 'Aztec' isn't available for Kindle but apparently all (most of?) the sequels are. Weird. (Edit: reading some Amazon reviews I see that some of the sequels are actually written by others after the author's death. That makes more sense, I guess. Getting a VC Andrews vibe from that, though.)

Only read Aztec so I can't speak for the quality of the sequels. That's unfortunate that it's not on Kindle yet because the book is cumbersome. Its shaped like a brick.

Celegus

I've been thinking about reading something about China Mieville, what's a good book of his to start with?

That's another name I hear quite a bit, but haven't read anything of (but would like to). A friend of mine really liked The City & the City, but that's really the only one I know of.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Perdido Street Station or Embassytown.

I couldn't get more than a chapter into The City and The City.

Trouble

Banned
Perdido Street Station or Embassytown.

I couldn't get more than a chapter into The City and The City.

Seconded on Perdido Street Station or Embassytown.

Perdido is one of three (mostly unrelated) books taking place in the same universe (Bas-Lag), and also the best of the three, IMO. The Scar was decent, Iron Council was easily the worst of the three.

Embassytown has some really unique concepts, especially surrounding the alien species and their communication. Also, a fairly novel mechanism for interstellar travel. I'd like to see another novel in this universe.

Mumei

Update~

Read:

1455499.jpg
61887.jpg

The Hallowed Hunt was not as good as the previous two books. It felt like there was less of a journey in terms of character growth, and felt a bit .. I don't know, too pat. But I still really, really enjoyed it, and I'm still looking forward to whenever the next book comes out.

Evolution was fantastic in places, and tedious in others. As an educational science book, I really enjoyed it. But I felt that the emphasis on Those Lying Creationists, while understandable, detracted from it. I felt as if he were preaching to the choir, and I got irritated by it. I wouldn't feel persuaded by it if I were a creationist, and I found myself put off by it.

Reading:

18377952.jpg
14894629.jpg

explicit_snark

Neo Member
Currently reading Leonardo and the Last Supper by Ross King. As a budding art historian, I find King's books to be very insightful. Even though he's not a historian himself,he has a talent in the way he takes primary sources and uses them to spin an interesting narrative on compelling subjects is what keeps me coming back to him when I want a gripping read on art history.

Piecake

Update~

Read:

1455499.jpg
61887.jpg

The Hallowed Hunt was not as good as the previous two books. It felt like there was less of a journey in terms of character growth, and felt a bit .. I don't know, too pat. But I still really, really enjoyed it, and I'm still looking forward to whenever the next book comes out.

Evolution was fantastic in places, and tedious in others. As an educational science book, I really enjoyed it. But I felt that the emphasis on Those Lying Creationists, while understandable, detracted from it. I felt as if he were preaching to the choir, and I got irritated by it. I wouldn't feel persuaded by it if I were a creationist, and I found myself put off by it.

Reading:

18377952.jpg
14894629.jpg

Ooo, let me know your opinion on The Half Has Never Been Told.

Mumei

Ooo, let me know your opinion on The Half Has Never Been Told.

It's wonderful so far, though I've only read the introduction. Do me a favor and read that and tell me what you think of the framing device he's using. I really appreciated it.

Also, I read that link you provided. It's what I expected, and I am glad that the disagreements were minor. It would have been frustrating to read a book like that, to have been so impressed by it, and then to find out that I had been misinformed. But in truth the disagreements are, as Kathleen said, quibbles among historians; differences in ranking the relative importance of different agreed-upon factors. I am interested in getting another more recent perspective, though.

Piecake

It's wonderful so far, though I've only read the introduction. Do me a favor and read that and tell me what you think of the framing device he's using. I really appreciated it.

Also, I read that link you provided. It's what I expected, and I am glad that the disagreements were minor. It would have been frustrating to read a book like that, to have been so impressed by it, and then to find out that I had been misinformed. But in truth the disagreements are, as Kathleen said, quibbles among historians; differences in ranking the relative importance of different agreed-upon factors. I am interested in getting another more recent perspective, though.

Hrmm, if I become fascinated with the topic like I did with The Civil War I will definitely put that book on my to read list.

I think Inhuman Bondage will be my general overview. If your book remains as fantastic throughout, that will likely be my second since slavery as an essential, structural economic system for America's growth and development sounds like a more interesting premise to me than slave resistance throughout American history.

Ill likely get to both next month since that is when I get my new audible credits

I havent read this one either, but it won the Pulitzer in 2014

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CF2M95K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

While it doesnt discuss the origins of slavery (it could in the introduction), it seems like an interesting period to really delve into since I would guess he talks about the explosion of slavery and the slave system thanks to the cotton gin and the attitude change among many slaveholder elites from necessary evil to positive moral good

Freedom national is also an interesting book that deals with the issues surrounding Abolition. Interesting is the key word, because it is definitely not one of the most entertaining history books I've read. Some of the issues are was Lincoln the reluctant or great Emancipator? (he says neither) What was the North and South's conception of Freedom? What was the process of abolition like?

I didn't find his argument completely convincing, specifically his views on Lincoln's abolition priorities and views, but, like you said, those are minor quibbles, and his arguments were quite interesting and challenged previous conceptions.

I thought his discussion on Freedom National (North) versus Slavery National (south) was a really interesting conception. Here is an excerpt

Jaevlar

One of my all time favourites! Should probably re-read it in the near future. I don't know how the translation from Swedish to English is done, but in the original ones (two-part) the story is delivered quick and without nonsense, making for a story that really gains momentum in my opinion. Hoping it didn't get lost during translation.

Just about to finish Orwell's 1984, overlooked it before but I must say I really like it so far. Thinking of picking up The Illustrated Man next.

Woooo, I finally did it, finished Dance With Dragons. Last 100 pages or so were really awesome. Come on Winds of Winter.

Now on to:

the_martian_2014iougn.jpg

Donthizz#

pPkgDXw.jpg

this book man..this book.

Went into it thinking it's going to be a fun sci-fi read, and I was in for big surprise. Not going to spoil anything but if your into emotional/psychological sci-fi drama give it a read.

warning;
theme of sexual abuse of children is present throughout the book

fakefaker

Finished up Kazan by James Oliver Curwood and really enjoyed it. Haven't read a book this quick in a long time! Now onto The Quiet Twin by Dan Vyleta.

9639096.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Anyone know any good pop mystery/thriller releases from the last few months? I'm looking for some recommendations for my grandmother. Obviously James Patterson pumps out a novel every six weeks along with a couple other ultra commercial authors, but I was hoping maybe there'd be something vaguely in that vein but not plastered everywhere and good.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
pPkgDXw.jpg

this book man..this book.

Went into it thinking it's going to be a fun sci-fi read, and I was in for big surprise. Not going to spoil anything but if your into emotional/psychological sci-fi drama give it a read.

warning;
theme of sexual abuse of children is present throughout the book

I'm glad to see more people being exposed to Lowachee's work!

besada

Banned
Just finished:
3qGXWzV.jpg

And started:
xyzqu40.jpg

Which will be my fiftieth book of the year, allowing me to wrap up my fifty/fifty new books/movies pledge.

Piecake

Just finished:
3qGXWzV.jpg

And started:
xyzqu40.jpg

Which will be my fiftieth book of the year, allowing me to wrap up my fifty/fifty new books/movies pledge.

Didnt you promise Mumei that you would get back to reading The Story of the Stone after your 50th book? :)

Mumei

Hrmm, if I become fascinated with the topic like I did with The Civil War I will definitely put that book on my to read list.

I think Inhuman Bondage will be my general overview. If your book remains as fantastic throughout, that will likely be my second since slavery as an essential, structural economic system for America's growth and development sounds like a more interesting premise to me than slave resistance throughout American history.

Ill likely get to both next month since that is when I get my new audible credits

I havent read this one either, but it won the Pulitzer in 2014

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CF2M95K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

While it doesnt discuss the origins of slavery (it could in the introduction), it seems like an interesting period to really delve into since I would guess he talks about the explosion of slavery and the slave system thanks to the cotton gin and the attitude change among many slaveholder elites from necessary evil to positive moral good

Freedom national is also an interesting book that deals with the issues surrounding Abolition. Interesting is the key word, because it is definitely not one of the most entertaining history books I've read. Some of the issues are was Lincoln the reluctant or great Emancipator? (he says neither) What was the North and South's conception of Freedom? What was the process of abolition like?

I didn't find his argument completely convincing, specifically his views on Lincoln's abolition priorities and views, but, like you said, those are minor quibbles, and his arguments were quite interesting and challenged previous conceptions.

I thought his discussion on Freedom National (North) versus Slavery National (south) was a really interesting conception. Here is an excerpt

I've been taking a circuitous approach to learning about the history of black people in the United States, myself, so I haven't really focused on any one aspect. On the issue of slavery more particularly, including its impact on the early United States, the only books I've read are The Black Family in Slavery and Freedom, 1750 - 1925; American Freedom, American Slavery; The Origins of American Slavery: Freedom and Bondage in the English Colonies; and Ebony and Ivy: Race, Slavery, and the Troubled History of America's Universities. If you haven't read the first, I strongly recommend it. The third is light; I don't recall anything in it that wasn't discussed in more depth in American Freedom, American Slavery. And the fourth is also excellent. But anyway, my reading so far has primarily been a mix of contemporary, Civil Rights era, and earlier twentieth century. So, now I'm going back to slavery and (hopefully) Reconstruction to get the ground and to read something where slavery is contextualized.

Speaking of Abraham Lincoln, this is on my to-read list and it might be something you'd like, too.

15861563.jpg

Piecake

I've been taking a circuitous approach to learning about the history of black people in the United States, myself, so I haven't really focused on any one aspect. On the issue of slavery more particularly, including its impact on the early United States, the only books I've read are The Black Family in Slavery and Freedom, 1750 - 1925; American Freedom, American Slavery; The Origins of American Slavery: Freedom and Bondage in the English Colonies; and Ebony and Ivy: Race, Slavery, and the Troubled History of America's Universities. If you haven't read the first, I strongly recommend it. The third is light; I don't recall anything in it that wasn't discussed in more depth in American Freedom, American Slavery. And the fourth is also excellent. But anyway, my reading so far has primarily been a mix of contemporary, Civil Rights era, and earlier twentieth century. So, now I'm going back to slavery and (hopefully) Reconstruction to get the ground and to read something where slavery is contextualized.

Speaking of Abraham Lincoln, this is on my to-read list and it might be something you'd like, too.

15861563.jpg

Thanks for the recommendations. I don't think the Lincoln book is up my alley based on some of the reviews on amazon

The book concerns the historical, political, and philosophical background of the Lincoln-Douglas Debates; it does not deal directly with the debates themselves. (Nor does it purport to). In this regard it is similar to Harry Jaffa's "Crisis of the House Divided." The problem arises when the author goes beyond the differences between the political philosophies of Lincoln and Douglas and starts to deal with the philosophy of political philosphy itself. He largely analyzes John Rawls and posits what his political philosophy might bring to bear on the philosophical differences between Lincoln and Douglas. The abstruse nature of this focus would be complicated and boring enough, but then Burt compounds that mistake by adopting an outrageously pretentious and pedantic style. Here is an example from pp. 72-73 which is, alas, far from unique but manages to cram so much of what is obnoxious about Burt's style into just a single sentence: "The South was not alone in wielding suicidally apodictic statements, and such statements tend to ratchet each other up in a kind of 'Wechselwirkung' that ought to be familiar to anyone who has ever found himself enmeshed in an argumentative economy of reciprocated vituperation." What? John Burt is an English Professor. Surely he must have heard of Jonathan Swift and the Plain Style...if only he had employed it in this book.

Besides not being terribly interested in philosophy and theory, I have no idea what the fuck that bold sentence means.

If I do read a Lincoln book, it is going to be a biography and possibly This Fiery Trial by Eric Foner after that.

Finished The Martian. I ended up really enjoying it. After the first quarter or so I thought it would get a little tedious if it was the same thing over and over the breaks with other characters and the sense of humor with Watney really mixed it up enough to make it an enjoyable read. Some parts were definitely a little too science heavy when it seemed like it didn't need to be, but other than that I thought it was great.

Next up:

11588.jpg

I'm kind of excited, the only King I've really liked is The Dark Tower series(hated Duma Key and Under the Dome off memory). I figured I should read some of his older work to see what I was missing.

Finished The Martian. I ended up really enjoying it. After the first quarter or so I thought it would get a little tedious if it was the same thing over and over the breaks with other characters and the sense of humor with Watney really mixed it up enough to make it an enjoyable read. Some parts were definitely a little too science heavy when it seemed like it didn't need to be, but other than that I thought it was great.

My thoughts exactly.

ShaneB

Still debating what to read next. Flying home on Friday, so maybe I should just start something longer so I'd be right in the middle of it come flying time, or something short to finish up before then, and start something new on the plane... bah.

6.jpeg

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay

I just finished this up today. Previously I had read Tigana, which I enjoyed a fair bit but had some issues with. This, though, has got to be some of the best fantasy I've had the pleasure of reading. Heartbreaking, gorgeously-rendered characters. If you're a fantasy fan, read it. If you're not, it might turn you into one.

Piecake

6.jpeg

I just finished this up today. Previously I had read Tigana, which I enjoyed a fair bit but had some issues with. This, though, has got to be some of the best fantasy I've had the pleasure of reading. Heartbreaking, gorgeously-rendered characters. If you're a fantasy fan, read it. If you're not, it might turn you into one.

Interesting. What didnt you like about Tigana? I wasnt a huge fan either and actually gave up half-way. If I remember, I think I felt that the characters really fell flat. If that book improves upon what I thought Tigana struggled with, I might give it a shot

6.jpeg

Interesting. What didnt you like about Tigana? I wasnt a huge fan either and actually gave up half-way. If I remember, I think I felt that the characters really fell flat. If that book improves upon what I thought Tigana struggled with, I might give it a shot
I love Kay's writing. If you liked Lions, try out A Song for Arbonne.

obin_gam

Two chapters into THE WINTER KING by Bernard Cornwell.
51pC97JhNmL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

And so far I've learned that Merlin is a haebophilic crazy person who lives in a swamp with child brides and slaves.

Loving it :D

Just finished the Southern Reach trilogy. Man, I loved it. Kind of a weak ending, but the ride was great (and I hated LOST for the same reasons, too). Just really dug it from beginning to end, minus some verboseness in the 3rd book.

Can anyone recommend any books like this trilogy? I loved how
alien the "aliens" were in this book - so truly transcendent that we really couldn't understand its purpose and intent. (Perhaps that was just a cover for not knowing where his trilogy was going.)
Nevertheless, I enjoyed this series.

edit: spoilered a sentence for the uninitiated.

edit #2: Would love to see these books turned into a 3-season series on a premium channel.

Celegus

Good choice. I somehow made it through all of Tigana, and it doesn't get any better if you didn't care for it halfway through. It kept me away from reading any of his other books though, so I'm not sure if the others are any better.

Mumei

Just finished the Southern Reach trilogy. Man, I loved it. Kind of a weak ending, but the ride was great (and I hated LOST for the same reasons, too). Just really dug it from beginning to end, minus some verboseness in the 3rd book.

alien the "aliens" were in this book - so truly transcendent that we really couldn't understand its purpose and intent. (Perhaps that was just a cover for not knowing where his trilogy was going.)

edit #2: Would love to see these books turned into a 3-season series on a premium channel.

You should read more by VanderMeer: A City of Saints and Madmen and then Shriek: An Afterword.

I agree, Tigana had some characters that felt really underdeveloped for the amount of time we spent with them. Plus too many of them were preternaturally clever, which rang false for me. I also got annoyed with how much of the plot depends on impossible coincidences and chance meetings. Lions feels like the work of a stronger storyteller. I was more attached to the main three protagonists than I was to anyone in Tigana. Nothing with the plot felt cheap or lazy. It's stylistically very similar though. Lyrical prose, fairly slow pacing, and lots of political intrigue with a very personal focus. If you couldn't make it through Tigana I don't know if this will sell you, but it's definitely better.

Two chapters into THE WINTER KING by Bernard Cornwell.

And so far I've learned that Merlin is a haebophilic crazy person who lives in a swamp with child brides and slaves.

Loving it :D

It was quite good, and I need to return to the next two in the series. The Winter King took me a very long time to read. I'm convinced I got a bugged Kindle version from Amazon, since it didn't have any chapters. The text was fine, but I have a weird psychological impediment about massive walls of text without the occasional break. Books with short chapters seem to fly by.

I got that too,
but it kind of helps the story in that the unknown is much creepier.
Man I hate how Apple has the ipod classic handle audiobooks. "Here's a listing of every audiobook file in alphabetical order. No you can't sort by author. Or story. Or really anything. You want to listen to that one story? Ok, but it's in the middle of a giant playlist that will just keep going once the story you want to listen to is done. Tell me there's a better way. (My son has inherited my old classic and he loves listening to books while he's playing legos. Would rather my wife read to him all the time but she can only read so much before she loses her voice and Christmas break starts next week.)

obin_gam

It was quite good, and I need to return to the next two in the series. The Winter King took me a very long time to read. I'm convinced I got a bugged Kindle version from Amazon, since it didn't have any chapters. The text was fine, but I have a weird psychological impediment about massive walls of text without the occasional break. Books with short chapters seem to fly by.

Then you definitely shouldnt read any Terry Pratchett books. His version of chapters is to just press "Return" and tab a space inwards :p

Mr.Swag

Banned
"The Looming Tower" only 140 pages in and this is already the best nom fiction I've ever read.

Totally recommendable to anyone interested in middle east issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom