• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2011)

Hoda-Kotb.jpg

Just got this today.

bjaelke

Just finished Atlantis by David Gibbins but wasn't very impressed so I will wait with Crusader Gold and three others in the series.

Norwegian friend of mine recommended this to me. Haven't had much experience with Icelandic writers before.
512oIYOh1WL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Digging the TV series so I thought the book would be fun to read (and I heard a "rumor" that the story is slightly different).
51kmE19E4EL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

This is more as a necessity to get some theoretical background before I start writing my thesis.
71XP3R7953L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.gif

Dresden

Still reading Flashman for the book club.

Not having classes for four days has really freed up so much goddamn time.

UraMallas said:
I'm 26% done and there is entirely too much going on. I have no clue what the hell is happening, almost ever.

There's a big payoff when you get to Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice. It's what comes after Memories that's, uh, boring.

Karakand

Cyan said:
Hey, awesome! From you I will take that as high praise. ;) Thanks for reading!
Max, dearest of all my friends, if you toil for the love of the art I try to be supportive--though always critical, for how will one improve with a chorus of aplomb.

It's when you move on to GRODT stage that I mercilessly attack your flaws in an unproductive manner.

ymmv

Banned
coldvein said:
sorry. maybe a poor choice of words on my part. it's boring art. it's basic. it's uninteresting. if i grabbed some kid in a highschool art class and told him i was writing a fantasy series with WAR and GLORY in it and i wanted some covers, he'd come up with something like those actual covers. they might as well have done that, instead i'm sure they paid someone thousands of dollars. not a huge deal. it's a subjective matter. it's just a bummer that such (apparently) good books are stuck with such unattractive covers.

You, sir, are a turd. Respectfully.

The Abercrombie covers with the maps were very good. Fresh, clever, iconic. Abercrombie's work immediately stood out from everything else on the bookshelves. The publisher should give the designer a bonus for doing such a good job.

And the thread turns to shit...nice. But, on the bright side, book covers are a life-and-death thing, so at least the ugly is directed at something important.

coldvein

Banned
ymmv said:
You, sir, are a turd. Respectfully.

The Abercrombie covers with the maps were very good. Fresh, clever, iconic. Abercrombie's work immediately stood out from everything else on the bookshelves. The publisher should give the designer a bonus for doing such a good job.

that's the second time i've been called a turd in this thread, i'm assuming it's an abercrombie line. i'm alright with it as long as 'respectfully' is in there, i guess. :lol

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
charsace said:
Finished this and now I've moved on to the second book. Great steampunk book with a little bit of coming of age mixed in. I'm reading the second book now.

1e1f9x.jpg

charsace said:
Can't wait to see the movie based on the first book.

Err, don't get your hopes up. There's no Mistborn movie in sight.

UraMallas said:
Currently reading and not digging:

I'm 26% done and there is entirely too much going on. I have no clue what the hell is happening, almost ever, and I think part of it is the way he writes. There have been two things that I've thought were intriguing so far; the dummy being possessed by a sorcerer (can't remember name) and the chapter where Paran (?) died and went into the "other realm", for lack of a better term, to meat the twins of luck and other supernatural beasts.

This is a very different style of writing than the last book I read, The Name of the Wind, which I found to have amazingly well-written chapters. I was immediately hooked on that book but this? not so much.

The folks at tor.com have been doing a Erikson re-read that they blog about weekly:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/04/malazan-re-read-of-the-fallen

There are some spoilers, but it's not bad. It was immensely helpful in making sure I didn't miss anything.

Yasser

Karakand said:
It's when you move on to GRODT stage that I mercilessly attack your flaws in an unproductive manner.
why fight the invisible hand of the market? after all it's why we have 4 prison tycoon games, some people crave that low hanging fruit

MjFrancis

I just borrowed the following from a friend:

51sOOU5v6qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51EH5cAYMdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm halfway through volume two and I'm digging it so far. I haven't watched the Walking Dead series yet, don't know if I will, either. I'm also rereading some Nietzsche:

a710a2c008a042ceed5bb010.L._AA300_.jpg

More of On the Genealogy of Morals and less Ecce Homo.

charsace

aidan said:
1e1f9x.jpg

Err, don't get your hopes up. There's no Mistborn movie in sight.
I thought there was some steampunk in the book. The ash waste that is a result of the factory work, descriptions of the nobility and the way people use their powers is why I think the books are steampunk.

charsace said:
I thought there was some steampunk in the book. The ash waste that is a result of the factory work, descriptions of the nobility and the way people use their powers is why I think the books are steampunk.

I could be wrong, but I thought one of the bullet points of steam punk is a Victorian or neo-Victorian society. I don't remember Mistborn being that Victorian, but it's been a while since I read it. Also...doesn't technology have to be steam-driven?

Finished this much-acclaimed book. I think it was too hyped up for me.

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

I really, really, really wanted to like this book. I liked it, but not *that much*. To Say Nothing of the Dog is first and foremost a book about time travel, its repercussions and most importantly, its rules. The plot could be described as the space-time-continuum trying to maintain order.

All this is revealed through pages and pages and pages of dialogue, comedic misunderstandings, and people interrupting each other. The humor's very British. Maybe a little too British for me. The first couple hundred pages made me think fondly of a Monty Python episode. The last hundred pages made me want to tear my hair out. I had already gotten to "the point" of the book and just wanted it to end.

One of my pet peeves is getting interrupted while I'm still talking. Considering this book is full of interrupted dialogue and characters not paying attention to what the other is saying or doing, I'm surprised I didn't dislike this book more.

Other than those gripes, To Say Nothing of the Dog is actually quite good as a science fiction novel. The rules set up for time travel are fascinating and realistic. I think if the book were a bit shorter and there were fewer asides and misunderstandings, I would have enjoyed reading it more.

Now onto:

Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser
For our bookclub

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
nakedsushi said:
I could be wrong, but I thought one of the bullet points of steam punk is a Victorian or neo-Victorian society. I don't remember Mistborn being that Victorian, but it's been a while since I read it. Also...doesn't technology have to be steam-driven?

That's always more-or-less how I've defined it. Mistborn might share some minor similarities with some Steampunk, but that's about it. It's Fantasy through-and-through.

Now, the upcoming Mistborn: The Law of Allomancy, sounds like it might be moving towards a Steampunk aesthetic.

SyNapSe

Just finished. Pretty typical Preston novel. It turned into a real page-turner for me in the 2nd half-ish. Suspension of disbelief is needed :)

415TPk3Q1tL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Still working on..

41rZLuuM-2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pretty good read, it can get a bit dry at times but I find it typical of this genre. It starts pretty far back in time from the battle and really introduces a wide scope. Tends to jump around too much for my taste, both in terms of timeline and person being followed.

The title is accurate and it does a great job of portraying how the "great win" at LBH became a death knell for the victors. Public opinion is something you never want to sway against you in either direction.

ymmv

Banned
charsace said:

From what I remember the ash that covers that world is the result of volcanoes. That whole world is falling apart. It was The descriptions of nobility fit in with a feodal society. The only science in the book is the magic of allomancy. I didn't see any steampunk elements.

coldvein

Banned
was at the bookstore today and had joe abercrombie on my mind, due to this thread.
decided to pick up the blade itself. the cover isn't even terrible. hahah.

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch;

riversoflondon_350.jpg

Enjoying this one so far - the premise of a Police Officer who can see ghosts and is drafted into the Met's hush-hush one-man paranormal investigations branch is a bit silly on the surface, but Aaronovitch glides the reader past any misgivings with his wonderful scene setting, full of detailed descriptions of London's unique quirks and twisting maze-like streets. The world he's crafted is undeniably of the fantasy genre, with spirits, ghosts, vampires and much more holding an uneasy truce with each other and the long arm of the law, but it's also a good old-fashioned murder mystery, a dark and gritty procedural police case that just happens to be somewhat more occult than usual.

Jintor

Accidentally necro'd an old thread, reposting

Jintor said:
513d0EtUb0L._bL160_.jpg

Got interested in what inspired Max Brooks to write WWZ. I teared up quite a bit at this book - the sheer scale of WWII is fucking unimaginable to me, and the stuff with the Nagasaki/Hiroshima survivors... The cultural differences threw me for quite a loop, too, especially with the casual racism of the day. Highly recommended.

Burger

Catfish suggested I start reading this series, so here I am. So far it's been quite enjoyable, and a nice and easy to read.

kdakuf.jpg

Welp I finally purchased a Kindle and have been reading more in the last 3 days than I have the last couple of years.

the_road.jpg

Really enjoyed it and I was surprised how much of an impact it left me with after completing the book.

41Y5MYNEDBL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-15,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Downloaded the sample and will purchase the complete book. The author does a magnificent job of explaining the roots of Al Qaeda, Islamifascism, and why the U.S. has found itself in decade long 'War on Terror' (whatever that means) that it's currently fighting.

51L6W0yYyAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

TOTALLY digging this one. I am fascinated by the 19th century in the U.S. The California and Klondike gold rush. The trek west from the Mississippi to California. The wars. The founding of Utah by the Mormons. Such an amazing century for the development of this country and the author does a MAGNIFICENT job of explaining it in a way that isn't boring.

51%2B0OfZE10L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

As a Lakers fan its my God given duty to despise Simmons but as a basketball fan I can't help but enjoy reading his words. Totally enjoying this one and for anybody interested in sports you owe it to yourself to get this (even if it means supporting a Celtics fan financially =/ )

Eric WK

KidDork said:
I also found A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace in an upstairs guest room. I've never read any Wallace, so this will be my first foray.

It's pretty much the best place to start so you lucked out in that regard.

Salazar

I would agree that Flashy does not face consequences proportionate to his crimes, but he does—particularly in later novels—have an abominable psychological and physical time. He genuinely suffers.

Of course, he rises, smirking and triumphant in the end. But he does get battered.

Vard

nakedsushi said:
I may cleanse my palette with Nabokov instead.

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
Let me know what you think of Pale Fire; Lolita had such terrific prose so I have that one on my to-read list, as my 2nd Nabokov novel.

I'm currently reading Flashman, 3 chapters in. It's good but yea, Flashman is such a bad character!

Salazar

nakedsushi said:
Noo, that's what I was afraid of (him always rising). Glad I stopped reading then.

Please, for the love of things unholy, try this at some point:

http://www.amazon.com/Mortdecai-Trilogy-Kyril-Bonfiglioli/dp/0141003774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297052839&sr=8-1

He is less of a rascal, more raffish. Considerably more literary-minded, being crime novels of a sort, whereas Fraser was going very cleverly through the motions of a not terribly or necessarily clever genre.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Bootaaay said:
Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch;

riversoflondon_350.jpg

I finished this over the weekend (the US edition is called Midnight Riot.) It is a good premise and I enjoyed the plot twists. Some things bothered me though, for example Molly and whatever it is she did to Peter at the end. I didn't understand the description of that at all. And the way his female friend accepted the existence of magic so readily seemed weird.

The books has lots of British idioms, no big deal nowadays with google. It is heavily steeped in London-centric locations and descriptions. The author's blog has a map so you can better visualize things if you aren't familiar with the area.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I finished:

51yA2wQBQdL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It was quite incredible, especially considering it's a translation. I really enjoyed the tale of Orm's adventures. Is there anything else out there like this? Just really intriguing tales of Viking adventures (or otherwise circa 1000 A.D. adventures in Europe).

Anyway, I'm finally starting this now that it's released on Kindle:

51iSYngLW0L._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-22,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I only had a chance to read the first 3% or so, but so far I like it a lot. I love Abercrombie's style.

Zefah said:
I finished:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yA2wQBQdL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg[IMG]

It was quite incredible, especially considering it's a translation. I really enjoyed the tale of Orm's adventures. [B]Is there anything else out there like this?[/B] Just really intriguing tales of Viking adventures (or otherwise circa 1000 A.D. adventures in Europe).[/QUOTE]

You might enjoy -
[IMG]http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n1/n5405.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LocoMrPollock said:
You might enjoy -
n5405.jpg

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. Sadly, there isn't a Kindle edition, so I'll swing by some local libraries to try to find it.

Salazar said:
Please, for the love of things unholy, try this at some point:

http://www.amazon.com/Mortdecai-Trilogy-Kyril-Bonfiglioli/dp/0141003774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297052839&sr=8-1

He is less of a rascal, more raffish. Considerably more literary-minded, being crime novels of a sort, whereas Fraser was going very cleverly through the motions of a not terribly or necessarily clever genre.

That's been sitting in my to-read list for a while. I keep waiting for the kindle/ebook version, but maybe that's not likely to happen. And my local library is totally useless in this case =(

TL4E

Y6Xwg.jpg

Yeah, I like Richard Dawkins books, sue me. I'm about 1/8 through, pretty nice so far. I'm glad he doesn't focus so much on the silly arguments against evolution and spends more time presenting how evolution works (at least thus far).

LocoMrPollock said:
You might enjoy -
n5405.jpg
I second this recommendation. Phenomenal book. The Long Ships definitely reminded me of it.

@coldvein - its about a young Aztec warrior and follows him over the course of his life through a series of adventures that takes him all over South America.

coldvein said:
can you share some details about this book? Aztec-based historical fiction?

From Wikipedia:
Aztec is a historical fiction novel by Gary Jennings. It is the first of five novels in the Aztec series.

The book is written as a series of letters from the Bishop of the See of New Spain to King Carlos of Spain containing a transcribed biography of Mixtli (Full named Chicóme-Xochitl Tliléctic Mixtli, "Seven Flower Dark Cloud", in Nahuatl), an elderly Aztec man, by Spanish Catholic monks during the 16th century.

The novel portrays the entirety of the life of Mixtli-Dark Cloud, who is asked by Bishop Juan de Zumárraga to tell about his life, since King Carlos I of Spain (Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor) wants a chronicle of what Aztecs were like.

Really good books.

Pennywise

WSFL8.jpg

Sadly it came out pretty late in Germany so I had to wait for it a quite long time , but it was definitly worth it up until now.

Top Bottom