• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2011)

Ashes

Banned
Finished all the three books in the Millenium trilogy. Fantastic series.
Half-way through a patterson colloboration, called run for your life.

Big-E

About to finish A Storm of Swords and god damn does Martin like to kill characters out of seemingly no where. Love how not matter who it is, they aint safe from death.

Aristion

Banned
bud said:
plato's the republic. this my first step into the world of philosophy. i'm fascinated.

The Republic isn't really a good intro to philosophy. You should read an introduction to philosophy textbook.

KidDork

Eric WK said:
It's pretty much the best place to start so you lucked out in that regard.

Yeah, it's pretty wonderful stuff. Wallace was such a brilliant writer--on one page alone I can go from being awed by the man's Brainiac Five intelligence to bursting out with laughter. I'm ashamed it took me this long to come to his work.

As for Flashman, I didn't know Fraser also wrote Octopussy. That doesn't seem all that surprising, really. Enjoying the book so far, but man, what a douche that man is.

BlazeDSM

FvvWP.jpg

The first was pretty amazing...i'm now starting the 2nd.

Ashes

Banned
Zefah said:
The same Asda behind the Asda Smart Price brand? I heard about their delightful foodstuffs on the Rum Doings podcast!

Anyway, that thing looks like a standard LCD. I don't really see the point if it is, regardless of the price.

Came up at work. I'm actually looking for a decent e-reader myself. I suppose the kindle is the way to go?

Just finished:

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov

I usually don't c/p my long review, but since someone asked for it and since it's such an awesome book, here it is below:

Wow! I was a fan of Nabokov's prose thanks to Lolita but that book has nothing on this one. Pale Fire is many-layered, many-framed and at times makes my head spin. I wanted to knock off a few points for some incomprensible passages, but I finally decided that's a fault of mine and not of Nabokov's.

Pale Fire starts with a long, long, poem that takes almost 1/3 of the entire book. From the advice of another reader, I skipped the poem and dived right into the meat of the actual story, which is commentary on the poem. Now, one can say that reading a commentary of a 1000-line poem sounds boring and I would even say that if I hadn't just read this book, but trust me, it's awesome.

Nabokov's prose is so lyrical, so wonderful, so funny sometimes that it makes me turn green with envy. For example, this part, where the narrator was complaining about being invited to a dinner party where his hosts knew in advance of his vegetarian eating habits but still tried to serve him meat:

"I revanched myself rather neatly. Of a dozen or so invitations that I extended, the Shades accepted just three. Every one of these meals was built around some vegetable that I subjected to as many exquisite metamorphoses as Parmentier had his pet tuber undergo."

How can one not fall in love with such a masterful command of language? Pale Fire is certainly a book that requires a dictionary or even an encyclopedia to fully enjoy. It's hard work to read through, but it is so, so worth it. And the double entendres overflow this book if you're into that sort of thing!

What Nabokov excels at most is his descriptions of people and their situations. Take this one for example:

"One finds it hard to decide what Gradus alias Grey wanted more at that minute: discharge his gun or rid himself of the inexhaustible lava in his bowels."

How can diarrhea sound so good? Because it comes out of Nabokov's pen.

Pale Fire blew my mind on several levels, but one of the biggest explosions in my mind came at the end when our narrator realizes that the poem he wanted so much to be about Zembla actually isn't. He ends up crestfallen that his beautiful country won't be immortalized on paper through this poem. But the mind-blowing part is that it actually ends up being immortalized on paper through his commentary on the poem. It blew my mind in the same way that I Love Lucy is a successful television show about a woman who tries unsuccessfully to break into show-biz. So meta!

A spoilered discussion of the plot follows. If you haven't read the book but are thinking about it, please, please don't read the spoiler. It will tarnish the experience of reading it for the first time.

It becomes obvious early on that Charles Kinbote is the often-mentioned escaped ex-King of Zembla. Even before he starts hinting at it, an astute reader can easily figure it out. How else would someone know such fine details of the king's life? Although I had fairly solid suspicion this was the case early in, what really sealed the deal was Kinbote's comment about being a vegetarian himself.

Even before I suspected Kinbote as being the king, I suspected he was in love with Shade. I think this suspicion grew in parallel with my suspicion that he was gay, which probably led me to the suspicion of him being the King. It's too coincidental to have two flamboyantly gay characters in a Nabokov novel, no?

Vard

^ Sounds awesome, thanks for posting the review (avoided the spoilers). Did you go back and read the poem afterwards? That's the first I heard of skipping it; I'm the type that will not want to skip it out of principle, but since it's 1/3rd of the book I could be tempted if it's highly recommended.

^ I definitely advise skipping it if that's what's putting you off from reading it. After reading the rest of the book, I didn't even feel like I needed to go to the beginning and read the poem. The rest of the book explains the poem fairly well and you don't need prior knowledge of it.

I skimmed the first two cantos of the poem after reading it and honestly, it's a pretty trite and boring poem. The commentary after it is what's great about Pale Fire.

Also, there are definitely some really dense parts in the book, but don't let that discourage you. It's one of those books that will only get better in re-reads, so you can save those dense parts for later.

dakster

Neo Member
Just finished The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. I don't usually read fantasy. Thoroughly enjoyed this though. First time in ages a book has gripped me like this.

Zalasta

Finished Towers of Midnight and now working on the Deadhouse Gates. Kind of torn on ToM because while I appreciate the accelerated pacing, some plots seem to be tied up a bit too nicely without much details (or finesse). Overall it was a great read though not as awesome as Gathering Storm, IMO.

UraMallas said:
I'm 26% done and there is entirely too much going on. I have no clue what the hell is happening, almost ever, and I think part of it is the way he writes. There have been two things that I've thought were intriguing so far; the dummy being possessed by a sorcerer (can't remember name) and the chapter where Paran (?) died and went into the "other realm", for lack of a better term, to meat the twins of luck and other supernatural beasts.

This is a very different style of writing than the last book I read, The Name of the Wind, which I found to have amazingly well-written chapters. I was immediately hooked on that book but this? not so much.

I know that's a common complaint for Gardens of the Moon but I didn't find it hard to follow at all (finished it two weeks ago in the span of 5 days). The only disconnect I felt was the shift in focus between the first and second set of characters. It is suppose to be epic in scope so there are a lot of different plot threads being juggled at once.

The Name of the Wind was a fine read, but I thought the whole story within a story within a story technique was quite overused. Not to mention since it was a retelling of the past, there wasn't much tension throughout. Good but somewhat overrated by its fans.

Started reading 'Sex At Dawn'. A book about the prehistoric origins of sexuality. Supposedly it challenges a lot of our preconceived notions about sex and evolutionary biology. Only 40 pages in, but pretty interesting so far.

Salazar

KidDork said:
As for Flashman, I didn't know Fraser also wrote Octopussy. That doesn't seem all that surprising, really. Enjoying the book so far, but man, what a douche that man is.

And the (splendid) musketeer films with Richard York and Raquel Welch and Oliver Reed.

Also not terribly surprising.

Karakand

Yasser said:
why fight the invisible hand of the market? after all it's why we have 4 prison tycoon games, some people crave that low hanging fruit
listen bro i read this book.... the myst of sissypus (maybe you've heard of it??) and it said i can do whatever silly & pointless thing i want as long as it gives my hollow/vacuous modern life some sense of purpose (even tho it has none) maybe you should do the same?????

also read this other book that said the only thing i had to lose was my chains but i stopped wearing my chain wallet in like 9th grade so idk

Dresden said:
Did something happen with Lynch? I thought they were just doing some final edits.

He stopped working on the book for a long time because of his depression (triggered by a family member dying and marital break-down), so it's understandable that the amount of time he needs to finish the book was under-estimated when he came forward about everything a year or two ago. FYI, the editors are still waiting on his final draft.

Cyan said:
Fuckin Goodreads. Just got an email saying Republic of Thieves was coming out this month.

Got my hopes up until I actually followed the link and people were like "yeah, no."

Aaah sorry about that. The New Release email is my project. But it's hard getting good accurate data for new releases =(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
nakedsushi said:

This is my favorite book of all time. A masterpiece.

Yes, you should actually skip the poem. It should be referred to as the narrator deconstructs it in the later prose.

Also, the footnotes are absolutely hilarious. They're not footnotes in a traditional sense, but part of the overall narrative. They should be read last.

As a result of all the page flipping, this book would be extremely hard to correctly read on a Kindle.

MjFrancis said:
I read about a half-dozen Palahniuk books before I realized I didn't care for his writings, but if memory serves this was one of the better ones.

That's because it was one of his first three. Then he pretty much became a stunt writer.

FlyinJ said:
This is my favorite book of all time. A masterpiece.

Yes, you should actually skip the poem. It should be referred to as the narrator deconstructs it in the later prose.

Also, the footnotes are absolutely hilarious. They're not footnotes in a traditional sense, but part of the overall narrative. They should be read last.

As a result of all the page flipping, this book would be extremely hard to correctly read on a Kindle.

I actually read the Kindle version and I can attest to how annoying it gets to constantly skip back and forth from the narrative to the poem. I'm definitely going to pick up a physical copy for my library at home since it's one of those books I can see myself re-reading.

MjFrancis said:
I read about a half-dozen Palahniuk books before I realized I didn't care for his writings, but if memory serves this was one of the better ones.

Me too except it only took me 3 books. I read Fight Club first and thought it was pretty neat. Then Survivor, which I thought was crazy and creepy. Then this one and I was kinda, "Ehh...." Maybe his style is just not compatible with what I want to read, but I felt like all his books were a one-trick pony. I feel the same about Bret Easton Ellis too actually...

Almost done with this:

One Day by David Nicholls
I like it more than I thought I would.

Finished:

One Day by David Nicholls

The premise is that each chapter of the book is about one day each year (July 15th). It revolves around a pair of friends, Emma and Dexter who first through an almost-one-night-stand. The book goes from 1988 (their first meeting) all the way up to 2005 or something. Some of these July 15ths are just normal days in each of their lives, but I still found myself reading it with lots of curiosity even when nothing happens.

The "twist" was really abrupt. I was Xtreme Reading (power-walking and reading) and almost missed that part and had to go back and read it a few times to finally "get it". It's a really great book about friendship, relationships and growing up but I think it's especially poignant to people who graduated school in the late 80s (not me!).

Timber

Fires by Raymond Carver. First time reading him, had no idea he was one of those guys who just goes on and on about fishing. But yeah I love this anyway.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
61899.jpg

Finally finished reading this last night. It was fantastic, one of the best in the series by far. It had some of the funniest moments in the series to.:lol

510nes2HGmL.jpg

Now I'm finally starting this. It sets up a very cool and interesting universe based on the first 30 pages. So I'm eager to read more.

dakster

Neo Member
Just finished the second book in the Joe Abercrombie trilogy, The First Law. Great read, couldn't put it down. Really hoping the third book lives up to the first two.

Never really read fantasy before, can see myself getting into it now.

ScrabbleDude said:
Just picked this up from the library.

Pretty good so far.

"How to Win Friends & Influence People"

I read that some time ago. Some of his tips are pretty obvious but overall it's well worth the read.

I'm reading:

HeirToTheEmpire.jpg

I enjoy it but it's quite simplistic SF so far.

Yasser

Karakand said:
listen bro i read this book.... the myst of sissypus (maybe you've heard of it??) and it said i can do whatever silly & pointless thing i want as long as it gives my hollow/vacuous modern life some sense of purpose (even tho it has none) maybe you should do the same?????

also read this other book that said the only thing i had to lose was my chains but i stopped wearing my chain wallet in like 9th grade so idk
wilde would approve, and given how basil ends up, i suspect you would too

enemyairship

Neo Member
first_american.jpg

Been reading this off and on for the past few months in between other books (mostly because I had lent it out and then had to procure my own copies either by reading it at the book store or whenever I got it back). I like the way H.W. Brands tells the story of Franklin, but I suppose what I like most is how interesting Franklin's life was and who he was.

412TZMVP7GL._bL160_.jpg

Just got this as a gift the other day. I'll probably read it slowly as I go through other books. I have heard good things about Edmund Morris' Colonel Roosevelt. Hopefully this is also good (haven't read Colonel Roosevelt, which is his newest book, but I hope to).

Bananakin

51UqO8Hx8CL.jpg

Just finished Machine of Death. Great read. My goodreads review:

Very cool and interesting book. Machine of Death is an anthology of stories exploring what would happen in a world where there was a machine that could tell you how you were going to die. The machine is always right, but is often cryptically vague - "old age", for instance, could mean dying of old age, or being shot by an elderly man. The concept lends itself to many different interpretations, and a collection of stories was really the perfect way to go about fleshing it out. It made for a really fun read, because every few pages you'd be presented with a fresh new and interesting take on the theme. Stories ranged from humorous to philosophical to touching, with some of my favourites being "HIV Infection from Machine of Death Needle", "Murder and Suicide, Respectively" and "While Trying to Save Another". Overall I liked most of the stories, and there weren't any that I would say were actually bad, although some were unremarkable or left me feeling indifferent. More than anything though the book makes you think - for having such an out-there and almost silly premise, the stories manage to be surprising deep and insightful. I guess my biggest problem with short stories in general is that even my favourite ones (maybe especially my favourite ones) leave me feeling vaguely unsatisfied somehow, like I want to know more about the characters or what happened to them. Probably this speaks to my immaturity as a reader, and I'm sure my english teachers of old would try to tell me that by limiting yourself to a few pages, you can do things that can't be done in a full blown novel. Or something. Anyway, great book, and if the premise sounds interesting to you I highly recommend checking it out - especially since the creators offer a free pdf download at machineofdeath.net, so you have nothing to lose but your time.

Next up, The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis, which I downloaded on a whim after a random amazon.ca recommendation. I hear it's a hilarious satire of Canadian politics.

Burger

51Rdi28wL3L._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-18,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Moved onto this in the weekend after finishing the second book. Really enjoying the style of writing, the way the characters speak, the slightly too obvious flaws they all have. Extremely enjoyable.

My favorite character so far has to be Glotka. I think the way his internal monologue is interwoven between dialogue and scenes is extremely clever, and makes the character so entertaining.

Body found floating by the docks...

enemyairship said:
first_american.jpg

Been reading this off and on for the past few months in between other books (mostly because I had lent it out and then had to procure my own copies either by reading it at the book store or whenever I got it back). I like the way H.W. Brands tells the story of Franklin, but I suppose what I like most is how interesting Franklin's life was and who he was.

412TZMVP7GL._bL160_.jpg

Just got this as a gift the other day. I'll probably read it slowly as I go through other books. I have heard good things about Edmund Morris' Colonel Roosevelt. Hopefully this is also good (haven't read Colonel Roosevelt, which is his newest book, but I hope to).

I'd recommend David McCullough Mornings on Hourseback if you're interested in Teddy Roosevelt. McCullough is a true master.

bm1616

Just Finished: The Joke by Milan Kundera (uni class)
The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller

Currently reading: The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski (for same class)
Maus by Art Spiegelman

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Lafiel said:
61899.jpg

Finally finished reading this last night. It was fantastic, one of the best in the series by far. It had some of the funniest moments in the series to.:lol

She is a great writer, I just wish I could find her cover artist and threaten their life..

Burger

Blackace said:
She is a great writer, I just wish I could find her cover artist and threaten their life..

LOL. I always assume when I come across these (see Robert Jordan) that some family friend or relative is an 'artist' and the author didn't want to offend.

Then I remember that the author doesn't really get a say in the matter.

Blackace

Burger said:
LOL. I always assume when I come across these (see Robert Jordan) that some family friend or relative is an 'artist' and the author didn't want to offend.

The Wheel of Time books at least have an important scene on the cover.. her books look like trashy romance novels..

Burger

Blackace said:
The Wheel of Time books at least have an important scene on the cover.. her books look like trashy romance novels..

If these are important scenes then I'll give them a miss:

TheGatheringStormUSCover.jpg

180px-WoT11_KnifeOfDreams.jpg

Seriously though, I need to start reading some Louis McMaster Bujold, everyone recommends her.

coldvein

Banned
trying to bust my way through the blade itself by joe abercrombie. around page 200. this book is boring me to tears. i feel nothing for the characters. the world is uninteresting so far..i dunno. i'm definitely going to finish it, if for no other reason than that's just what i do. maybe it'll open up a bit more and grow on me, i'm not fully giving up on it yet..

Blackace

coldvein said:
trying to bust my way through the blade itself by joe abercrombie. around page 200. this book is boring me to tears. i feel nothing for the characters. the world is uninteresting so far..i dunno. i'm definitely going to finish it, if for no other reason than that's just what i do. maybe it'll open up a bit more and grow on me, i'm not fully giving up on it yet..

His charm is his characters and how they talk to each other..

I feel as a writer we share that..

But if you don't feel it by now I doubt you ever will..

Salazar

Burger said:

A friend had to rewrite the ending of her romance novel for the American edition. Things didn't work out in the UK version, but they did in the American. It was her first book with a much larger publisher, so she acceded (and thinks it's funny), but it was bewildering at first.

Blackace

Burger said:
If these are important scenes then I'll give them a miss:

TheGatheringStormUSCover.jpg

180px-WoT11_KnifeOfDreams.jpg

Seriously though, I need to start reading some Louis McMaster Bujold, everyone recommends her.

I am sure at some time Rand walked out of an anus in the air.. and some people were planning something in those books..

Burger

Blackace said:
His charm is his characters and how they talk to each other..

I feel as a writer we share that..

But if you don't feel it by now I doubt you ever will..

I agree with this man. While I'm not the worlds biggest fan of fantasy novels, these books struck a chord with me, probably due to the well written characters. I even enjoyed them more that GRRM's A Song of Fire and Ice series. Plus he actually finishes writing books, so that's always something to look forward to.

Tapiozona

Banned
Blackace said:
I am sure at some time Rand walked out of an anus in the air.. and some people were planning something in those books..

lol

I think it's fun trying to figure out what parts of the book are on the WoT covers. I remember the planning part. I think it was Perrin's group planning..or was it Mat, don't remember exactly anymore. But the anus in the air part..no clue.

Blackace

Burger said:
I agree with this man. While I'm not the worlds biggest fan of fantasy novels, these books struck a chord with me, probably due to the well written characters. I even enjoyed them more that GRRM's A Song of Fire and Ice series. Plus he actually finishes writing books, so that's always something to look forward to.

I am trying my hand at writing and even before I read his works I have the same working idea as him..

Make a world, focus on characters, get an end game.. finish a short series..write new books in the same world.

Really smart, and I love it..

Top Bottom