• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2011)

Burger

Blackace said:
I am trying my hand at writing and even before I read his works I have the same working idea as him..

Make a world, focus on characters, get an end game.. finish a short series..write new books in the same world.

Really smart, and I love it..

Cool, I wish you the best of luck. I think the think to take away from Abercrombie is that his writing isn't dry. Most of the characters are hilarious in their own way, even the most serious ones like Ferro. He also never spends more than a paragraph or two setting a scene, he's smart enough to keep peppering in details throughout clever, well written dialog. As much as I enjoyed ASOIAF it can be awful laborious at times. For me there is nothing worse than turning a page and seeing two great columns of text absent dialogue.

coldvein

Banned
i'm not a huge fantasy reader. chronologically for me it went.. redwall series(kid), lord of the rings(teen), wheel of time (teen), ice and fire (late teens/early twenties). those are the big ones anyway, george martin being the one that is stuck in my mind most as what i like from my fantasy books. abercrombie just isn't grabbing me at all. by the time i was at page 100 in game of thrones i couldn't put it down, then immediately ran out and bought/read all the sequels. this book is a chore in comparison. much more straightforward, much more simple..less fleshed-out maybe? the writing style...i dunno. seems dry to me. obvious, sometimes..like this little passage i just read:

Severard grabbed the bodyguard's feet and hauled them over the parapet of the bridge, then he took him under the armpits and heaved the body straight over the side with a grunt. So smooth, so clean, so practiced. You can tell he's done it before. (glokta thinking to himself)

eh. that kind of stuff rubs me the wrong way. it's like... well, no shit mr. abercrombie, he's a trained torturer who i think has already killed a couple of people in the book, but thank you for typing out for me that he is a smooth killer and is undisturbed by death.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Burger said:
Cool, I wish you the best of luck. I think the think to take away from Abercrombie is that his writing isn't dry. Most of the characters are hilarious in their own way, even the most serious ones like Ferro. He also never spends more than a paragraph or two setting a scene, he's smart enough to keep peppering in details throughout clever, well written dialog. As much as I enjoyed ASOIAF it can be awful laborious at times. For me there is nothing worse than turning a page and seeing two great columns of text absent dialogue.

Exactly.. There is an art (that I hope I am mastering) of writing good powerful scenes that give the reader a sense of where they are without beating them over the head with it..

Martin and Jordan are/were great scene setters, if a bit long in the tooth sometimes, but it is a different skill..

coldvein said:
trying to bust my way through the blade itself by joe abercrombie. around page 200. this book is boring me to tears. i feel nothing for the characters. the world is uninteresting so far..i dunno. i'm definitely going to finish it, if for no other reason than that's just what i do. maybe it'll open up a bit more and grow on me, i'm not fully giving up on it yet..

It didn't really hook me until close to the end, then I blew through the other 2 books in less than a week.

Blackace

LocoMrPollock said:
It didn't really hook me until close to the end, then I blew through the other 2 books in less than a week.

I thought the 1st book and the 2nd book were really good and the 3rd book was ok..

But I was hooked from about the word go with him and his characters..

Blackace said:
I thought the 1st book and the 2nd book were really good and the 3rd book was ok..

But I was hooked from about the word go with him and his characters..

My favorite POV was
The Bloody Nine.
So damn awesome. That was the moment that hooked me hard in the first book, after that I never looked back.

Probably my favorite POV in any fantasy book. (Well not really, but definitely top 5)

Narag

I'm so looking forward to the First Law trilogy. I read Best Served Cold first due to a friend's suggestion and really liked Shivers' reminiscing. I was pleased to see some of the people he thinks about play a role in the first three books.

Burger

coldvein said:
i'm not a huge fantasy reader. chronologically for me it went.. redwall series(kid), lord of the rings(teen), wheel of time (teen), ice and fire (late teens/early twenties). those are the big ones anyway, george martin being the one that is stuck in my mind most as what i like from my fantasy books. abercrombie just isn't grabbing me at all. by the time i was at page 100 in game of thrones i couldn't put it down, then immediately ran out and bought/read all the sequels. this book is a chore in comparison. much more straightforward, much more simple..less fleshed-out maybe? the writing style...i dunno. seems dry to me. obvious, sometimes..like this little passage i just read:

Severard grabbed the bodyguard's feet and hauled them over the parapet of the bridge, then he took him under the armpits and heaved the body straight over the side with a grunt. So smooth, so clean, so practiced. You can tell he's done it before. (glokta thinking to himself)

eh. that kind of stuff rubs me the wrong way. it's like... well, no shit mr. abercrombie, he's a trained torturer who i think has already killed a couple of people in the book, but thank you for typing out for me that is a smooth killer and is undisturbed by death.

Some people love world building, some people don't. I appreciate it in films and videogames, but I can mostly do without lengthly 2 page descriptions of a castle in any book. Clearly in something like The First Law trilogy complex exposition and descriptions of settings, people, history etc is unnecessary. More at home in something like ASOIAF.

I can appreciate both styles, but I had more fun reading Abercrombie than I did ASOIAF. I'm also pretty sure you can find an awkward sentence or two in any GRRM book.

coldvein

Banned
Burger said:
Some people love world building, some people don't. I appreciate it in films and videogames, but I can mostly do without lengthly 2 page descriptions of a castle in any book. Clearly in something like The First Law trilogy complex exposition and descriptions of settings, people, history etc is unnecessary. More at home in something like ASOIAF.

I can appreciate both styles, but I had more fun reading Abercrombie than I did ASOIAF. I'm also pretty sure you can find an awkward sentence or two in any GRRM book.

interesting. i may have mentioned it already, but i picked up this book because i've been having a little fantasy craving, and the new ice and fire book isn't out, and joe abercrombie seems to be well liked among fantasy-heads of gaf. i didn't do any research on it, just picked it up on a whim mostly.

when you say "Clearly in something like The First Law trilogy complex exposition and descriptions of settings, people, history etc is unnecessary. More at home in something like ASOIAF.", it makes me wonder. clearly...why exactly? have i stumbled upon the bubblegum george martin? is this dumbed down fantasy? i'm not trying to be especially hostile, i'm just not getting the love for the book yet. i guess what you call "world building" and deem non-essential to good fantasy writing, i would call "how to write interesting fantasy" and deem extremely essential.

example!:

king's landing in ice and fire. that city was flushed out, i understood it's landmarks, it's culture, it's history, it's location in relation to other important locations, it's importance to the world that was created in the book. it had personality. i cared about it.

vs.

whatever the big union city is called in the blade itself. it seems like it should be important as the seat of the king, but i can't even remember what the city is called. maybe i'm an unimaginative reader, but without more description or "world building" or whatever one wants to call it, it just becomes "big generic fantasy city # whatever". we have spent a fair amount of time in the Angriot (i think that's what it's called)..and it's alright. i have a decent view of it in my head. but as of right now, if some army of northmen came in and burned this city to the ground along with everyone in it, i wouldn't care.

again, i'm giving it time. i'm early on in the first book of this series, whereas i've read ice and fire a couple times over. i'm not trying to crap on anybody who likes (or even prefers) abercrombie to martin, i just don't understand it right now.

and yes, you can stumble across awkward lines in martin, but not NEARLY as many as i'm finding in this book. it feels like i'm reading the book version of a made for syfy channel special here sometimes.

Burger

coldvein said:
interesting. i may have mentioned it already, but i picked up this book because i've been having a little fantasy craving, and the new ice and fire book isn't out, and joe abercrombie seems to be well liked among fantasy-heads of gaf. i didn't do any research on it, just picked it up on a whim mostly.

when you say "Clearly in something like The First Law trilogy complex exposition and descriptions of settings, people, history etc is unnecessary. More at home in something like ASOIAF.", it makes me wonder. clearly...why exactly? have i stumbled upon the bubblegum george martin? is this dumbed down fantasy? i'm not trying to be especially hostile, i'm just not getting the love for the book yet. i guess what you call "world building" and deem non-essential to good fantasy writing, i would call "how to write interesting fantasy" and deem extremely essential.

example!:

king's landing in ice and fire. that city was flushed out, i understood it's landmarks, it's culture, it's history, it's location in relation to other important locations, it's importance to the world that was created in the book. it had personality. i cared about it.

vs.

whatever the big union city is called in the blade itself. it seems like it should be important as the seat of the king, but i can't even remember what the city is called. maybe i'm an unimaginative reader, but without more description or "world building" or whatever one wants to call it, it just becomes "big generic fantasy city # whatever". we have spent a fair amount of time in the Angriot (i think that's what it's called)..and it's alright. i have a decent view of it in my head. but as of right now, if some army of northmen came in and burned this city to the ground along with everyone in it, i wouldn't care.

again, i'm giving it time. i'm early on in the first book of this series, whereas i've read ice and fire a couple times over. i'm not trying to crap on anybody who likes (or even prefers) abercrombie to martin, i just don't understand it right now.

and yes, you can stumble across awkward lines in martin, but not NEARLY as many as i'm finding in this book. it feels like i'm reading the book version of a made for syfy channel special here sometimes.

It's cool, I don't think you are having a go or anything like that. We can discuss this like adults :)

For me personally, many of the characters in ASOIAF were extremely dry. It was awful serious most of the time. I think Tyrion was my favorite character in that he acted the most human, had a sense of humour, and was a cynical bastard. Not to undermine it or anything, it is a great series and I look forward to the new book, although I fear I will need a lengthy refresher.

I think 'world building' is essential if you are writing a fantasy/sci-fi epic. J.R.R. Tolkien did it in Lord of the Rings, Peter F. Hamilton does it in his sci-fi space operas, but these are all big books, sprawling epics. I think it has it's place (clearly) but that it's not necessary for every type of novel.

I'm not sure Abercrombie could ever make The First Law into a giant epic, it doesn't have that flavor. It's certainly set in a fantasy world, but there is little point in spending page upon page on exposition when the details of bricks has little to do with the story. It's certainly very character driven, and heavy on dialogue, but that's what I like about it the most. It's certainly easy to read, and highly entertaining.

Different strokes for different folks though. Some write that they ran off to buy more books in the ASOIAF series after getting 100 pages into A Game of Thrones. I put the book away, bored to death after 100 pages, then gave it a second go several months later and proceeded to read the rest.

Vyer

I'm also about halfway through the blade itself and, while it has improved, I found it very hard to get started. The writing was very bland and basic, it felt like Young Adult or good fan fiction. When i first started I had to force myself to get back to it. I barely care about the characters. This has improved though, and certainly I'm going to finish before I decide to continue. I have read a decent amount of fantasy, certainly no expert, but so far this has been one of the 'weaker' books in the genre for me. I'm hoping I'm able to grow more attached by the end of it.

51V5257PNAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

finally finished this dumb series.

now reading

f475c060ada0f0e564d09110.L._AA300_.jpg

coldvein

Banned
Burger said:
It's cool, I don't think you are having a go or anything like that. We can discuss this like adults :)

For me personally, many of the characters in ASOIAF were extremely dry. It was awful serious most of the time. I think Tyrion was my favorite character in that he acted the most human, had a sense of humour, and was a cynical bastard. Not to undermine it or anything, it is a great series and I look forward to the new book, although I fear I will need a lengthy refresher.

I think 'world building' is essential if you are writing a fantasy/sci-fi epic. J.R.R. Tolkien did it in Lord of the Rings, Peter F. Hamilton does it in his sci-fi space operas, but these are all big books, sprawling epics. I think it has it's place (clearly) but that it's not necessary for every type of novel.

I'm not sure Abercrombie could ever make The First Law into a giant epic, it doesn't have that flavor. It's certainly set in a fantasy world, but there is little point in spending page upon page on exposition when the details of bricks has little to do with the story. It's certainly very character driven, and heavy on dialogue, but that's what I like about it the most. It's certainly easy to read, and highly entertaining.

Different strokes for different folks though. Some write that they ran off to buy more books in the ASOIAF series after getting 100 pages into A Game of Thrones. I put the book away, bored to death after 100 pages, then gave it a second go several months later and proceeded to read the rest.

fair enough! different strokes indeed.

and yeah, i'll be getting on the ice and fire refresher train here shortly, too.. :D

Joe

I dont read but Ive been wanting to start so I bought a Kindle over the weekend and my first book: 1984.

The Kindle is fantastic. Its just borderline perfect.

The same can be said for 1984. Im about 70% through it and its very engaging. I can picture myself reading through it again at some point and im not even finished with it yet. I do have to admit that reading through the two chapters of "THE BOOK" was mind numbing torture though. I thought it would never end.

Ratrat

I'm surprised anyone would compare Abercrombie to Martin.

Speaking of terrible fantasy, I used to read RA Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books but quit in the middle of the Hunters Blade trilogy, vowing to return when a major character got killed off.

Can anyone who still reads Salvatore tell me if I should return now that the series is over(?) or are the final books just terrible drivel? I couldn't stand what he was doing with the Sellswords Trilogy.

Dresden

Ratrat said:

Speaking of terrible fantasy, I used to read RA Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books but quit in the middle of the Hunters Blade trilogy, vowing to return when a major character got killed off.

Can anyone who still reads Salvatore tell me if I should return now that the series is over(?) or are the final books just terrible drivel? I couldn't stand what he was doing with the Sellswords Trilogy.
All Salvatore novels are drivel. Give up.

Blackace

Cyan said:
Whatcha writin'? Anything we can read? And when are you joining the writing-GAF threads?.

I wouldn't mind letting some people read it.. I is mostly unedited so I know there is a ton of grammar mistakes and whatnot.. But if you want to check it out let me know.

Yeah I keep missing the start dates :(

Salazar

Joe said:
The Kindle is fantastic. Its just borderline perfect.

It certainly is. I'm about to stock up my Kindle. I'm going around Europe, and I don't really want to bring my iPad.

I am reading:

Work - Richard Bentley's Dissertations Upon the Epistles of Phalaris, which is one of the most beautifully snarky works of scholarship ever written.

Pleasure - Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon Days - which is terrific every time I read it.

If no one else is doing one already, I might try to throw together a quick and dirty Wise Man's Fear |OT|.

Either way, the subtitle best fucking be Dawn of the Second Day.

Dresden

Dropped by the library this morning and picked up Royal Flash, Flashman on the March, and Reavers. Will probably start Royal Flash first.

Which one of the novels is about Gettysburg, by the way?

Also: I think I'm the only person who thought Best Served Cold was better than the trilogy.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Ratrat said:

I'd say Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books are basically the same quality they have ever been. But yes, the latest book, Gauntlgrym, has what you want.

Slayven

Guileless said:
I finished this over the weekend (the US edition is called Midnight Riot.) It is a good premise and I enjoyed the plot twists. Some things bothered me though, for example Molly and whatever it is she did to Peter at the end. I didn't understand the description of that at all. And the way his female friend accepted the existence of magic so readily seemed weird.

The books has lots of British idioms, no big deal nowadays with google. It is heavily steeped in London-centric locations and descriptions. The author's blog has a map so you can better visualize things if you aren't familiar with the area.
My problem with it was a lot of stuff seems just glossed over. The mentor was really underdeveloped, but other then that I enjoyed it. I want to see more of Molly then any of the other characters.

TL4E said:
Y6Xwg.jpg

Yeah, I like Richard Dawkins books, sue me. I'm about 1/8 through, pretty nice so far. I'm glad he doesn't focus so much on the silly arguments against evolution and spends more time presenting how evolution works (at least thus far).

Richard Dawkins does not delve into religion at all with his arguments against it. He feels it is sufficient to just write the whole thing off in one fellow swoop. I honestly don't know how people read this guys work and don't seem to notice the smugness and uni-dimensionality with which he talks and writes. The guy's argument is boiled down to scientific proof and leaps of faith (aka belief in religion). If you want to learn a little something about religion and its beginnings as well as its many uses and devices read Emile Durkeheim, that guy doesn't say anything without giving you a larger insight into its context. Nothing has inherent meaning, it is society that gives religion its power and to boil it down to belief being correct or incorrect is just juvenile. Dawkins is a pompous prick.

This rant was probably unwarranted but I honestly can't stand that the guy is a bestselling author when his books are really brainwash material and propaganda founded in his own diluted reasoning.

ymmv

Banned
Daddy'sGun said:
Richard Dawkins does not delve into religion at all with his arguments against it. He feels it is sufficient to just write the whole thing off in one fellow swoop. I honestly don't know how people read this guys work and don't seem to notice the smugness and uni-dimensionality with which he talks and writes. The guy's argument is boiled down to scientific proof and leaps of faith (aka belief in religion). If you want to learn a little something about religion and its beginnings as well as its many uses and devices read Emile Durkeheim, that guy doesn't say anything without giving you a larger insight into its context. Nothing has inherent meaning, it is society that gives religion its power and to boil it down to belief being correct or incorrect is just juvenile. Dawkins is a pompous prick.

This rant was probably unwarranted but I honestly can't stand that the guy is a bestselling author when his books are really brainwash material and propaganda founded in his own diluted reasoning.

He's a biologist. can see why gets angry that children are indoctrinated with religious mumbojumbo about how our world came to be (7 days, Adam & Eve, a snake and the tree of good and evil) instead of verifiable scientific theories. Science actually is about the difference between correct and incorrect. Your correct that society gives religion its power and importance, but since the fundamentals of religions are based on falsehoods, lies and worse, I'd rather have a world where science reigns than ministers, priests, rabbis and mullahs who speak with authority about the world of makebelief.

ymmv said:
He's a biologist. can see why gets angry that children are indoctrinated with religious mumbojumbo about how our world came to be (7 days, Adam & Eve, a snake and the tree of good and evil) instead of verifiable scientific theories. Science actually is about the difference between correct and incorrect. Your correct that society gives religion its power and importance, but since the fundamentals of religions are based on falsehoods, lies and worse, I'd rather have a world where science reigns than ministers, priests, rabbis and mullahs who speak with authority about the world of makebelief.

I think religion cannot be so simply divided into scientific taxonomy but that it is merely a product of our socio-cultural makeup as humans. Regardless of if something is true or false in a general sense it is made true through its belief. As long as people continue to identify religion as a means to access something beyond or greater than them, something "exclusive", God still holds a significant amount of power. Organized religion has played off of our most human desires and in this it is something constructed out of human relationships with one another. If it is right or wrong nobody knows and I don't care how much Dawkins goes on television and spouts garbage about The God Delusion. If it is such a delusion why do people continue to believe it? There must be something else at work there than a couple of religious leaders and some books. It is the constructed "sacredness" that gets 'em.

Dresden said:
Also: I think I'm the only person who thought Best Served Cold was better than the trilogy.

Nah, I did as well. Alas, I think we are alone in our genius.

Ratrat said:

Speaking of terrible fantasy

**rolls eyes**

Nymerio

I missed the January thread :(

Started the year with The Dark Age Trilogy by Mark Chadbourn which I really liked. Spent the first week of February reading The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman:

51EU5yZuY4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That book was a really bumpy ride. After reading the phrase "I could care less" on the first few pages I actually wanted to put it down, but I'm a little ocd with finishing books so I soldiered on. The book did get better and the characters grew on me, but the ending was quite a letdown to me... So I was really looking forward to reading what I am reading now:

51jWmoiaqAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

I loved the First Law Trilogy and Best Served Cold and this is just as awesome. Shivers was one of my favourite characters in Best Served Cold so him appearing in The Heroes is a real highlight to me.

Daddy'sGun said:

You're entitled to your views on his advocacy of atheism, but the book which initiated your post is about evolutionary biology. Incidentally, Dawkins happens to be a scientist more than justified in commenting authoritatively upon the subject. There is then no leeway in casting summary judgement that "his books are really brainwash material and propaganda founded in his own diluted reasoning".

Dresden said:

The Heroes ain't too shabby, either.

Burger

Ratrat said:

Perhaps you didn't actually read what we were discussing, but I'm pretty sure the only comparisons we made were that they were wildly different from each other, while both writing Fantasy novels.

T1tan said:
Anyone read The Hunger Games series? Thoughts? Is it Ender's Game v 2.0?

Just looked it up and not really getting an Ender vibe from it. More like Twilight mixed with Battle Royale.

Meh, first book is $5 on Kindle. (bought)

besada

Banned
Recently finished Banks' LOOK TO WINDWARD, Bear's HALO:CRYPTUM, the first volume of the Lhankmar series, and Simon Armitage's translation of SIR GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT.

Oh, and Stephen Baxter's FLOOD, which I can't recommend enough. It's the post-apocalyptic tale of what happens when the hidden oceans in the mantle break through and drown the planet. The entire thing takes place over about fifty years, and sees some profound changes for humanity.

I started Bear's HULL ZERO THREE last night. So far, it seems a lot like Pandorum, which was a terrible movie. I presume (and hope) the likenesses are only superficial and early.

Reading The Checklist Manifesto and The Other End of the Leash. I have to say, despite not owning a dog, The Other End of the Leash has me completely captivated and pretty lackadaisical about re-picking up The Checklist Manifesto, despite the fact that it could probably teach me something practical.

Burger

besada said:
Oh, and Stephen Baxter's FLOOD, which I can't recommend enough. It's the post-apocalyptic tale of what happens when the hidden oceans in the mantle break through and drown the planet. The entire thing takes place over about fifty years, and sees some profound changes for humanity.

Sometimes I love my Kindle, sometimes I think it's a pointless waste of money.

143f30x.png

T1tan

Neo Member
LocoMrPollock said:
Just looked it up and not really getting an Ender vibe from it. More like Twilight mixed with Battle Royale.

Cyan said:
Nah, not really Ender-like at all. It's more Running Man/Battle Royale, at least plotwise. Read the first chapter and see if you're hooked.

Will flip through it at The Strand on the way home.

Burger

besada said:
That sucks. It's available on the U.S. store and presumably his own native UK store.

I'm moving to Europe in a few months, so it won't last forever :)

Seriously though, publishers don't give a shit about AU/NZ. The iBooks store on iOS devices in NZ is empty, it has several public domain books, all free. Useless.

Finished Miles, Mutants, and Microbes so that is the end of the Vorkosigan books for me unless I decide to buy Cryoburn as a stand alone.

Still half the month left though until Wise Man's Fear releases so gotta pull something from my pile.

Options are:

Timothy Zahn's Manta's Gift Glen Cook's Tyranny of the Night or Peter Brett's Warded/Painted Man
Imageashx.jpg
tyranny-night-glen-cook-hardcover-cover-art.jpg
WardedMan-183x300.jpg

any opinions from those that have read one or more of the above?

besada

Banned
evilpigking said:
any opinions from those that have read one or more of the above?

If you've read and enjoyed Cook before, you'll likely enjoy TYRANNY OF THE NIGHT. If not you should know that Cook is gritty, and not afraid to get involved in elaborate politics. I enjoyed TYRANNY OF THE NIGHT and to a slightly lesser extent LORD OF THE SILENT KINGDOM. I haven't read the third in the series.

It's not as good as his Black Company stuff, but it's interesting.

besada said:
If you've read and enjoyed Cook before, you'll likely enjoy TYRANNY OF THE NIGHT. If not you should know that Cook is gritty, and not afraid to get involved in elaborate politics. I enjoyed TYRANNY OF THE NIGHT and to a slightly lesser extent LORD OF THE SILENT KINGDOM. I haven't read the third in the series.

Ya, I've read a lot of Cook's novels, TBC, Darkwar, Garrett, etc. Also read a few of Zahn's books, Heir to the Empire trilogy, Angelmass, Icarus...something, so both some of his licensed works as well as stand alones.

Brett is the only real mystery player of the three and if I recall Gaf is pretty split on his books.

besada said:

I'll second that somewhat haphazardly since I'm only partway through Tyranny of the Night. Still have to try his Garrett P.I. series, too.

Dresden

evilpigking said:
Brett is the only real mystery player of the three and if I recall Gaf is pretty split on his books.
The Painted Man starts decently, but quickly falls apart, especially about halfway through when
the evil Muslims steal the main dude's spear.
The ending is lackluster and to be honest, quite eye-rolling. I'm not a fan.

Burger said:
Sometimes I love my Kindle, sometimes I think it's a pointless waste of money.

143f30x.png

Baxter's Flood comes up fine on mine - and I'd assume Australia is pretty equivalent to NZ in this respect - but I am using a Kindle 3.

Salazar

Tim the Wiz said:
Baxter's Flood comes up fine on mine - and I'd assume Australia is pretty equivalent to NZ in this respect - but I am using a Kindle 3.

I think there is a Kindle exclusion specifically for Australia.

"This title is not available for readers from AUSTRALIA, home of myopically protectionist publishing goblins".

Ratrat

Burger said:
Perhaps you didn't actually read what we were discussing, but I'm pretty sure the only comparisons we made were that they were wildly different from each other, while both writing Fantasy novels.
Guess your right. I saw an Abercrombie fan call Martins characterizations 'dry' and reacted.

T1tan said:
Anyone read The Hunger Games series? Thoughts? Is it Ender's Game v 2.0?

Definitely not. The first book is fun though, I liked it more than Battle Royale.

Burger

Salazar said:
I think there is a Kindle exclusion specifically for Australia.

"This title is not available for readers from AUSTRALIA, home of myopically protectionist publishing goblins".

That's interesting. I would have thought Australia would be in with Oceania. Man book publishing is a terribly overwrought and complex business.

Ugh, I just finished reading

Dust by Elizabeth Bear
which so far is the worse book I read all year.

Heavy-handed religious symbolism? Check! (Self-aware computer programs called angels that are oh yeah, also named after angels)

Gratuitous sexualty? Check! (Why do programs have to kiss to transfer data again? If they're all so powerful, shouldn't they have wireless or something that doesn't require physical contact, devouring each other, sex, kissing, or any of this nonsense?)

Nonsensical world-building? Check! (I know it's sci-fi and all, but the emphasis in this book is *not* on science)

I picked it up on a recommendation from the women of sci fo book club here:http://dreamsandspeculation.com/2010/09/02/2011-book-club/

I hope the rest of the bookclub choices aren't as bad.

Top Bottom