• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2013)

0222224b9da04c461aa4b010.L.jpg

About to start Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Heard it is good. Anyone hear read it (I assume so)?

bit of a tough read at times but i thought it was fantastic

84% through A Dance With Dragons. They're long books, it's not that I am disinterested, rather I'm just ready to be done. Hoping to finish it asap

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
84% through A Dance With Dragons. They're long books, it's not that I am disinterested, rather I'm just ready to be done. Hoping to finish it asap

Man I feel you. I'm half way thru ASOS and it's enjoyable but I feel like I could have gotten to where I am with half the page count. Self indulgent fantasy writers, man...

I need to think of a couple ~200-300 page burners to blaze through when I'm done with this to refuel.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Done with both of these -

RLJ3d.jpg

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

w9Pcd.jpg

The Dark Side of the Sun by Terry Pratchett

Anna Karenina was great of course, The Dark Side of the Sun was forgettable.

Moved on to and have already finished this -

PABw7r3.jpg

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Pretty good overall though reading it after Anna Karenina really just drove home a lot of Butcher's bad writing habits that annoy me. I'm interested enough in where the storyline goes and I've figured out by now which paragraphs are safe to skip so not a bad read.

Just started this -

crwVI1k.jpg

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt

Salsa

I never read one of these character centric saga of novels

If I were to start one, wich one should I go for first? Jack Reacher? Alex Cross? Harry Dresden? etc

im thinking Dresden, I like that concept quite a bit more than just detective/crime novels

ShaneB

I'm nearing the half way point of Leviathan Wakes, and I am really really loving it. Loving the characters and each chapter just hooks me with a cliffhanger to keep me reading.

I definitely need to stop reading in bed when I'm dead tired though, because the next time I start reading, I look back a few pages and wonder what the heck I read. lol

I'm nearing the half way point of Leviathan Wakes, and I am really really loving it. Loving the characters and each chapter just hooks me with a cliffhanger to keep me reading.

I definitely need to stop reading in bed when I'm dead tired though, because the next time I start reading, I look back a few pages and wonder what the heck I read. lol

Hmm, maybe I just wasn't it the mood for it.

Anyway, any Wool fans might wanna check out this short story set in the universe, The Runner. Haven't read it yet, but it's free today.

China Mieville and Margaret Atwood are showing up at my university for a writer's festival next week. I usually suck at meeting people I admire in person, but it'll (hopefully) be nice to get my copies of Iron Council - apparently his personal favourite - and Handmaid's Tale signed.

Otherwise, reading some non-fiction: David Crystal's How Language Works and Tariq Ali's Obama Syndrome.

China Mieville and Margaret Atwood are showing up at my university for a writer's festival next week. I usually suck at meeting people I admire in person, but it'll (hopefully) be nice to get my copies of Iron Council - apparently his personal favourite - and Handmaid's Tale signed.

Otherwise, reading some non-fiction: David Crystal's How Language Works and Tariq Ali's Obama Syndrome.

Ohhhhhhhhh man jealous. I loved Handmaid's Tale, Oryx and Crake, and most of all - Year of the Flood. Say hi to her from Maklershed! :b

Lumiere

Neo Member
Finished:

51MifTYrrGL.jpg

Thanks to everyone who recommended reading it ASAP - it was a great payoff indeed! I found the beginning a bit slow, but it became a very compelling read halfway through -
my favorite bit must have been seeing Severian becoming the Conciliator, step by step. I'm still a bit confused by all the time traveling and the multiple Severians
, but re-reading The Book of the New Sun with this hindsight sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

Now reading Worlds of Exile and Illusion by Le Guin (collection of the first three Hainish novels), and The Diamond Age on the Kindle side.

Salazar

Literary festivals are just tremendously socially confusing events anyway.

I usually avoid the signing parts. I will get Julian Barnes to sign some stuff in a few weeks, though.

I really was not impressed with Cloud Atlas at all. I thought I was going to be blown away, but instead I come away from this book really confused. I feel like there is some overall theme in this book linking the stories, but it probably went over my head.
What the hell was with the comet tattoo?
. I was waiting for some big reveal in the end, but it never came. I even had some difficulty reading some of the narratives as well. I do not recommend reading it at all.

Finished:

9780812984415_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Starting:

9780316201285_p0_v1_s600.JPG

I have seen this recommended by a few Gaffers so I hope I am in for a good read.

Fjordson

This is sort of a random request, but does anyone have any good recommendations for pirate books? Non-fiction books about pirates to be specific.

This is sort of a random request, but does anyone have any good recommendations for pirate books? Non-fiction books about pirates to be specific.

Non-fiction about pirates? Hmm I'm kinda interested in this now too. On the fiction side though, Pirate Latitudes was pretty good.

Fjordson

Non-fiction about pirates? Hmm I'm kinda interested in this now too. On the fiction side though, Pirate Latitudes was pretty good.
Haha, yeah, it sounds like a really interesting time period. I was waiting for the Kentucky game to start at my brother's house and we caught a few minutes of some pirate documentary on the History Channel. He's a history major and said pirate history is actually pretty fascinating.

Roche

So I was thinking about getting into the "Dune" series but, I've no idea where I would even begin. What's the recommended reading order for the series?

Fjordson

So I was thinking about getting into the "Dune" series but, I've no idea where I would even begin. What's the recommended reading order for the series?
I always hear to stick with the original and its sequel Dune Messiah. After that, apparently the quality of the series takes a huge nose dive.

Only read those two personally. Dune is amazing, Dune Messiah not as much, though still enjoyable.

coldvein

Banned
finally finished once and future king, which, because of other stuff taking up most of my attention, i took like five months to finish. totally worth it. that book is THE TRUTH

Roche

Ah right I see, yeah it's actually probably a good thing the later Dune books aren't great, don't know if I can handle another giant series. Thanks for the advice lads.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just askin' cause I looked up the Wikipedia page for the series and there's a whole bunch of prequels and such. It's rather intimidating.

Just read Frank's original 6 in order:

Dune (1965)
Dune Messiah (1969)
Children of Dune (1976)
God Emperor of Dune (1981)
Heretics of Dune (1984)
Chapterhouse: Dune (1985)

The rest are just extra lore, cash-grabs his kid released post-mortem.

I never read one of these character centric saga of novels

If I were to start one, wich one should I go for first? Jack Reacher? Alex Cross? Harry Dresden? etc

im thinking Dresden, I like that concept quite a bit more than just detective/crime novels
My wife loves the Dresden books, I've been meaning to read them myself.

Masamune

Well, I finished Pattern Recognition a few nights ago. Couldn't put it down for the last 100 pages or so. Really enjoyed it stylistically, although it seemed to drag at times (involving calculators, seemingly). The reveal at the end didn't have have what I imagine was its intended impact, and this was for a couple of reasons. First of all, it had a tone that resembled the ending scenes of Neuromancer, so there was more of the same there. Granted, it's still Gibson, so no accusations of pilfering plot. Second of all, I was reminded of a Cowboy Bebop episode. Specifically, and I'll mark this in spoilers in case you haven't watched Episode 23, called "Brain Scratch"....

the part where the evil cult mastermind turns out to be a hacker in hospice care. Did anyone else have the same impression? I suppose once you consume enough stories, things begin to repeat themselves. 'Cest la vie.

Time for Gravity's Rainbow. Here we go...

Piecake

Reading Insurgent right now and its starting to irritate me. I thought Divergent was a good, fun read, but the characters in this book are just doing and thinking a bunch of stupid shit. Telling myself that teenagers are stupid isnt making it any better either

Balphon

I'm about halfway through Embassytown.

FtAhBF0.jpg

Not really sure what I think of it yet, though I find myself looking back fondly on The City & the City so I imagine I'll end up feeling the same. I do enjoy how Mieville manages to make the increasingly fantastic elements of the worlds he creates seem plausible and internally consistent.

I'm doing a research paper on the painting Bonaparte Visits the Plague Stricken in Jaffa and having trouble finding information outside of its wiki page. Possibly looking at books on French art, art within the Louvre, and if any exist, a book or journal on the painting itself. Can any art history majors steer me in the right direction?

Blatz

FoolsErrand-UK.jpg

Fools Errand took a good ~35% to pick up, but I'm loving it. I adored the Farseer trilogy and skipped Liveship.

Good call skipping Liveship. It's not bad, but the Tawny man trilogy is much better. And fools errand is boring early, like you said. Books 2 and 3 are much better. I might pick up more Hobb later, but I'm not sure if any of the other books are good.

I'm currently on this
51m2%2BLgYGLL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-67,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And it's great...

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

FtAhBF0.jpg

Not really sure what I think of it yet, though I find myself looking back fondly on The City & the City so I imagine I'll end up feeling the same. I do enjoy how Mieville manages to make the increasingly fantastic elements of the worlds he creates seem plausible and internally consistent.

One chapter of that book was enough for me to swear off Mieville forever. I'd read and enjoyed a bunch of his books before but somehow that chapter made me retroactively dislike most everything he's done and I'm not sure why. Kind of a "why did I EVER like this guy?" moment for me. Strange.

I loved The City & the City, and I initially liked Embassytown quite a bit too. But I found I liked it less and less as it went on, and the last 1/3 was particularly trying.

I recently finished:

And enjoyed both quite a bit, especially Ship of Fools.

Now I'm paralyzed by choice, and not sure what to read next.

I watched Cloud Atlas and I'm now wondering. How does the book work exactly? Recognizing the actors in their different roles is the point of the thing. In text only, you can't really write "And he looked like the other guy from earlier!", so...how is that book written?

Also, I was just randomly thinking. I don't think I've ever read a steampunk themed book. If I were to pick up one, what would your first recommendation be?

Dresden

I watched Cloud Atlas and I'm now wondering. How does the book work exactly? Recognizing the actors in their different roles is the point of the thing. In text only, you can't really write "And he looked like the other guy from earlier!", so...how is that book written?
It's rather rigidly structured - basically follows 12345654321, where part one starts the books and ends it, and each following section picks up with the premise that they have stumbled upon/been sent/are watching/etc some account of the previous section. The first half is all beginnings, and the second half wraps up each character arc. Very gimmicky, tbh.

200px-Chasm_City_cover_(Amazon).jpg

After reading all this thread i pulled the trigger in three Alastair´s books (i love Scifi Space Operas), starting with Chasm City. To my surprise, it aint a dificult read and the story plot is becoming increasily interesting ! Already on chapter 11 ! (english isnt my main language, but the book to my surprise is smooth enough for a enjoyable read)

Thanks gaf

Lumiere

Neo Member
Using the same actors in different roles was something specific to the film - the book is quite different in this. While I did enjoy the movie, I actually wasn't too fond of the re-using of actors, felt it made things more confusing.

Nymerio

Finished book four of the Dresden Files: Summer Knight. I liked it a lot and Murphy actually redeemed herself! Dresden's attitude towards women is still often really infuriating but I like him a lot overall.

Next up: Death Masks

51H67cOaq+L.jpg

Pastry

Banned
Looking for something new to read. Can anyone recommend anything along the lines of Carlos Ruiz Zafon? I thought the Shadow of the Wind and Angel's Game were amazing (Prisoner of Heaven was pretty good too).

kinn

200px-Chasm_City_cover_(Amazon).jpg

After reading all this thread i pulled the trigger in three Alastair´s books (i love Scifi Space Operas), starting with Chasm City. To my surprise, it aint a dificult read and the story plot is becoming increasily interesting ! Already on chapter 11 ! (english isnt my main language, but the book to my surprise is smooth enough for a enjoyable read)

Thanks gaf

One of my all time fav books! Enjoy it dude...then read the rest!

finowns

Dune is a great book, it's sequels not so much.

ice-forged-199x300.jpg

Ice forged was pretty good.

thomaser

I haven't seen the movie, but the characters in the book don't look alike.
There is one important character in each of the "eras" with a specific birthmark, though, but there is no obvious connection between those "marked" characters.

gdt

Loved Ship of Fools. It was pretty minimally sci-fi (in that there wasn't much exploration or revelation of the sci-fi concepts in the book) but it was still great. And I'm definitely in the mood for more modern sci-fi.

%7B5B42EFE1-DD45-400A-AC63-DAC186583808%7DImg100.jpg

So thinking of going with this? Opinions?

Edit: Reading Before They Are Hanged atm, loved the first book.

%7B5B42EFE1-DD45-400A-AC63-DAC186583808%7DImg100.jpg

So thinking of going with this? Opinions?

GREAT ideas, slightly weak execution. I can only assume that his reputation as a writer can only mean that he got better in a hurry. Still worth reading. It just seemed (to me) that ugh a huge story had a too small cast of characters.

Top Bottom