• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2013)

nathstdrgns1-1.jpg

It's an autobiography of a fantasy character whose had a lifelong passion for studying Dragons. I'm about halfway through it at the moment, and it's an interesting take on a classic genre.

scar-china-mieville-paperback-cover-art.jpg

I love China Mieville's world building and characters. The story overall has its ups and downs, mostly a feeling that it's meandering. I read Perdido Street Station some time ago, but I think I enjoyed that more than this book.

I haven't seen the movie, but the characters in the book don't look alike.
There is one important character in each of the "eras" with a specific birthmark, though, but there is no obvious connection between those "marked" characters.
That is what infuriated me after reading Cloud Atlas.
I do not see anything but loose connections between the characters and what the comet birthmark is supposed to symbolize.
Time to search the internets for the truth.

Fjordson

Wait a minute. King Arthur was a real historical person? All this time, I thought he was just a made up character like Hercules or the Wizard of Oz. So was there really a Merlin the Magician?
It's debated, but there's definitely a school of thought that he was a real person who fought against the Anglo-Saxons. But others claim that he's merely folklore and/or legend.

With Merlin, I remember reading that the Merlin from the Arthurian legends is based on a few different historical figures. So I don't think there was an actual singular Merlin, but I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I studied this stuff in school.

Nymerio

Finished Death Masks yesterday while stuck in traffic. I think up to now I've liked each Dresden Files book more than the previous. Death Mask spoilers:
Harry going ballistic on that Denarian, throwing him a quarter for the pay phone and the exchange with the knights in the car afterwards was amazing. I've also noticed that Harry's jokes got funnier throughout the books. The only thing that was a bit anti climactic was the duel against Ortega, seemed like it was over too fast. Ebenezar calling to ask about Harry's telescope and the russian sattelite and then dropping that thing on Ortega's villa was all kinds of awesome as well. Dunno how I feel about superhuman Susan though...

Anyway, I'm moving on to the next book:

51sSlw+xv9L.jpg

Nezumi

Finished Death Masks yesterday while stuck in traffic. I think up to now I've liked each Dresden Files book more than the previous. Death Mask spoilers:
Harry going ballistic on that Denarian, throwing him a quarter for the pay phone and the exchange with the knights in the car afterwards was amazingo. I've also noticed that Harry's jokes got funnier throughout the books. The only thing that was a bit anti climactic was the duel against Ortega, seemed like it was over too fast. Ebenezar calling to ask about Harry's telescope and the russian sattelite and then dropping that thing on Ortega's villa was all kinds of awesome as well. Dunno how I feel about superhuman Susan though...

Well there are one or two bumps coming up qualitywise but all in all I think that every book has some scenes that stand out enough that none of them is actually bad. But if you are a fan of over the top action, you are in for quite a lot of treats. (Especially in book 7...)

I myself finished:

the_great_gatsby_2-1.jpg.aspx

All in all a short and quick read. Not a big fan of the kind of books where everything seem to happen at the end. But I can see that those dreadful long descriptions of parties are neccessary. I think if he wrote them more exiting the reader might not have seen how shallow all this people were. It reminded me of the parts in American Psycho, when the author goes on an on about clothing and god knows what.

Next up is:

An+Autumn+War.jpg

Got high hopes for this one, since the first two were outstanding. I'm quite confident that Abrahams will deliver again though.

Edit: Also finished listening to:

cover_277.jpg

Enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure on some occasion it drags a little bit because Rothfuss really likes to give details of everything (Sure I want to be told whenever the hero slows down his horse and lets it drink. Who wouldn't want to read about that...) but to be fair those details really help build the world and the story. I think there already have been enough discussion about the character of Kvothe so I'm not gonna add to that. it was an interesting story that was very well written and the end left me intrguied for the next book, which is already on my mp3 player.

Larsa

An+Autumn+War.jpg

Got high hopes for this one, since the first two were outstanding. I'm quite confident that Abrahams will deliver again though.

Well, that's pretty freaky. Just finished A Betrayal in Winter and am about to start this.

Enjoying this series. Feels pretty different and refreshing compared to other fantasy series. Plus all the posing in these books lets me imagine I'm reading Jojo's Bizarre Adventure fanfiction

Nezumi

Well, that's pretty freaky. Just finished A Betrayal in Winter and am about to start this.

Enjoying this series. Feels pretty different and refreshing compared to other fantasy series. Plus all the posing in these books lets me imagine I'm reading Jojo's Bizarre Adventure fanfiction

Yes, I really like how those books are different without abandoning what I like about fantasy completly. The just feel fresh. I have to admit though, that the posing freaked me out at the begining because it stood out so much. In the second book I hardly noticed it. Still I would have wished he would elaborate a bit more what those poses look like. If they are full-body poses or more like hand-gestures for example.

Wait a minute. King Arthur was a real historical person? All this time, I thought he was just a made up character like Hercules or the Wizard of Oz. So was there really a Merlin the Magician?

Cornwell always includes a section at the back of his novels detailing his sources of research with details of the choices and compromises he's made, so you never feel you've been misled. Here's part of what he says in The Winter King

"When I began the book I was determined to exclude every anachronism, including the embellishments of Chretien de Troyes, but such purity would have excluded Lancelot, Galahad, Excalibur and Camelot, let alone such figures as Merlin, Morgan and Nimue. Did Merlin exist? The evidence for his life is even less compelling than that for Arthur, and it is highly improbable that the two co-existed, yet they are inseparable and I found it impossible to leave Merlin out. Much anachronism could, however, happily be jettisoned, thus the fifth-century Arthur does not wear plate armour nor carry a mediaeval lance. He has no round table, though his warriors (not knights) would, in Celtic fashion, often have feasted in a circle on the ground. His castles would have been made of earth and wood, not from towering and turreted stone, and I doubt, sadly, that any arm clad in white samite, mystic and wonderful, rose from a misty mere to snatch his sword into eternity, though it is almost certain that the personal treasures of a great leader would, on his death, be cast into a lake as an offering to the Gods. Most of the characters' names in the book are drawn from records of the fifth and sixth centuries, but about the people attached to those names we know next to nothing, just as we know very little about the post-Roman kingdoms of Britain indeed modern histories even disagree on the number of kingdoms and their names. Dumnonia existed, as did Powys, while the narrator of the tale, Derfel (pronounced, in Welsh fashion, Dervel) is identified in some of the early tales as one of Arthur's warriors and it is noted that he later became a monk, but we know nothing else about him. Others, like Bishop Sansum, undoubtedly existed and remain known today as saints, though it seems precious little virtue was required of those early holy men.
The Winter King is, then, a tale of the Dark Ages in which legend and imagination must compensate for the dearth of historical records."

hermit7

Finished the Jungle last week, have started and am about half way through Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick right now.

Next up, I am going to read The Shining, or maybe Destiny of the Republic a book about the assassination of James A. Garfield.

Hmm these seem interesting. Added it to my wishlist. Question though - upon further review of Cornwell, it seems like he has series covering different time periods. Is there a suggested reading order for his books/series?

There's only really arguments over whether to read the Sharpe novels in chronological or published order as a couple of the later books are prequels.

Other than that just read the ones on historical periods that pique your curiosity ...

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished reading Crichton's The Terminal Man. Generally medical themed dramas bore me almost as much as crime fiction but this was really good. Maybe I just relate to the fat, balding, neurotic, thirty four year old IT industry worker as the primary character though.

It's also interesting reading an older Crichton novel that was published in 1972, prior to the prevalence of computers in the workplace. Most of the forward looking science has long since become integrated into medicine and society.

Hopefully by 2030, Crichton's Jurassic Park will appear equally dated when every home has a pet genetically engineered dinosaur.

It's a very quick read as well, so I could definitely recommend it as something to power through between larger novels.

dmag1223

Just finished:

FRlPTxu.jpg

One of the best novels I've read in some time. I'd watched the movie before I read the book, so it kind of took away some of the impact, though.

Dresden

Finished The Middle Passage by Charles Johnson tonight.

ftj2wdN.jpg

Johnson may not give a damn about historical consistency, but there's such force to the narrative that, in combination with the short length of the book itself, I finished it in one sitting. Bothered by some of the more implausible elements, but still, a Good Book.

Retrocide

Finished the Jungle last week, have started and am about half way through Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick right now.

Next up, I am going to read The Shining, or maybe Destiny of the Republic a book about the assassination of James A. Garfield.
Just started The Man in the high Castle myself. I'm trying to get myself back into the flow of reading books again after a period of inactivity

kinger256

Started getting into some Russian novels. I finished this one.

ab20f70d19e83beaa1e3e5decd17bddb_1M.png

Brilliant and funny. Loved the way satan was displayed, along with it's version of biblical events and how it contrasts to the bible. Not sure if it was pro-religion, anti-religion or purposely left ambiguous, but the "good vs evil" (Jesus vs Satan) moral theme plays a large part.

Lot of references to other russian poetry and literature works. Sadly wasn't able to understand most of them.

Next up

war-peace.jpg

tumblr_lpz6tjebS61r0r77ho1_400.jpg

dr+Z.jpg

finished last night

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

GF just read this and was going on about it, so I gave it a shot and.... hoooooly shit.. equal parts terrifying and fascinating.
Amy Dunne literally scares the shit out of me.

Also picked this up off of amazon for 99 cents and was pleasantly surprised.

The Martian by Andy Weir

About an astronaut who gets stranded on mars and must survive. Really well done, enjoyed it.

Reyne

Just finished.
Ig0o8X7.jpg

I don't think I need to say much since I figure pretty much everyone has already read it. At any rate, I liked it. Very inspiring read.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko translated by Andrew Bromfield.

Russian take on urban fantasy set in Moscow. I actually really enjoyed it. Didn't have the bad ass protagonist or wise cracking sidekick that's so prevalent in the genre.

ShaneB

Yeah I wasn't expecting much, but ended up really liking it. Kinda reminded me of Castaway, except on Mars.

Keep the recommendations coming. this sounds like something I'd love as well. Survival stories I love, Sci-fi I love, Sci-fi Survival... a win win!

Fintan

Just finished reading Crime And Punishment, the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. The writing is slightly loose, rapid, but it feels very purposefully put together. The Svidrigailov and Porfiry scenes are just brilliantly written. The whole thing is really. I loved how getting in Raskolnikov's messy head and thoughts, and the slow build to his redemption is really satisfying.

I've never really read a book like it before. I'm probably going to read something different now, but I'd love some Russian literature recommendations.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
Just finished:

61JWropvoHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I LOVED the Farseer Trilogy, but I thought this book was pretty bland. I went in with high expectations, I guess. I don't think I'll continue with the series since there's just too much else on my list.

Now onto:

61225xe4nwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

and halfway through:

51KpQAJppwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Loving it. Getting a ton out of it even though it can be pretty preachy.

FYI to fellow King fans. Saw the news that he has a new book coming out in June ...

Joyland by Stephen King

Set in a small-town North Carolina amusement park in 1973, Joyland tells the story of the summer in which college student Devin Jones comes to work as a carny and confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the ways both will change his life forever.

Osorio

9780312429539.jpg

Halfway through and disappointed so far. Every time I become interested in a story he's retelling, he brings it back to the present.

125902.jpg

Starting this one tonight.

bengraven

Finished the First Law trilogy and want to read Red Country quite badly. Am I missing anything by skipping the first two standalone (for now)?

I know Shivers is in Cold and tons of minor characters are in Heroes but I would hate to miss something important that effects the main plot from the trilogy. I'm not too deep into Cold, but not feeling it yet.

Finished the First Law trilogy and want to read Red Country quite badly. Am I missing anything by skipping the first two standalone (for now)?

I know Shivers is in Cold and tons of minor characters are in Heroes but I would hate to miss something important that effects the main plot from the trilogy. I'm not too deep into Cold, but not feeling it yet.

Not really. Maybe just a little context for a couple of characters which might translate into light spoilers if you ever go back to BSC or Heroes.

ShaneB

Loving Caliban's War. I'm definitely invested in these characters, and can certainly feel tense when they're in dire situations.

bengraven

Not really. Maybe just a little context for a couple of characters which might translate into light spoilers if you ever go back to BSC or Heroes.

Yeah, I'm suspicious of "Lamb" already and there already have been some lore things that I have a feeling were discussed previously. Guess I'll go back.

Nymerio

Finished the sixth book of the Dresden Files: Blood Rites. I liked a lot (like the other Dresden Files). Murphy really came around in this one, went from the most hated character to one of my favourites.

Haven't decided what to start next. I'm thinking to either continue with book seven or take a break from the series and read The Daylight War instead. I've read the previous two books and liked them a lot so I'm intrigued about how the story progresses.

51z8-WLcRfL.jpg

or

51ybFYMkXkL.jpg

ymmv

Banned
I'm now reading Rober A. Heinlein's Methesulah's Children, originally published in Astounding Magazine in 1941. Heinlein was incredibly productive in the last pre-war year. He produced so many stories and serials that he had to use a pseudonym (Anson MacDonald) so he could have multiple stories per issue. And even the Anson MacDonald stories were classics.

astounding_science_fiction_194107.jpg

BTW The cover scan is of what I'm actually reading. I've got scans of those 1941 Astounding issues, I'm reading the original three part serial on my iPad.

Mumei

Just finished reading Crime And Punishment, the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. The writing is slightly loose, rapid, but it feels very purposefully put together. The Svidrigailov and Porfiry scenes are just brilliantly written. The whole thing is really. I loved how getting in Raskolnikov's messy head and thoughts, and the slow build to his redemption is really satisfying.

I've never really read a book like it before. I'm probably going to read something different now, but I'd love some Russian literature recommendations.

You certainly can't go wrong with The Brothers Karamazov. I read it five years after reading Crime and Punishment, but I don't recommend you wait that long!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this -

crwVI1k.jpg

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt

Pretty good.

On to this -

WeCIAbt.jpg

Lamb by Christopher Moore

which is good enough so far (~120 pages in) but is not quite as silly as I expected. The silly parts are definitely there but there is more seriousness going on than I thought there would be.

Bought two out of four of the Kindle Daily Deals today - Make Room! Make Room! (the book Soylent Green is based on) and The Cider House Rules.

sgossard

Finished

153025.jpg

Pretty good, and it's his fitst book too. Will definitely read Horns later.

17380711.jpg

4/5 stars.

11890817.jpg

Awesome. Enjoyed it a lot. He should write more non-fiction.

Sarted yesterday

830.jpg

Really fun thus far.

Top Bottom