• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2015)

Dispatch

I just found this thread, so even thought it's late in the month, I'll join in.

For fun: I'm reading The Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb. It feels like Game of Thrones with fewer zombies and houses to keep track of. I'm enjoying it, as it's the second book in the series.

For work: I'm rereading 1984 for the fifth time, as I'm teaching Honors English 12 again.

Yeah, I've done that before too. At least people in here are pretty considerate with their spoiler bars, a lot of threads I'm in people just drop spoilers willy-nilly. A travesty!

--

I'm reading this:
21927525.jpg

now. Seems fun enough. Soon I'll reread the Hobbit and finally read the LOTR books.

Huh, there's a book series too? I'm going to have to check these out.

mu cephei

I just found this thread, so even thought it's late in the month, I'll join in.

For fun: I'm reading The Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb. It feels like Game of Thrones with fewer zombies and houses to keep track of. I'm enjoying it, as it's the second book in the series.

For work: I'm rereading 1984 for the fifth time, as I'm teaching Honors English 12 again.

<3 Hobb :)

2278770.jpg
828878.jpg
816.jpg

I'm currently reading 'One of Us' by Michael Marshall Smith, 'The Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. Howard, and I'm listening to Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

One of Us has gangs of coffee machines marauding the streets at night, and the main character has a rather fraught relationship with his alarm clock. There's a plot in there somewhere. It's sci fi noir with a big dose of humour.

I just love the over-the-top way the Chronicles of Conan is written. Why have one adjective when you can have three? The stories so far are a little bit underwhelming, though. And yeah, it's racist and sexist.

I started Cryptonomicon a few years ago, got about a third of the way through it, and got bored. I went back to it recently and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I have no idea what I was thinking before. But maybe after another third I'll get bored again, this thing is long long long.

Nuke Soda

Started reading House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Really it so far, unsettling book to be reading at 1 in the morning lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I read it thanks to a rec from Dresden years back. That's how I started on the Chiang Train.

So now you know it's doubly good.

Jimothy

Expanding on my Stephen King reading... started this.

9255730.jpg
I just read this over the last couple days. I work at a job that has me on my feet all day so Reading it after work made the details of the leg/back pain even more legit. I was reading IT but stalled out halfway through so this was a great reminder that King can write short-ish stuff really well.

Donos

I'm just through 1/3 of Stephen King's 11/22/63 and so far i like it. I always think "what would i do in these situations?".
This book also reminds me of "The Time Traveler's Wife" which is still one of my all time favourites.
Going to get a bit slower with reading since i just grabbed a PS4.

Necrovex

Completed A Visit From the Goon Squad. Very impressive book. I seldom see an author successfully changing one's writing style every chapter. I didn't love it as much as some people, but I fully understand why it won a Pultzer in fiction.

I haven't decided on my next novel. Thinking about The Martian. Though I am getting pretty interested in finally tackling some of King's famous works.

I believe I read it because of the praise from NakedSushi. So you know its good. :b

Hah, I hope that was sarcastic because I've been reading some crappy things. BUT, yes to Merchant & Alchemist Gate. It was available for free a while back and I think you can still find it here if you want to just read that one for free:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080214145811/http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/fiction/tc01.htm

I did get done reading this one. It was along the same lines of Nothing to Envy, and better written than Escape from Camp 14. Instead of talking about the poor class or defectors, it's about the upper class's college-aged sons, which was also enlightening.

Without You, There Is No Us: My Time with the Sons of North Korea's Elite by Suki Kim

It gets really emotional at times, especially when Kim talks about her family's trauma. I was reading this while eating lunch out one time and couldn't stop crying in public. How embarrassing!

Donos

It was a solid 4/5, nearing a 5/5 for me. I am surprised about the heated debate this book receives regarding its quality.

Edit: I might also read The Time Traveler's Wife as my next book. Too many choices!

+1 for time traveler's wife. Read through a whole night (and went to work the next day) because i couldn't stop.

Just finished Going Postal

started Making Money. I love moist von lipwig. also discworld is so much fun to jump into from time to time.

Stasis

Whoever had recommended "The long way to a small, angry planet"...

Thanks! I picked it up based on the recommend and I'm loving it. Hope there will be more, either this becoming a series or more novels based in the world she's created.

X-Frame

Whoever had recommended "The long way to a small, angry planet"...

Thanks! I picked it up based on the recommend and I'm loving it. Hope there will be more, either this becoming a series or more novels based in the world she's created.

Think that was me -- and yep I am reading it too and about 25% in and enjoying it a lot! This type of book was exactly what I've been looking for.

It starts out similar to "Fortune's Pawn" but better in every way I'd say.

Mollymauk

I just finished The Passing Bells, and it really moved me. It clearly influenced Downton Abbey, but there is far less downstairs, and far more western front. I'm curious to see where the rest of the trilogy goes since book one was so heavily centered on the war.

I thought it was just fantastic.

The Passing Bells by Phillip Rock

Mr.Swag

Banned
Reading my first Junot Diaz "This is how you lose her"

And wow. This is some relatable shit.
should have read this earlier

fakefaker

Finished up The Martian by Andy Weir and thought it was pretty good. There was tons of the nerdy techno stuff, but very little on the human experience part which would have fleshed it out more. I give it a 3 outta 5.

Now onto Cold Hillside by Nancy Baker.

22529721.jpg

Mr.Swag

Banned
Just found out I can put my kindle in landscape mode :/
With the amazon leather case I can view it at good angle laying in bed.

Working my way through Broken Monsters, Devil in the White City, Persepolis, and This is How You Lose Her.
Maybe I should finish a book before starting another, but all four books are so different that Its not difficult to keep track.

Gonna read Stoner when it arrives in the mail, might be finished with these four by then.

Nuke Soda

In House of Leaves got to the part where it wanted you to go to appendix 2 and read all of Johnny Truant's Mothers letters, that was exhausting. Enlightening, but exhausting. Too tired to read normal chapters now haha.

Reading my first Junot Diaz "This is how you lose her"

And wow. This is some relatable shit.
should have read this earlier

You'll want to read Drown ASAP. Almost all of Diaz's stories are linked and that begins with Drown, his first collection.

Also I'd argue it's still his best work.

Nuke Soda

Fuck that, Johnny Truant was annoying enough without reading through that whole thing on top of it. I just ignored that part.

Spoilers: It wasn't worth it, gave very little we already didn't know.

Here is a little cliff notes if you gotta know without reading:
1. Mother is in mental care facility for trying to strangle kid Johnny.
2. Johnny was a punk always getting in fights.
3. One foster parent beat the shit out of Johnny.
4. Mother gets crazier as letters go on making less sense. (Best bits of the section)
5. She hangs herself.

Mumei

Haven't done this in almost three weeks!

Finished:

818028.jpg
578205.jpg
818025.jpg

20518855.jpg
1166599.jpg
8253920.jpg

18050012.jpg
8385283.jpg
22391541.jpg

1001544.jpg
162556.jpg
18527225.jpg

22259997.jpg

And

1126326.jpg
through
1734764.jpg

17368270.jpg
(1) through
19539416.jpg
(6)

Currently Reading:

18222745.jpg
12488.jpg

I was rather disappointed by Ovid, especially after Metamorphoses, but I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised that poetry with romantic instruction for men and women millennia ago wasn't really very interesting for me. Oh well.

The Search for Modern China was excellent, and I have The People's Republic of Amnesia: Tiananmen Revisited out from the library now because that edition of The Search for Modern China ends around the time of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. I'll also have to check out that list of books Piecake made for me again!

The Superior Spider-Man story started strong, but it ultimately felt a bit lightweight in the end. Banana Fish is excellent and any fan of manga should read it. It starts a bit slow, but once it finds its conspiracy thriller stride it's smooth sailing from then on.

I'm barely into Cosmicomics (two stories) or Cry, the Beloved Country (the introductory stuffs), so no real comment on those yet!

Finally picked up some books again lately. Here we go.

Thedarktower7.jpg

The Dark Tower Part 7 - The Dark Tower
Glad I finished the series, but it went really downhill after Wolves of the Calla. Lots of things seemed to go nowhere. Major spoilers:
Really, what the hell was the whole Mordred thing. Or that vampire in the end. And the Red King stuff was handled so strange, among other things. Did really like the epilogue.

51djiBUnSyL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Veronica Mars: Mr. Kiss and Tell
Liked the previous novel, this one is also good. Looking forward to more. If you liked the series, you'll probably like the books also.

61da4v6jdl-_sl1024_2.jpg

Half Way Home
Good start, terrible ending. It's about a group of people colonizing another planet, they are 'grown' there but the process is only halfway done when they are forced out of their growing tubes. After that it is figuring out what went wrong and why. Not bad, read it rather quickly, but wouldn't recommend it also.

1536419.jpg

Killing Rommel: A Novel
Nice book about World War Two and the African campaign. Didn't know much about it, but this was a nice way to read more about that part of the war, despite the main storyline being made up of course (it's about a Long Range Desert Group unit trying to find Rommel and kill him). Liked how it intersected with real events though.

Now on to:

The_Man_in_the_High_Castle.jpg

Man in the High Castle
25% through. Good read so far and looking forward to learning more about the world in the book.

squarerootofpie

Neo Member
Somebody's probably mentioned this, but I've been meaning to read "Ready Player One"
for a while, and it ended up being in this months Lootcrate! One day in and I'm almost finished, it's absolutely addictive.

Ready_Player_One_cover.jpg

Trey

721679.jpg

World building is a delicate process. You ultimately have to immerse a wide variety readers in a world that only exists in their imagination. I think the most important bit when doing this is to avoid writing stuff that will immediately remind the reader that it's all made up. The characterization has to be on point because that's the most potent hook to get people into your world.

It's annoying to have an even somewhat interesting setting undone by the weakness of the characters. The characters Revis populates her world with are paper thin. Childlike by even YA standards.

Xeroblade

Somebody's probably mentioned this, but I've been meaning to read "Ready Player One"
for a while, and it ended up being in this months Lootcrate! One day in and I'm almost finished, it's absolutely addictive.

Ready_Player_One_cover.jpg

I loved Ready Player One and was super excited that it came in lootcrate. I still don't understand why it gets such bad rap here at The Gaf. Anyways I am currently over half done with The Martian, I am liking it so far.

Reading both of these at the same time. Both are interesting views into the world of movies, one broad and one specific.

20448528.jpg
21412202.jpg

From what I can gather, Wallace Shawn hated working on that movie and even being interviewed for the book. He's the only one who sounds 'salty' about the whole experience, from the casting to the acting to the directing. For example, he says that before he did any scene he made Rob go through it in it's entirety, acting it out, and then used that as his basis for what he did and even then thinking, "How would Danny Devito do this?". He also said that the only reason he fell over when he 'died' is because Rob Reiner said it would be funny. wtf. Makes me look at that performance in a whole different light, you know.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's going to be really difficult for young adults 20 years in the future to enjoy Ready Player One. The book literally dates itself, and not in the same way, for example, that a period story dates itself.

Mumei

It's going to be really difficult for young adults 20 years in the future to enjoy Ready Player One. The book literally dates itself, and not in the same way, for example, that a period story dates itself.

How is the way it dates itself different from the way that a period story dates itself?

I haven't read it; just curious.

How is the way it dates itself different from the way that a period story dates itself?

I haven't read it; just curious.

It's dated by whether you experienced the 80's or not. Yes? Congrats, you get the references. No? Then it's going to be a lot of "this is like reading Ulysses drunk."

Or, you know, not drunk. Doesn't really matter. ;)

Top Bottom