• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2015)

Laieon

eRoJavS.jpg

Should be required reading for anyone living in Texas.

Osorio

Couldn't sleep last night/this morning (I'm so tired...) and started reading this. It's so good! I've hardly made a dent in this significant text, but it's such a quick read—the style just sorta promotes burning through paragraph after paragraph.

Yeah David Peace is a fun read. I haven't read anything of his other than The Damned Utd but his writing style definitely made me feel the same psychosis as the main character.

ShaneB

Finished up Life is a Wheel last night. Really enjoyed it and gave it 4/5. Part travel log and part memoir, it was an enjoyable read. My small town background is certainly what pulls me to enjoy reading about those middle of nowhere destinations, and really felt I had a lot in common with the author. edit: His cycling tour of Vietnam story was really interesting as well, it's an easy book to recommend for any cycling enthusiast since he talks a fair bit about his choice of paths and directions and whatnot (been years since I've rode a bike, but I just like a great adventure type of story) I'll be reading his baseball book sometime soon I am sure.

Will decide what is next on my lunch break.

Finished this:

51Efu5g1QeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Miles's first novel, Dear American Airlines, is a favorite of mine, and his second (this one) has him broadening his scope to 3 sets of characters that are (very) loosely related, told via about 8 different POVs. Good stuff.

This brave new world we live in can be pretty cool. I was finishing the book (Kindle app on my phone) while wedged into bleachers at a high school swim meet, when one particular section made me laugh out loud. I immediately Googled Miles, found his website with his email address, sent him a quick note about how much I liked the book and how it made me laugh out loud in a public setting. Sent the email, and went back to reading. And I got a very nice reply from him before the meet was even over. How cool is that?

Interesting, I felt Abaddon's Gate was far far worse than the first two and that Cibola Burn started to point the series back into a better direction.
I enjoyed Abaddon's Gate a lot, up until near the end when I realized it wasn't the end of the trilogy and found out they had more books to come, so they had to change their ending. I'm hoping Nemesis Games gets me back into the series again, it seems like the focus is going to be shifted away from the protomolecule and what made it for a while.

My grandma gave me an Amazon gift card for my birthday last week, so I bought a bunch of new eBooks for Kindle, so I figured I'd get through some of the books I already have. I've burned through The Hobbit Chapter IX-XVI, and I'm almost done. I'll start on The Disaster Artist (about Tommy Wiseau's The Room) when I'm done.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys I need your help... This is a long shot but it's been killing me for the last couple of days.

I'm trying to remember the title of a novel I read about 15-20years ago. All I can remember is that the story revolved a Russian (or maybe even Soviet) Cosmos/Kosmos satellite.

I think it was something about kids finding out that one of the satellite would destroy a space shuttle if they don't stop it before launch or something like that. They end up getting help from a rich dude that owns a theme park.

By all accounts I bet that it wasn't a very good book but I was a kid back then so I'm really curious to find it again.

Thanks!

Pau

After reading The Thief, City of Stairs and The Goblin Emperor, I just want to read more fantasy in that vein. It's nice and comfortable and makes for a good change in between all the research I have to do. Any suggestions?

Pau

Anyone? *shakes thread*
I thought the execution for The Man in the High Castle was really poor. A good idea; boring plot and characters. People in this thread seem to think differently though, so might just be me! Can't speak for the others.

Piecake

After reading The Thief, City of Stairs and The Goblin Emperor, I just want to read more fantasy in that vein. It's nice and comfortable and makes for a good change in between all the research I have to do. Any suggestions?

The Riyria Revelations? Its basically a fun, buddy-cop adventure in a fantasy setting (that does get 'epic').

Going by the books you listed, I am guessing you do not want some epic, depressing grimdark series. I honestly had trouble thinking of anything and not totally positive that the book I mentioned is what you are looking for.

FUME5

Decided to give Gibson another chance after being severely disappointed with his last few books, so far The Peripheral seems like a return to form.

Anyone? *shakes thread*

A Scanner Darkly is a phenomenal book and movie. Easily a top ten for me in both categories.

“What does a scanner see? he asked himself. I mean, really see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does a passive infrared scanner like they used to use or a cube-type holo-scanner like they use these days, the latest thing, see into me - into us - clearly or darkly? I hope it does, he thought, see clearly, because I can't any longer these days see into myself. I see only murk. Murk outside; murk inside. I hope, for everyone's sake, the scanners do better. Because, he thought, if the scanner sees only darkly, the way I myself do, then we are cursed, cursed again and like we have been continually, and we'll wind up dead this way, knowing very little and getting that little fragment wrong too.”

Pau

The Riyria Revelations? Its basically a fun, buddy-cop adventure in a fantasy setting (that does get 'epic').

Going by the books you listed, I am guessing you do not want some epic, depressing grimdark series. I honestly had trouble thinking of anything and not totally positive that the book I mentioned is what you are looking for.

Thanks! Optimistic is definitely what I'm looking for. I've read a few on the list and yeah, that's what I'm trying to find more of. I don't mind "epic" as long as the novel doesn't get bogged down by it. If that makes any sense.

Piecake

Tell me more about this buddy-cop

I want to read Elven Rush Hour 2

God, its been a while so I can't really explain it well. Basically, its about two dudes who are good friends that go on fun adventures, go through some trials and tribulations, be best buds, do epic shit, epic shit happens to them, etc

Pastry

Banned
Still my favorite Larson book. And once you read it it, you'll never visit Galveston the same way again.

I read it when I was living in Galveston lol. It's been a couple of years though so I might read it again. There's a cool museum in Galveston with a really cool short movie on the hurricane.

Thanks! Optimistic is definitely what I'm looking for. I've read a few on the list and yeah, that's what I'm trying to find more of. I don't mind "epic" as long as the novel doesn't get bogged down by it. If that makes any sense.
Some great reads on that list. Bujold is excellent and Crowley's Little, Big is one of my favorites.

If you don't mind a plug for an indie GAF author, my own book, Ahvarra fits into this space as well.

Nymerio

Finished Ancillary Justice yesterday. What a book. Loved every single page. After almost a year where I read almost nothing that really gripped me this book came out of nowhwere. Five stars alllllll the way.

besada

Banned
And I just finished Ancillary Sword, which I really enjoyed.

That said, it is really taking its time to deal with the overarching storyline. At this rate it'll take twenty books to get the thing told. I can't complain too much, as I'm enjoying the diversions, tableware, penis festivals, and mourning customs, all.

Trouble

Banned
Still my favorite Larson book. And once you read it it, you'll never visit Galveston the same way again.

Devil in the White City is still my favorite, but Isaac's Storm is a pretty close second. I'm going to dive into Thunderstruck after finishing 11/22/63.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
And I just finished Ancillary Sword, which I really enjoyed.

That said, it is really taking its time to deal with the overarching storyline. At this rate it'll take twenty books to get the thing told. I can't complain too much, as I'm enjoying the diversions, tableware, penis festivals, and mourning customs, all.

It's a trilogy. Concludes with Ancillary Mercy this year. ;)

The Goldfinch isnt too bad. Its just long by about 200 pages.

I don't regret reading it.

It was completely pointless for one. I have never been this far out of step with popular opinion in terms of a book. Unless you're looking for a chronicle of high-functioning addiction, I just didn't find anything interesting about it. I read the whole thing, fully expecting there to be a payoff. There isn't one. Plot? I don't need a plot, believe me, but if you write a novel that has one, it needs to go somewhere.

Yes, Boris was kind of amusing. Kind of.

besada

Banned
It's a trilogy. Concludes with Ancillary Mercy this year. ;)

Then I suspect it's either going to have a set of trilogies, or the pace is going to have to change considerably. The second book barely advances the story at all.

Or maybe there's just much less story than it appears. That would be disappointing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't know how Leckie is going to resolve Breq's story in one more book, because Sword was almost entirely a detour.

It would be a shame if she left it at 3 books, the universe feels so deep and has so much potential.

survivor

Banned
The Goldfinch was great for the first 300 pages, felt like it managed well to deal with the aftrrmath of what happened to Theo. But then it just kept going on and on till it became hard to keep reading it.

Cade

Just finished Man in the High Castle. Good stuff, ending fell a bit flat for me after a really interesting bit just before that, so I ended up not liking it as much as I could have. Kind of felt more like a slice of a world than a novel, with little resolution to a lot of plot threads. I liked it a lot though, the worldbuilding was fantastic. Go with that Jintor :mad:

aidan

Then I suspect it's either going to have a set of trilogies, or the pace is going to have to change considerably. The second book barely advances the story at all.

Or maybe there's just much less story than it appears. That would be disappointing.

I don't know how Leckie is going to resolve Breq's story in one more book, because Sword was almost entirely a detour.

It would be a shame if she left it at 3 books, the universe feels so deep and has so much potential.

I'd argue that Breq's story is
about her reconciling the fact that she's no longer an ancillary and is becoming more individually human. Ancillary Sword deeply explored this. That narrative is then set against a much larger narrative - Anaander Mianaai's war against herself - which will probably be continued through Leckie's other novels/series set in the Radch universe.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd argue that Breq's story is
about her reconciling the fact that she's no longer an ancillary and is becoming more individually human. Ancillary Sword deeply explored this.
I can see that, but I also feel
she is so intimately involved in Anaander's schemes against herself that I don't see how Ancillary Mercy can give her closure without also resolving Anaander's conflict. She can't obtain the conclusion she needs so long as she's working for Anaander.

The only way to do so is if she abandons her mission, unlikely given her moral character, or dies, which is possible although I really don't want her to die.

aidan

I can see that, but I also feel
she is so intimately involved in Anaander's schemes against herself that I don't see how Ancillary Mercy can give her closure without also resolving Anaander's conflict. She can't obtain the conclusion she needs so long as she's working for Anaander.

The only way to do so is if she abandons her mission, unlikely given her moral character, or dies, which is possible although I really don't want her to die.

Further to our discussion, I've just found the back cover blurb for Ancillary Mercy:

For a moment, things seem to be under control for the soldier known as Breq. Then a search of Atheok Station's slums turns up someone who shouldn't exist - someone who might be an ancillary from a ship that's been hiding beyond the empire's reach for three thousand years. Meanwhile, a messenger from the alien and mysterious Presger empire arrives, as does Breq's enemy, the divided and quite possibly insane Anaander Mianaai - ruler of an empire at war with itself.

Anaander is heavily armed and extremely unhappy with Breq. She could take her ship and crew and flee, but that would leave everyone at Athoek in terrible danger. Breq has a desperate plan. The odds aren't good, but that's never stopped her before.

Which gives us a much better idea of the direction that the third volume is going to take (and doesn't entirely support my theory!)

Mostly focusing on readings for classes. For funsies, I'm midway through "A Storm of Swords" and have also been poking at the CIA history "Legacy of Ashes" before bed every few nights.

Cade

I always click, and then I click again when I realize it's something I haven't read. :x

Yeah, I've done that before too. At least people in here are pretty considerate with their spoiler bars, a lot of threads I'm in people just drop spoilers willy-nilly. A travesty!

--

I'm reading this:
21927525.jpg

now. Seems fun enough. Soon I'll reread the Hobbit and finally read the LOTR books.

Top Bottom