• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2015)

Zona

And let us not forget braid pulling and foot stamping.

Thank you Sushi for the Agency recommend. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Rvhth.gif

I'm currently reading The Walled Orchard by Tom Holt. It's the fake autobiography of the Athenian comedic poet and playwright Eupolis. The humor is dark and dry, just the way I like it. I'm waiting for whomever has City of Stairs out at my local library, late I might add, to return it so I can read it next.

Mumei

One of these days I'll quote those posts where you guys talk about the last book - but not today!

I think the biggest difference between Jordan and Sanderson is that Sanderson writes his sentences with somewhat of an abruptness, whereas Jordan tends to have his sentences go on longer with a heavy use of dashes.

It has very little impact on storytelling but I found it an interesting contrast.

This is true, yes. And Jordan's descriptive narration tends to be more... I don't know. Vivid? I suppose that's the word.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, I mixed up two related but somewhat different theodicies there. The temperature one goes something like this:
-cold is just the absence of heat
-dark is just the absence of light
-therefore, evil is just the absence of good
-QED, problem of evil solved!

That does not work.
And it doesn't define good either...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I read 8 of the 10 Malazan books. Is it worth it to finish the last 2? They are all so long, with so many characters. Sometimes it's a bit of a slog to get through them, but when it's good, IT'S GOOD.

Finished Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell by Aldous Huxley yesterday. It's a very interesting essay about his experiences with mescaline. Truth to be told, I decided to read it because I liked the world building of Brave New World and found the book laying around one of my house's bookshelves.

I'm also halfway through The Death of Vishnu, by Manil Suri. It's been entertaining so far. I really like to read about foreign cultures because, no matter how far we are from each other or how different their culture is to ours, we're still human. We still feel the same emotions, we still have the same kind of doubts and the like.

I've also decided my next book will be Dos Crímenes (Two crimes) by Jorge Ibargüengoitia. I hope I can start it on Monday.

Krowley

One of these days I'll quote those posts where you guys talk about the last book - but not today!

This is true, yes. And Jordan's descriptive narration tends to be more... I don't know. Vivid? I suppose that's the word.

My only exposure to Sanderson so far is the three WOT books he wrote, but I came away with the impression that Jordan had a better ear for poetry in language, while Sanderson wastes fewer words.

Overall I prefer Jordan's writing style. There is a weight in it that wasn't there in the Sanderson books. Sanderson seemed like more of a surface guy--this happens, that happens, action, action, action--while Jordan delved deeper into character motivations, and generally spent more time on the little things. The result is that Sanderson's books are like a rollercoaster ride that leaves you feeling breathless, while Jordan's books--the good ones, anyway--are a bit less intense, but leave a more lasting impression.

That being said, I still thought Sanderson finished the series very well, and those books are highly enjoyable in their own way. With all the stuff that happens in them, it probably would've taken Jordan five or six more books to get it all out.

justjohn

Still kicking myself that I stalled out on this one (forgot why, exactly) with only like 200 pages to go. I may make another run at it.

How did you find it`? like some other russian novels I've read, its quite deep and you really have to concentrate hard to grasp whats happening.
i think I can only read about 4 or 5 chapters before taking a break.

Mumei

That does not work.
And it doesn't define good either...

It's not an attempt to give a definition of "good". Theodicy is the attempt to explain why a good God would permit evil to exist. And yes, it is rather unsatisfying. I haven't come across one that isn't.

besada

Banned
It's not an attempt to give a definition of "good". Theodicy is the attempt to explain why a good God would permit evil to exist. And yes, it is rather unsatisfying. I haven't come across one that isn't.
Another reminder that you should read James Morrow's Towing Jehovah trilogy. The third books is all about theodicy, as a man puts the corpse of God on trial for crimes against humanity.

Woorloog

Banned
Another reminder that you should read James Morrow's Towing Jehovah trilogy. The third books is all about theodicy, as a man puts the corpse of God on trial for crimes against humanity.

I am imagining such scene literally. It is kind of macabre and odd, yet at the same time hilarious, in black comedy-way. Gotta put it to my notes, will make a good RPG quest/scene if nothing else.

How did you find it`? like some other russian novels I've read, its quite deep and you really have to concentrate hard to grasp whats happening.
i think I can only read about 4 or 5 chapters before taking a break.

It wasn't a light read, for sure. I don't have a lot of Russian lit under my belt, but it struck me as fairly dry emotion-wise, which I assume is fairly standard...

besada

Banned
I am imagining such scene literally. It is kind of macabre and odd, yet at the same time hilarious, in black comedy-way. Gotta put it to my notes, will make a good RPG quest/scene if nothing else.
Well, the first book in the triology is Towing Jehovah, a story about the captain of an Exxon Valdez equivalent who is called on by angels to tow the dead body of God from the middle of the ocean where it fell to a specially carved tomb of ice in the arctic circle. So there's definitely some dark humor there. Later in the trilogy, a fundamentalist group buys the body and displays it in a theme park. It's a remarkably good series, as is his collection of short stories, Biblle Stories for Adults.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, the first book in the triology is Towing Jehovah, a story about the captain of an Exxon Valdez equivalent who is called on by angels to tow the dead body of God from the middle of the ocean where it fell to a specially carved tomb of ice in the arctic circle. So there's definitely some dark humor there. Later in the trilogy, a fundamentalist group buys the body and displays it in a theme park. It's a remarkably good series, as is his collection of short stories, Biblle Stories for Adults.

Oh. I assumed it was more of a metaphorical thing rather than literal.
Probably should make a note somewhere to read that book if i ever come across it.

Cerity

Started reading that Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel book. After the first 2 chapters, I'm kind of... too intimidated to go back to it

Masenkame

Morrow's novels were recommended by the hosts of the Coode Street Podcast a while back, which is where I'd heard of him first. Then a couple weeks ago, they talked with him.

EPISODE 217: JAMES MORROW, SF, SATIRE, RELIGION, AND OTHER MATTERS

A couple weeks ago they had Harlan Ellison and William Schafer from Subterranean Press on, for a lengthy and interesting conversation. Next week, they have William Gibson.

And in general, I heartily recommend the podcast. The hosts, Jonathan and Gary always have well-informed conversations about SFF, as well as many great guests to have them with.

Regiruler

Well, I mixed up two related but somewhat different theodicies there. The temperature one goes something like this:
-cold is just the absence of heat
-dark is just the absence of light
-therefore, evil is just the absence of good
-QED, problem of evil solved!

My biggest issue is that, according to Christian Theology, evil is a byproduct of free will, and does not originate from Satan or his analogues. Now, the Wheel of Time is not Christian doctrine by any stretch of the imagination, but to deliberately set up numerous parallels and then deliberately defy one of it's tenets in a move that forces the universe to go through the bullshit time and time again in order to preserve free will made me pull my hair out.

I felt like it mostly worked as presented in the story. But thinking about it later,
it's a lot like the painfully trite theodicies you get any time anyone brings up the problem of evil. "No, think about it! Could good really exist without evil? It's just like temperature!"

Haha, yes. I didn't mind it, exactly, I had just hoped for more.

My biggest issue is that, according to Christian Theology, evil is a byproduct of free will, and does not originate from Satan or his analogues. Now, the Wheel of Time is not Christian doctrine by any stretch of the imagination, but to deliberately set up numerous parallels and then deliberately defy one of it's tenets in a move that forces the universe to go through the bullshit time and time again in order to preserve free will made me pull my hair out.

Yeah it's frustrating, I agree. I do have to admit that I guess we were warned time and time again - no beginnings, no endings, each Age repeats, etc. being said in every book over and over...but I had hoped *this time* would be different.

LProtag

Started reading that Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel book. After the first 2 chapters, I'm kind of... too intimidated to go back to it

I'm at the halfway point now and the story really starts pulling you in once you're introduced to Jonathan Strange. A lot of other plotlines start to pop up and little hints to what is going to happen in the future keep appearing, it's really rather gripping.

There's definitely a slow build to it, but that serves to make the world a very real place. It's pretty gratifying once you start knowing who characters are talking about because you heard about those figures mentioned in footnotes previously. Really makes you feel like you have the same knowledge as all the other characters of this alternate history in a clever way.

Bazza

Revelation_Space_cover_%28Amazon%29.jpg

Finished this last night, I'm still trying to find something similar to Bank's Culture books. This isn't it but I still really enjoyed it, I'm still looking to fill my 'Culture' gap but in the mean time I think I'm going to get sucked into this series.

Most science fiction series that I read I tend to think to myself that I would quite enjoy living in the galaxy/universe that has been created, That isn't the case with this series, the universe feels really unforgiving
even though 3 of the characters who died at the end of the book were resurrected in some form or another.

Start on Chasm City this lunch I guess.

Donos

^ seems interesting. Putting it on my list.

Warhammer 40000 universe is not a place i would like to live in :)

Went to the bookstore yesterday and managed to get a few books:

The last two were on sale, so I got all three for a total of ~$20 or so. I'm a big Reacher fan and just kind of picked up the other two on a whim. I understand the Absent One is part of a series. Do I need to read the first book before I read this one? Anybody read any of these?

Woorloog

Banned
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/Revelation_Space_cover_%28Amazon%29.jpg[IMG]

Finished this last night, I'm still trying to find something similar to Bank's Culture books. This isn't it but I still really enjoyed it, I'm still looking to fill my 'Culture' gap but in the mean time I think I'm going to get sucked into this series.

Most science fiction series that I read I tend to think to myself that I would quite enjoy living in the galaxy/universe that has been created, That isn't the case with this series, the universe feels really unforgiving [SPOILER]even though 3 of the characters who died at the end of the book were resurrected in some form or another.[/SPOILER]

Start on Chasm City this lunch I guess.[/QUOTE]

Revelation Space universe is just... it is just dark. Creepy dark.
I mean, we have Warhammer 40k, but it is over the top dark, sort of crossing the line twice so it is okay. Revelation Space? Too dark and bleak.
It is OK to pretty good, depending the book but man... that darkness...

Just finished The Martian and The Girl on the Train and enjoyed both. Currently reading Alice: Adventure in Wonderland + Through the Looking Glass. I wasn't too familiar with the whole story until I played the Alice: madness returns. It's such a strange book but I like it.

91478.jpg

After the first Mistborn book and the trainwreck that was the last two books of Wayward Pines I was wanting something light and decent so I decided to finally read this. About a quarter in and I'm liking it so far. This was the rare case where I actually liked the summarization of past books in the first parts of the book. These books are such quick reads and are pretty easy to forget after a bit of time.

Jinaar

Finished the first short story in it about Fulgrim after Istvaan V. I'm really digging the books that highlight how the Traitor legions are during and just after the Heresy (KHARN was such a great book for that, as well as the Ahriman books)

Mumei

Another? I seem to have forgotten I was ever told at all!

Necrovex

Completed the Autobiography of Malcolm X earlier tonight. Phenomenal book that still remains relevant to this day. I only have one question to really ask, and that is why Mumei hasn't read this gem yet?

Finished two more recently.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan and John Green
A very quick read, it's light on prose but thick with teenage angst and romance. It had a cute story and Tiny Cooper really is an interesting character. I can see why people rave about him and look forward to the upcoming publication of "his" stage play.

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson
This was an interesting one. I was very eager to see what Sanderson could do with children's fiction.
Imagine Harry Potter with the tone of A Series of Unfortunate Events, but about 75% as good as them and you'll have Alcatraz #1.
It's a great adventure and Sanderson's typical worldbuilding (There are ten continents! Librarians control the world! There are magic-like abilities!), magic systems (The Smedry family all have very fun talents that he plays with. Alcatraz can break things, including weapons used against him, Grandpa Smedry can arrive late to things, even his own death, etc.), and a great finale. The last chapter even drags Harry Potter a bit to humorous effect.
I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series, especially now that #5 is in the works.

obin_gam

Finished Ringworld. Was great!

Now off to either the first Vorkosigan book Falling Free, or maybe continuing on with the Known Space thing with Protector?

Pau

Finished City of Stairs. I really enjoyed it, but I felt that the author could have pushed the premise more. There's a lot of potential in the world I think. Definitely left me wanting more.
Also, poor Vo. I hate when good characters die. :(

Q7hjLon.jpg

Onto Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body by Susan Bordo. It's a really personal subject for me, considering that I absolutely abhor my body and while I've never been diagnosed with eating-disorders, I've certainly done my fair share of hurting myself because of my appearance. It was originally written in 1993 though, so it really focuses on the ideal female body as completely "thin" while I think nowadays it's definitely moved towards "thin but with fat in the right places" (so, flat belly but large breasts and a large ass). I've only read the introduction and one of the essays so far. There's some stuff that really resonates, other stuff that feels pretty iffy.

Some days ago went very quickly through For One More Day.

Alborn_-_For_One_More_Day_book_cover.jpg

Straight-forward and short. Got somewhat predictable in its tone but an alright read.

besada

Banned
Finished Ringworld. Was great!

Now off to either the first Vorkosigan book Falling Free, or maybe continuing on with the Known Space thing with Protector?
Protector is good, and there are also three more direct Ringworld novels, plus four or five Puppeteer novels. The Known Space short story collections are where the best meat of Known Space are, though.

obin_gam

Protector is good, and there are also three more direct Ringworld novels, plus four or five Puppeteer novels. The Known Space short story collections are where the best meat of Known Space are, though.

yeah, am aware of the sequels, my friend ordered me to read protector first though, he said it was a necessity for even "getting" the story of Known Space.

There are exclusive Puppeteer novels? Holy damn! I love Nessus, he's so adorable! Will need to search these ones out!

besada

Banned
yeah, am aware of the sequels, my friend ordered me to read protector first though, he said it was a necessity for even "getting" the story of Known Space.

There are exclusive Puppeteer novels? Holy damn! I love Nessus, he's so adorable! Will need to search these ones out!
It makes sense to read Protector before the next Ringworld novel, though it's not strictly necessary. The Puppeteer novels start with Fleet of Worlds, and there are four of them so far. They detail the Puppeteer flight from our galaxy and happen contemporaneously with some of the Ringworld novels. You get to finally go inside Puppeteer society and undetstand how truly insane Nessus is.

Woorloog

Banned
Ringworld Engineers told me all i needed to know without having read Protector.
I'd also stop reading Ringworld after reading it, Throne and Children are not very good.

Elitist1945

Just read Catcher in the Rye for school. Thought it was pretty shit. The main character is just an unpleasant douchebag.

eznark

Banned
BTW, what exactly is your issue with The Dreaming Void?

I do remember finding it a bit odd when i first read it but i'm inclined to believe that is Hamilton's intention.
Heck, the whole trilogy seems to have some kind of meta-themes.. or perhaps theme's about meta-[something, can't figure out the word i'm looking for].
Not a real spoiler but still tagged just in-case:
Inigo's Dreams, Edeard's story... it is more or less the classic Hero's Journey with some tweaks. And the humans built a religion around it. How odd EDIT No, wait, it is not that odd.

I find it torture to read the stuff that takes place in the Void, the Edeard stuff. Just bad.

X-Frame

The_Martian_2014.jpg

Currently reading it and loving the main character

I just started this too and am enjoying it so far. I don't know yet if his journal entries will make up the entire book or if other characters will be introduced somehow, but looking forward to find out either way.

Mumei

Completed the Autobiography of Malcolm X earlier tonight. Phenomenal book that still remains relevant to this day. I only have one question to really ask, and that is why Mumei hasn't read this gem yet?

Listen. There are probably thousands of books I should read, but haven't yet. This is just another on the pile. ;)

That's possible. I have a memory like a sieve.

Oh. Well, it could be either!

Finished The Troop by Nick Cutter in quick fashion. It's been described as The Thing meets Lord of the Flies, and that's a pretty fair description. Cutter does a great job building his characters, and twisting the group dynamic as things start to go south. The parasite that worms its way through our cast is a real nasty critter and lets Cutter write some seriously nasty body horror sequences. While the main story is completely contained on the island, Cutter utilizes news articles, interviews and testimony to expand the story a bit and explain just what is happening. It's a greatly entertaining book, and definitely makes me want to check out his "second" novel The Deep fairly soon.

Up next I'm going to try another new writer out.

20639374.jpg

I've been interested in reading Tim Lebbon for a while. I've had two of his books (Dusk and Berzerk) on my Kindle for ages, so naturally I didn't start with either of them. Coldbrook is a multi-dimension zombie story and sounds like a fun way to start with him. I just started it today, and so far so good. At over 600 pages, it's a big sucker. Hopefully the rest is entertaining.

Top Bottom