• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2015)

Quick summary of what I have read over the last few weeks.

G8K7hnq.jpg

The Lost Gate 4/5

rP2LklA.jpg

The Gate Thief 3.5/5

ucjMrAd.jpg

Imager 2.5/5

vlInWAC.jpg

Furies of Calderon 3/5

7bFoSYE.jpg

Magic's Pawn 2/5

Currently in the middle of The Shadow of What Was Lost. Which is pretty good so far.

ShaneB

I started reading ''the curious incident of the dog in the night-time''

Interesting book. I'm on page 65 atm and will probably finish it by Sunday since it's a short book.

Wonderful book, one of my favourites I read last year. I will compile my list of favourites I've read in 2014 in the coming days.

I'm still slowly marching through Lonesome Dove. Switched to the paperback after getting my Dad's copy. Should make a big dent in it tomorrow since I will be travelling. I'm nearing 50%, didn't do as much reading while home as I thought I would.

11/22/63 Is fantastic. Among my favorite books from King.

I started reading ''the curious incident of the dog in the night-time''

Interesting book. I'm on page 65 atm and will probably finish it by Sunday since it's a short book.

I like it as well. I just don't read a ton, and tend to take breaks from longer books unless I've borrowed them from the library or are completely hooked. I don't know exactly why it's taken me so long to get through it, but I've been reading it slowly.

I did get a couple of books out from the library, though, so those have taken precedence.

I borrowed it from a friend, who never reads but got it for Christmas two years ago. I knew he wouldn't care if I borrowed it (or read it, let alone know it was missing), but I asked and he was fine with it.

The Lathe of Heaven [Kindle Edition] for 99 cents.

Still reading Rudolph! and it's getting weird. Almost turning into something like Dogma where you can tell a lot of research went into it but people are going to protest it based on the surface information. I mean, Santa leads a crack team of paramilitary reindeer into purgatory to save someone and kills a bunch of angels in the process. And then Heaven kills Santa and Mr. Claus and Santa goes to hell. And said paramilitary reindeer then go into Hell strapped for bear to save him. And then they bring Jesus into it and the story of how He went into Hell after being crucified to bring some people out.

It's a ride. It's also poorly edited (I blame the publisher as entire words are missing and I'm only a little under halfway through) but it's interesting.

I'm just a little ahead of you in Heat-Shaped Box. Let me know what you think of it. I'm liking the son's work more than the father at this point.

I finished it last night.

Overall, it was a pretty solid read. It didn't evolve like I expected it to, what with the whole
molestation arc
as opposed to the
suicide arc
that was first introduced, but I liked it. Not as much as I would have if he'd gone the original route, though.

I'm enjoying Joe Hill's stuff. Tried reading Mr. Mercedes, but it bored me too much. I've liked King's stuff quite a bit in the past, but haven't read a ton of it. Mercedes is the only one I've ever really stopped reading, outside of a couple I hope to finish (the JFK one and Cellular).

Cerity

PKBKKLp.jpg

Really liking the imagery in this.

So I finished this up. At parts its long winded, at other parts its just plain odd - It explores the thoughts of a dying man, bringing up random events of his life yet it starts to tell you the story of his grandfather through his fathers eyes?

Very nice imagery, to the point where it gets overbearing IMO.

Onto this.

fakefaker

My order came from the UK two weeks before the estimate, which makes me really happy as the GF has gone skiing for the weekend and I had nothing better to do. First book for 2015 will be Firefall by Peter Watts. :)

FIREFALL-Theseus.jpeg

I read a whole bunch of books in the last quarter of 2014 and didn't post anything about them, so I'll remedy that soon. Some standouts during that time were Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse, Don Delillo's White Noise, Harlan Ellison's anthology Dangerous Visions, George Saunder's Tenth of December, Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice, Jeff VanderMeer's Annihilation, and Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl.

I just started Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein.

I heard about this novel when Junot Diaz praised it and said it was an influence on The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I've been hoping for an ebook version to show up, sometime.

Yeah added that to my backlog when I heard Diaz. Loved Oscar Wao. I met him in person a few years ago at a book signing. Really great guy.

aXEOVkd.png

Picked this up at the library today. I blew through the first two books during the holiday and now can't wait to read this one. The series has been a ton of fun so far.

JadedOne

Love me some Hugh Howey, I think that's the only one I haven't read. His shorts are great too. This any good? If you like Hugh Howey check out The Martian it was one of his personal favorite last year, that's what turned me onto it.

I'm probably around 1/3 the way through and so far it's pretty good. It has a more localized personal viewpoint than his other novels which is a nice change. I say if you like Howey and his writing style, you'll enjoy it. I'll keep you updated as I keep reading if you'd like.

And thanks for the recommendation on The Martian....I'll definitely check it out once I finish with this one.

Mumei

15808458.jpg

The Safety of Objects: Stories by A.M. Homes was fantastic. You (yes, you!) should read it.

13593328.jpg

Now I'm reading Stuck in Place: Urban Neighborhoods and the End of Progress toward Racial Equality by Patrick Sharkey. It is very informative and very quotable. It's going to be on my "everyone should read this" list, I can tell.

Uzzy

Hoping to read a lot more this year, so perhaps joining in with you guys will keep me doing that. I'm currently reading House of Leaves for the GAF bookclub, along with City of Fortune, a non-fiction history book looking at the rise and decline of the Venetian trading empire.

Piecake

This was a very good and informative book. I found some of the parts in the middle where Foner discussed all of the political wheelings and dealings to be a bit dull, but I am definitely glad I read it. Once the liberal reformers took the scene, the book definitely grabbed my attention. I just wanted to throttle the lot of them.

theapg

Would anyone mind listing the non-horror Stephen King novels or direct me to something that explains which ones are? I can't tell by some of the descriptions on Amazon, but I cant stand horror but I love all his other stuff.

Mumei

This was a very good and informative book. I found some of the parts in the middle where Foner discussed all of the political wheelings and dealings to be a bit dull, but I am definitely glad I read it. Once the liberal reformers took the scene, the book definitely grabbed my attention. I just wanted to throttle the lot of them.

There were a great many people I wanted to throttle in this book. So many.

51Z2mCjaChL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Only a few chapters in. But man. If you wanted to understand race relations and current societal repurcussions, there is no better book.

Piecake

There were a great many people I wanted to throttle in this book. So many.

If time travel existed, it would be amusing to to take some of those liberal reformers to the present day to show them that, yes, those freedman were right about pretty much everything and you elitist snobs were horribly horribly wrong on pretty much every issue. It would be interesting to see what would happen. I am torn between heads exploding and vehement denial/self delusion.

I think I am going to try to read a shorter history book next. That one was pretty beastly.

Necrovex

51Z2mCjaChL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Only a few chapters in. But man. If you wanted to understand race relations and current societal repurcussions, there is no better book.

I was going to pick this book up, but I accidentally picked up instead:

51S2bOidW6L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I fully plan on reading it though, since it is so beloved (and it won a Pulitzer).

User 406

Banned
41YoC7oKLKL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Racism Without Racists. Saw Mumei mention it in another thread and decided to make it my rage inducing nonfiction book of the month. I'm about halfway through, and it is indeed an excellent primer on how colorblind racism is expressed.

After this I'll probably read some bleak hopeless sci-fi or pitilessly tragic low fantasy to cheer me up. I'm all out of Iain Banks and Joe Abercrombie though.

I was going to pick this book up, but I accidentally picked up instead:

51S2bOidW6L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I fully plan on reading it though, since it is so beloved (and it won a Pulitzer).

There was also another book that just came out, but I believe it was taken off shelves due to some lawsuit from his children or something. Can't remember what it was called.

RevoDS

Finishing up on this, should be done tomorrow.

freakonomics.jpg

It's interesting as a way to bring a fresh perspective on phenomena that happen in the world, but it doesn't seem as groundbreaking as it was made out to be (although some of that may be because I'm late to the party and some of what the authors wrote has since seeped into common knowledge). I'm not disappointed I read it, but it didn't live up to my expectations.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Would anyone mind listing the non-horror Stephen King novels or direct me to something that explains which ones are? I can't tell by some of the descriptions on Amazon, but I cant stand horror but I love all his other stuff.
I wouldn't count 11/22/63 or The Stand as horror. I loved those two, yet when I tried giving The Shining a chance, I just didn't like it.

Necrovex

Seeing the Freakonomics post, what are some good accessible Economic books for someone to understand the overall concept? I feel like I need a better understanding so I can properly tackle the Economist's Economic section without feeling too lost.

theapg

I wouldn't count 11/22/63 or The Stand as horror. I loved those two, yet when I tried giving The Shining a chance, I just didn't like it.

Thanks man, I loved 11/22/63. That and currently Mr. Mercedes are the only books of his I've read, but man do they hook me.

Mumei

41YoC7oKLKL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Racism Without Racists. Saw Mumei mention it in another thread and decided to make it my rage inducing nonfiction book of the month. I'm about halfway through, and it is indeed an excellent primer on how colorblind racism is expressed.

After this I'll probably read some bleak hopeless sci-fi or pitilessly tragic low fantasy to cheer me up. I'm all out of Iain Banks and Joe Abercrombie though.

It makes me happy to see more people reading this after nagging people about it so much.

According to Goodreads, after reading Racism Without Racists I read Terry Pratchett's The Color of Magic.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Pretty engrossing read about the history of the US nuclear strike program and the vulnerabilities of it.

Though, I find some of the writing a bit uneven, like when he transitions from the action narrative of the Damascus Accident to chronological non-fiction.

Draconian

mistborn-1.jpeg

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

Started this earlier this week. It's a pretty easy read and fun so far. The magic system is very cool and clearly defined, which is nice. Characters aren't too bad so far either. Maybe I'll get through this series in time to read the new ones by the end of the year.

clariel-231x350.jpg

Clariel by Garth Nix

I'm audiobooking this one. I'm still pretty early on, so I'm not quite sure where it's going, but it's nice to be back in this world again so far. Hopefully this is on par with the original trilogy.

nomster

I wouldn't consider under the dome to be a horror novel. Great book.

Piecake

This was a good book to read after Reconstruction. Short and good (not very sweet). I quite enjoyed it. It is a very well written novella with interesting characters and a a surprisingly suspenseful plot.

Zweig is definitely an author that I would like to read more of.

I swear I am going to finish this book eventually... keep getting interrupted.

18007564.jpg

It's worth finishing, but I couldn't stand the main character. His humor was juvenile, unfunny, and unprofessional, but all the other characters pretty much showered him with praise when he came up, making me think the author was pretty much just writing himself as the character.

Ratrat

It's worth finishing, but I couldn't stand the main character. His humor was juvenile, unfunny, and unprofessional, but all the other characters pretty much showered him with praise when he came up, making me think the author was pretty much just writing himself as the character.
The character makes the book and is the only reason most people bother reading through all the scientific jargon at all. He is awesome.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I dont know, he acted exactly how someone with a lot of smarts, a sense of humor,an audience, and just a tiny bit of hope would act.

Stasis

Quite enjoyed The Martian, and totally enjoyed the main character.

Reading through The Riryia Revelations now, good stuff!

KidDork

On Writing is one you shouldn't miss. It's the best book on the craft of writing that I've ever read.

I had a similar reaction. The events were interesting, but the character actually made me put the book down.

ShaneB

Pretty much how I felt when I read it. Really didn't like the book at all.

Cade

I didn't like Mark's humor, but I felt like it worked as a valid coping mechanism for a man essentially resigned to death and fighting against it despite that.

Cerity

Just finished up Colorless Tsukuru, a little disappointed in the way it ended,
it'd have been nice to find out what exactly happened to Yuzu/Shiro and Haida, especially after they were built up so much,
but eh.

I'll brew over it some more. Also stumbled across this;

Top Bottom