• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2015)

LProtag

I want to explore some Jorge Luis Borges. I speak Spanish but I haven't read it in a while. Would his work in Spanish be too complicated? Anything I should read before in Spanish as a sort of refresher?

I can't speak for the Spanish at all, but in translation his vocabulary is very rich and his writing is pretty dense.

I loved Stoner to death... I think it is a book that everyone should read, and giving your line of work it really is a must read for you.

Thanks! I'll probably read it next then.

N0VAM0D

I thought I might pop in here and ask whether anyone could recommend me some great short books to read? I don't have a lot of time to read, but I really really want to. Any suggestions are appreciated!

lt519

I'd suggest you read Dune Messiah and Children of Dune at least, as they form a trilogy with the original, partially written before even the publishing of the original.
As for the rest of the originals... well, use your own judgment after... if you read DM and CoD but i'll not that anything coming after Children is a bit different.

But whatever you do, do not touch the "Dune" books written by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert. Heck, even if thought as scifi not related to Dune, they're not exactly good (though i guess they have good moments).

I think I'll try it out then.

I'm probably around 1/3 the way through and so far it's pretty good. It has a more localized personal viewpoint than his other novels which is a nice change. I say if you like Howey and his writing style, you'll enjoy it. I'll keep you updated as I keep reading if you'd like.

And thanks for the recommendation on The Martian....I'll definitely check it out once I finish with this one.

Thanks, please post more about it when you finish! As you can see The Martian is a hot topic here. I'm surprised a lot of people didn't like Mark's humor. I really enjoyed it as I could see that being a coping mechanism with being stranded and near hopeless. I'm also an engineer so the geeky humor and technical solutions were awesome to me. All my engineer friends have loved it.

You are all selling me on City of Stairs as well, picking that up for a break from Dune before I dive back in.

Piecake

I thought I might pop in here and ask whether anyone could recommend me some great short books to read? I don't have a lot of time to read, but I really really want to. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Well, what kind of books do you like?

If you want fantasy, I would recommend The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson

If you want something more 'literary' I would recommend

Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
Chess Story by Stefan Zweig
The Death of Ivan Illych by Tolstoy
Hadji Murat by Tolstoy
Siddhartha by Hesse
Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky

I am sure I am missing a ton.

Mr.Swag

Banned
The Stranger by Albert? Camus
Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Piecake

So, does Y the Last Man get better?

I read the first volume and while it was okay, I wasnt terribly impressed. The characters felt flat, the dialogue a bit tiring (felt like every utterance was an attempt to be witty and smart instead of natural), and some of the choices just seem rather ridiculous.
I'm sorry, but no way in hell is the government going to let the last man alive roam the world, especially when that man is a proven, idealistic idiot, when they can find some safe house, bring the doctor to him eventually, and guard him with a shit ton of women and security.

FiggyCal

Banned
Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell.

I'm on page 68 and it's a really interesting read.I especially like when he references Soviet economists.

Mumei

Some shorter (under 200 pages) fiction (prose and poetry) books:

Lysistrata, by Aristophanes
A Dance for Emilia, by Peter S. Beagle
The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances, by Peter S. Beagle
Eunoia, by Christian Bök
The Skating Rink, by Roberto Bolaño
Tres, by Roberto Bolaño
Cosmicomics, by Italo Calvino
Invisible Cities, by Italo Calvino
Exile and Kingdom, by Albert Camus
Notes from Underground, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Coraline, by Neil Gaiman
The Quiet American, by Graham Greene
The Word for World is Forest, by Ursula K. Le Guin
Siddhartha, by Hermann Hesse
The Safety of Objects, by A.M. Homes
House of the Sleeping Beauties, by Yasunari Kawabata
The Master of Go, by Yasunari Kawabata
Snow Country, by Yasunari Kawabata
Comedy in a Minor Key, by Hans Keilson
Barabbas, by Pär Lagerkvist
The Call of the Wild, by Jack London
Chronicle of a Death Foretold, by Gabriel García Márquez
The Ice Dragon, by George R. R. Martin
Mary, by Vladimir Nabokov
Pnin, by Vladimir Nabokov
Transparent Things, by Vladimir Nabokov
The Eye, by Vladimir Nabokov
A Personal Matter, by Kenzaburo Oe
Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids, by Kenzaburo Oe
When The Emperor Was Divine, by Julie Otsuka
There Once Lived a Girl Who Seduced Her Sister's Husband, and He Hanged Himself: Love Stories, by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya
Earth and Ashes, by Atiq Rahimi
A Season in Hell/The Drunken Boat, by Arthur Rimbaud
Illuminations, by Arthur Rimbaud
CivilWarLand in Bad Decline, by George Saunders
Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley
A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, by Alexander Solhenitsyn
Yume no Hon: The Book of Dreams, by Catherynne M. Valente
The Island of Dr. Moreau, by H.G. Wells
Leaves of Grass, by Walt Whitman
Kitchen, by Banana Yoshimoto

KidDork

Preacher would like a word with you.

And Berserk. A few, terse words. With lots of eye glaring.:)

(Y: The Last Man is pretty good, though. Mmmmaybe better than Saga?)

Ordered City of Stairs today because of the love being shown for it here. I also ordered some Valiant trades because I've heard good things about that company. (X-0 Manowar and Harbinger Volume Ones).

Portrait+Of+Artist.jpg

Almost finished reading this right now. So much easier than Ulysses to get into. I wish I had tried reading this one before it.

220px-TheSoundAndTheFuryCover.jpg

I plan on reading this one next.

This is probably a super pretentious sounding thing to do, but after not reading very much at all since junior high, I really want to read as many books from the Modern Library's 100 best novels list as I can this year, just for shits and gigs.

I just finished the Hunger Games audiobook by Suzanne Collins.

I am reading ebook The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. About 60% of the way through.

I am also reading the ebook Animal Farm by George Orwell. Very short book, I'm about 50% of the way through. I will try finishing it today or tomorrow.

Audibook What is the What by Dave Eggers is a book about a Sudanese civil war refugee and his personal story. I haven't started it yet, but I'm very excited to.

I borrowed The History of the Medieval World by Susan Bauer from the library. It's a summary of world history during the time of Constantine to the fall of Constantinople. I'm trying to find a period in history that's interesting and want to dip my toes into. It's a pretty boring book tbh, if someone can recommend a better world history book I'd be grateful. ^^

Piecake

Ordered City of Stairs today because of the love being shown for it here. I also ordered some Valiant trades because I've heard good things about that company. (X-0 Manowar and Harbinger Volume Ones).

So, does Y get a lot better? Because right now, I don't think it can compare to Saga at all.

Great choice picking up City of Stairs. It is excellent.

Portrait+Of+Artist.jpg

Almost finished reading this right now. So much easier than Ulysses to get into. I wish I had tried reading this one before it.

God, I despise the main character. Ruined the book for me. I just wanted to throttle that whinny, elitist, self-pitying kid's neck.

The next time I go out, I'm going to borrow 20th Century Ghosts from the library and read through it. It's the last Joe Hill book I need to read.

Piecake

Heh. Didn't bother me at all.

I might have read it at a bad time - late teens early 20s I believe - where you've grown out out of that self-centered, self-pitying melodrama (well, toned that down, at least, hopefully), but are not far enough away from it that you cant look back on it with dispassion, nostalgia. or amusement.

Mumei

I might have read it at a bad time, late teens early 20s I believe, where you've grown out out of that self-centered, self-pitying melodrama (well, toned that down, at least, hopefully), but are not far enough away from it that you cant look back on it with dispassion, nostalgia. or amusement.

Ah, maybe. I don't recall thinking that his whininess seemed out of the ordinary; I thought it seemed pretty normal for his age.

Necrovex

I didn't include Berserk for two reasons: I believe we were just talking about American comics, and most importantly, including series that have a conclusion. Berserk still has another thirty years left in it. :p

Piecake

I didn't include Berserk for two reasons: I believe we were just talking about American comics, and most importantly, including series that have a conclusion. Berserk still has another thirty years left in it. :p

30? More like 300. I mean, how many chapters have been published in the last 5 years? Like 2?

Mumei

30? More like 300. I mean, how many chapters have been published in the last 5 years? Like 2?

About 30-ish. More than that, really; I'm just going off of when Volume 35 (Chapter 307) was released in Japan (September 29, 2010).

Mannequin

220px-TheSoundAndTheFuryCover.jpg

I plan on reading this one next.

Probably my favourite book, enjoy. Faulkner is amazing.

Currently reading:

WceGgDUNlCA8RPHOz66AbHHs4RI12Vqg+OoBRGBrKx0gjMb1TSGn63!P3!BaM61Ycim7TPw2yzIaTKEqk4wNnDHjr1b6gOv!JK2gG4iMspVQ5iDKyCBWtzAWMsmQ+7PK

This was recommended on the GAF thread about George Stinney, I'm about two thirds of the way through, it's absolutely enthralling as well as gut-wrenching.

Masenkame

My order came from the UK two weeks before the estimate, which makes me really happy as the GF has gone skiing for the weekend and I had nothing better to do. First book for 2015 will be Firefall by Peter Watts. :)

That's an omnibus of Blindsight and Echopraxia, right? I read Blindsight last year when Echopraxia was getting hyped, and really liked it. Watts has said he's writing another novel in that universe.

Yeah added that to my backlog when I heard Diaz. Loved Oscar Wao. I met him in person a few years ago at a book signing. Really great guy.

That's cool. Diaz should be pleased his evangelizing is working.

Necrovex

About 30-ish. More than that, really; I'm just going off of when Volume 35 (Chapter 307) was released in Japan (September 29, 2010).

Are we ever getting off that boat?

And people complain about having to wait for GRRM to write his books. They don't know true pain!

Setre

Dropped

33555.jpg

Couldn't take the whining about the wife anymore. I stopped right where
Chris learns his wife committed suicide
, and I knew only more whining would await me.

Started / Almost Done With

20706269.jpg

Now this, this I like! Beukes' style is easy to read and I like how her chapters are short(ish) and jump between characters. Also enjoying the slight supernatural hints here and there. Is our killer just insane or is there really something else going on? Great book so far, probably got about 100 pages, give or take a few, left.

Just finished Saga volume 4, which was great. How is Y the Last Man? Is the dialogue just as good?

I personally liked Saga better. Been a while since I last read Y but it was only alright for me. You might want to check out Ex Machina as well if you're going through Vaughan's stuff. I've only read a couple of TPBs but I've enjoyed it more than Y but not as much as Saga.

Chain Mail: Addicted to You by Hiroshi Ishizaki (209 Pages)
All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (196 Pages)
Slum Online by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (210 Pages)
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (252 Pages)

Your post about Beukes' books got me intrigued, so I just reserved both of them at the library, along with 20th Century Ghosts.

Cade

Finished Ancillary Justice. I liked it a whole lot, excited to read the next in the series soon. But up next... something entirely different. Gotta figure out what

God, I despise the main character. Ruined the book for me. I just wanted to throttle that whinny, elitist, self-pitying kid's neck.

I actually liked Stephen Daedalus. Maybe it's because I still have some of that same teenage, coming of age angst left. Also being raised in a very Catholic Irish-American family I can sort of identify with his self-reproach as a younger child and then eventual move away from the Church.

He definitely comes across as a know-it-all asshole near the end, but almost in an endearing, relatable sort of way.

Hmmm you might want to try ...

Neuromancer by Gibson
Heechee Saga by Pohl
Pushing Ice by Reynolds
Eon by Bear

I've read Neuromancer but I think I was in my late teens or early twenties when I did. Might have to give it a re-read.

Checked the synopsis of the other three and they sound absolutely fascinating. Thanks for the suggestions.

fakefaker

That's an omnibus of Blindsight and Echopraxia, right? I read Blindsight last year when Echopraxia was getting hyped, and really liked it. Watts has said he's writing another novel in that universe.

Yeah its an omnibus of the two, but only released in the UK. It's pretty massive, the cover awesome, and his forward were he apologizes to people who didn't realize it has Blindsight in it is worth the price of admission.

Ashes

Banned

I've been reading the best short books of all time the past three years. Might well be worth your time to peruse my reading lists in the 50 books challenge threads..

Cade

Settled on
51OkAAO%2BtuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'm devouring it. It's pretty interesting, already a third through. Will probably finish it before sleeping, one of those rare all-in-one-day books. Not bad considering I read the last third of Ancillary Justice today also.

Celegus

How does everyone find new books to read? I have generally read fantasy and science ce fictional I think a lot of people here have. I want to read some more general fiction but have troubles finding books. Do you have websites that recommend books? Just browse until something looks interesting or do you have people You know recommend books.

I don't know many people that read let alone many men (wife and I are not in the Same ballpark when it comes to books we like). I have read some detective novels and like them but am looking for more.

I'm assuming you've already read the Dresden Files? If not, get to it! Detective + fantastical goodness!

I mostly use Goodreads or look through the books mentioned here to find new ones, and then request them from the library. I've got quite the list to read!

Finished:
20518872.jpg

Kind of conflicted overall on this one. The first third was kind of aimless, and whenever something interesting would happen, it would jump somewhere else. It would make a lot more sense reading it a second time, as many things aren't explained until much later. The second part I found pretty boring, where it focused mainly on the simulation. But then the last third was fantastic and got me on board for the rest of the books in the series.

I also checked out the translator's short story, The Paper Menagerie. 15 pages and got me teary, pretty effective gut-punch of a story.

Next is
16065675.jpg

Also going to start Annihilation to see what all the hubbub is about.

How does everyone find new books to read? I have generally read fantasy and science ce fictional I think a lot of people here have. I want to read some more general fiction but have troubles finding books. Do you have websites that recommend books? Just browse until something looks interesting or do you have people You know recommend books.

I don't know many people that read let alone many men (wife and I are not in the Same ballpark when it comes to books we like). I have read some detective novels and like them but am looking for more.

My issue is that most people that I know who read, like to read genres that don't appeal to me and vice-versa. I probably the only one in my circle that reads Sci-Fi, and just about everyone I know likes romance, fantasy, and historical fiction.

To answer your question, when I was younger and they still existed, I'd go to the book store and just browse. There were some huge bookstores near my house when I was in my early twenties, but aside from Barnes and Noble, they're all gone now. The modern equivalent is browsing for books on Amazon, Goodreads (which I only discovered 3 months ago or so), and Wikipedia if I want a little more info about a particular book or author.

Threads like this are pretty nice too, and although not every recommendation is a hit, sometimes looking up those books on websites will result in similar books that are better, if lesser known.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I follow this thread and certain people (in this thread) for reading recs.

I'll also choose books based on any current interests, like how I read The Mongol Art of War when I was playing Manchus in EU4, and Tulipomania when I finished my Netherlands game in EU4.

bengraven

I have no idea what to read right now.

I'm kind of in the mood for something Harry Potter-ish. Maybe like a YA series with ghosts and dark woods and witches, etc.

phoenixyz

So, does Y the Last Man get better?

I read the first volume and while it was okay, I wasnt terribly impressed. The characters felt flat, the dialogue a bit tiring (felt like every utterance was an attempt to be witty and smart instead of natural), and some of the choices just seem rather ridiculous.
I'm sorry, but no way in hell is the government going to let the last man alive roam the world, especially when that man is a proven, idealistic idiot, when they can find some safe house, bring the doctor to him eventually, and guard him with a shit ton of women and security.

The characters will grow on you and then it's an entertaining ride. It's nowhere near as good as people make it out to be (imho), though.

I have few (no) friends here so I take threads like this as well as the old "judging a book by its cover" to pick new ones. I mean, why else would I read something like this?

22273025.jpg

Or even this?

The_Martian_2014.jpg

The first place I go when I'm at the library is the new release section as well as the librarian's picks section. I look for names I'm familiar with or just something that catches my eye. The title, the art...could be any number of things. It's rare that I don't find something to enjoy about a book I pick.

Necrovex

The first place I go when I'm at the library is the new release section as well as the librarian's picks section. I look for names I'm familiar with or just something that catches my eye. The title, the art...could be any number of things. It's rare that I don't find something to enjoy about a book I pick.

If I was a librarian, I would just shove Berserk and Africa-related novels in the recommendation section, and I would create a section named "The Neogaf (and Mumei) Recommendations." It'd be filled with Civil Rights advocate books and Sci-Fi novels. And, of course, The Song of Ice and Fire.

Nymerio

I have few (no) friends here so I take threads like this as well as the old "judging a book by its cover" to pick new ones. I mean, why else would I read something like this?

22273025.jpg

Wow, I'm so reading this.

I've been devouring non-fiction lately and have a few Tom Holland books shelved at Uni.

Currently reading: The Martian, Wolf in White Van, The Hot Zone, Live By Night

Gonna be tough to finish these by the month's end, since I have a couple of exams to contend with, but I'd happily take any suggestions for my backlog.
Anyone read Denis Johnson's The Laughing Monsters? Hasn't released in the UK yet but it's pretty tempting.

Wow, I'm so reading this.

I'm almost done with it. It goes into some strange places (Dante's Inferno is literally a guidebook at one point) and there's a reason for the nuclear symbols in the snowflakes but it's a good if you're in-between serious books. Can't always read Chaucer and Shakespeare.

peach

I just finished up Allegiant, the third book in the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth. I usually like dystopian YA and I enjoyed the first two books, but this one took me a while to get through.

KidDork

And people complain about having to wait for GRRM to write his books. They don't know true pain!

I knew there was a bit of a wait between Berserk volumes, but wasn't aware of just how long it had been. Well, at least we have Hunter X Hunter to tide us over...(ahem)

As for finding things to read, I generally browse through Gaf or Boing Boing. I can usually find something there. Threads like these are invaluable.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I have no idea what to read right now.

I'm kind of in the mood for something Harry Potter-ish. Maybe like a YA series with ghosts and dark woods and witches, etc.
Neverwhwre by Neil Gaiman doesn't really fit most of those descriptions, but the whole time I read it I found myself thinking about Harry Potter

LProtag

I just finished American Gods.

It was a little dry, but there were parts I really liked. Last night I was pretty gripped by what was going on, but the conclusion and stuff I read today was just kinda so-so. It just seemed like... not much really happened in the book. Hard to explain. I certainly like plenty of books where not much happens; Murakami is probably one of my favorite authors and there isn't a lot of action in his books. It just seemed like the book was a little shallow, I guess.

I still liked it, but not as much as I expected to based on what people have said.

Piecake

I just finished this up and it was quite fascinating. The title is a bit misleading though because while their is a main 'character' the author spends a great deal on the advancements of before the sulfa drug, other people's contributions after it was developed, and the consequences of sulfa drug for our modern pharma and medical systems.

One of the author's main points is that the sulfa drug was the forerunner of the big pharma system where it wasnt just one man, but a team backed up by a company with a ton of money to spend.

Top Bottom