• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2015)

LProtag

Mistborn-cover.jpg

I'm enjoying it so far. I've heard some people say the characters are lacking, but I'll see how it goes. So far I enjoy the premise and the plot, but I'm only about a fifth of the way through it.

Probably going to read the whole series straight through.

Mistborn-cover.jpg

I'm enjoying it so far. I've heard some people say the characters are lacking, but I'll see how it goes. So far I enjoy the premise and the plot, but I'm only about a fifth of the way through it.

Probably going to read the whole series straight through.

How does he have so many books out there? Are they all up to par, or do some suffer because of the quantity?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
How does he have so many books out there? Are they all up to par, or do some suffer because of the quantity?

He's a machine. You will always know you're reading a Sanderson book, but there's nothing particularly exceptional about them unless you really like what he does.

Edit: Of the books I've read, I'd say he mostly manages to maintain a fairly consistent quality.

Pau

Finished The Amulet of Samarkand. It was okay. Could have benefited from not being so long. Interested to see where it goes, but I can't say I really like either of the main characters.

Now onto No Longer Separate, Not Yet Equal: Race and Class in Elite College Admission and Campus Life.
He treats writing like a 9 - 5 job.

Mumei

Well, better off in what sense? It's among the most influential novels of the 20th century, and I can't imagine putting these ideas in an essay, thus removing the emotional impact, would've had nearly the same effect. Or a short story; nobody reads short stories.

The final lines wouldn't have had that impact in a short story or - horror of horrors - an essay.

He treats writing like a 9 - 5 job.

Right. I think his work suffers in that the way he approaches his writing means that he tends to engage in a great deal of repetition, to recycle plot structures across different works, and has workmanlike prose. Even though I enjoy reading Sanderson's books - he's one of the best in fantasy when it comes to plotting; he knows how to make likable characters; he can write an action scene well - I don't think his work is good in the same way that I think that, for instance, Le Guin or Beagle's work is good.

Dude writes full time every day. He is the anti-GRRM. He also apparently keeps very detailed outlines for each of his series that specify what he will cover in any given book.

Quality-wise, I find his stuff is always consistently good to excellent. This is especially true when you factor in the sheer quantity of stuff he puts out. He writes strong stories, with great details, fun worlds, and cool characters. His dialogue can sometimes be a bit clunky, and he has a few idiosyncrasies that can be a bit off-putting ("Storms!").

In summary, he is among the better fantasy writers working today. He isn't an amazing writer, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying the heck out of his stuff. You can do a lot worse than reading his books.

Piecake

The final lines wouldn't have had that impact in a short story or - horror of horrors - an essay.

Right. I think his work suffers in that the way he approaches his writing means that he tends to engage in a great deal of repetition, to recycle plot structures across different works, and has workmanlike prose. Even though I enjoy reading Sanderson's books - he's one of the best in fantasy when it comes to plotting; he knows how to make likable characters; he can write an action scene well - I don't think his work is good in the same way that I think that, for instance, Le Guin or Beagle's work is good.

He's the Marvel pictures of fantasy books.

LProtag

Hm, well, I'm only about a quarter of the way through one of his books now, but I can say that his world building is pretty great. So far it's not Lord of the Rings or ASOIAF huge, but the ideas are very interesting.

His prose isn't anything amazing however, but it's not rubbish. I also haven't noticed any sort of attempt to comment much on the human condition or anything. That's not really a fault though, because his writing is entertaining. I'm just saying I don't know if it's the kind of fantasy that would be studied academically, or at least lend itself to that much.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say at this point, haha. I guess I mean to say it seems very much so like "genre fiction" and doesn't make any pretenses about being high literature or anything. Which is totally fine.

Mumei

*dead*

Hm, well, I'm only about a quarter of the way through one of his books now, but I can say that his world building is pretty great. So far it's not Lord of the Rings or ASOIAF huge, but the ideas are very interesting.

His prose isn't anything amazing however, but it's not rubbish. I also haven't noticed any sort of attempt to comment much on the human condition or anything. That's not really a fault though, because his writing is entertaining. I'm just saying I don't know if it's the kind of fantasy that would be studied academically, or at least lend itself to that much.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say at this point, haha. I guess I mean to say it seems very much so like "genre fiction" and doesn't make any pretenses about being high literature or anything. Which is totally fine.

Mm. I can take Sanderson's work for what it is and appreciate it on that level, definitely. If he were aspiring to more and falling flat on his face that'd be more of a problem for me than what he is doing - which is trying for run of the mill genre fiction, and doing a very entertaining job of it.

Mr.Towel

I just really like the way Sanderson does action, especially in the Stormlight Archives so far. More over-the-top than most of the fantasy writers I've read. I enjoy it on the same level I'd enjoy a good anime action series.

Cerity

Well, better off in what sense? It's among the most influential novels of the 20th century, and I can't imagine putting these ideas in an essay, thus removing the emotional impact, would've had nearly the same effect. Or a short story; nobody reads short stories.

In the way he ended up delivering the story at least, it very much felt that the characters and the story itself came at the expense of getting the idea of big brother across to the reader. I'll give the last quarter of the book a pass (
the breaking down of Winston was done well IMHO
) but the rest of it? eh.

It doesn't help that the book feels as if it was written with a hammer and chisel instead of pen & paper (or typewriter). I found the world building enjoyable for a bit but the same ideas are repeatedly beat across your head and it became a very tedious read.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Finished A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka

I liked it well enough, but the humor was almost painful at times. (I think that was intentional. At times.)

Sevarus

Finally got Locked In, was supposed to get it before Christmas, but eh. Amazon Prime, right?

So, excited to start that. Girlfriend got me The Mallet of Loving Correction, so that'll be a fun browse as well. Scalzi's probably one of my favorite SF/F writers. Not that I agree with him on everything, but eh, you don't gotta to enjoy it, neh?

Speaking of which, and maybe this is appropriate for a different topic, how many of ya'll have authors that you won't read due to their politics? I was talking to a fellow book lover, and they've got several authors (John Ringo, Larry Correia) that they won't read due to their political statements. I thought it was silly, since both have written books that are a ton of fun (Monster Hunter, Troy Rising).

Started reading Old Man's War because of this post. I'm enjoying it so far, but the characters (for the most part) are bugging me for a few reasons: 1) they talk and act more like college students than the 75 year-olds they're supposed to be 2) the characters are too interchangeable; everyone is The Witty Smart-ass, and 3) the main character doesn't have enough (any?) flaws. I'm hoping that changes as the book progresses.

Mumei

Did I mention that I finished Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and I loved it? If I forgot, I am now. It's amazing.

“Such nonsense!" declared Dr Greysteel. "Whoever heard of cats doing anything useful!"

"Except for staring at one in a supercilious manner," said Strange. "That has a sort of moral usefulness, I suppose, in making one feel uncomfortable and encouraging sober reflection upon one's imperfections.”

Cats <3

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My favorite quote from Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

Mifune

Mehmber
There's a major book blog called The Millions (http://www.themillions.com) that, among other things, does a twice-yearly 'here's what's coming', and I'm pretty sure the Mcquire was on it. I base a LOT of my reading on their lists/previews.

I saw in the 50 books thread that you were reading JR. Liking it more this time?

I'm a little over halfway through The Recognitions and it's pretty amazing.. At times it's so dense and challenging that I forget how much I had been enjoying it, but then I'm through the rough patch and it's more entertaining than ever.

I saw in the 50 books thread that you were reading JR. Liking it more this time?

I'm a little over halfway through The Recognitions and it's pretty amazing.. At times it's so dense and challenging that I forget how much I had been enjoying it, but then I'm through the rough patch and it's more entertaining than ever.

That's not me you're thinking of, but...funny you should mention Gaddis - I did make a run at JR about fifteen years ago and only made it about half way. I just wasn't mature enough as a reader at that point. I would have a totally different experience with it now.

I did just get a book that gets compared to The Recognitions - Evan Dara's The Lost Scrapbook. I'll post on that whenever I get around to reading it.

Started reading Old Man's War because of this post. I'm enjoying it so far, but the characters (for the most part) are bugging me for a few reasons: 1) they talk and act more like college students than the 75 year-olds they're supposed to be 2) the characters are too interchangeable; everyone is The Witty Smart-ass, and 3) the main character doesn't have enough (any?) flaws. I'm hoping that changes as the book progresses.

All those complaints remain, at least through the second book. Different protagonist, equally as perfect. It's quite annoying.

Althane

1) Yeah, he writes Whedon characters.

2) See 1.

3) Yeah, both John and Jared are pretty "strong" characters, neither of them having any particular flaws that I can think about right now. John is sort of Scalzi's avatar, there's a short story where he's basically Scalzi's mouthpiece on some of his political thoughts. But overall, I didn't mind it that much.

The perfect characters things is what makes me think of them as "pulpy", and not particularly deep or thought provoking books (although the technology that exists in those books can make one think of some pretty great questions!). They're not philosophical journeys, though. They get new bodies, they shoot aliens, and victory is had. A protagonist with massive flaws is an unnecessary distraction at that point.

I dunno, kind of rambling, but in short: Scalzi writes light, (ultimately) happy stuff. Good guys win, bad guys are proved to be well-intentioned or dead/defeated. Protagonists with massive flaws? Not really in line with that.

Sevarus

I might not keep going after this book, then. I dunno, we'll see. The stupid characters who get wiped out kind of bother me, too, like
The racist guy at the beginning, and Watson
. They just seem like caricatures whose sole purpose is to die to make the author/reader pump their fist. Just rubs me the wrong way, I guess.

I've only read a handful of Sci-Fi novels, but it sounds like something closer to Iain Banks may be what I'm looking for.

ShaneB

I might not keep going after this book, then. I dunno, we'll see. The stupid characters who get wiped out kind of bother me, too, like
. They just seem like caricatures whose sole purpose is to die to make the author/reader pump their fist. Just rubs me the wrong way, I guess.

I've only read a handful of Sci-Fi novels, but it sounds like something closer to Iain Banks may be what I'm looking for.

Yeah, I wanted to like it more as well, my complaints about Old Man's War was that I actually liked the concepts and world building happening, and then the actual War parts happen, and I just couldn't care at all.

Piecake

I am currently reading this and it is absolutely fantastic. I am only about 1/3rd of the way done, but so far it is my favorite of the Oxford series and will likely be my favorite history book if it continues to be this good.

If you only read one book on this period, this is definitely the book to read.

I am about halfway through this, and I am not much of a fan of this. There is a severe lack of history books that give an overview of the gilded and progressive ages, so I thought this would be a decent read until the Oxford comes out. It really isnt. Maybe it will improve, but the vast majority of it seems to be about election politics, not about legislation that was passed or supreme court cases, etc. I mean, there is that, its just that elections seem to take up 2/3rds of the space. And in a 180 page book covering the entire gilded age it is starting to get a bit ridiculous.

The blurbs in the back claim that this shows that this is an important part of our political history. This book definitely doesnt prove that. All it does is give you the impression that tariffs and monetary policy was a big deal, politics was passionate and contentious, and sometimes Northerners complained about Southerns terrorizes blacks and taking away their rights, but doing nothing.

It is definitely an important period because we saw the destruction of reconstruction thanks to liberal republicans and others, the focus on big business and industrialization, and class conflict and class violence saw a huge increase. Instead of spending time mostly discussing that, the author mostly talks about elections. It gets very repetitious and dull after a while. I'll still finish it since I am almost done, but not an impressive book.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Liked it about as much as I ever did the movie. Book can be rather tedious at times, though.

Nymerio

I'm in the middle of Book 6, and Jordan's handling of the Male-Female dynamic is one of the most obnoxious parts of the series. And it wouldn't be half so tedious if it weren't for the fact that rather than stating it once or twice every few hundred pages, he seems to have this compulsive need to have each successive female character *tug braid* and *smooth skirt* over the cluelessness of men, while each male character has to furrow his brow in confusion over the ~mysteriousness~ of women.

Frankly if either gender in Jordan's universe were capable of listening and communicating this wouldn't be a problem, but evidently that possibility doesn't exist in this fantasy universe.

I still enjoy it, in spite of the use of lazy tropes and lines that land with an awkward thud and everything else. I think I'm just a sucker for sweeping fantasy

What really sent me over the edge was in book 4 (I think)
the way Siuan Sanche and Lean are treated when they were stilled. They make their way to the rebels only to be treated like idiots. I mean, they were their leaders previously and you'd think that their input may actually be valuable. They probably weren't their leaders for nothing. And don't even get me started on Egwene, I just know that she'll end up Amerlyn Seat or whatever it's called and at that point I'd probably just throw my kindle at the wall.

Does it eventually get better? Because I'd give it another chance if knew it'd improve.

Ratrat

Please just ditch Scalzi and do this. Or M. John Harrison.

Wurst

Yes, he is! And I absolutely love his work. It's not high prose, his characters are weak sometimes and he has a visible formula for plotting things, but it works.

That said, I'm 68% through Firefight and I'm liking it more than Steelheart. I couldn't put it down yesterday. The mechanics he creates are just so damn engaging. Action and Setting are phenomenal in this book. Can't wait to reach the climax!

Edit: Oh, and his characters are especially corny in this one. David's thing with bad metaphors is over the top...

Mumei

What really sent me over the edge was in book 4 (I think)
the way Siuan Sanche and Lean are treated when they were stilled. They make their way to the rebels only to be treated like idiots. I mean, they were their leaders previously and you'd think that their input may actually be valuable. They probably weren't their leaders for nothing. And don't even get me started on Egwene, I just know that she'll end up Amerlyn Seat or whatever it's called and at that point I'd probably just throw my kindle at the wall.

Does it eventually get better? Because I'd give it another chance if knew it'd improve.

[Wheel of Time Book Spoilers~]
Mm.
It actually makes me feel like the Aes Sedai were given the idiot ball, so that Siuan and Leane could be super manipulative. I don't know. I don't feel like his explanation for underestimating them rang true to me. And Egwene's insistence upon going into DreamlandplacethatIcannotspellwithoutlookingitup despite the injunction against it and the extremely steep price she could pay it caught makes me feel especially contemptuous of her. Needless to say it'll all work out for her in the end.

Jintor

I enjoyed Strange and Norrel but it took a loooooooooooong, long time to go anywhere or do anything. But that's Norrel's fault, I suppose, pompous old windbag that he is.

Cerity

Would also like to know whether the Wheel of Time books ever get better, I got somewhere through either the 6th or 7th book (
the one where Rand gets thrown into a box or something
) but dropped it part way through. The frantic jumping between characters and the females in general annoyed me to no end.

Somebody referred to Sanderson as the 'Marvel Pictures of fantasy books'. Scalzi is the equivalent in sci-fi.

You've gone too far. Sanderson's characters are far more interesting and distinguishable than anything Scalzi puts down on paper.

If Sanderson is equivalent to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, then Scalzi is 20th Century Fox releasing Fantastic Four.

You've gone too far. Sanderson's characters are far more interesting and distinguishable than anything Scalzi puts down on paper.

If Sanderson is equivalent to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, then Scalzi is 20th Century Fox releasing Fantastic Four.

Touche! I hereby amend my original comments. :p

Did I mention that I finished Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and I loved it? If I forgot, I am now. It's amazing.

Cats <3

I need to read that again. I keep seeing the Kindle version for sale but with how many footnotes and such there are, I'm not sure I could do that.

I'm interested in seeing the TV series but I can't tell when it's going to air. Funny that in imdb.com it says "Ratings: 9.3/10 from 32 users" but...no one's seen an episode.

I just read that they were working on a movie and that Julian Fellowes was working on a draft. I think that if anyone could pull off that time period it would be him. Just have to look out for water bottles and the like.

Kup

Jurassic Park.

I've been meaning to read this for years as it is one of my favourite films - my copy just arrived today. I couldn't get a copy on Kindle for some reason, but that doesn't really bother me.

peach

I just finished up Sharp Objects, by Gillian Flynn. I picked it up because I really loved Gone Girl. Sharp Objects is just as dark as Gone Girl. I really enjoyed it and am planning to read her second novel, Dark Places, soon.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Jurassic Park.

I've been meaning to read this for years as it is one of my favourite films - my copy just arrived today. I couldn't get a copy on Kindle for some reason, but that doesn't really bother me.
You're in for a ride.

Started
11168429.jpg

Mifune

Mehmber
That's not me you're thinking of, but...funny you should mention Gaddis - I did make a run at JR about fifteen years ago and only made it about half way. I just wasn't mature enough as a reader at that point. I would have a totally different experience with it now.

I did just get a book that gets compared to The Recognitions - Evan Dara's The Lost Scrapbook. I'll post on that whenever I get around to reading it.

Oops.

Yeah, you probably should give JR another shot. I first read Gravity's Rainbow about ten years ago and didn't get much from it. The second reading a year or so ago was a revelation.

Althane

Maybe going a little too harsh on Scalzi; I think he's a perfectly entertaining writer. It's just that if you want something a little more deep or thought-provoking, Old Man's War is probably not the place to get it.

I haven't really had time to dig into Lock In, so it might be better about being interesting and less witty.

Heinlein wrote a lot of super-skilled and eloquent characters, but that didn't really cause detriment to his books.

Also, anyone able to recommend some good superhero novels? Looking for straight up superheroics style kind of thing, not like the "Ex-" series (zombie apocalypse). I really enjoyed Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm A Supervillain, wondering if there was any other good stuff along those lines (and maybe not YA).

Ouch. I wouldn't go that far. Scalzi does some interesting stuff with his stories, and isn't trying to do the same things as Sanderson anyway. He's going for more of a Heinlein feel, though he doesn't usually manage the panache of Heinlein. His books are more like... *trying to think of a comic book movie equivalent* ... more like if the Gilmore Girls writer did a comic book movie. Whew.

I haven't seen the Gilmore Girls, but maybe I was a bit harsh on him. I've only read two of Scalzi's book, but The Ghost Brigades was a mess. It felt like a bunch of random scenes loosely tied together. The series may improve, but I'm not sure I'll give it another shot.

Necrovex

I haven't seen the Gilmore Girls...

Everyone should see Gilmore Girls. Like now. Stop reading and watch it.

Mumei, I'll do a book(s) swap with you: I'll read 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' as my next fiction, if you will also read both 'My Traitor's Heart' and 'Cry, The Beloved Country.'

Also, anyone able to recommend some good superhero novels? Looking for straight up superheroics style kind of thing, not like the "Ex-" series (zombie apocalypse). I really enjoyed Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm A Supervillain, wondering if there was any other good stuff along those lines (and maybe not YA).

Soon I Will be Invincible by Austin Grossman.

Celegus

Please just ditch Scalzi and do this. Or M. John Harrison.

I also read Old Man's War and that was enough to know that I don't want to read any more Scalzi ever again. I loved the premise at the beginning, but he just completely ditched anything possibly interesting and made the blandest, most unoriginal story possible.

Mumei

Everyone should see Gilmore Girls. Like now. Stop reading and watch it.

Mumei, I'll do a book(s) swap with you: I'll read 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' as my next fiction, if you will also read both 'My Traitor's Heart' and 'Cry, The Beloved Country.'

By this do you mean, "I'd like to read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell next anyway, but maybe this way I can get you to hurry up on moving those two books up higher on your interminable queue?"

:3

Necrovex

By this do you mean, "I'd like to read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell next anyway, but maybe this way I can get you to hurry up on moving those two books up higher on your interminable queue?"

:3

Psssssh. Sorry Mumei, without this deal, it looks like I have several Murakami books (book 3 of 1Q84, and Wind-Up Bird Chroncles), and House of Leaves to read for my fiction selection. :p

Top Bottom