• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2015)

Jintor

American Gods is one of those books where the concepts and ideas introduced are way cooler than necessarily what actually happens in it. It also kind of ends on an anticlimax (arguably deliberately, but still)

The further removed you get from reading American Gods, the worse it is in retrospect. Give it a month and think back on what you've just read.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I loved it and read it every year. Sometimes twice!

I just didn't like American Gods.

As a story it was very weak and as an universe, it didn't set the rules clearly enough. Colorful characters, I don't remember the ending and I read it last year :\

TTG

I've finished two books already this year, but seeing how I had about five going at once, this a sort of artificial boost. Anyway, the first book was Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers:

51s20yFX1aL.jpg

If you like the Southern Reach books(and I know a lot of you did), you'll like this. If you like first contact books, you'll like this. If you like classic sci fi, you'll like this. If you like any sci fi, you'll probably like this... see how that broadens out? I think Roadside Picnic stops just short of an all time favorite, but it has plenty of legs past the premise. It really comes down to the characters, there's a depth infrequently seen in similar books.

Next up is The Martian by Andy Weir:

It was 2.99 on Kindle a while back, so why not? It's a conflation of Robinson Crusoe, MacGyver and space exploration on Mars. It's fun and fast. Now that I'm done, I can mostly sum it up by saying someone should have reworked this into a script for Cuaron's use. It basically succeeds everywhere Gravity failed and then some.

lupin23rd

Happy new year, reading thread!

The last book I finished was:

Without You, There Is No Us: My Time with the Sons of North Korea's Elite by Suki Kim

It's written by Suki Kim about her 6-month stint teaching English to students at the Pyongyang University of Science and Technology. Just about every other book about North Korea I've read talks extensively about the labor camps and the conditions for the poor, but this was interesting because it was a look at the "upper class" (at least in a very narrow context). I also found it interesting that Kim's fellow teachers were at times just as controlling as the North Koreans. It's not a long book, and it's about an extremely small piece of the population during a short time, but I recommend it for people who read Nothing to Envy and Escape from Camp 14.

Wow, glad I came into this thread - just finished Escape from Camp 14 and started Nothing to Envy, so will add this to my list, thanks!

Jintor

I just didn't like American Gods.

As a story it was very weak and as an universe, it didn't set the rules clearly enough. Colorful characters, I don't remember the ending and I read it last year :\

The story I feel is just kind of... vague and twisting and the plotlines go everywhere. It feels more like Neil had three or four short stories he kind of wanted to cram together. The bit in the small village town is by far the best part of it because it's largely self-contained.

Though generally I feel like Neil doesn't like his universes to have clear-cut rules anyway. He's a boundary man

book-scaled500.png

Being 22 and an active person i know i shouldn't be eating some of the things i put on my plate so this book is a perfect guideline to help me change.

This is a great read and straight to the point. Even if you love meat and wouldn't think of changing your food intake its still enjoyable.

15790854.jpg

I really enjoyed Soon I Will Be Invincible but the jacket on this one makes it seem like an attempt similar to Ready Player One which I didn't like. Hope it works out.

Bazza

crownofshadows-184x300.jpg

Finished my first 2 books of the year, Crown of Shadow's was a good end to the Coldfire trilogy
Was gutted when I thought Tarrant had died, although if the trilogy ended with him being killed off it would have been completely justified.
Im not sure which of the 3 books I preferred, the 3rd book was good but the events in the 2nd book stand out more in my mind
mainly because of Hesseth's and Jenseny's death's that both caught me off guard and feeling a little sad afterwards.

As for The Martian I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it, I tend to like my scifi books set in the far future. I think the length of the books was spot on any longer and I think things could have gotten repetitive, there are only so many times a problem can occur only to be solved just in time without things getting boring.

American Gods or Rama II next hmmmmm....

Necrovex

The further removed you get from reading American Gods, the worse it is in retrospect. Give it a month and think back on what you've just read.

When I read it, I would have called you crazy, but you're right. I dislike the novel more now than I did when I finished it a few months back.

hythloday

The Martian by Andy Weir:

I generally don't enjoy a lot of sci-fi but I've seen this book cover so many times in this thread that I may check it out.

Wow, glad I came into this thread - just finished Escape from Camp 14 and started Nothing to Envy, so will add this to my list, thanks!

Well, I have another one for you then:

Dear Leader: Poet, Spy, Escapee--A Look Inside North Korea by Jang Jin-Sung (Amazon and the book cover say the title is actually Dear Leader: My Escape from North Korea)

This is written by someone who was among those privileged enough to live in Pyongyang and actually (briefly) met Kim Jong Il. You might like it!

Mumei

American Gods is one of those books where the concepts and ideas introduced are way cooler than necessarily what actually happens in it. It also kind of ends on an anticlimax (arguably deliberately, but still)

Mmhm. I liked the concept, but the execution left me cold.

This is very true.

Cade

Almost posted in the wrong thread. Anyway, finished Ocean at the End of the Lane - liked the writing much more than I liked the plot. Now I'm

reading
cover_277.jpg

and

618fLPt8WpL.jpg

and listening to

41UquhThKfL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg
which I've read half of two or three other times.

N0VAM0D

Well, what kind of books do you like?

If you want fantasy, I would recommend The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson

If you want something more 'literary' I would recommend

Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
Chess Story by Stefan Zweig
The Death of Ivan Illych by Tolstoy
Hadji Murat by Tolstoy
Siddhartha by Hesse
Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky

I am sure I am missing a ton.

The Stranger by Albert? Camus
Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Some shorter (under 200 pages) fiction (prose and poetry) books:

Lysistrata, by Aristophanes
A Dance for Emilia, by Peter S. Beagle
The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances, by Peter S. Beagle
Eunoia, by Christian Bök
The Skating Rink, by Roberto Bolaño
Tres, by Roberto Bolaño
Cosmicomics, by Italo Calvino
Invisible Cities, by Italo Calvino
Exile and Kingdom, by Albert Camus
Notes from Underground, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Coraline, by Neil Gaiman
The Quiet American, by Graham Greene
The Word for World is Forest, by Ursula K. Le Guin
Siddhartha, by Hermann Hesse
The Safety of Objects, by A.M. Homes
House of the Sleeping Beauties, by Yasunari Kawabata
The Master of Go, by Yasunari Kawabata
Snow Country, by Yasunari Kawabata
Comedy in a Minor Key, by Hans Keilson
Barabbas, by Pär Lagerkvist
The Call of the Wild, by Jack London
Chronicle of a Death Foretold, by Gabriel García Márquez
The Ice Dragon, by George R. R. Martin
Mary, by Vladimir Nabokov
Pnin, by Vladimir Nabokov
Transparent Things, by Vladimir Nabokov
The Eye, by Vladimir Nabokov
A Personal Matter, by Kenzaburo Oe
Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids, by Kenzaburo Oe
When The Emperor Was Divine, by Julie Otsuka
There Once Lived a Girl Who Seduced Her Sister's Husband, and He Hanged Himself: Love Stories, by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya
Earth and Ashes, by Atiq Rahimi
A Season in Hell/The Drunken Boat, by Arthur Rimbaud
Illuminations, by Arthur Rimbaud
CivilWarLand in Bad Decline, by George Saunders
Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley
A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, by Alexander Solhenitsyn
Yume no Hon: The Book of Dreams, by Catherynne M. Valente
The Island of Dr. Moreau, by H.G. Wells
Leaves of Grass, by Walt Whitman
Kitchen, by Banana Yoshimoto

Dropped
Chain Mail: Addicted to You by Hiroshi Ishizaki (209 Pages)
All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (196 Pages)
Slum Online by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (210 Pages)
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (252 Pages)

I've been reading the best short books of all time the past three years. Might well be worth your time to peruse my reading lists in the 50 books challenge threads..

Thank you all so much! I'm going to the book store tomorrow so I will check a lot of these out. I'm doing the 50 films and 50 books challenge this year, the films should be really easy, but books will be a huge challenge for me since I don't read a lot. Any suggestions are always welcome. For reference, some of my favourite books are Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury), Jupiter (Ben Bova), and Misery (Stephen King).

Necrovex

Mmhm. I liked the concept, but the execution left me cold.

This is very true.

Your post reminded me of the protagonist's boneheaded move to walk into freezing weather without any clothing.

I also altered my three stars to two stars on Goodread. I don't understand why people love American Gods. Like you said, the concept is interesting, but the execution is poor.

Mumei

Your post reminded me of the protagonist's boneheaded move to walk into freezing weather without any clothing.

I also altered my three stars to two stars on Goodread. I don't understand why people love American Gods. Like you said, the concept is interesting, but the execution is poor.

Yes, well. You should still read Sandman.

Thank you all so much! I'm going to the book store tomorrow so I will check a lot of these out. I'm doing the 50 films and 50 books challenge this year, the films should be really easy, but books will be a huge challenge for me since I don't read a lot. Any suggestions are always welcome. For reference, some of my favourite books are Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury), Jupiter (Ben Bova), and Misery (Stephen King).

I haven't read any of those, so unfortunately that doesn't help me narrow down my list. Hopefully you still find something you like~

Necrovex

Yes, well. You should still read Sandman.

I haven't read any of those, so unfortunately that doesn't help me narrow down my list. Hopefully you still find something you like~

I've read the first volume of Sandman. It was pretty good. Haven't motivated myself to complete the rest though.

And how have you not read Fahrenheit 451?! It's so iconic.

Speaking of The Martian (HUGE Interstellar spoiler, so beware):
Matt Damon really gets around doesn't he? Dying in another galaxy and now getting stranded on Mars. Guy can't catch a break.

Mumei

I've read the first volume of Sandman. It was pretty good. Haven't motivated myself to complete the rest though.

And how have you not read Fahrenheit 451?! It's so iconic.

There are plenty of "iconic things that people usually read in school" that I managed not to read!

And find your motivation!

Speaking of The Martian (HUGE Interstellar spoiler, so beware):
Matt Damon really gets around doesn't he? Dying in another galaxy and now getting stranded on Mars. Guy can't catch a break.

I was kind of bummed to hear about him being in The Martian, because I thought he was horrible in Interstellar. I also can't see him pulling off the sense of humor, that's assuming they'd even be going for that.

When I read it, I would have called you crazy, but you're right. I dislike the novel more now than I did when I finished it a few months back.

This is very true.

I went so far as to go back and re-review the book on Goodreads last year and drop a star from it. I never do that, but it had to be done.

Also, this will be the year I tackle both Preacher and Sandman. Believe!

Mumei

I went so far as to go back and re-review the book on Goodreads last year and drop a star from it. I never do that, but it had to be done.

I sometimes go back and look at scores I gave for things and change my mind. I tend to overrate sometimes, particularly by giving 4/5 to things that really should be 3/5 for me. 3/5 just sounds so bad (60% is terrible!) that sometimes it feels weird giving it to something I liked. Maybe I'm just weird.

I sometimes go back and look at scores I gave for things and change my mind. I tend to overrate sometimes, particularly by giving 4/5 to things that really should be 3/5 for me. 3/5 just sounds so bad (60% is terrible!) that sometimes it feels weird giving it to something I liked. Maybe I'm just weird.

My first year doing the 50/50 challenge (2013), I overrated everything by a full star. Last year was a slight improvement. This year I'm sticking to a firm 3/5 stars = good, 4/5 = great, and 5/5 = amazing scale. I don't consider 2 stars as particularly bad, so that's an acceptable rating for a book that doesn't meet my "good" threshold.

I've already given a 1 star rating to Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, because it was nonsensical garbage. Such a disappointment after Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

All right, I'm a little ways into Reamde right now. For those that have read it, question for you (not really a spoiler since it's the beginning of the book):

When Peter and Wallace realize what happened with the list of credit cards and how hard it was going to be to get it back... Why didn't Peter just use the exploit and get the credit card numbers again? He said it took all of 15 minutes the first time. It feels like doing all that T'Rain grinding was kind of silly if he could have just got the numbers again.

Celegus

My first year doing the 50/50 challenge (2013), I overrated everything by a full star. Last year was a slight improvement. This year I'm sticking to a firm 3/5 stars = good, 4/5 = great, and 5/5 = amazing scale. I don't consider 2 stars as particularly bad, so that's an acceptable rating for a book that doesn't meet my "good" threshold.

That's the way I do it too. 3 is worth a read, but not particularly mind-blowing. 4 is great, but 5 is an all-time favorite - something I would actually want to own, since 99% of my books come from the library.

Thinking in terms of percentages completely throws it off because we're all so used to grades in school where anything less than a 90 is considered bad (or 80, or whatever your personal goal was). The same thing happens a lot with game reviews, and they almost all end up in the 7-10 range, though it is getting better than it used to be.

Excited to see where Sanderson takes this series.

Ooh, didn't realize that was out already! I knew it was January but didn't know it was this early in the month. Awesome!

roxyd43

Neo Member
Just finished Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick. She is a former LA Times journalist who interviewed several North Korean defectors while on assignment in South Korea. Great read, very enlightening look into North Korea.

Also finishing up Devil in the Grove by Gilbert King. It's about Thurgood Marshall and his defense of the Groveland Boys in segregated Florida. Great history read, exciting and interesting.

Just finished the first two Harry Potter books and am now working my way through Mirror Mirror, which had a slow start but is now pulled me in enough.

I will say some of my favorites from last year were The Magician King, Magician's Land, The Painter, The Human and rereading Watership Down.

hythloday

I don't think that's weird. I just had to decide for myself what the number of stars meant to me. If you think of it as 60%, that's bad, but on my Goodreads list, 3/5 means "it was a good book, I liked it well enough and finished it."

I've never done any reading for fun in years. Went to 3 different libraries yesterday. Got a copy of 1984, The Hobbit, and the Silmarillion. Gonna read the complete Lord of the Rings after these.

Necrovex

I've already given a 1 star rating to Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, because it was nonsensical garbage. Such a disappointment after Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

But you gave American Gods a 3/5. So this must means you secretly like it but trying to hide your affections for it to keep your hipster cred. ;-)

And I have the same problem of overrating books; 3/5 feels like it's a bad rating. And I already went back to knock down American Gods to 2/5 on my Goodread account.

Who wants to buy me a digital version of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles?! I need to get back into reading fiction, and this, of course, begins with our holy savior known as Haruki Murakami. :-D

ShaneB

Seems like the busiest a reading thread has been in quite a while, it's nice to see.

Feels like I've been reading through Lonesome Dove forever, being back to work I should read more consistently. Would love to get it done this week.

This is next.

11389875.jpg

First book was fantastic. Second one was okay, felt rushed. Hoping this one is a return to form.

Seems like the busiest a reading thread has been in quite a while, it's nice to see.

New Years resolutions?

ShaneB

New Years resolutions?

Heh, well there have been quite a few posts starting with "I've been wanting to read more" or "looking to get into reading more", etc. I'm sure eReaders are popular gifts as well.

I felt like December was a busy time for the reading thread. But regardless, I am always happy to see active conversations in here. <3

Yeah, a big part is just the varied tastes here, so I just like to always see what folks are reading and build my backlog.

Hmm, I think I do.
sub·jec·tive
/s&#601;b&#712;jektiv/
adjective
adjective: subjective
1. based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.
"his views are highly subjective"
synonyms: personal, individual, emotional, instinctive, intuitive
"a subjective analysis"

Setre

As far as ratings go my own personal opinion is this:

5 Stars - Awesome
4 Stars - Good
3 Stars - Okay
2 Stars - Bad
1 Star - Shit

I'm easily pleased though so a lot of stuff I've read I'd rate as 4 stars. Hell, even though I dropped What Dreams May Come I'd probably still give it 3 stars. I didn't think the book was bad I just couldn't stand it anymore. Maybe that doesn't make sense to anyone else though.

Finished

20706269.jpg

Good stuff, I felt the ending (like the last two pages) could have been better though. Glad I found a new author and she's only written a couple of books so it'll be fun reading her new stuff as she writes it.

Starting

8855321.jpg

Haven't read any of it yet but I've heard good things here on GAF and elsewhere. I've only read a couple of sci-fi books, besides Star Wars novels but I'm not sure those count as pure sci-fi, so I'm kind of apprehensive.

Necrovex

Hmm, I think I do.

Ha! I understand the mechanics! It's the same question I ask of why some love the Tea Party or Ayn Rand. It doesn't make proper sense in my head. :p

Edit: Actually bad examples since I know why. But I am curious of the reasons of why people love American Gods.

All right, I'm a little ways into Reamde right now. For those that have read it, question for you (not really a spoiler since it's the beginning of the book):

When Peter and Wallace realize what happened with the list of credit cards and how hard it was going to be to get it back... Why didn't Peter just use the exploit and get the credit card numbers again? He said it took all of 15 minutes the first time. It feels like doing all that T'Rain grinding was kind of silly if he could have just got the numbers again.

Some of it's probably because of plot but I think it was also because Peter was panicking and not thinking straight. Especially when you have the mob there ready to do really bad things.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The vignettes, some of the characters, the general ambiance, the core idea.

Kalor

Recently I started reading A Game of Thrones and have been enjoying it so far. I've mostly been reading non-fiction recently so it is nice to start reading a long series again.

Althane

Finally got Locked In, was supposed to get it before Christmas, but eh. Amazon Prime, right?

So, excited to start that. Girlfriend got me The Mallet of Loving Correction, so that'll be a fun browse as well. Scalzi's probably one of my favorite SF/F writers. Not that I agree with him on everything, but eh, you don't gotta to enjoy it, neh?

Speaking of which, and maybe this is appropriate for a different topic, how many of ya'll have authors that you won't read due to their politics? I was talking to a fellow book lover, and they've got several authors (John Ringo, Larry Correia) that they won't read due to their political statements. I thought it was silly, since both have written books that are a ton of fun (Monster Hunter, Troy Rising).

But you gave American Gods a 3/5. So this must means you secretly like it but trying to hide your affections for it to keep your hipster cred. ;-)

And I have the same problem of overrating books; 3/5 feels like it's a bad rating. And I already went back to knock down American Gods to 2/5 on my Goodread account.

Except you missed the part where I said I've been overrating books for the past two years. :/

I gave each of the first three Discworld books four stars...

Trance

American Sniper. I'll get around to watching the movie maybe, but I find it fascinating to be inside the head of someone who sees good and evil in such binary black-and-white.

It's always good to read from the perspective of someone who is politically so different from you (as long as the book itself isn't spouting harmful bullshit).

Top Bottom