• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2015)

American Sniper. I'll get around to watching the movie maybe, but I find it fascinating to be inside the head of someone who sees good and evil in such binary black-and-white.

It's always good to read from the perspective of someone who is politically so different from you (as long as the book itself isn't spouting harmful bullshit).

The author is a fascinating character; not all his stories hold up to scrutiny or even common sense but he's still a certified badass.

ItemImage.aspx

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

With The Winds of Winter looking more and more unlikely for 2015, I might as well pick up a new fantasy series. Didn't wanna do Stormlight or Kingkiller quite yet since they'll both have new material next year sooooo.... Malazan.

I had been warned repeatedly that GotM is not representative of the rest of the series and that it was basically the toll you had to pay to get to Deadhouse Gates. With that in mind I went in expecting a slog and actually ended up liking it more than I thought I would. The first hundred pages are pretty brutal, though. It's like you can hear Erikson giggling to himself as he throws page after page of inscrutable terminology at you and just dares you to like it. A sample paragraph:

Hairlock bared his teeth. "The Tiste Andii are Mother Dark's first children. You've felt the tremors through the Warrens of Sorcery, Tayschrenn. So have I. Ask Dujek about the reports coming down from the North Campaign. Elder magic -- Kurald Galain. The Lord of Moon's Spawn is the Master Archmage -- you know his name as well as I do."

It makes exactly as much sense out of context as it does in context. But once you get past that rough start there's some good stuff there. There's some decent dialogue (above sample excluded), a few promising characters, some interesting thematic territory being explored even if it's not executed especially well. There's also a floating mountain that spews giant ravens.

And props to Erikson for making a plus-sized woman one of the biggest badasses in the book. Don't think I've seen a fantasy novel do that before.

Celegus

excited to get into it.

Good luck! Sadly it didn't click for me, although I did like the 2nd book much better than the first. But the last few of the series might just end up being the only Sanderson novels I don't read, I just don't think I can make it there.

Necrovex

Except you missed the part where I said I've been overrating books for the past two years. :/

I gave each of the first three Discworld books four stars...

Time to make a day of fixing your Goodread reviews!

One of these days, I really should read a Discworld novel.

brau

Good luck! Sadly it didn't click for me, although I did like the 2nd book much better than the first. But the last few of the series might just end up being the only Sanderson novels I don't read, I just don't think I can make it there.

was it the dry style of narrative? i always find it hard to get into at first.. but later i get the hang of it then it goes by pretty well. So far.. i have to reread segments just to get it haha

and i guess i am in the mood for it.

What didn't you like?

Skilletor

ItemImage.aspx

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

With The Winds of Winter looking more and more unlikely for 2015, I might as well pick up a new fantasy series. Didn't wanna do Stormlight or Kingkiller quite yet since they'll both have new material next year sooooo.... Malazan.

I had been warned repeatedly that GotM is not representative of the rest of the series and that it was basically the toll you had to pay to get to Deadhouse Gates. With that in mind I went in expecting a slog and actually ended up liking it more than I thought I would. The first hundred pages are pretty brutal, though. It's like you can hear Erikson giggling to himself as he throws page after page of inscrutable terminology at you and just dares you to like it. A sample paragraph:

It makes exactly as much sense out of context as it does in context. But once you get past that rough start there's some good stuff there. There's some decent dialogue (above sample excluded), a few promising characters, some interesting thematic territory being explored even if it's not executed especially well. There's also a floating mountain that spews giant ravens.

And props to Erikson for making a plus-sized woman one of the biggest badasses in the book. Don't think I've seen a fantasy novel do that before.

I have not been able to reach 100 pages in this book and I've tried four times. First book feels like it will be much better once familiarized with the world on a re-read, but I...I just can't get there.

I want to. I'm looking for a meaty fantasy series to try and this looks to fit the bill, but...yeah.

Friend recommended me The Magician trilogy.

tariniel

Go figure, I come in here to post and notice some Malazan on the same page!

I'm reading House of Chains, Malazan Book of the Fallen #4.

house-of-chains-cover.jpg

I'm having a harder time getting into this one than the last three. I read each of the three previous slowly in about a month each, but I've had this one for two months and I'm not even 200 pages in yet (1000~ pages I think). I think it's because this guy likes to start books with new characters and what I really want is to follow up on what's happening with characters from the previous books.

If I don't make a decent amount of progress with it by the end of January I'm thinking of moving on to something else. I've been wanting to read more stuff by Sanderson lately since Mistborn and Stormlight Archives have been my favorite books in the last 5 years. I've also heard the Dresden Files are great too.

Skilletor

Has anybody read the Stephen Donaldson books?

I thought the second trilogy was far too much self-loathing after the first. Decided I'd wait until this final four books was done.

Been looking for a new series to read and this one was right there. Don't know if I can put up with another few books of The Unbeliever's shit, though.

hythloday

I thought the second trilogy was far too much self-loathing after the first. Decided I'd wait until this final four books was done.

Been looking for a new series to read and this one was right there. Don't know if I can put up with another few books of The Unbeliever's shit, though.

I've read the first trilogy, but it was long ago (I was in high school, maybe even middle). I remember liking them, though.

Never got into the second.

Celegus

was it the dry style of narrative? i always find it hard to get into at first.. but later i get the hang of it then it goes by pretty well. So far.. i have to reread segments just to get it haha

and i guess i am in the mood for it.

What didn't you like?

Yeah, very dry and predictable. Maybe I'm just used to reading more contemporary fantasy and never got into stuff like this when I was young, but I just found it lifeless and generic.

The First Chronicles[edit]
1.Lord Foul's Bane (1977)
2.The Illearth War (1978)
3.The Power That Preserves (1979)

The Second Chronicles[edit]
1.The Wounded Land (1980)
2.The One Tree (1982)
3.White Gold Wielder (1983)

The Last Chronicles[edit]
1.The Runes of the Earth (2004)
2.Fatal Revenant (2007)
3.Against All Things Ending (2010)
4.The Last Dark (2013)

I read the first and second but haven't bothered with the last. I felt like the books were ended after the 6th one so didn't see a reason for there to be a new series.

Also Thomas Covenant is a jack-ass and it's hard to want to read more books about someone like that.

Skilletor

I read the first and second but haven't bothered with the last. I felt like the books were ended after the 6th one so didn't see a reason for there to be a new series.

Also Thomas Covenant is a jack-ass and it's hard to want to read more books about someone like that.

Yeah, I read the first two trilogies. Didn't care for Covenant, but Donaldson's writing was rich and the world was great.

The next series, from what I read, is more about Lindon Avery.

It's been a long time since I've read them, though. I don't remember her very well.

Maybe I'll try Malazan again.

Cade

I thought Steelheart had been out for a long time and Firefight the same. Wasn't aware Firefight was just now releasing. All y'all reading it let me know if it's much improved from Steelheart and I'll read it but I read the first one after picking it up not knowing it was YA and thought it was alright but wasn't burning to read the next one.

Piecake

I thought Steelheart had been out for a long time and Firefight the same. Wasn't aware Firefight was just now releasing. All y'all reading it let me know if it's much improved from Steelheart and I'll read it but I read the first one after picking it up not knowing it was YA and thought it was alright but wasn't burning to read the next one.

Yea, I wasnt too terribly impressed with Steelheart. I thought his other YA work was a lot more interesting (forget the name). Steelheart's ending was good, but all of the stuff before that felt like a slog.

LProtag

I just finished Stoner.

I started it last night, read it during the day since the substitute job I had today just involved me giving the kids a test, and got back to reading once I got home.

Lovely book. The thoughts about teaching in it resonate with me a lot, even though I'm not a college professor. Honestly, when I read books about professors I get a little jealous, because I wanted to be one not so long ago and gave up on it due to bad prospects... and fear of never getting accepted or being good enough to make it through a Ph.D program.

Thankfully, the theme of this book makes me realize that even if my life is full of failures, it's not so bad. Not that I think my life as a secondary teacher is a failure at all, it's just not what I expected it to be.

I guess this book has conflicted some of my thoughts about life and that's all I can ask out of a good piece of literature.

Coppanuva

Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors first this month for me, going to a book club discussion on it at the end of this month so I have to focus on this first.

TTG

Who wants to buy me a digital version of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles?! I need to get back into reading fiction, and this, of course, begins with our holy savior known as Haruki Murakami. :-D

I forgot to mention that I tried reading this again. I think I made it north of the fifty page mark this time and my initial impressions persist. First of all, the prose is really bad. The only reason I can come up with is the translator completely bungled this one. If I were to transplant some of this slop into a high school essay you would still cringe. Second, what I did read was downright vapid, it's a long book that apparently takes a while to get going, but at the same time it's not easy to put away 50+ pages and have no coherent thought to show for it. Also, did I mention that a desultory young man having a handful of women fall into his lap and commence orbiting around him is not a stellar start? I had to break off a phone sex conversation with a mysterious stranger(god, don't you hate those?) to find my cat, but this 16 year old kept whispering in my ear until I fell asleep instead. Waking up, I had to head back home to have dinner with my menstruating wife who wasted little time hoisting another woman on me.

But hey, the fans are legion on this one, so what do I know? Go and embrace your holy savior with open arms. But if I were looking to get back into reading fiction, I would go with something fun and well paced.

I'm about to go on a long trip and need some stuff to read. I'm mostly into sci-fi. I read and loved the Wool omnibus on my last vacation, so something like that would be really great. Any suggestions? (I'll probably need at least six novels for the length of my trip.)

About to finish Gibson's Burning Chrome short story collection (so fking cyberpunk) and then I'll start up Ben Lerner's 10:04. Lerner's last novel Leaving the Atocha Station was my favorite book I read last year.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't know about you, but whenever I wake up in the morning, I have a quick monologue about my morning wood before I get dressed and wash.

Necrovex

I don't know about you, but whenever I wake up in the morning, I have a quick monologue about my morning wood before I get dressed and wash.

I don't know about you, but I can only have an erection monologue when a cat is near me.

Krowley

I have not been able to reach 100 pages in this book and I've tried four times. First book feels like it will be much better once familiarized with the world on a re-read, but I...I just can't get there.

I want to. I'm looking for a meaty fantasy series to try and this looks to fit the bill, but...yeah.

It took me three or four tries to make my way through the first Malazan book. It had some good sections, but overall, not enough to make up for the bad.

The next book was better, but still didn't grab me, and I put it down about a quarter of the way through. Erikson's style just didn't work for me. Too dry, with characters that felt like cardboard cutouts. It was hard to get emotionally involved in the story.

KidDork

Tattersail is the bestest.

Enjoy Gardens. The first hundred pages were the struggle. You've made it!

Let me know what you think about it when you get further in. Interested to hear your opinion on it.

Will do. I'd read more, but I'm quite tired. Made it to page 30 or so.

It's pretty good so far

I read a quote on the back of the hardcover, by an author named Megan Abbott, who's seemingly written some sort of zombie or werewolf book called The Fever. Has anyone read any of her stuff?

I looked at her site, and I'm not sure of what to think after reading the synopses of her books.

Just finished

This is my short review

The plot continues at a slowpoke pace. One better get used to it or risk fall asleep while advancing through this tome. Rand disappears from the sight of all the main characters, more characters are added and others are not seen at all. While I liked the development of the male characters and even when the female characters showed some maturing, I still finished the book hating all the female characters in the book. One can only suffer "glares that could kill" so many times before it becomes infuriating.

Do the female characters ever become likable? I hated that
Nyaneve, Elayne and Egwene acted like ungrateful bitches when Mat saved them, unlike the falcon girl, who I liked at the end

I will continue on with the shadow rising, but no sooner than late 2015. Now I will try to finish my physical book queue before I move out of the country.

For a change of pace

braves01

Banned
Just started The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. My local B&N even had a signed copy, which can only mean the poor guy must've had to sign thousands of these for one to show up where I live.

Bazza

Changed my mind for my next book, still feeling the need for a fantasy fix so I have started Friedman's Magister Trilogy although I will squeeze Firefight in when its released tomorrow in the UK.

Nymerio

Just finished

This is my short review

Do the female characters ever become likable? I hated that
Nyaneve, Elayne and Egwene acted like ungrateful bitches when Mat saved them, unlike the falcon girl, who I liked at the end

This is the reason I dropped the series. Couldn't handle it anymore. The last book I read was actually the first time I just skimmed to through pages to be done with it faster. I don't even mind that the story is slow moving it's the female (sorry) characters that make my blood boil.

I do want to finish it one day but I think I need a longer break.

I'm almost done with it. It goes into some strange places (Dante's Inferno is literally a guidebook at one point) and there's a reason for the nuclear symbols in the snowflakes but it's a good if you're in-between serious books. Can't always read Chaucer and Shakespeare.

Woah, this book is great. I'm only at about 20% or something but the stuff that came up so far was ridiculously amazing:
Santa tazering the elf, taking the rocket sled through the bright light into purgatory, reindeers armed with miniguns, flamethrowers and rockets, santa shooting angels with hit gun and crashlanding the sled in the middle of town.

Cerity

Just finished up 1984, not quite sure how as a novel it got so popular. The whole idea of Big Brother is nice but it's delivered with as much grace as a drunk guy hitting on anything resembling a female in the room.

It would have been better off as a short story or a essay depending IMO.

Just started The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. My local B&N even had a signed copy, which can only mean the poor guy must've had to sign thousands of these for one to show up where I live.

Yeah, this was kind of a 'thing' this year at B&N - lots of big authors with signed books on the shelf. I guess it's B&N's idea of making them extra attractive as gifts. They're probably signed by a bunch of 8-year-old kids in Southeast Asia. Kidding!

Mumei

This is the reason I dropped the series. Couldn't handle it anymore. The last book I read was actually the first time I just skimmed to through pages to be done with it faster. I don't even mind that the story is slow moving it's the female (sorry) characters that make my blood boil.

I do want to finish it one day but I think I need a longer break.

I'm in the middle of Book 6, and Jordan's handling of the Male-Female dynamic is one of the most obnoxious parts of the series. And it wouldn't be half so tedious if it weren't for the fact that rather than stating it once or twice every few hundred pages, he seems to have this compulsive need to have each successive female character *tug braid* and *smooth skirt* over the cluelessness of men, while each male character has to furrow his brow in confusion over the ~mysteriousness~ of women.

Frankly if either gender in Jordan's universe were capable of listening and communicating this wouldn't be a problem, but evidently that possibility doesn't exist in this fantasy universe.

I still enjoy it, in spite of the use of lazy tropes and lines that land with an awkward thud and everything else. I think I'm just a sucker for sweeping fantasy

Cade

The Explorer, one of my books, is currently in the US Kindle sale for $.99! Cheapest it's ever been.

You can get it here! http://www.amazon.com/The-Explorer-James-Smythe/dp/0062229419/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=14DW97FF9TNXEXY6320B

41Iz0ES2kiL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And if you liked that... The sequel, The Echo, is the same price!

18664985.jpg

You can buy The Echo here! http://www.amazon.com/Echo-Anomaly-Quartet-James-Smythe/dp/0062287281/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1420658802&sr=8-5&keywords=James+smythe

#shill

I'll pick up the first one and give it a go. Thanks for the links!

The Explorer, one of my books, is currently in the US Kindle sale for $.99! Cheapest it's ever been.

Always willing to support GAF authors. I purchased both. Now I have a three book GAF backlog, so I'll get to it this year.

You can get it here! http://www.amazon.com/The-Explorer-James-Smythe/dp/0062229419/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=14DW97FF9TNXEXY6320B

41Iz0ES2kiL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

18664985.jpg

You can buy The Echo here! http://www.amazon.com/Echo-Anomaly-Quartet-James-Smythe/dp/0062287281/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1420658802&sr=8-5&keywords=James+smythe

#shill

Thanks for the links! I wanted to buy them last time but it was for the .uk store.

Thanks, all! Your support is much appreciated.

In the spirit of this thread: I finished Lev Grossman's The Magicians, which I loved.

Then I read Richard Mcguire's Here, which is the best thing in the world. A comic about a corner of a room throughout time, it's one of the best things I've ever read. Seriously. Absolutely mind blowing.

Now I'm reading The Magician Kings, Grossman's sequel. It's similarly excellent.

Thanks, all! Your support is much appreciated.

In the spirit of this thread: I finished Lev Grossman's The Magicians, which I loved.

Then I read Richard Mcguire's Here, which is the best thing in the world. A comic about a corner of a room throughout time, it's one of the best things I've ever read. Seriously. Absolutely mind blowing.

Now I'm reading The Magician Kings, Grossman's sequel. It's similarly excellent.

There's a major book blog called The Millions (http://www.themillions.com) that, among other things, does a twice-yearly 'here's what's coming', and I'm pretty sure the Mcquire was on it. I base a LOT of my reading on their lists/previews.

Top Bottom