• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2013)

rookiejet

The Economic Naturalist - Robert H. Frank

No deep analysis of many of the hypotheses posited, but understandable as some of the processes reviewed are fairly complex and would require their own separate books. Very entertaining thus far.

Nintendo Magic - Osamu Inoue

Reviews Nintendo's Wii years. I'd like a better argument for why Iwata doesn't suck, except that he's goddamn adorable.

Consider Phlebas - Iain M. Banks

Reread:

The Haskell Road to Logic, Maths and Programming - Kees Doets

Maybe:

Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress - Peter Tyson

(Probably not, though.) I've been inspired by John Harris' great articles on rogue-likes.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Whenever I see GRRM these days I think he's gonna do a 'Robert Jordan' and hope he's left lots of notes to make Brandon Sanderson's job easier

It's sort of amusing, creepy and understandable than anytime people talk about the future of the series the topic of GRRM health and prospects is always mentioned.

Pure speculation, but I don't think he wants to wrap this up. He's already split a book in two and it looks like it will happen again - I haven't read the last two, but considering how everyone talks about the story slowing down, I would not put it past him.

Martin is 64. Maybe he's really, really passionate about ASoIF, but it doesn't come off that way to me, a casual observer - especially given how long the last book took for him to deliver AND the fact that he seems to work on many other things as well. Plus, the guy is, for better or worse, a big celeb now (as much as a writer can be, anyway), and he seems to enjoy it. Good for him, I say. But bad for the series. I feel sorry for the fans...

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Martin is 64. Maybe he's really, really passionate about ASoIF, but it doesn't come off that way to me, a casual observer - especially given how long the last book took for him to deliver AND the fact that he seems to work on many other things as well. Plus, the guy is, for better or worse, a big celeb now (as much as a writer can be, anyway), and he seems to enjoy it. Good for him, I say. But bad for the series. I feel sorry for the fans...

But on the other hand, as long as ASOIAF is running he's got celebrity status, public attention, he's working on the TV show... lots of perks that end when the series ends.

Just look at JK rowling before and after Potter ended.

noal

Banned
Finished The Lost Symbol and the ending was as mediocre as I remember.

I've decided to read Misery by Stephen King as I have a huge backlog of his and this has been on my shelf forever.

Jay Sosa

41zVzg97G2L._SY300_.jpg

great, great book. Disturbing, infuriating, sad, but very entertaining.

ShaneB

I should finish Flowers for Algernon tonight or tomorrow. Found the middle section a little slow, but now it seems everything is coming together towards the end.

phoenixyz

Martin is 64. Maybe he's really, really passionate about ASoIF, but it doesn't come off that way to me, a casual observer - especially given how long the last book took for him to deliver AND the fact that he seems to work on many other things as well.
It's sort of amusing, creepy and understandable than anytime people talk about the future of the series the topic of GRRM health and prospects is always mentioned.
Maybe he's like Donald Knuth with his total dedication to working another 10+ years on his Art of Computer Programming. When GRRM realises that ASoIaF is the thing he will be remembered for he is suddenly 75 and crunching like crazy to get at least a little bit of the stuff in his head on paper.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Still reading:

Republic+of+Thieves+USA.jpg

The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch.

I'm about 25% through at this point and it's very, very good. Some other early impressions seem to be down on the pacing of the novel, and it is slow, but I enjoying being in Lynch's world, surrounded by his characters, that I find all of it a huge pleasure to read and I wouldn't care if the book was twice as long. It's like being among good friends again. At this point, the novel has dealt mostly with the repercussions of events at the end of Red Seas Under Red Skies, but it seems to be opening up a bit now and Lynch's trademark 'heist' storyline is starting to form. The flashback story is terrific, some of the best stuff that Lynch has written.

For those of in last month's thread asking about how I have a copy: I edit a website called A Dribble of Ink. It's linked to in the OP of this thread each month. The publisher (Del Rey) supplied me with a copy.

Do you know when this will be available for the rest of us?

Just finished reading Neil Gaiman's new novel:
The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Fairly short, but so very entertaining. If you enjoyed the movie Coraline, or any other Gaiman novels you should pick it up. The book is an excellent example of an adult book that can be enjoyed by younger audiences, and vice versa.

Finished Legend by David Gemmell today. Thought it was pretty good but a little too ... cliche for me. Could be this came along before the cliche's of high action fantasy and helped set the stage for the "hero" stories, but I was a little bored by all the heroics, frankly.

Picked up Greg Bear's Eon next.
200px-Eon_Book_Cover.jpg

J-Roderton

200 pages and I'm done with Clash Of Kings. Do I go the next or take a break? These books seem to last me forever.

Any good fantasy recommendations? Like elves, dwarfs, all that nonsense.

Just finished

Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and it was adequate. I was disappointed in it really

I liked

The world in general
The magic system(s)
The plot was satisfying and she writes surprisingly good action sequences

I didn't like her style much. I actively disliked Fitz from adolescence until he was an old man.

I hated the dialogue specifically the horrible fantasy-Victorian-Arthurian idea of how medieval people spoke, and the names ... that foist a main character called FitzChivalry Farseer on us ... (although I have a thing about names i.e. Thomas Covenant was spoiled for me because he was transported to another world to become a legendary hero called Kevin)

Now racing through Daniel Abraham's Long Price quartet and loving them ...

ledman

Just finished reading Dance Dance Dance by Murakami, the first novel I read from him. Which book is more similar to Dance from Murakami, is kinda hard to figure based on some synopsis I read.

thomaser

Just finished reading Dance Dance Dance by Murakami, the first novel I read from him. Which book is more similar to Dance from Murakami, is kinda hard to figure based on some synopsis I read.

It's been a long time since I read it, but probably A Wild Sheep Chase. It's kind of a prequel to Dance Dance Dance.

krrrt

Recently finished:
6080795.jpg

The Easter Parade - Richard Yates
Liked it, but nowhere near as much as Revolutionary Road

40102.jpg

Blink - Malcolm Gladwell
Thought it was pretty messy and misguided.

13330771.jpg

Hallucinations - Oliver Sacks
I love his other books but only just liked this one.

15956629.jpg

Every Love Story Is A Ghost Story - D.T. Max
DFW is one of my favorite authors so I enjoyed learning more about him as a person. Recommended

28716.jpg

Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
Read this for the second time and loved it even more than the first. McCarthy is pretty much God.

Now Reading:

862821.jpg

The Aleph - Jorge Luis Borges
Another re-read. It's Borges, need I say more?

5685.jpg

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Read this ages ago in a (physically) huge Dutch translation from the 50s, so I'm pretty happily reading this on my Kindle in a somewhat more recent version.

A Wild Sheep Chase, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, and Dance Dance Dance are considered a loose "trilogy" of the lonely amateur detective nerd. Those three novels are easily my favorite Murakami works. I kind of lost interest around the Wind Up Bird Chronicle, when Murakami became a bit more self-indulgent. His short story collections are fantastic - I feel Murakami is a better short story writer than full on novelist, but that's just my opinion.

phaze

He is generally admiring of Marshall and Eisenhower (especially Ike's dealing with Montgomery). Bradley is described as competent but timid given the resources. Patton is the interesting anomaly to Marshall's preferred style of commander, and they talk about how he was managed. Clark gets mostly savaged as the example of Ike's friendship protecting a poor general, one of Ike's few significant failings.

I've just started on the Korean War parts and so far it's essentially knives-out for MacArthur, who is loathed by Ricks (and many of course). Looks like 96 pages on Korea.

Also, re: above, Phantom Tollbooth is one of my favorite books. Still worth re-reading occasionally, especially the lovely Jules Feiffer illustrations.

Cheers.

Sleepy

Just finished the third part of Against the Day, and I think I am going to read a sub-300 pager before I start up again. Bilocations was full of all kinds of amazing scenes, writing, odd shit. I was pretty moved by Yashmeen at Reimann's grave and when
Kit and Reef reunited

Empty

finished pnin by nabokov which was amazing. it's a tragic comedy about a quirky russian emigrant professor living alone in usa, structured as a series of character sketches, each chapter describing pnin's stuck on the wrong train or moving houses or visiting a fellow russian intellectual. pnin is so well realized with his range of eccentricities brought to life in great and amusing detail, and i found his struggle to fit into a 50s america so unsuited to him, with the tragedy of his beloved russia closed off to him by soviet rule, very endearing and often moving.

also read where angels fear to tread by e.m forster. it's a short melodrama about someone from an uptight middle class british lady traveling to italy and marrying a common dentist and the fallout from it. it's a bit, see how the british are like this and the italians are like this, but the lead character philip gets some interesting character development and forster's descriptions of monteriano - which i instantly recognized from asassins creed 2 haha - are very beautiful.

1491_cover_large.jpg

Books pretty good and gives me an opportunity to brush up on my pre Columbus American Indian history which is a blind spot. Though the part I've enjoyed most funnily enough when he was talking about Squanto and shit for a chapter.

1491_cover_large.jpg

Books pretty good and gives me an opportunity to brush up on my pre Columbus American Indian history which is a blind spot. Though the part I've enjoyed most funnily enough when he was talking about Squanto and shit for a chapter.

This is a great book on pre-Columbus contact with some astonishing info - the early diversity of maize, the intricacy of the civilizations, the rapidity of post continental crossing dispersion, etc. It can get pretty heady at times, but it's a fascinating read. He even debunks the whole aliens and Nazca Lines nonsense - LOL. I haven't read his next book 1493 yet, but it's on my list.

You should also check out "A Voyage Long and Strange" by Tony Horwitz if you want more "entertaining & astonishing" facts of the New World like Squanto's metropolitan experience:

I literally remember next to nothing about that book besides it was about global warming. What's your favorite Michael Crichton book?

I've read Timeline, Next, Airframe, Disclosure, and Pirate Latitudes. I liked them all but my favorite was probably Next. I think I read it in a day.

Sleepy

About 50 pages into
books

Lin has an interesting way of constructing sentences, delaying, foreshadowing, past/present/future events with nested clauses, but I think it is just "okay" so far.
The section on his younger days in school was very nicely done; a good humanizing effect in an otherwise very dehumanizing book.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Great write up I still can't tell if Ill like it.
My favorite fantasy stuff has been:
- Name of the Wind
- ASOIAF

And that is pretty much it. Everything else has been really disappointing.

I didn't really care for:
- Scott Lynch(anything by him)
- Wheel of Time Series
- Graceling

Brent Weeks isn't a very good writer, he just sort of gets the job done, but The Black Prism is probably his best. For whatever that's worth. Personally, I enjoyed the first book but found the second mediocre. I'd say give it a chance if you can get it on the cheap.

dantehemi

Looking for a book recommendation and I figure this would be the best place to ask.

I just finished dance with dragons, and I LOVE the whole SOIAF series, and seem to like fantasy.
I leave on a Europe trip for a month next week, and would like something that could be read in short bursts (airport, planes, beach etc.)

Sorry If I haven't given much to go on, but I guess I'm open to anything....just looking for a great summer read.

phaze

Looking for a book recommendation and I figure this would be the best place to ask.

I just finished dance with dragons, and I LOVE the whole SOIAF series, and seem to like fantasy.
I leave on a Europe trip for a month next week, and would like something that could be read in short bursts (airport, planes, beach etc.)

Sorry If I haven't given much to go on, but I guess I'm open to anything....just looking for a great summer read.

The Witcher: Last Wish maybe ? It's a collection of short stories in a similarly grim world. (Though with bigger amount of magic)

ShaneB

Finished Flowers for Algernon, ending got me pretty teary eyed
but it was fairly predictable knowing I figured the end would be his regression back to his former self. I hate the word "retarded" as well, so that was hard to read.
Still, some really emotional stuff. 4/5

Soul4ger

I'm in the midst of this delightful science read. It's fantastic! Exactly what I hoped. He does a great job of definitively debunking old, but still commonly held, beliefs about dinosaurs, while probing around the newest theories. It's just packed with interesting information. Do recommend.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Brent Weeks isn't a very good writer, he just sort of gets the job done, but The Black Prism is probably his best. For whatever that's worth. Personally, I enjoyed the first book but found the second mediocre. I'd say give it a chance if you can get it on the cheap.

Ugh, he's a terrible writer. I sort of ended up becoming invested in the story but man it's like reading something from a high-school creative writing class.

Ugh, he's a terrible writer. I sort of ended up becoming invested in the story but man it's like reading something from a high-school creative writing class.

I read through The Night Angel trilogy and thought it was ok. Started out average, picked up the pace midway and then kind of petered out. In some sense the series was too long and could have been tightened up (my opinion, but then that's my opinion of a lot of fantasy/sci-fi these days).

Decided I wasn't going to invest in his next series.

Top Bottom