• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2013)

Narag

Ugh, he's a terrible writer. I sort of ended up becoming invested in the story but man it's like reading something from a high-school creative writing class.

I seem to remember he did something in the Night Angel books that really irked me, namely writing the action using nebulous fighting stances at times so I had no idea what the hell was happening.

survivor

Banned
Finished reading The Phantom Tollbooth. It's a really creative and imaginative story. I appreciated all the puns and the new ways the book made me look at certain expressions or words. For most of the story, it was really engaging in seeing the absurd and fun scenarios, but when nothing exciting is happening it's really hard to read through it due to its simple writing.

As for the annotation since the edition I read was full them, they are really a waste of time. I thought they would be explaining some aspects of the book, but most of them were just random trivia or explanation of the history of some words. After the first ~50 pages, I just started skipping them. The long introduction about the author in the beginning was a good read however.

Santiako

I started reading Ringworld yesterday. It's amazing so far (160 pages in), I don't know why I waited so long to read this.

Brent Weeks isn't a very good writer, he just sort of gets the job done, but The Black Prism is probably his best. For whatever that's worth. Personally, I enjoyed the first book but found the second mediocre. I'd say give it a chance if you can get it on the cheap.

Thanks a lot for the headsup. Any fantasy you particularly enjoyed?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks a lot for the headsup. Any fantasy you particularly enjoyed?

Yeah, but I don't think our tastes are really mesh, as I'm not a fan of anything on your list. (Including the books you didn't like.) Perfectly willing to toss out recommendations despite that, though!

My favorite author is Peter S Beagle, regardless of genre, so I'd recommend all of his books and they're also fantasy.

The Last Unicorn - Whimsical take on fairy tales and stories in general, very melancholy.

Watching her companions as they slept, seeing the shadows of their dreams scurry over their faces, she would feel herself bending under the heaviness of knowing their names. Then she would run until morning to ease the ache: swifter than rain, swift as loss, racing to catch up with the time when she had known nothing at all but the sweetness of being herself.

The Folk of the Air (out of print) - A bit of a slice of life tale about a guy that comes back to his college town, which slowly bleeds from meeting olds friends into magic and gods.

"You ever want to see the real witchcraft, you watch people protecting their comfort, their beliefs. That's where it is."

Tamsin - Ghost story involving a young girl moving to an old house in the countryside in England, where she counters creatures out of folklore.

You don't have to believe in Hell. All you need is to hear someone who really does, who believes in it this minute, today, the way people believed in 1685—all you have to do is see his face, hear his voice when he says the word… and then you know that anyone who can imagine Hell has the power to make it real for other people.

A Fine and Private Place - An old man secretly lives in a cemetery and greets the dead as they rise as ghosts, giving them company for as long as they can remember what they were and half wishing he could join them.

That kind don't kill themselves. They live in hope, waiting for a phone call, or a telegram, or a letter, or a knock on the door, or running into someone on the street who will see how beautiful they really are. They think about killing themselves, but then they might not be able to answer the phone.

The Innkeeper's Song - Closest thing Beagle's done to standard fantasy. Not my favorite of his, but good.

If he was a child still, with a child's taste for hopeless, unbearable sorrow, yet he had also the stubborn cunning of a child in the teeth of hopelessness.

Barbara Hambly - Dragonsbane A really brilliant story cloaked in the standard hero goes on a quest to slay a dragon. The main character is the hero's common law wife, a witch with barely enough power to do anything, half hating herself for loving anything other than her power.

They say a wizard's wife is a widow. A woman who bears a wizard's child must know that he will leave her to raise the child alone, should his powers call him elsewhere. It is for this reason that no priest will perform the wedding ceremony for the mageborn, and no flute player will officiate upon the rite. And it would be an act of cruelty for a witch to bear any man's child.

Sergei Lukyanenko's Watch series, beginning with Night Watch. It's urban fantasy set in Moscow. The summary paints it as a good guys vs bad guys, but it becomes quite clear by the end of the first book that the good guys are willing to do some horrible things for their idea of a good world. Probably the closest to ASoIaF in shades of grey rather than black and white.

That's how myths are born. Out of our carelessness, out of our tattered nerves, out of jokes that go wrong and flashy gestures.

Laurie J Marks - Elemental Logic series beginning with Fire Logic. The series is, so far, unfinished, but each book is fairly self contained. It's sort of hard to describe, but the basic idea behind the story is that a large military force was driven out of their own home and landed in a new country, which they conquered to survive. It's mostly told from the pov of the conquered people.

Really enjoying Neuromancer - is this the first time anyone referred to cyberspace, the matrix, and microsoft? And is this where Microsoft got their name from?

TTG

Really enjoying Neuromancer - is this the first time anyone referred to cyberspace, the matrix, and microsoft? And is this where Microsoft got their name from?

Don't know, but the year it was written was quite a revelation to me when I looked it up after I finished reading. Not that he's some Joules Verne of the internet or anything, but 1984? That's pretty cool. Then again, I wasn't born yet, so maybe I'm misjudging and it wasn't as ahead of its time.

It's a great book, I really loved it. Would love to hear any thoughts on the sequels, I never got around to reading them.

I'm in the midst of this delightful science read. It's fantastic! Exactly what I hoped. He does a great job of definitively debunking old, but still commonly held, beliefs about dinosaurs, while probing around the newest theories. It's just packed with interesting information. Do recommend.

it looks adorable.

Ratrat

Finished Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami. It was basically forgettable and not really great to read. The ending was especially unsatisfying as usual.

Started :
Embassytown by China Mieville. I love some of his books but they can be tough for the first few chapters!

ciridesu

Finished Life of Pi

Conflicting thoughts... I initially quit reading the book around three quarters in (yeah I think everyone who's read the book knows where this post is going), for it drags out as fuck. Decided to finish it this morning and oh man, truly one of those books that both starts and ends with a high note. Brilliantly crafted theme and very lividly written. Made a complete 180 with my view of the book and would definitely recommend it to everyone.

For my next book I decided to start with Shadow of the Wind. Will see how it goes.

PersonaX

Amazon
The security services have played a central—and often mysterious—role at key turning points in Russia during the tumultuous years following the Soviet collapse: from the Moscow apartment house bombings and theater siege, to the war in Chechnya and the Beslan school massacre. In this riveting investigation, two intrepid journalists penetrate the secret world of the FSB and illustrate how the security services have evolved into a ruthless, violently powerful force that is inextricably woven into modern Russia’s fundamental makeup, and has become more shadowy than its predecessor, the Soviet KGB.
A penetrating investigation into how the KGB rose from the ashes of the Soviet Union and reinvented itself at the heart of the Russian state during Vladimir Putin's rule

R6ZQbKR.jpg

I've just started reading it so i don't have much to say, but the subject matter alone is very Interesting, i've been really into non-fiction stuff lately, especially in things revolving around security services, spies, war and criminal investigation, like this one that i'm reading too at the moment:

zthngJ7.jpg

After reading Gemmell's Legend and now started on Bear's Eon, the next book has to be something more recently published. These two just feel old, and Bear's interpretation of the 21st century (Eon was written in 1985 but is set in early 21st century) is so off the mark from reality that it's tough to swallow (i.e., no cell phones, no internet, still have a Soviet super-power, etc.).

Yeah, but I don't think our tastes are really mesh, as I'm not a fan of anything on your list. (Including the books you didn't like.) Perfectly willing to toss out recommendations despite that, though!

My favorite author is Peter S Beagle, regardless of genre, so I'd recommend all of his books and they're also fantasy.

The Last Unicorn - Whimsical take on fairy tales and stories in general, very melancholy.

The Folk of the Air (out of print) - A bit of a slice of life tale about a guy that comes back to his college town, which slowly bleeds from meeting olds friends into magic and gods.

Tamsin - Ghost story involving a young girl moving to an old house in the countryside in England, where she counters creatures out of folklore.

A Fine and Private Place - An old man secretly lives in a cemetery and greets the dead as they rise as ghosts, giving them company for as long as they can remember what they were and half wishing he could join them.

The Innkeeper's Song - Closest thing Beagle's done to standard fantasy. Not my favorite of his, but good.

Barbara Hambly - Dragonsbane A really brilliant story cloaked in the standard hero goes on a quest to slay a dragon. The main character is the hero's common law wife, a witch with barely enough power to do anything, half hating herself for loving anything other than her power.

Sergei Lukyanenko's Watch series, beginning with Night Watch. It's urban fantasy set in Moscow. The summary paints it as a good guys vs bad guys, but it becomes quite clear by the end of the first book that the good guys are willing to do some horrible things for their idea of a good world. Probably the closest to ASoIaF in shades of grey rather than black and white.

Laurie J Marks - Elemental Logic series beginning with Fire Logic. The series is, so far, unfinished, but each book is fairly self contained. It's sort of hard to describe, but the basic idea behind the story is that a large military force was driven out of their own home and landed in a new country, which they conquered to survive. It's mostly told from the pov of the conquered people.

All of these sound really good and outside of Night Watch I haven't heard of any of them. Ill start with the Last Unicorn. Thanks for the recommendations

I'm half way through Gates of Fire, which is turning out to be the best fictional portrayal of the Spartans I've come across. I also read on Wikipedia that the book is taught at U.S. Military Academy and United States Naval Academy. I'm not sure of that's true or not, but I could see why if it was.

51lyDQ8xPdL.jpg

Just started Old Man's War. Off to a great start :)

I'm half way through Gates of Fire, which is turning out to be the best fictional portrayal of the Spartans I've come across. I also read on Wikipedia that the book is taught at U.S. Military Academy and United States Naval Academy. I'm not sure of that's true or not, but I could see why if it was.

Two great books. Both highly recommended.

TTG

I finished Blood Meridian yesterday, can't say I particularly liked it. It's sort of hard to, isn't it? I felt no empathy at all, at no point is it even resembling entertaining(an inconsequential criticism to throw at a book like this, I know. But it would have helped). I think I found myself engrossed or actively interested about what would happen next twice; the first time when the expriest, Tobin tells the story of how the judge joined the gang and towards the very end before San Diego(is that vague enough to not warrant a spoiler tag?). And there's the theme, of violence and war, although I don't know if I would call what the Glanton gang was doing war. Does it have enough to say to sustain the whole book? I don't know. I don't want to give the impression that I don't like it based on tone or pace or generally how "dark" it is, some of my favorite books are like that. But that's what jumps out at the moment.

Some stuff I thought was very good, just a few things before I stop rambling. The judge is written very well, I thought the way the reader was never shown directly how he did what he did was powerful. The character itself, he has some of the same qualities Anton Sigur does in No Country(the movie, also the reason I sought this out), borderline supernatural. The Judge will stick in my mind for a while. I thought the ending was very fitting, a great ending actually. I mentioned earlier about the descriptions being hit or miss and I still think that's true, regardless the language is beautiful. Ok, that's enough of that.

Up next is The Forsyte Sage by John Galsworthy. Checking it out based on a recommendation.

jacobs34

I finished Blood Meridian yesterday, can't say I particularly liked it. It's sort of hard to, isn't it? I felt no empathy at all, at no point is it even resembling entertaining(an inconsequential criticism to throw at a book like this, I know. But it would have helped). I think I found myself engrossed or actively interested about what would happen next twice; the first time when the expriest, Tobin tells the story of how the judge joined the gang and towards the very end before San Diego(is that vague enough to not warrant a spoiler tag?). And there's the theme, of violence and war, although I don't know if I would call what the Glanton gang was doing war. Does it have enough to say to sustain the whole book? I don't know. I don't want to give the impression that I don't like it based on tone or pace or generally how "dark" it is, some of my favorite books are like that. But that's what jumps out at the moment.

Some stuff I thought was very good, just a few things before I stop rambling. The judge is written very well, I thought the way the reader was never shown directly how he did what he did was powerful. The character itself, he has some of the same qualities Anton Sigur does in No Country(the movie, also the reason I sought this out), borderline supernatural. The Judge will stick in my mind for a while. I thought the ending was very fitting, a great ending actually. I mentioned earlier about the descriptions being hit or miss and I still think that's true, regardless the language is beautiful. Ok, that's enough of that.

Up next is The Forsyte Sage by John Galsworthy. Checking it out based on a recommendation.

I'm with you on a lot of your thoughts about Blood Meridian. It's a daunting book that challenges the reader to find anything redeemable about it. In a lot of ways I found it a lot harder to read than Infinite Jest, which seems to be most people's White Whale. The scenes in the book that feature the judge are incredible, and there are a couple of scenes late in the novel that are truly masterful.

Nezumi

Been reading really slowly the last month or so. I only finished:

499122.jpg

and

51G7JW9BHKL._SY445_.jpg

Both were good, though I have to say that Dread Brass Shadows was my least favorite of the series so far. Might be due to the fact that it followed Old Tin Sorrows, which I thought was fantastic, and also had a really unsatisfying ending that felt a bit rushed. Red Iron Nights was a lot better in that regard.

Currently I'm reading (surprise, surprise!):

Deadly_Quicksilver_Lies.jpg

and for the GAF Book Club:

lolita_nabokov_lolita_lips_cover.jpg

The first is a light fun read as always and the later... well, I guess I'll wite my thoughts in the corresponding thread, as soon as I figuered out what exactly they are.

As far as audiobooks go I'm currently switching between:

slaughter-702495.jpg

and

Yendi_(Steven_Brust_novel_-_front_cover).jpg

I finished all six volumes of Clive Barker's Books of Blood a few weeks ago, but haven't really gotten around to reading anything else. Finally getting back on track with:

ykwpMa0.jpg

I've never read any of the Sonja Blue series, which is strange. It got really popular when I was reading vampire stuff. Anyway, I'm looking forward to checking it out. If I dig it, I'll probably move on to the next book, In the Blood. The Kindle version is pretty cheap.

Piecake

Just got done reading this series and I was impressed. I didnt have much expectations before I started reading it since I really never heard much about it, but it was very very good. The characters were well constructed/developed and the pacing and plot were very good and kept things entertaining.

So yea, I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are looking for a fantasy series that isnt dark, gritty, deary ('realistic' whatever the hell that means). I wouldnt describe it as a traditional fantasy series because since all of the characters, even the heroes actually feel human since they have flaws and are not some over powered character. But it really isnt in the mold of the current trend either.

I'd describe it somewhere in the middle, kinda like Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings. The world and magic system are definitely not as unique as that book, but this series definitely has better pacing

Nezumi

Just got done reading this series and I was impressed. I didnt have much expectations before I started reading it since I really never heard much about it, but it was very very good. The characters were well constructed/developed and the pacing and plot were very good and kept things entertaining.

So yea, I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are looking for a fantasy series that isnt dark, gritty, deary ('realistic' whatever the hell that means). I wouldnt describe it as a traditional fantasy series because since all of the characters, even the heroes actually feel human since they have flaws and are not some over powered character. But it really isnt in the mold of the current trend either.

I'd describe it somewhere in the middle, kinda like Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings. The world and magic system are definitely not as unique as that book, but this series definitely has better pacing

Sold! Will check out.

Sleepy

Finished Taipei.

books

Interesting prose, that's for sure. Lin's embedded phrases and clauses are impressive and seem to fit the temporal disruption of drug use quite well. And there are some interesting cultural insights the novel attempts, but I can't say I was that "moved" by the story or the characters--though I felt vaguely sympathetic towards Erin.

I don't feel the need to read anything else by Lin.

For you literary types, I keep trying to decide if this text was postmodern or metamodern. I don't think I have a clear decision yet, as some parts, especially the computer use was pure Baudrillard. Even the relationships seemed more post than meta.

amrod

sorta off topic but i read this book once about a guy billionaire who had a computer named HAL and it was about the end of america i think, I just cant remember its name :\

Anyone read anything like it?

velociraptor

Currently reading Dan Brown's Inferno.

images

About 40% in the book. While the premise sounds quite interesting (biological attack), feels a little tedious to read if I'm honest. But I hate leaving books unfinished so I guess I'll force myself to read it till the end :p

I will probably read some Joe Abercrombie once I finish this book. Have read three Dan Brown books in a row and I desperately need to take a break from both the author and the genre!

Bluemongoose

Neo Member
Finished Life of Pi

Conflicting thoughts... I initially quit reading the book around three quarters in (yeah I think everyone who's read the book knows where this post is going), for it drags out as fuck. Decided to finish it this morning and oh man, truly one of those books that both starts and ends with a high note. Brilliantly crafted theme and very lividly written. Made a complete 180 with my view of the book and would definitely recommend it to everyone.

For my next book I decided to start with Shadow of the Wind. Will see how it goes.

I loved Shadow of the Wind. I haven't read any of the author's other books, though. Haven't read Life of Pi or seen the movie.

Mumei

Your last suggestion was phenomenal, so I'll give this a shot sometime.

Narag

Moonraker by Ian Fleming

Covering the minutiae of Bond's actual job and how infrequent his big assignments are was a nice touch. Along with the vulnerable Bond stuff that's present, it rounds him out as a character. The bridge game with Hugo Drax was rather enjoyable and I hope I get more tense card games down the line after this and Casino Royale. I did find myself zoning out over the amount of detail used to describe the Moonraker project though.

Book was mostly solo Bond without the support of a Mathis or Leiter and I thought that hurt it some too. They presented a nice counterbalance to Bond's personality in the first two books and even though I got a little bit of that with M during the bridge game, it still felt lacking in that regard.

Piecake

Your last suggestion was phenomenal, so I'll give this a shot sometime.

Well, just to warn you, I definitely wouldnt put it in Dream of the Red Chamber category of Awesome. I would simply characterize it as a very good fantasy read. Below Game of Thrones, but kind of around the tier of Way of Kings and Long Price Quartet.

Reading Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. I really really liked the beginning in Paris but the Spain part seems kind of directionless and self indulgent, but whatever I love his writing style and would read Hemingway writing about anything even something as boring as bull fighting.

Jintor

I'm 15 books behind my schedule for my targeted reading this year. I get the feeling I'm not even going to equal the amount I read last year, which blows because it feels like I've read a lot more this year than last.

Probably the main culprit is handheld games stealing my commute time.

I'm 15 books behind my schedule for my targeted reading this year. I get the feeling I'm not even going to equal the amount I read last year, which blows because it feels like I've read a lot more this year than last.

Probably the main culprit is handheld games stealing my commute time.

What's your target?

Jintor

60. I've only read 17 so far. I read 50 last year without actually trying :T

To be fair, i think my selection is a lot better this year.

Top Bottom